main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's romantic future is with... who?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 27, 2017.

?

Finn's romantic future is with...

1. Rey

40.2%
  2. Rose

39.1%
  3. Poe

20.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebellious Princess

Rebellious Princess Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2018
    If Adam and John talked about how innocent their character are, no headcanon will change that.

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    it's that they are depicted like this. And it's like all the characters have a sexual awakening of sorts in TLJ. That layer is in the Rey/Kylo dynamic. Also Rose seems like someone who might have been in a relationship before but Finn seems like he's new to all of this.

Rebellious Princess likes this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Actors thoughts aren't canon. We all know that.

4. Rebellious Princess

Jul 27, 2018
    If they are playing the role that way, it is, since that is how they are portraying the character.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I suppose I'm shocked at some of this talk of "innocence" being associated with sexual activity. One of my best friends, 25, is the very model of "innocence"; he's basically Goofy personified. Meanwhile he has two kids and a wife.

I never assumed Luke...and Leia...and Han...and Lando were all just, magically, virgins.

So while I'm fine with any given character being a virgin, I do find it a huge surprise to see fans trying to argue that literally ALL the adult sequel trilogy characters are virgins. Especially when they all come from various backgrounds and planet, many of which might not have the same take on sexuality as the western schools of thought most of us hail from. That's extraordinarily implausible to me.

If this was the Harry Potter forum I'd totally get it. But I don't think I've ever experienced a group of fans arguing that all the adult characters in a franchise are devoid of sexual histories.

6. Rebellious Princess

Jul 27, 2018
    All of them? We only mentioned the ST trio (Rey, Finn and Kylo). Poe and Rose likely have experience.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    No, that really, really isn't true. As a professionally trained actor I will tell you straight up that we often create back stories that have nothing to do with the writing.

Finn will be a virgin if canon writing says so. JB has 0 say in what is canon for Finn's sexual history.

8. Rebellious Princess

Jul 27, 2018
    I give up. I'm insulted by this whole topic and done with it.

jaqen likes this.
  9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    @jaqen by innocence I kind of mean in a sexual way in addition to being childlike. I assumed Luke to be a virgin in OT. Never Han. Wasn't sure about Leia. But Luke, Leia and Han were all more adult-like than Rey, Finn and Kylo. Leia seems like a woman in ANH. Rey seems like a girl in TFA. (for example)

Finn is one who I could possibly be swayed on, but not Rey or Kylo.

Oh and Lando was not a virgin. He was pretty obvious to me like Han.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    godisawesome and jaqen like this.
  10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I respect that. You sound as baffled and over it as I do, albeit for different reasons.

I agree there's really nowhere else to go with this discussion.

Rebellious Princess likes this.
  11. Rebellious Princess

Jul 27, 2018
    Yeah it's the topic itself and my personal feelings are showing probably because we are just going no where with it. I'm not upset at you, just how out of hand it got.

jaqen likes this.
  12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Finn's background in Greg Rucka's Before the Awakening definitely depicted a life for Finn that wasn't the most conducive to serious physical and emotional intimacy; Finn's aptitude for certain aspects of Stormtrooper training appear to have fast-tracked him from squad to squad, worsening the already dehumanizing and anti-socialization nature of the FO Stormtrooper corps as presented in the story. While his squad includes members with nicknames like Nines and Slip, I believe it's inferred those are very much against protocol, and Slip's nickname comes from his squadmates' annoyance at him not being an exemplary trainee, corresponding to a toxic, social-Darwinist ethos encouraged by the FO.

That does not mean that physical intimacy was an impossibility for Finn or other Stormtroopers. Life finds a way, humans cross the stars to find new ways to "dance," etc. But we are dealing with an inherently twisted organization in the FO raising kids to be outright cannon fodder and relying on brainwashing and public execution to maintain obedience. We can't really compare the FO Stormtrooper Corps to the Spartans or Jannissaries; both groups were raised as elite fighters with a vested place in the social hierarchy, while the Stormtroopers in the FO seem more comparable in social rank to the helots of Sparta.

On the one hand, human nature pretty much demands that there's got to be some hippity-dippity going on in the Stormtrooper Corps. But what little informations we've got on Finn's time there and in the movies seems to imply he's inexperienced in that arena.

With Rey, it's mostly just a question of whether or not a) there would be acceptable candidates on Jakku for Rey to seek companionship with, and b) whether or not she would have been exploited. I don't believe the latter is the case, simply because she seems based off the fictional archetype of the self-reliant street rat only barely exploited by the system, and only then for profit, but I could be wrong.

Poe, Rose, and Kylo (since he only turned after getting past 20) all have a quote-unquote "normal" enough backstory that anything is possible.

