main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's romantic future is with... who?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 27, 2017.

?

Finn's romantic future is with...

1. Rey

40.2%
  2. Rose

39.1%
  3. Poe

20.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Finn's romantic future is with...

Rey?
    [​IMG]

Rose?
    [​IMG]

Poe?
    [​IMG]

2. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    If it's a vote, I want Poe. Loves me some Stormpilot. Just adore the chemistry between the two characters.

3. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Poe?!
    Hillarious!!

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I prefer the path of singleness for him.

Their is to much at stake right now for the galaxy, and the need to rebuild the resistance and defeat the first order. If he is going to partake in a romance, its better left to the post-IX world. After this war is over.

Poe shouldn't even be an option. If they were going to reveal Finn is also attracted to men, that should have already been done.

5. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    I want a love triangle between Rey +Poe+Finn

6. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I wish it were Poe but Rose just kissed him and told him she loved him. She's too cute to have her heart broken

Lee_, Mostly Handless, B99 and 3 others like this.
  7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Why isn't Phasma an option?

:(

8. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Poe!

[​IMG]

Trinu 3.0 and Birkendoc like this.
  9. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I love the fact that Rose is so devoted to him.... he deserves someone who adores him and sees him as the big deal and hero he is capable of being- the Finn.... especially after spending years as a child soldier with no sense of belonging....so my vote is for Rose.

cerealbox, Lee_, Yora and 1 other person like this.
  10. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    Time out expired on editing my comment, but I figured I'd add why for Finn/Poe. This... uh, got long.

I really love how Finn never had to prove himself to Poe. Even on the Finalizer, Finn laid out everything and Poe trusted him, even though the situation was so dire, and I love how in the TIE-fighter, they were running for their lives, but still took a moment to get to know each other. lol It's a sweet natural spark. I also liked in the end, when Poe calls Finn a good man, even if Finn didn't see it in himself. I can't really ship Rose/Finn because while she thinks Finn is great, she only really likes the legend of Finn. Part of the trip to Canto Bight was breaking that down for her. The kiss struck me less as Rose wanting to kiss Finn, but being swept up in the adrenaline and chaos and forgetting that The Finn doesn't exist, even if he's in a sense right there. Finn was always pitted against the ideal. Poe also heralded Finn for his heroism, but it's different since he knows Finn first hand, seeing him as the terrified stormtrooper who went on to save BB-8 when the last time they spoke, Finn was irritated that they wasted time going back to Jakku. I felt like Poe seeing the goodness in Finn without caveats and trusting him deeply was further developed more in TLJ when Poe trusted Finn with the Canto Bight mission. They also have physical chemistry like in the gif I posted. When Finn was cradling Poe after the explosion in the hanger in TLJ. When BB-8 told Poe that Finn was naked and in a leaking bag, then once they met Poe couldn't stop checking him out.

I like this line in Poe Dameron: Flight Log:
    I was left shaking in the chair. I thought I was dead. I thought I had doomed the Resistance, the galaxy.

But I should've remembered what my mother said about the galaxy being a fundamentally good place, even in the darkest times.

Because that's when a stormtrooper--a First Order stormtrooper--opened the cell door and rescued me.

I like how Finn was Poe's spark of hope in one of his darkest times.

11. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    All 3. Let's make this interesting.

Jo Lucas and panki like this.
  12. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm afraid it will be the least satisfying one : Rose.

But let's not lose all hope : JJ is much better at directing J. Boyega, and KMT is just adorable. So, the aberation that is currently Finn-Rose could still turn into something actually engaging.

13. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    Rose, most likely.

I think he had good chemistry with Rey though and if it had been up to JJ, I'm pretty sure he would have paired them up.

Poe and Finn is ridiculous and never going to happen.

I'd like to see Finn and Rose as new Rogue Squadron pilots after a time skip Poe stepping into Leia's role as a general.

14. MGM

MGM Jedi Knight

Jan 23, 2017
    None of them hopefully.

I rather them develop his character then waste his last film appearance on romantic subplot bs.

Jedi_Fenrir767, Shadojoker and Rhyoth like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Poe is too obvious. Oh two guys are chummy….they must be gay!

That said, I voted for Poe because he and Finn both need to be in IX more.

16. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I went with Rose but only because there wasn't an option for "no one."
    I think it would be more interesting to go with little to no romance in this trilogy. So far they've done that. We only know Finn expressed some attraction to Rey in TFA and then Rose showed her feelings for Finn in TLJ. It was hard to tell what Finn feels for her but he stayed at her side on the Falcon at the end. So right now, if there has to be something, those two would make the most sense.

scuiggefest likes this.
  17. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    May I ask why you believe Rose is the "least satisfying one" ?? I'm intrigued to hear this explanation...

18. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    *whom*

CosmicDust likes this.
  19. Rhyoth

Dec 20, 2015
    First off, that kiss just came out of nowhere : all of their prior romantic interactions were cut, to a point where it simply doesn't work.

Second, it is basically just a watered-down version of Finn-Rey, following the exact same story beats (but minus the fun, good writing, cool moments or relevance to the plot) : both girls :
    _ start off as suposedly modest unassuming girls
    _ knock Finn down during their first encounter
    _ start off falsely believing Finn is more heroic than he actually is
    _ quickly grow to realize their own potential for heroism
    _ quickly take "the lead" in the relationship
    ... there are many other paralells, i'm just too lazy to dig them all up. The most infuriating part is that Rian had Finn regress, so he could repeat the exact same arc with another girl.

Also, Rose is just awfully written, period. She comes off way too patronizing, and is growing way too quickly for an alledged fan-girl / lowly mechanic. And that last line of her : just cringeworthy.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  20. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    @Rhyoth
    So is the issue with the regression of Finn as a character, or that the development of relationship seemed to forced. Because addressing the issue of Finn, his character development evolved in this film and we see this because his fixation on Rey guided his decisions throughout the film until the Battle of Crait where he chose to try and sacrifice himself for the cause. As to the kiss, it wasn't forced, it was followed after Rose realized Finn was the hero she heard about, it took time for both to realize this but they did. And in that moment Rose showed an emotional attachment.

CosmicDust likes this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm guessing Rose.

22. Rhyoth

Dec 20, 2015
    @Ben-Solo
    Both, and more.
    The kiss may be natural for Rose, but what matter is us, the audience. There was no build-up for us : no flirt, no "back & forth" between the two.
    We only got Rian-the-fanfic-author* delivering some "the reason you suck" speeches through Rose ... and then a kiss (quick before Rey comes back !)
    As for Finn's fixation on Rey, it was already fixed in TFA, by Han Solo and his "People are counting on us, the Galaxy is counting on us" sermon. Han's very last lesson !
    There was simply no need to make an arc about that to begin with !
    (and it could have easily solved itself anyway, upon learning the misfit he once knew is now a space-wizard who doesn't need his protection)

Finn came into TLJ with 99 problems : caring about Rey wasn't one of them (and it was solved a second time when he gave the pendant to Poe : after 5 min)
    *not the guy who wrote Luke's part. No, the other guy...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    afrojedi, MGM and Blastaar like this.
  23. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I agree for the most part (I think). For the most part because I agree that I don't think the kiss was forced, but only because I don't think we're supposed to be rooting for them romantically. Rose believing in Finn as a heroic figure, her crush, the kiss, it was a sort of painful juvenile moment I'd expect from a young adult coming of age novel, which I think was a smart move of RJ. Finn hasn't really had any small scale, everyday/average life moments where he can experience an honest awkward moment, so socially his world is expanding because of TLJ and it's giving him more happy memories. Plus with Rose saying they ought to fight for what they love, not what they hate, not only does it change how Finn regards the Resistance, but himself, how he should view life and his life, what it all means besides the war. After meeting Rose, I think he stops seeing himself as an ex-trooper and just a guy trying to make it with the cards he's been dealt. I viewed the suicide run as him getting really close to the lesson TLJ was teaching him, but sacrificing himself was missing the point and Rose crashing into his ship was the final shove in the right direction.

I feel like a lot of little nuances get missed when people ship the trilogy characters. Like how Rose's kiss seems forced if they're supposed to be the trilogy's romance, but it reinforces Finn's arc in TLJ if it's meant to be awkward and not necessarily a romance we're supposed to be rooting for. I think this is also why if we get a romance in this trilogy, it ought to involve Finn. Romance adds to his story since he's been robbed of so much as a stormtrooper. I doubt he thought about a love life at all in the First Order, which makes it an interesting story line for him because it's challenging him to change how views himself and his life and what he wants for himself.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  24. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I think we will have a Finn romance with Rose, but I also believe it will not be the only one. @CosmicDust

25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It will be with Rose unfortunately - That character did nothing for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.