main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Don't waste your time thinking about a Rey-Finn-Rose love triangle. There is no way that is going to happen. It would be a thoroughly non-compelling love triangle. There is no competition there.

2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    ok stop you know what they meant. you really think people in the audience hear those lines and think "Wow Finn's such a responsible diligent man. I love those things about him and I'm glad that he's apart of the Star Wars lore!" So far the only character Rian wants the audience to relate to is his self-insert, so I wouldnt expect anyone to try to relate to Finn. Especially in a *****y way like that. It's not remarkable to hear those types of lines and characteristics from people who look like John =_=

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I think from an upper middle class perspective people would think it admirable that Finn has put in hard work. It's just that in the upper middle class that's never something you felt stuck in. It's something you did briefly until you went back to your important upper middle class world in which everyone does everything painful and inconvenient for you. But I agree it's even worse when it's race + class. Much much worse.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Funny enough this line and the previous one about his sanitation duties could've been worked into something interesting. There's a book and film called "The Spook who sat by the door" which is a fictional account of the life of the first black CIA agent who completes all the required training with High Marks and is then relegated to working the Copy machine. He eventually quits and takes his skills to his brothers and sisters in Chicago, teaching them to be Freedom Fighters within the USA.

Considering the two bolded lines, reconsider how Finn's lines about his previous duties could be reworked to show his ability at observation and just how little attention the FO pays to it's people. Show more of his infiltration of SKB, have Finn instructing Han and Chewie to take cover at specific intervals, because Finn knows exactly when a patrol will walk by. Have him use the FO's regimented life style and schedule against it to take down the Shields. Repeat that on the Supremacy, a run of bad luck being the only reason they're captured. (Captain Picard: It's possible to commit no mistake and still lose).

Show that Finn is clearly talented and capable fighter, but that due to the FO pigeonholing their people he will NEVER be allowed to be more than what THEY want him to be. Have that be the bone of contention that eventually makes him question the First Order on the whole.

"It started selfishly. While guarding the hanger bay one of the techs let me peek into the cockpit....after which I tried requesting a transfer to the Flight program and was denied out right...hell they LAUGHED me out of the office. 'You're a Trooper, stay in your lane.' they said. Then Phasma took a chunk out of my hid for trying be a pilot. It's when I began questioning things...I mean...how the hell did THEY know I wouldn't make a good pilot? They never even gave me a chance!"

Ryanpaulstewart and oncafar like this.
  5. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB-8 Reveals Rey’s Goodbye

Keep an eye on BB-8, because the roly-poly droid is keeping an eye on you.

In another deleted scene from The Last Jedi, Finn is struggling with whether to abandon the Resistance.

That’s when BB-8 rolls up on him with a hologram of Rey saying an emotional goodbye to Finn while he lay unconscious in his recovery pod, gravely wounded by Kylo Ren’s lightsaber attack.

Originally, Johnson says the hologram was just a way to remind the audience of Rey and Finn’s friendship, since they spend most of the film separated.

“I was looking for any opportunity I could to emotionally connect those two,” the director says. “I thought it was a really sweet little scene. I loved John Boyega’s performance in it. Ultimately it was meant to explain his motivation for going [to find Rey and quit the Resistance], but we realized that you understood his motivation, because he tells it to Rose. Once we realized we could get away without it, it was something that just naturally fell away.”

It also shows the mischievous and somewhat unsettling personality of BB-8.

“Little sneak,” Johnson says. “You’ve got to watch what you’re saying around BB-8. It’s all on the record.”

The big loss was leaving out a good joke. “I miss John’s line, ‘That’s kind of creepy you recorded that.’”

Source: https://sleemo.tumblr.com

I guess BB-8 is a FinnxRey shipper :bb8head:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Balmorra, rorow1, civilsecret and 2 others like this.
  6. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    interesting scene. definitely hoping JJ expands on their relationship

Ren Kylo, rorow1, civilsecret and 2 others like this.
  7. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness I understand why the scene was cut....but I think I'd have preferred it be left in. There's something to be said for visual storytelling over being flat out told something.

Of course BB-8 is a FinnxRey shipper....the little droid is a smart one.

9. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    After the hug she gave him in TFA it's obvious that she cares about him and he knows it, but this kind of gestures (she kissing him and promising that they would see each other again) help strengthen their relationship. I really want to see Finn's reaction.

After everything he did in the movie there is no doubt that BB-8 is the gary stu of the droids.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    He won't earn that title till he takes down Kylo Ren........actually....

11. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    @Akane I'll admit it reminds me of when Artoo could suddenly fly in AotC, and all the weird crazy spasm he had in RotS that helped free Obi-Wan and Anakin. I don't think it makes it any better, though. BB-8 was turning into a plot convenience just like Artoo. Not sure why Finn and Rose couldn't have taken down the guards after escaping their cell. I'd love to see a logical play-by-play on how BB-8 managed to overpower, tie up and gag the guards. I won't hold my breath though...

