main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Fire and Ice- UDC 5, Fel family, Week 20- Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by FelsGoddess, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Author: FelsGoddess
    Title: Fire and Ice
    Timeframe: Beyond the Saga
    Characters: Fel family and a handful of others
    Summary: Little bits from various points in the Fel family's life.
    Notes: Written for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge 5. Winner of Best Canon, Best Drama, Best Action and Best Canon Interpretation, Male in the 2010 Beyond Fan Fic Awards.

Week One

1. Doctor

The look on the doctor?s face said it all. His son was dead. His third child had died. Chak had been shot. He was losing blood too fast. Soontir knew it. He knew he would die before the doctor could look at him.

The doctor, Soontir couldn?t recall his name, clapped a hand on his shoulder. The doctor uttered the words Soontir had to hear.

Chak was dead.

He?d lost too much blood.

There was nothing anyone could do to save him.

He died heroically, they said.

Soontir couldn?t hear it. He was dead, gone.

He was never coming home.

2. Companion

She was always there during times of sorrow. These times were far too frequent in the Fel household. She sat on the bench by the tree in the corner garden. Two stones already marked the spot; a third would join soon. Soontir sat next to his wife, his companion, and wrapped an arm around her. Her eyes were dry; cried out. They were both holding up each other. Without the other, they would fall.

Syal slipped off the bench to sit on the ground. Soontir followed, not wanting to be out of her reach. He needed her, and she him.

3. Time

It had been far too long since the last time the Fel family was together. Davin and Cherith?s deaths were so close together, and Jagged had gone off to fight a war.

He had returned from his current fight for the funeral. The broken family sat around a once necessary large dining room table. Now it seemed too large, too empty. Once, the table had been crowded. Meals were loud, boisterous at times. Davin and Chak was talk about their feats at the Academy with Jagged hanging on to every word. Cherith would tell Wynssa, and Cem stories.

Too long.

4. Space

Space was cold and unforgiving, yet gave comfort and freedom. Soontir rarely flew any more. He had taken his old TIE fighter after the funeral into space. He needed to see the stars; feel again. He?d left Syal with her remaining children. She found no solace in space.

Soontir flipped the TIE through a serious of maneuvers, pleased he was still perfect. He looked out his cockpit at the vastness of the universe. Somewhere out there the remains of his Davin, his Cherith floated. He wanted to see them again one day. He hoped to tell them he was sorry.

5. Dimensions

Soontir didn?t believe in alternate realities or universes. He was content thinking that his life mattered here and now. An alternate reality suggested his life was a game and he was some pawn. He preferred controlling his destiny.

Only at moments like this did he wish it were different. In his alternate dimension, all six of his children were alive and well. They had families, careers. They were happy. Davin, Cherith and Chak all enjoyed the life taken from them. Jagged had the woman he loved with no complications. Wynssa sought out the wonders she dreamed of. Cem was free.

Tarsier likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent use of the prompts =D= =D= Companion and Dimensions were my favorites. I can just imagine how fun and lively it was with all the kids together and how each loss has left an aching void.

:(

Nice title too. :D

If you're keeping up a PM list, I'd love on it!!!

3. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    "Companion" is definitely my favorite. If you're planning on continuing, I'd love a PM!

Cheers,
    DLPP

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I'm not familiar with the Fel family, but this was very touching. My favorite was Space, followed closely by Companion and Time. The way you describe the table as too big is quite powerful. Nice job!

5. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    I'm not normally a drabble reader, but I really enjoyed these! I'd love to be pm'd if you choose to continue. Dimensions was my favorite, followed closely by Space and Companion.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I just had to click - I love the Fel family :D

These were so sad!! I feel so bad for Soontir and the family :( Dimentions in particular was sad - especially the last line.

If you've got a PM list, please add me!!

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Doctor so sad and Dimensions:( Great use of the prompts=D=

8. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Your writing style is really well suited to drabbles. Plus, now I know exactly where to go for my Fel family and/or J/J fix!

