main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First bit of officialness about C4 in 2007, sorta, maybe, kinda - miniscule update#4 (2/11)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Sebulba-X, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd love for C4 to be in LA as that would mean I could drive down as well as either try to find people to in with for a Hotel Room or stay with my aunt and uncle. That and I'll be out of High School by then and my College classes will end before the date.

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    That's actually a good question. Also what are hotel prices like near the convention center? Would they be comparable to Indy or drastically higher?

3. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Well I go to USC, which is just down the road from the convention center, and I work for the Orientation office so I have to answer stuff like this all the time for new students and their parents. :p LAX is probably about 15 miles from the Convention Center. Some form of transportation will definitely be a must, but that doesn't mean you'd NEED a rental car. If you want to go see other things while you are in Los Angeles, then you should definitely rent a car (a car is a must for getting around the greater Los Angeles area), but if you are staying in the city you could definitely walk to the convention center or take a bus in the morning. The only thing you'd need to figure out is how to get downtown from the airport. There's always the option of taking a taxi (that would cost about $35) or a shuttle (several companies offered shared ride vans, you can book a spot for about $20 each way). Buses stop at the convention center, too. I don't think it would be any more difficult to get to the convention center from LAX than it was to get to the Indy hotels from the Indy airport.

I don't know the answer about hotel pricing off the top of my head, but it'd be fairly easy to research.

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi, NP! Just FYI, if you want to research prices, go to the E3 website (the big gaming show) and click on the attendee housing button. That'll give you an idea about convention rates. The cheapest hotel on the list is $99 a night -- that's the 3 star I talking about, below.

Lord, I just read about this new rumor. I live 20 miles from the convention center, and as much as I would like to get into my car and drive to C4, I just gotta hope that TPTB haven't chosen L.A. for this. There's no place to stay close to the convention center! The closest hotel is like 3 blocks away, and it's only got a star rating of 3! In the hotel world, that's not very much. But yeah, as one of the posters mentioned, they are probably practically giving the convention center away, so if they're only going by cost... well, see ya in L.A.!

The other thing, though -- the dates mentioned are over Memorial Day weekend. No convention planner (of which I are one LOL) in their right mind books a convention over a holiday weekend. It's just not done. Oops, I just remembered -- I'm talking about the same people who thought the setup for the CIII store was a good idea... hmmmm. Like I said, see ya in L.A.! :)

5. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    If it's going to be In L.A., there's one less person that's going to be there.

6. jakejar

jakejar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Well, if it's in LA, there're going to be a LOT of people not going, including our family.

jakejar's mom

7. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Noooooo!

Excuse me.

Well, if it's in L.A. my family and friends won't be able to go. It'll simply be too expensive.

Of course, no matter where they put it it would be geographically difficult for some fans to attend.

I hope they meant to say Indy and accidentally said L.A.
    It's possible, right?

Man, this stinks.

8. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    wherever and whenever c4 happens i'll be there, but if it's in LA, and I haven't relocated there then I will definitely be spending a lot more money trying to make it there.

I so wanted to road trip too...I guess if it's in LA that's out of the question I'll have to fly.

9. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I'd be looking at nearly $600 just in plane tickets. Then add hotel (which IS going to be higher than Indy), admission badges, food, and goodies...well, L.A. will probably keep me from going too. :(

I really don't understand the reasoning behind it, other than making it easier on Lucasfilm and some of the guests. Since it's not related to a new movie release, the attendance numbers would be lower anyways, but add in the distance, and the numbers are going to be even lower.

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yeah I know if its in LA I won't be going due to the expenses and the fact that I hate LA. Been there twice, didn't like it either time and have 0 desire to go back.

11. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Well, I'm going to wait until an official announcement from LFL to speculate. I'd rather not go to LA.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll be there, but it sounds like I'll be pretty lonely :(

13. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Jedi_Dajuan,

I'll be there. By hook or by crook. [Or is that a bad thing?]

I mean, I am following the same frame of mind as with C3: If my boss does NOT give me the time off for SW Celebration, I will quit my job just to be able to go. I kid you not! [I don't mean that lightly since I actually like my current job!]

I'm hoping that the number of fans that can't make it because it's on the West Coast will be replaced by all the Star Wars fans in attendance that would have made it to Celebrations I, II & III but didn't because those events were out of their reach.

May the Force be with you.

