main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    it's not really up in the air. Snoke explained how this works: as one grows more powerful in the Force so does the other. Basically Snoke could only be destroyed through a joint effort, which is what Rey and Kylo did. Rey and Kylo are equals though, and this will always be the case. Kylo is the darksider Rey can defeat if necessary.

If you need proof, neither Rey or Kylo could out pull the other for the saber. They are equal strength.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Lost_Hope likes this.
  2. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I'm not disputing this. I'm saying that Kylo Ren, as a supreme leader, can be orders of magnitude more threatening than Snoke to everyone else in the Galaxy, because he is unhinged. Until Rey reach him, he can be really damaging to people. And to reach him, she needs the Resistance because precisely, Kylo Ren knows that she is more powerful than him and he won't let her come close to him. Rey needs the Resistance to trust her and hiding information could be, potentially, a problem.

3. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    My theory is that the Force-skype sessions between Rey and Ben are going to be off for a while (time jump between VIII and IX) so Rey doesn't have to tell anyone about her connection to Ben. Now, I think that in episode IX the connection will come back (I do not know in what form) and in that case yes, I see Rey talking to Finn about it because their relationship is special, she trusts him.

modaubr likes this.
  4. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    @modaubr Snoke and the FO were terrible already though. They already were seizing control of GFFA. They already destroyed an entire planetary system.

5. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Yup Rey and Kylo are equals that much is obvious. If they fight again which i hope they do it will be interesting to watch with all their confusing feelings. Kylo is not a threat Rey cant handle so theres that. But killing Snoke was all Kylo , Rey was just his motivation.

6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    The whole situation distracted Snoke too much. This was kind of like the 1/1000 opportunity to kill him, as I see it. The Force was on Rey and Kylo's side.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  7. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont think she will talk to anyone about Kylo , she never has before. Even in TFA when Finn asked her if Kylo hurt her, she changed the subject. Rey keeps it to herself what happens b/w her and Kylo always. She didnt tell Luke or Leia either. I think the whole force bond thing will blow up in her face and she will struggle with it .

Akane likes this.
  8. modaubr

Mar 13, 2016
    I agree but we are speculating here and we don't know how the situation will evolve. I believe that there is room for the FO to be even worse and it could be the kind of situation where Rey hiding the details could be a problem for the Resistance, but not to Finn precisely. You don't and that's fine.

9. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Snoke was in control until Kylo tricked him and killed him. Rey was completely at Kylo's mercy. I am suprised they wrote that scene in this way. But yeah the fight after that was totally team work. I loved it so much. Force is certainly pro team up.

10. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Luke was completely at Vader's mercy in ESB. Yoda had to save Obi-Wan and Anakin from Dooku in AOTC. The point is though that I don't think that just any attempt Kylo made to trick Snoke would have worked. This one did, at this particular time, with Rey. Basically this was a window in which it was possible to kill Snoke. Those windows of opportunity aren't always there. (From my POV of course.)

rorow1 likes this.
  11. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I understand.
    Finally peaceful discussion amid all the negative environment.
    So ;)

12. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    Well maybe you're right It's just that from my point of view the relationship between Finn and Rey is going to keep strengthening and that's why I do not see Rey hiding things from him, nor do I see Finn distrusting her or judging her.

modaubr likes this.
  13. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Oh yeah you are right about finn rey relationship. I like it but our heroes need conflict too or else where will be the much needed drama.

Akane likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't really think Rey will talk to anyone about it unless there's some reason. I could see Luke since he knows about the Force. I could see Leia (but well, um... no CF). I could see Finn if Rey decides to do something Finn doesn't understand, so then she would explain. But Rey does like to keep things to herself. It's her nature.

Birkendoc, Akane and Star war like this.
  15. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    Yes, this is the kind of situation that I am picturing, Rey doing something weird or acting out of the ordinary due to her connection with Ben, and Finn worried about her (as it should be because they are friends) insists on knowing what is happening.

Yes, I definitely agree. I think Finn may feel fear and distrust the connection (not her) at the beginning, but he won't let that alienate him from Rey in the end.

modaubr and Star war like this.
  16. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I get why you are saying this, based on TLJ. BUT IX will not be a Rian Johnson story and his version of a Anakin-Padme-type "bad romance." :p ** I have this strong feeling that IX will feature force ghosts, Yoda, Luke, perhaps even Obi-Wan. And they will know all. So Rey cannot lie to them. She will talk to them about the Force bond and will have to sort out what happened with her. At this point, I see no reason why she would discuss her Force stuff with Finn, but there ARE others (FGs) who can fully understand her. With Finn, I HOPE to see the kind of friendship I saw in TFA, and which I absolutely adored.

