main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yep. That's what I'm thinking. I still think there's enough interest/money/TV rights to do two fll-on National Leagues before you get to East West and North East / North West / South East / South West type leagues.

hell, at this point, I'd settle for Japanese style relegation.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    You need to have promotion and relegation otherwise there is nothing long term for the lower teams to play for.

My team in National League and we want to get into the league proper at some point in the future. We know we could never be a Premier league team by my god we want to get to the highest league position we can. Saying we can't get out of the league we are in would make a mockery of the club trying to improve itself as what would be the long term aim of the club

Diggy and DarthIntegral like this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So, your team decides to make a giant banner. Do you have one celebrating your players/managers team, ala

[​IMG]

Or one featuring Rooney's mug, an opponents player?

[​IMG]

DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    personally, I think that Giant Banners / Tifos should be used to praise your team / lift them up, and not mock/dig at the opponent. If you're going to put in that much effort, do it for a positive reason.

use a smaller sign to mock the other team:

[​IMG]

heels1785 and tom like this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sounders vanquished the hated timbers yesterday, extending their club record win streak to 7 games. their starting 11 is really clicking now, it's been fun to watch.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    clint dempsey has retired from professional soccer. i significantly prefer him to donovan when talking about the most talented/influential american in the sport's history.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I was at Deuce Face game, literally Dempsey's shining moment in gif form for the National Team.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i mean it was definitely time, but i'm a little surprised he didn't hang on until he could get one more goal. instead he retires tied for the most league play goals in sounders history with fredy montero.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In terms of men's outfield players, my current top five for US players are

1) Dempsey
    2) Donovan
    3) Dolo
    4) McBride
    5) Boca

Soon to be #1 - Pulisic
    Soon to be #2/3 - Weah, McKennie

Hell, Pulisic is probably already top-five, I'm just over reacting to my desire to avoid recency bias.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rushing it together, mine would probably be:

1) Dempsey
    2) McBride
    3) Howard/Friedel
    4) Donovan
    5) Reyna

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Brad Friedel is from Cleveland, and therefore Friedel > Howard. Best American Keeper ever, IMO.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Between Howard, Friedel, and even Keller, the keepers have been pretty solid since the late 90s.

Hopefully Hamid, or whoever they go with - as long as its not Guzan - will continue the tradition.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Zack Steffen is the real deal and the next great American keeper.

[​IMG]

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I remember the days when Steffen played for the Riverhounds. 2016 was a bad, bad season.

And because nobody else has posted the Deuce Face, I will. Definitely one of my favorite USMNTers of all time.
    [​IMG]

DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Inter Miami CF is the official name of David Beckham MLS

I mean, on one hand, it's not Miami FC.

On the other hand, it's like a ten year old was designing a dream team on FIFA and needed to name it.

Diggy likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's a really stupid name.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the best names in MLS are, in no particular order

Seattle Sounders
    Chicago Fire
    Portland Timbers
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Columbus Crew
    New England Revolution

And the worst names are

Real Salt Lake
    Real Salt Lake
    Real Salt Lake
    Real Salt Lake

<anything other than D C> United

<Anything> FC

heels1785 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good -
    San Jose Earthquakes (i don't know what stoner came up with this name, but nothing says "American soccer" like the ****ing Earthquakes)
    Colorado Rapids
    Philadelphia Union
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Chicago Fire

Bad-
    everything Inty said

Worst:
    Orlando City SC

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Good call - I did forget about Earthquakes and Rapids in my list. And, posthumously, Chivas USA deserves to be mocked for somehow being more terrible than Real Salt Lake.

Las Vegas Lights, BTW, is not only a great name, but a great community-embracing soccer club all around.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd be more accepting of NYCFC and LAFC if there weren't already NY and LA clubs in existence - the name would make sense if they were LA's football club, or NYC's football club. But they're not - both existing clubs are some of the oldest in the league.

The Galaxy are a pretty cool name too, forgot them.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I would have been okay when they were re-branding Columbus if they went with a Germanic style name to pay homage the German roots in Columbus. Something like 1.Columbus 96, and keeping the Crew moniker as an official/unofficial nickname. Hell, I'd still be happy if they did that when PSV get their hands off my club.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Atlanta United is my team, but I kind of wish they hadn't gone with the United part. Together with the others in MLS (DC and Minnesota) it feels like too many. But I like the names that follow the more European convention of making the city name the primary part of the name... like FC Barcelona, etc. I like the simplicity of that, and the two that just sound the best to me are LAFC and FC Dallas. For soccer, I don't like the names that have a "multiples" mascot-style name like other American sports teams often do, so I don't like names like Sounders, Red Bulls, Timbers, Earthquakes, or Rapids. I don't like the sound of Galaxy at all, either. But the worst, just because it makes so little sense and looks so much like uninformed copying, is Real Salt Lake.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Look to Bolivia for inspiration, I say

[​IMG]