Jay Tee
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

14. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Amen. I have never been so ready to leave a place as I was LA when I went. That was nearly the longest week of my life. [face_sick]

15. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Aw crap. [face_frustrated] You would think I'd be happy about this since we're moving to the west coast early next year but this SUCKS!! [face_not_talking]

16. jakejar

jakejar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    But, is there any way for the anti-LA contingent to make their voices heard? Does Mary Franklin read these boards or is there an email address for her?

jakejar

17. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    If this is true, it is terrible. There is no way I could justify the money on plane tickets or the hotel. Oh, I hope this is wrong... :(

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't think Mary reads the boards, nor does she have much to do with where the location is. I'm sure there is a team of people working on the logistics of when and were C4 will be. Remember this is just a rumor. Just because it made the main page doesn't mean it's true.

19. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I had to fly to CIII, it cost a pretty penny. I hated Indianpolis, but I still enjoyed CIII, because, the whole point of the trip was not which city I was in, but the convention itself.

I don't like LA much, I will have to fly there as well, and it will cost even more than going to Indy- but who gives a flip, CIV is the point of the trip, not the city of LA, and that's what I am going for.

20. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    AMEN!!!

I haven't been to a Celebration at all, so no matter where it is; I'll be going and no matter how much it costs, I'll be going. :)

It's all about showing your love for Star Wars!!!

21. lourod72

lourod72 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2006
    Here's what you guys need to do to find out for sure. Call the LA Convention Center and talk to the events planning dept. I'm sure some of you will hate what they say. Some will love it. Me.....I've never been to LA but I'll go for CIV.:cool:

22. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    http://www.cityrating.com/cityweather.asp?city=Los+Angeles
    May Average temperature: 62.7F
    May Average rain: 0.1 inches

http://www.lacvb.com/index.jsp
    http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/jsp/transportation.jsp

Cool, they have expanded the "FlyAway" bus service to include service between LAX and Downtown
    (I use FlyAway to get from LAX to Van Nuys) http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/jsp/visitla.jsp

http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/jsp/maps.jsp
    Convention Center: http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/pdf/laccmap.pdf
    Downtown LA: (Hotels, etc) http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/pdf/dthotel.pdf
    http://www.lacvb.com/visitor/jsp/accommodations.jsp

Oh, the hotels will be a hike or shuttle bus away !

http://www.lacclink.com/ The Los Angeles Convention Center:
    720,000 square feet of exhibit hall space
    64 meeting rooms totaling 147,000 square feet and a 299 seat presentation theater
    sun-filled spacious lobbies with artworks by nationally recognized artists
    3 food courts
    full-service Business Center
    on-site parking for 5,600 vehicles including electrical charge stations
    ample shuttle bus pick-up and drop-off areas

STAPLES Center is located adjacent to the LACC
    The downtown hotel community, Financial District and the Civic Center
    Strategically positioned at the hub of major freeways, LA DASH Transit System, Metrolink trains, and Metro Rail & Bus systems.
    http://www.lacclink.com/general_directions.htm

Edit: INDY - The Indiana Convention Center: Located in the heart of Indianapolis houses more than 400,000 square feet of exhibit space and nearly 140,000 square feet of meeting space. So LA has 320,000 more sq ft of space then INDY.

23. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    wow can not believe so many people would not go cause it is not on the east coast. we on the west coast havegone east the last two times and no copmplants. Sorry to hear you wont be there. I will have a good time for you!!!!

on travelocity.com
    round trip would be only like $333 thats with all taxes from NYC to LA
    so people say can not afford that then they should not go.

Cause you will spend at least that in hotels any ways.
    and that is a small price to pay for a 3 day star wars weekend hell would cost you alot more to drive it.

699 includes a 5 day stay in a hotel.

and i bet if you look a little harder might even find it a bit cheaper than that.

motel 6 is like $44 a night.
    do not have to stay in a luxury room.

by cutting corners where you can makes the trip just as fun and less cost.

even sharing rooms helps.

24. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    [Vader voice]Noooooooooooooooooo! [/Vader voice] Don't rent a car in LA, the traffic is terrible there. Use the Subway and busses, you will get places much faster.

25. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Well for May of 2006 you could stay 6 blocks from the convention center for $59 per night @ Mayfair Hotel Los Angeles (2 1/2 star hotel). And most hotels in the Downtown area are $70 to $169 per night for a standard room. (prices from random search of travel sites) But I'm sure these prices will shoot up for the time around the con. :(

Edit: Hotels.com has:
    The Sheraton Downtown Los Angeles (Calif.) 3 1/2 stars four blocks from Staples Center and the Los Angeles Convention Center for $129 per night.
    Wilshire Grand Hotel 3 1/2 stars located four blocks from the Staples Center and L.A. Convention Center for $129 per night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.