** Complete with an "Across the Stars"-type "Force bond". :D

11-4D and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey won't be able to lie in IX because Force ghosts will know...

18. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    @forever_jedi Rey gaining knowledge from force ghosts would be preferable to Kylo. Even better if it’s Yoda, Obi-Wan, and/or Anakin. I know it’s useless but I don’t want any scenes with Luke. JJ won’t be able to fix what Rian torched there for me. Having said that, I think it’s incredibly sad that Rey’s gone from one life (by choice) of isolation to another (chosen one by the force). I hate the idea that Rey can only talk about what’s going on with her with other force sensitive people. Like Finn could never understand her struggles or offer up advice because he’s not special like her. I was hoping the ST would mesh the sides better where one side wasn’t considered better than the other and actually worked together.

I think the only people who want the Rey-Finn friendship back front and center more than us is Daisy and John themselves. :)

Hypatia, CairnsTony, Star war and 4 others like this.
  19. modaubr

Mar 13, 2016
    Yeah, and surprisingly I don't see this discussed much. To me, the great merit from TFA, despite its many problems, was the partnership between Rey & Finn, how 'meshed' were the two sides of Star Wars, the Force and the war, because these two characters would embody these two concepts. The sense I get now from TLJ, is how separated are these two sides. Not only these they are almost completely structurally separated during the movie, but when they are reunited (like the Battle of Crait), the Resistance looks at the force wielders almost with too much ... respect, I guess ? I did not get the sense that everyone can contribute to the fight, it's only up to the Jedi.

The Starkiller base fight in the forest was exactly the opposite : Finn protected Rey as much as he could until she was in a position to protect him. There was sense of partnership, mutual help, that has been lost in VIII.

And I agree that it puts Rey in a very solitary position : she is a chosen one, the only person she can relate to is Kylo Ren. Not only it's not exactly the most healthy relation, but it further isolates the character that suffered the most from being alone. And having her communicate only with dead Jedi or Force-sensitive people, feels like a fishbowl.

Personally it even produces some kind of side effects in terms of character development : I really wish that Rey will end up with someone, romantically speaking. I wish she will have her own family. All the thing that I consider stereotypical for a woman in fiction ! But it's just that Rey is so lonely after TLJ that if she ends up with only good friends, it's almost too 'abstract', too perfect, too idealistic for a character that was forced into loneliness: I find myself wanting her to have people that will stay forever with her. Obviously I am on the Finn & Rey board, so it's clear in which direction my heart leans, yet I feel that it's never going to happen but at least pair her with Lt Connix/R2/Chewie or make her adopt children. Yeah, she is in a weird spot and so am I with this character...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Hypatia, CairnsTony, Rhyoth and 3 others like this.
  20. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    @Jazz9276
    Could you be anymore spot on? Lol

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  21. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I think they have to put finn rey relationship front and center bcoz it is the only positive and lighter relation left in ST. Rest is just bleak.

TFA was a feel good movie bcoz of them.
    TLJ was sad and depressing on so many levels.
    So i hope 9 will go back to that feel good and fun factor.

22. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Reminds me of the Thor trilogy omg.

modaubr likes this.
  23. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    I don't think that Finn and Rey have the only light and positive relationship left in the ST (Finn and Poe + Finn and Rose). I agree nonetheless that EP IX will be focused on Finn/Rey relationship. They started this journey together and will probably end it together.
    I want an emotional moment where the two sits together in silence and where they are completely at ease with each other, maybe they are just eating or enjoying each other company in a small moment of peace.
    It will make us realize how much both changed since the start of TFA and grew up emotionally but no matter what, the major constant in their life is the bond between them (like in Harry Potter with the trio first appearance vs their last appearance).

modaubr and Star war like this.
  24. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Oh yeah. I was just talking about Rey's relationships.

25. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah if anything I think the end of TLJ showed Rey opening up to more people actually. Especially the scene with Poe. So she'll be making some new friends along the way and feeling more at home which is good. It's a good contrast between the good relationships like Finn/Rey/Poe/Rose/Chewie, and the toxic ones the villains have with Kylo Ren and Hux both wanting the other dead.

EDIT: as much as im not looking forward to the novelisation of TLJ, I noticed that the description focuses on Rey and Finn's journeys. I have to be honest it would be great if, now that Rian's hold on the ST is dwindling, once JJ came back it went back to being about Rey and Finn as the heroes.

EDIT: Of course that's just wishful thinking (dont hurt me for my optimism) but still. The movie description described it as Rey and Kylo Ren, whereas the novel is different, so it's worth noting.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.