Off topic but I am pretty chuffed that this board sees so little traffic, but in the 24 minutes between 3:18 and 3:42 this afternoon no fewer than EIGHT PEOPLE posted on eight different threads. [face_laugh]

9. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    aww ... it's hard to lose another child to the war
    was interesting to see how you wrote Soontir cooping with it

~ Mags ~

10. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Jade_eyes Thanks. :D Yeah, I can send out PMs. Hehe, thanks. I think this is one of the few titles I've come up with that I actually like.

darkladypurplepencil I plan on doing the entire UDC. Sure, I'll send you one. Thanks!

Tarsier I'm glad the table bit worked. I wanted to show a literal example of how the family shrank. Thanks!

EmpressJainaSoloFel I'm not normally a drabble writer. :p Sure, I'll send on. Thanks!

NYCitygurl I vote for more Fel family in profic. :D Will do. Thanks!

earlybird-obi-wan Thanks!

Lady_Tahiri I've noticed I tend to focus more on my writing when I do shorter pieces. I know what you mean. It's been slow for a couple days. I get on after being gone for a day and suddenly everything's moving around. [face_laugh] Thanks!

Maggy Thanks very much!

Week 2

6. Island

Six children sat in the sand. The three older boys were burying their father, turning his body into an accurate sculpture of woman. The two younger girls and youngest boy waded into the shallows with their mother.

Tomorrow would bring change. Davin was leaving for the Academy. Soontir was required to meet with his superiors at an undisclosed location.

The boys ran off as their father discovered what they had done. He chases them down to give a scolding.

Had he known it would be the last day the family would be together, he wouldn?t have said a single word.

7. Survival

The forests of Tenupe were cruel. He would survive. He would find a way off this wretched planet. He would find his way back home. He feels guilty for the grief he knows his family, especially his mother, feels. He is afraid her heart won?t take another blow. The guilt he feels merges with the feelings of anger, loss and betrayal that slice through him, creating a hurricane of anxiety. The hurricane threatens to drown him, but he uses it to fuel his resolve. His anger makes it possible to survive.

Anger at the Killiks, the Jedi.

Anger at her.

8. Lost

The black night sky looked the same from all planets. Syal touched the window to Yavin. She?d heard of her brother?s fight against the Death Star. She?d heard pieces of news from various sources about fighter pilot Wedge Antilles. She kept a flyer with his picture and bounty folded inside her mother?s locket. It was the closet she could keep her brother. She missed him. She missed her parents. She even missed Booster. She had friends, but she wanted, needed family. She was alone. She had to keep him a secret. She couldn?t let them use her to find him.

9. Other

Soontir waited at the handsome man at Wynssa Starflare?s side to disappear in the crowd. He?d left her alone by a window. Soontir walked up to her and introduced himself, hoping his voice sounded more confident that he felt. She was more than he thought possible. She was smart, cultured, beautiful, interesting, friendly, warm?he could go on for days. He convinced her to leave the reception. She agreed, only after warning him that the tabloids may get wind of it and call him the other man.

So be it, Soontir thought. This time, he wanted to be the other man.

10. Flashback

The speeder drove up the house in an eerie fashion. Soontir stepped out slowly; his normal straight posture slumped over. Jagged followed, looking broken.

Syal knew. Another one of her children gone.

She could see that pose when Soontir came home to tell her that her Davin was dead. Syal knew that death had come to take another. She did not know which, Cherith or Chak.

The door opened. As before, Soontir entered the kitchen. He opened his mouth, closed it and opened again.

?Which?? Syal croaked, praying this would be the last time this scene would take place.

?Cherith.?

---

11. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    6. Island
    that's really joyful and tells of good times as family

7. Survival
    Jag had to end there, hadn't he? and it is totally understandable that he is angry with her (Jaina)

8. Lost
    aww touching, poor Syal but she kind of has choosen this path for herself

9. Other
    he forgot "sister of my greatest enemy" LOL

10. Flashback
    that's really sad :((

~ Mags ~

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! Wow!

=D=
    =D=

The gambit is run from sweet and fluffy to achingly heart-tugging by the end. :(

Love Syal and Soontir in their early days. :D

The flashback one :_|

Huggles for the great update and PM.

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, those were so sad!! Especially the first and the last. And poor Syal - she will have to hear it again :(

So be it, Soontir thought. This time, he wanted to be the other man.