11-4D and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    ~stares at screen for a long while and contemplates life~

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Lol. Why are starring at my signature?!?

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    No....but the reaction he had dosen't really fit that of a human that's feeling romantic towards another person. Here is another surprise kiss

Notice that Katara....actually closes her eyes and leans in a bit during the kiss...and is clearly blushing afterwards. Finn has NOTHING like that happen.

another example

No arms wrapping around the woman in questions, a look of surprise on his face...though he does take a little pride in it later. That said, some context helps here....The Doctor does have feelings for this female....however...she is NOT acting like herself and so he suspects she's been possessed or otherwise compromised...hence his lack of response to her kiss...and even HE shows more of a response than Finn does to Rose's kiss.

Why not? A military organization like the First Order probably isn't all that interested in their kidnapped troops getting romantically or physically involved with one another. Oh they might have a breeding program for their really successful troops....but love could get in the way of loyalty to the First Order...so it could be discouraged. Also...in TFA's opening shot of the Storm Troopers...Finn is slightly out of line, which is meant to show he stands apart from the other troopers. He's the odd one out, which makes it even less likely that he's been previously involved in a romantic relationship...or physical intimacy.

There's nothing that suggests the alternative either. What we DO have is the actors and current literature backing up the concept that Finn's very inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships...and there's nothing wrong with that. Honestly, Finn's a lot more stable than I'd normally expect considering his upbringing, and if a lack of romantic experience is the trade-off for being otherwise well adjusted....well I'll take that honestly.

Addendum:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    AhsokaSolo likes this.
  17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    He was literally raised from birth to do nothing but fight for the First Order. I don’t think he really had time to find love with a woman.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they ever go the route of revealing all first order stormtroopers are sterilized/eunuchs.

As far as “boyfriend? Cute boyfriend?”, I never really interpreted that as being a “testing the waters” sort of thing. It was more of him being annoyed over her wanting to return to Jakku. Him lying to her about being in the Resistance seemed like more of a way to save his own ass instead of telling a woman he just saw beat two grown men into oblivion with a stick “im a first order stormtrooper”

Rey is really being sent in the direction of a love triangle between Ben and Poe, I think. She wants to love Ben, and tried to help, and couldn’t. Ben is obsessed with her. The “no one” scene in Snoke’s throne room was more like a marriage proposal over an attempt to seduce her to the dark side. With Leia passing and Ben finding out Rey has taken up with Poe, that’s the last straw for his humanity.

18. Rebellious Princess

Jul 27, 2018
    No offence but Rey/Poe makes as much sense as Finn/Connix.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Well..... :D

20. Rebellious Princess

Jul 27, 2018
    Hey it could work, but they need more than a few seconds of screen time together! ;)

godisawesome and Darth Smurf like this.
  21. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    If they’re all virgins, it would explain the infantile romantic angst littering the ST so far. I never for a second thought about whether any of the OT3 were virgins until I came around this forum and people expressed the opinion. In hindsight, unconsciously I always assumed especially Leia had experience. She was a confident woman that knew her way around men. She told Han that she happens to like nice men, meaning she’s been around enough men in a potentially romantic context to have formed the opinion. In my head canon, Han and Leia had sex on the MF before reaching Cloud City, but Leia was still hesitant about the relationship. Han’s “I know” comes off super intimate to me. Luke the farm boy seemed like he could have had a nice high school sweetheart, or not, but he didn’t come across totally clueless either.

Rey and Finn come across childlike in TFA, but I assumed that was for purposes of them having coming-of-age journeys, not because I expected them to have sexual awakenings as plot focuses. There is lots of fiction that exists to tell that kind of story. Star Wars isn’t that. If Finn has romance in IX, I don’t expect him being a virgin or not to come up. I expect it to be a side plot, at best, that is at least attempting to be cute and sweet.

I also think an actor describing how they play the part does not make it canon. JB describing playing Finn as a virgin makes sense to me in the context of an actor getting into the role and choosing to play things a certain way, but there is nothing explicitly sexual in Finn’s story to canonically indicate it one way or the other. If he had sex with another ST or seven along the way, it wouldn’t preclude this guy that grew up in a brainwashing murderous cult from being naive about romance or really anything outside of his normal. What I take from his naivety is he hasn’t had an opportunity to fall in love and grow an attachment to somebody. Rey was his first experience with emotion of that sort.

22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I searched Finn/Connix on YT hoping someone brought this unlikely pairing to life, but all I could find was Poe/Connix.

23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Lol. Why is the Poe/Connix song the Moana theme?

oncafar likes this.
  24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I know! Hee.

cerealbox likes this.
  25. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Well I hate that trope and I love that t is @cerealbox’s sig line.

cerealbox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.