main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Fire and Ice (Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme, ROTS AU--Updated 12/28)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by talesofyesac, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I was going to wait until I caught up to give you feedback again but I can't wait! Your chapters are beautifully long so it's going to take me awhile :p

Even though I've only seen the inside of Padme's apartment so far, you've created a complete alternate universe, and that is really impressive. I can feel Obi-Wan's pain, of another failure and the suffocation of being trapped in that apartment, with Vader, without the Force, so hard.

The way Anakin is acting is so interesting - not completely being able to let go of the past. Very characteristic I think. I love that he didn't kill Obi because he couldn't let go.

In a way, this is very hard to read. Poor Obi-Wan!! But I am hooked. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

2. The_Nerfherder

The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2010
    Nicely done! It really seems as if there's still hope ... :D Beautiful work!

3. talesofyesac

talesofyesac Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2008
    Obimom: Yes, he needs the Force back soon?he?s not used to dealing with these memories on his own. But you?re right?Anakin is at least starting to feel guilty, which is promising.

anakin_girl: Anakin may be in there, but both him and Obi-Wan need to realize that. Otherwise, it?s not going to matter. And, you know, I feel back for Anakin too?with his need for attachment, he really wasn?t made for the Jedi Order.

JediMara77: Obi-Wan breaks my heart on a regular basis. It?s probably why I find his character so fascinating? but excerpts like that really just make me want to hug him.

Valairy_Scot: Thank you! That means a lot to hear. :)

Jade_eyes: I agree. He could go either way.

serendipityaey: I always thought it was a distinct possibility with Obi-Wan. Obviously, ROTS explored what would happen if he did go through with it? but I find the other option really intriguing. I?m also convinced that if Anakin had a moment to stop and think about it, he wouldn?t have killed Obi-Wan either. Maybe in the heat of the fight, kind of like how he attacked Padme?but after, I think he?d have regretted it. You?re right?he?s not very good at letting go.

Darth_Drachonus: Sure!

The_Nerfherder: Oh, there?s definitely hope!

4. talesofyesac

Dec 26, 2008
    "Would you kill him?"

Startled, Obi-Wan looks up from where he's reading the morning holonet news on his datapad. "Pardon?"

Padme regards him with an unnerving sort of conviction. It worries Obi-Wan; it's too early in the morning for this sort of talk, especially when he's not even sure he'd have answers at a more optimum time. Last night was... just too much, and it's too soon to rehash it all.

It's too soon to even really acknowledge that he'll eventually have to.

"Now, I mean. If you had the chance, would you kill Anakin?"

"I hardly think it matters anymore." It's a bad lie, and he winces as soon as he's told it.

Padme is sharp?she catches his hesitation and regards him with a raised eyebrow and thinned lips. "We both know that's not true." From where she's cradled in her mother's arms, Leia gives a fussy cry. "It matters more than ever."

"Can we talk about this some other time?" he asks, scrubbing a hand over his face. Force, he's so tired, so emotionally worn down. How long can he possibly continue like this? How can he keep going when events such as the previous night are still occurring?

Honestly, he would like nothing better than to forget everything about last night. Even after he and Anakin had come home, he hadn't been able to banish the memory of Bail on the floor of his cell, huddled with his knees to his chest, trying to keep warm. Just the thought alone is enough to make him want to vomit?not that he thinks there's actually anything left in his stomach. He took care of that all last night when his memories tormented him to the point of physical sickness.

Padme's sharp gaze never wavers, and this, Obi-Wan thinks, is why she was such a successful politician. She wasn't like the rest?she hadn't needed to be. This frank, blunt stare is enough. "No. You can't keep avoiding a decision about where your loyalties lie."

"My loyalty is with the Jedi Order. That was never in question."

"So if you still had a lightsaber, and you had the opportunity to kill Anakin and end all this, would you?"

The very idea of the conversation they're having is completely surreal. They're having it in Anakin's home?a conversation about killing Anakin, and they're having it in his home. "Padme, are you aware that Anakin has likely found a way to listen to every word we say?"