On another note though, I don't get why people keep saying,"Rian intended for Finn and Rey to be friends, so that's all they'll ever be." Rian had control over one episode. He also intended for Luke to be an a******, and Ben/Kylo to be sympathetic. You think I buy that? If he had control over IX, then I would understand, but he doesn't. In fact, we know now that he went off script and did his own thing outside of JJ's initial "rough sketch," so his opinion for the ST, means literally nothing at this point. Now that JJ's back in control, he can do whatever he wants. Including tossing out Rian's ideas.

It's like George Lucas coming out and telling LFL, "I meant for Luke, Leia, Han and Lando to have happy lives after RotJ!" You think that would mean anything? NO. Because he has no control over the story.

Yet at the same time, they ignore comments from Daisy, JJ, and John where they express support for Finn and Rey's relationship, and deny statements against their opinions as "fake" (sound familiar?).

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    At least R2 did things using hardware that you'd naturally expect an astromech droid to have. It made scenes like the one where he managed to burn those super battle droids in ROTS really cool to see.

13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Right definitely. You've got a point there. But with BB-8 it just felt like it was for a cheap laugh. And it wasn't funny. Finn and Rose should've overpowered the guards. And by the time BB-8 got into the Walker I was so checked out =_=

Rhyoth likes this.
  14. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I fixed it.

Maybe, maybe not. I am one of those who thinks that we will never know the truth of the problems that are happening behind the scenes, if there is any problem at all, I prefer not to draw hasty conclusions from words that can be misinterpreted.

About Rey and Finn, I think they can remain friends or their relationship can evolve and become a great romance, I think both scenarios are perfectly probable, credible and therefore I would have no problems with some of these two outcomes.

15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    After TFA came out, there was a common complaint among older fans that BB-8 couldn't hold a candle to Artoo.

Because Artoo was way more useful, outside of an x-wing, than BB-8 was.

Now the tables have turned

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  17. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I wouldn't really take anyone's words to heart about if they say something good about Star Wars content. John couldn't stop talking about how badass Finn was gonna be in TLJ. He was...a little bit better. Marginally. Defeating Phasma was cool I guess, and the emotional almost-sacrifice scene was cool. That's honestly it.

JJ saying that RJ's ideas were good can't really mean much because they can't really say much else. That's why I take opposing comments a little bit more seriously. And part of me feels like JJ wasn't entirely allowed to lock the more major plot points down in the first episode just because of perhaps various reasons. Maybe just to leave open more possibilities for whoever was in charge of the next ones.

I mean, Rian's said multiple times that Finn was absolutely a main protagonist, and had a huge arc of his own adn really "dug deep" into his character. And that Luke and Rey were the "beating heart" of the film. So again, sometimes it feels like they say things just to keep people quiet sometimes.

So when Daisy or Mark or Oscar said something that sounds a tad more straight forward, it at least feels more genuine and doesn't feel like they're getting paid to say "promote" the film or something. Hopefully that makes more sense.

But on the topic of Finn and Rey, JJ's the one who created the dynamic, and worked on it a lot to make it work with John and Daisy. So part of me feels like he'd want to take care of it a little bit more than Rian clearly wanted to.

mlsw likes this.
  18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I can't agree with this at all. It feels like we're willfully discarding any opinion that we don't like to uphold our own POV. The truth is these actors and directors might legitimately enjoy and like the direction things have gone in. Sure they have worries...but that doesn't mean the worries override what they see as good. John Boyega might've have enjoyed the entire "Canto Bight' sequence cause from his POV it fits in with the idea of Finn growing and learning about the wider universe and it's moral conflicts. Same goes for the rest of the caste.

CosmicDust and rorow1 like this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, he enjoyed the sequence. Well, better change my opinion. :rolleyes:

Blastaar likes this.
  20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Alright well, bad wording by me so I guess I'll just drop the subject

21. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

THANK YOU. I can't stand this bull**** where people act like the fact that the black guy being a goddamned janitor, is a non issue, or that the issue people take with it isn't about race. GTFOutta here with that.

22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Um I wasn't saying it's a non-issue. If I thought it was a non-issue I wouldn't have commented.

Doing the labor for everyone else is what the lower class does. And some people expect others to do all the hard things like cleaning and paperwork and meeting their needs for them. The service industry is often full of people working at minimum wage.

Are a higher percentage of African Americans in the servant class than the percentage of European Americans in it? I don't know the stats, but I'd assume the answer is yes, and by a lot.

23. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Interesting tidbit from the junior novelization. Guess she was jealous after all?

[​IMG]

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Hopefully it's that. And not her ego.

Then again, the "puzzled" response gives more weight to ego than jealousy.

Or she's just confused with her feelings. And doesn't understand.

25. Deerborne

Deerborne Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2015
    Rey's not exactly an egomaniac. This just says jealousy to some degree to me, especially when you factor in John's tweet from a few months ago and the deleted scene that implied a Rose/Finn/Rey triangle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.