I love this line, though :D IO'd love to see more some fanfic about Syal and Soontir getting together :D

14. Zadann_MaRanna

Zadann_MaRanna Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2009
    I really liked Survival and Flashback [face_peace]

15. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    I loved Island, I can see that scene, and I had to chuckle at what they were doing to Soontir.

Flashback was touching, I really felt for Syal. Thanks for the PM!

16. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    I loved "Lost." Poor Syal, having to hide her identity like that and then losing almost all of her children.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Moving all of them from the sweet moment in island to the heartbreaking flasback

18. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I love the Fel family... they're so different to the usual SW fare. I really like your portrayal of them. You're doing a wonderful job at bringing them to life and showing their emotions (which we hardly ever get to see in canon, after all).

19. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004

20. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
    Week 3

11. Far

Syal stepped off the landing ramp of the transport. She could see snow swirling through the thick windows of the landing bay. Soontir and their family had moved to Csilla, home of the Chiss. Syal felt she was farther from home than she?d ever been.

?Mama??

Syal looked down at her youngest daughter, Wynssa. Her teeth were chattering.

?Yes, sweetie??

?Why?s it so cold??

?Csilla is an ice planet, Wyn. Its cold all the time,? Chak responded as he walked down the ramp. He scooped her up and set her on his shoulders.

?Far from Nirauan,? she said.

Syal nodded.

12. Prisoners

?This isn?t funny, Davin!? Jagged hissed.

Davin disagreed. He thought it was hilarious. He and Chak had taken Jag and Cherith prisoner. They were tied to one of their mother?s dining room chairs.

?Quiet, Rebel scum!?

?Davin, why do we always have to be the Rebels?? Cherith whined.

?Because,? Chak responded, ?we?re older and smarter, like the Imps.?

Jag snorted, ?No you?re not.?

?Hush!? Chak snapped, ?Tell us where the plans are for the Rebel Base!?

?No,? Jag stated.

?Fine. You stay here and starve!? Davin yelled.

?We aren?t telling you anything,? Cherith insisted.

The front door opened.

?Mom?s home!?

13. Peacekeepers

Soontir Fel and Wedge Antilles stood a foot apart, sizing each other up. Syal watched the meeting with apprehension as she stood behind Soontir. Jagged stood behind Wedge.

This was the first meeting of the two men in over twenty years. Syal and Wedge had had their private reunion a few minutes before.

?Fel.?

?Antilles.?

?I trust you?ve kept my sister safe.?

?I promised I would.?

Syal and Jag exchanged looks. So far so good.

?Congratulations on your victory over the Yuuzhang Vong.?

?Thank you.?

Syal let out a sigh of relief as the two men began discussing battle tactics.

14. Uncharted

Soontir was in uncharted territory. No, it wasn?t space. It wasn?t configuring hyperspace routes. It wasn?t even training the 501st.

It was fatherhood.

Davin was two days old. Syal had taken to motherhood immediately, able and confident. Soontir was terrified. He?d never had experience with children.

Davin was crying. Soontir was determined to handle it himself. Syal needed the sleep. He changed and fed Davin just as Syal had shown him, but Davin kept crying.

Soontir walked around the living room, gently rocking the baby in his arms. He began humming an old Correlian lullaby and the baby fell asleep.

15. Scape

The charred, ashen landscape of Borelais stared back at Jag. It was a crime that they had to destroy so much of the landscape. He was shipping out to the Hydian Way in an hour. Jaina had been sent away. They had had no time for a goodbye. Jag had no idea how long they would be separated. Would they even see each other again? The uncertainty made him nervous and fearful.

It was moments like this, when he was allowed to stare at destruction for too long, that he felt truly alone. He felt every death he had caused.

21. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    I love "Prisoners"!!! Holy cow, does that bring back memories of doing the same thing to my sister.

"Uncharted" brought back memories too. Were you writing about Soontir or my husband?

You've really captured the family dynamic beautifully, great work!

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved Uncharted and Scape the most. :D Peacekeeprs -- interesting they bond over battle tactics [face_laugh] ;)

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice set, all of them with childhood memories and sad ones too.

24. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004

25. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    These are fabulous!!! I especially liked Soontor with baby Davin... so sweet... :)

~Celeste

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.