She shrugs. "It's not anything he doesn't already know. I'm sure that he thinks you'd kill him. He still cares about you anyway, at least as much as he's truly capable."

"That doesn't mean you need to confirm his suspicions for him."

"Honestly, I don't really care anymore."

"Don't say that." Exhaling harshly, he looks down at Leia. "You have too much to live for."

"Do I? When my children get older, can you promise me that I won't have to see them trained to follow the darkness that took my husband from me? Do I truly want to see that, Obi-Wan?"

No, he can't say that if he were in her place, he would. He's not in her place and he still doesn't want to see that, because these children?they might as well be his own. He cares that much, even if he knows he shouldn't.
    He always has been rather inclined to form attachments, after all.

"You wouldn't kill him, would you?" she asks after a few moments. "Even after everything he's done, you wouldn't kill him."

And that--it's not a question. Just a statement of a fact that she finds simple and obvious.

Maybe she's right. Obi-Wan's not even sure anymore. In fact, the only thing he is sure about is that he doesn't want to think about what he would or wouldn't do in regard to Anakin.

He's afraid he won't like the answer.

"I don't know what I'd do."

"Yes, you do. You just don't want to admit it to yourself. You don't want to admit that this is one situation where you might not be able to do what the Jedi Order requires of you."

"Padme, he's like my brother... like my son. I raised him. I love him."

It's that simple. Just that simple, and hearing the words?it makes it real in a way that it wasn't until he spoke it.

She smiles wryly, her eyes tinged with weariness

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The difference faces of love - and very interesting contrast and so - well - believable. Stunning conversation.

6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    This update was so wonderful. There were so many things I liked about it that it would be futile to try to quote them all.

But this:

Leia, as much as he loves her, isn't the same. Whereas Luke seems to calm when Anakin holds him, Leia becomes fussy, agitated to the point where she cries. Oddly, he thinks it's because she's too much like him. The darkness that she can sense in him obviously upsets her, and, like Anakin, she responds to what she doesn't like by complaining. Loudly.

Luke... he's different. He must sense the darkness as well?Anakin knows he's Force-sensitive?but instead of fearing it, he seems to want to face it, to calm it with his sweet personality. He's just a baby?too young to really understand what he's doing?but the way he looks at Anakin with such love?it's as if he sees the darkness and intends to outshine it with his light.

Was absolutely perfect.

Everyone always says how much Luke is like his father, and Leia is like her mother. That is true in the paths they chose in life, but in personalities, I think your description is much more the case.

7. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Such a good chapter. Obi-Wan realizing the difference between love and attachments, getting the force back,

the disturbing way Padme is speaking, hinting at something Obi-Wan doesn't want to think about. The analogy between a father's love and a wife who had been badly hurt was interesting..it explains Obi-Wan hesitancy to do what the Jedi would demand..to kill the sith, but that sith was his brother..his son, he can't bring himself to.

Loved also the tender moments between the babies and the men, it was easy to picture Obi-Wan's silly talking to Leia, that was adorable.

Now Sidious has called Anakin again..what does he want?....Just when Anakin is starting to think about things a little [face_frustrated]

Great update!!=D=

8. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Good chapter. Loved, loved, loved Anakin playing with Luke. And the twins already having their adult personalities--Luke trying to reach his father with love, Leia wanting nothing to do with him. Also loved Obi-Wan's memories of Anakin as a child.

It will be interesting to see if Padme can ever forgive Anakin. She is right in that even if he comes back to the light, nothing will ever be the same, she might forgive but not trust him completely again.

And Sidious... :mad: :mad: :mad: Leave Anakin alone. The fact that Anakin was annoyed and did not want to answer him, gave me some hope.

9. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Excellent chapter! @};-

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Your Obi-wan is extremely compassionate and wise. :D

Padme's insights are poignant and true :( Even if Anakin rediscovers the person he was before, they can't go back to what they had -- I'm not even sure they could "start from scratch" [face_thinking] :(

11. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Brilliant new example of a dysfunctional family [face_thinking] love it. I really like Obi-Wan in this[face_love] , I'm interested to see how his character will change now he can use the Force again and what he'll do. Anakin makes me so sad, he's gotten himself into quite the pickle.

12. DarthCambius

DarthCambius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2007
    I am liking this take on things! Obi Wan seems to really be making some prorgress.

Add me to your PM list for updates, please.

13. The_Nerfherder

Sep 19, 2010
    Beautiful and powerfully written. Looking forward to your next update. :D =D=

14. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Just got caught up on this--Anakin is so disturbing in this. It is sickening but addicting too. I love seeing the intricacies of the story pulled apart in this. Great job. PM's please.

15. talesofyesac

Dec 26, 2008
    Valairy_Scot: The conversation between Padme and Obi-Wan was actually one of my favorites in this story. Can?t tell you why, really?I just enjoyed it. By the way, I fully intend to read through your latest story that you?re posting here, hopefully while I?m on Christmas break. I?ve read bits and pieces and am really intrigued?I blame life for stopping me from sitting down and reading the whole thing sooner.

JediMara77: I think that?s very true?Luke may have become a Jedi, but Leia had to get that mouthiness from somewhere. :)

Obimom: The meeting with Sidious may actually make Anakin think more about the course he?s chosen. It?s just that the price of the encounter might be far too high.

anakin_girl: I was really torn about the events of the next chapter, because I thought it would be an interesting scenario to see if Padme and Anakin could ever reconcile. I?d like to think they could have, but I?m really not so sure.

The1stJediPrincess: Thank you! :)

Jade_eyes: Aww, thanks! I really enjoy Obi-Wan?s charater. I don?t think Padme and Anakin could start from scratch, unfortunately. :( There?s just too much history, too many wrongs committed, etc.

Serendipityaey: They really, really are dysfunctional, aren?t they?

DarthCambius: Thank you! And I definitely will!

The_Nerfherder: Thanks! I tried to get this one up rather quickly. Call it an early Christmas present. :)

Luna_Nightshade: I?m afraid most of the stuff I write dissects situations. I love studying motives consequences, how the two relate, what?s going on in the characters? heads, etc. Thanks for reading!

16. talesofyesac

Dec 26, 2008
    Anakin can barely remember a time when he was actually glad to see Sidioius. It seems so strange that this man was once Palpatine, the kindly old gentleman who was almost a grandfather-sort of figure. How this man could have ever been a trusted friend?someone Anakin asked for advice?he's not sure. Now he's fairly certain that Sidious would kill him if he thought it would further his plans.

Though, that was likely always the case. It?s just that Anakin is only seeing that now.

"You summoned me, Master?" Anakin says, sinking to one knee in front of Sidious. His mood is as harsh and unmovable as the durasteel room around them. There's nothing welcoming about these new chambers?it's nothing like Palpatine's office used to be. Before, where there were warm, inviting colors, there's now dark, harsh metal.

Sidious stares down at him with his reddened eyes. His face is terrible to look at?almost diseased, and certainly very deformed, as if his face has begun to melt. "Yes, my apprentice. I thought it necessary to inform you that a... setback has occurred."

All right. He has Anakin's attention.

"I think that perhaps you might have insight into exactly how this misstep came into being."

"I am sorry, Master, but I'm unsure of what you mean."

"Undoubtedly you are, Lord Vader. Allow me to enlighten you." Each movement a deliberate one, Sidious rises from his chair, indicating that Vader should stand as well. Once they are on an equal level, he catches Anakin's gaze and holds it with an intensity that Anakin has very seldom seen matched. There's a warning in those sulfur-colored eyes: whatever Sidious is about to reveal, he's very displeased by it. "Somehow, the remaining Jedi were able to discern where we were holding our prisoners, mainly ones from the Jedi Order."

