main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That was not a penalty

heels1785 likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    few good chances here. team needs a lot of work though.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well this just changed a lot.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    gak why is Toronto FC so bad this year? They were champs, dammit

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Didn't get to watch, but I absolutely loved the Miazga highlight. The USA-Mexico rivalry needs villains, and now Miaza can absolutely be the villain that fans of El Tri can loathe. Not just the goading, but the gloating and the mocking. Reminded me a bit of Rafa Marquez, to be honest, and I still hate that guy.
    A couple of things
    1) They prioritized CONCACAF Champions League this year. which lead to two things:
    1a) Fixture Congestion. With more matches to play, they had to have more games in short periods of time.
    1b) Deflatement. Let's be honest. They should have won the title. They were the more talented side for the finals. And they lost. And then they had to turn around and try to play for a lesser title with less urgency and more games congested together.
    1c) Voyager Cup. They had to prioritize this because it's the club's only path to Champions League. Which just adds to 1a and 1b.
    2) Michael Bradley plateaued years ago and is no long a top-ten midfielder in MLS. He's the second-highest paid player in the league, but here are midfielders I would take ahead of him without batting an eye:
    Diego Valeri
    Nicolas Lodiero
    Federico Higuain
    Maxi Moralez
    Ezequiel Barco
    Osvaldo Alsonso
    Mauro Diaz
    Diego Chara
    Wil Trapp
    Alphonso Davies

And that list is just those who I wouldn't question taking over Bradley. In MLS, you can't miss on your DP spots. Atlanta is thriving because they have a fantastic manager, and they absolutely nailed their DPs. Seba is still fantastic and a game changer, literally able to win a playoff game on his own. But Bradley? That precious DP slot could be better used.

3) There were chinks in the armor showing late last year. After a torrid start, teams figured it out, and Columbus played Toronto masterfully in the playoffs. They were a single goal from advancing. Red Bulls nearly knocked them out, too.

BigAl6ft6, tom and EHT like this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I seriously can't get enough of this

[​IMG]

darth_gersh and tom like this.
  7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    USMNT squad reactions

Christian Pulisic

[​IMG]
    Tim Weah

[​IMG]

Zak Steffen / Wil Trapp

[​IMG]

Brad Guzan

[​IMG]

Michael Bradley

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Michael Bradley on the loss to T&T / missing out on the World Cup

"It doesn't really linger at all"

He's either completely tone deaf, a complete moron, or unable to understand that missing out on the world cup is the kind of thing that should linger and motivate you.

And again, I say, why is he back on the national team? And why haven't they hired a manager in the 366 days that have passed since the dreadful night in Trinidad?

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Available and with a 100% winning record at international level...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I realize this isn't breaking news, but Colombia is significantly better at men's football than we are.

Also, Greg Berhalter will apparently be named the USMNT manager in November. Which is a good choice. I like him and his system. But it's not a hire that should have taken a year

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, I'm beginning to suspect there are some deep structural problems afoot. :p

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I noticed Inty ignored my post aswell

heels1785 and Ramza like this.
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    @Diggy I can't like or respond to that post, or US Soccer might take it as endorsement of the idea. can't risk it.

Also ...

Cautiously optimistic ...

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    pro: team stays in columbus

con: your owner is jimmy haslam

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm incredibly emotional about it. I'll get full thoughts up later, but to that point, heels, the owners who wouldn't be an upgrade over Precourt are

Art Model
    Clay Bennet
    Jeff Loria

heels1785 likes this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I’m happy for you, Inty. Happy for the league, too.

Even though Haslam is a horse’s ass, having another NFL/MLS owner is good for credibility and stability, I’d imagine. Unless he ends up in prison.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I know this is a thread for pessimism, but last night the USA played Peru to a 1-1 draw, and despite their two best outfield and best goalkeeper not playing due to injury, they had arguably the best player on the pitch last night. Josh Sargent - holy hell, that kid can play. I've been following him as a youth player - he had a damn good U-20 World Cup last year, scoring four times (1 shy of the golden boot) and he looked to have grown further last night.

Weah, Sargent, Pulisic, and McKennie give the attack a nice base to build from, and are all incredibly young (and outside of Sargent, getting at least some playing time for some fairly large clubs). Steffen is a great anchor in goal for the defense.

Starting to get excited to see what this team will do in the Gold Cup next year under Berhalter.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this sounders/timbers second leg is completely insane.

EHT likes this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Our (Atlanta United) Eastern Conference Semifinals second leg against NYCFC is at home this Sunday. We won in NYC last weekend, in Yankee Stadium (only the second time NYCFC has lost there all year long, apparently).

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In current format, no team has lost the opening leg at home in the conference seems and won the series. Current format meaning w/away goals tiebreaker. So, I'd say Atlanta is a solid 90% likely to advance.

AutumnLight91 and EHT like this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well that was easy. Next we play the winner of NY Red Bulls and Columbus.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well

That was not fun

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In case you missed it, the U-20 USMNT win the CONCACAF championship last night, beating Mexico in the final with a Dos a Cero scoreline. Tab Ramos, dow the federation wouldn't even consider for the full USMNT job doing a great job getting results and developing players.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    3-0 win over NY Red Bulls here at home. Next is the second leg in NY this Thursday.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm rooting for you

EHT likes this.