Anakin feels his stomach plummet to what feels like somewhere near his boots. He knows what's coming, but he dares not interrupt. It would only make things worse? and if this is what Anakin thinks it is, things are horrendous already.

"It seems that the Jedi had information from the inside. Can you think of anyone who might have seen the prison levels?who was shown where they were?"

"My Lord, I apologize for my failure. It won't happen again." He'll find out who Obi-Wan is in contact with, and he'll kill that person. Slowly and painfully. Then he'll make sure that Obi-Wan doesn't interact with anyone else, and he certainly won't be taking him on any more excursions out of the apartment.

"You're correct," Sidious replies sharply. "It won't. Master Kenobi will be removed, just as I said he should have been from the beginning. I was remiss to allow this little... indulgence at all."

No. Anakin won't accept that. "You can't kill him. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."

Sidious's mouth curls into something between a snarl and a smirk. "You misunderstand me, Lord Vader: I have already arranged for him to be terminated. Tonight. Now."

No. No.

Some strange mixture of rage and terror erupts inside of Anakin, melding together until he can't begin to separate the two emotions. All he knows is that Sidious is going to kill Obi-Wan, that he's going to kill the man who's been like his father and brother, and that, right now, Anakin is incapable of stopping it. There's nothing he can do. He'll never get there in time.

"Call it off!" he demands, abandoning all pretense of an obedient apprentice as he lunges to his feet, stopping barely an arm's length away from Sidious. "If you kill him, I will never do anything that you say."

Sidious smiles, wide and open. There's delight dancing in his deformed eyes and face, so twisted, but pleased with the destruction he's causing. "I think you will, Lord Vader. I know you will. There are still others that you care for, after all." He pauses, slowly wetting his lips with his tongue in a grotesque parody of thoughtfulness. "Your children, for example. It would be so... easy to snap their tiny necks. Imagine how they would look, as the life flows out of them..." His eyes flut

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! :( :eek: A pivotal, excellent update =D=

18. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Wow oh wow oh wow oh wow! =D= What a great chapter.

Padme' is dead and Obi-Wan is on the run with her babies. [face_worried]

Will he get far? Will Anakin finally wake up and work with Obi-Wan to stop Sidious?

Great job![:D]

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    You...you...

I have no words. :( :( :(

(Okay, I do.)

The scene with Anakin and Sidious - brilliant.

Everything else... :( :( :(

Anakin is going to be PISSED.

20. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    [Tin Man] "Now I know I have a heart, because it's breaking...[/Tin Man]

:_| :_| :_|

I can see this going two ways: one, Anakin will play right into Sidious' hands by getting pissed at Obi-Wan for not protecting Padme. Or two, Anakin will use his brain and realize that, hey, Sidious sent those clones, because he said he was going to do it; therefore, Sidious killed Padme, and Obi-Wan has taken the babies to hide them from Sidious, for which Anakin should be grateful.

Hoping for the latter outcome. [face_praying] [face_praying] Or a third option that I'm missing.

Very, very well done.

21. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Oh no!

I'm thankful that Obi-Wan and the twins are safe, but I wish it wasn't at the cost of Padme's life. This will have to destroy Anakin and there is no way that he will still follow Palpatine after this... right? Right?

Great and intense update.

22. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Awesome and heartbreaking. Wonderfully written, what will Anakin do when he comes in?? :_|

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wow - just wow! Hey, future favor please - edit your first post so you put in the date of updating in the subject line. I don't want to "stumble" across an update - I want in on the ground floor, so to speak.

Poor Padme. But I'm sure she trusts Obi-Wan to save her children.

The question is who confronts Obi-Wan over Padme - Anakin or Vader?

24. The_Nerfherder

Sep 19, 2010
    Lovely update, talesofyesac! =D=

25. DarthCambius

DarthCambius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2007
    wow...just...wow

Anakin will not be pleased.

Keep it coming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.