main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga First Knight - June 6th -Where He Belongs - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    TITLE: First Knight - Part One

AUTHOR: Arwyn Whitesun

CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker

GENRE: Drama, Romance, Adventure

SUMMARY: When Obi-Wan is asked to bless the marriage he arranged of a younger woman to a much older man, he finds himself on a path he had never dreamed he would follow. The events in this fic take place four years before the Attack of the Clones.

Listed at [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/17037796/]The Obi-Wan Fan Fic index[/link]

-------------

Obi-Wan Kenobi looked over as Dynast K'lia raised his palsied hands to silence the chatter of the wedding guests. Once the hall had quieted, the Dynast rose slowly from his chair.

"Thank you all for coming to the wedding of my daughter Onara to our newest ally, Dynast Edress of Kindah Province."

He turned and gestured to where the bride and her much older groom sat. The guests slapped their tables, the applause ringing through the huge dining hall of the manor. Obi-Wan noted, however, that although Dynast Edress' lips were stretched in a thin smile, it did not reach his ebony eyes, which were as sharp as a predatory bird as they darted about the room.

Obi-Wan looked at Onara. She was still draped in the voluminous gold, emerald and scarlet robes that served as a wedding gown on Ahjane. He had yet to see her face as it was veiled and had been since the wedding ceremony. She had arrived only a few days ago to participate in the marriage Obi-Wan had arranged for her as part of the peace treaty between her province and that of Dynast Edress. She'd been sequestered until the wedding where she had appeared as she was now. Heavily veiled and as mysterious as the far side of the moon. When Obi-Wan had asked K'lia where she'd been, he told him she'd been away at some kind of school.

He wondered how she felt about her politically arranged marriage. He had not wanted to include a marriage as part of the treaty but the Lady Tsara, K'lia's mother and Onara's grandmother, had insisted upon it.

Lady Tsara sat on the other side of Onara. The tiny, wizened woman had been a maddening presence at all of the negotiations between Obi-Wan and the emissaries from Kindah Province. She had argued heatedly with him over every concession he had asked Dynast K'lia to make regarding the treaty and had, on occasion, driven him almost to the point of losing his temper. He could honestly say he would not be sorry to never again have to look into her beady black eyes or listen to her shrill, supercilious voice.

He then looked over at Anakin. From what he had heard Onara wasn't much older than his sixteen year-old apprentice, who sat next to him blissfully stuffing his mouth with the rich pastries the Ahjanese seemed to favor.

"We are honored," Dynast K'lia went on in his aged, quavering voice, "in having as our guests Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice, Anakin Skywalker. As all of you know, the Jedi have been most instrumental in bringing about this peace. If not for their tireless and steadfast efforts, we would not be sitting here today celebrating the union of our two provinces through the marriage of my only child to Dynast Edress."

Again the hall rang with the sound of hands briskly slapping the tables. Obi-Wan inclined his head. It had been a long and exhausting mission, but with this marriage there was now hope the war between the two major provinces was finally over. He allowed himself a brief moment of self-satisfaction, an indulgence he tried not to partake of too often. Dynast K'lia raised his hands again to silence the room.

"I would ask one last favor of our esteemed guests. As all of you know, tradition demands that the union of a groom and his virgin bride be blessed. Such an honor would usually fall upon a Dynast or other high-ranking male, but I would like to ask Master Kenobi to honor my family by blessing the marriage of my daughter."

Obi-Wan had not expected this but he could sense by the hush in the hall that what was being asked of him was of great significance

2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Yay, I snagged the first reply. =D=

Terrific start Arwyn. So far I'm liking your Special Edition much better than I like Lucas'.

"It shouldn't. How long can it take just to say a few words?"

That line just cracked me up because I knew what was coming. See, here I am cracking up. [face_laugh]

The Jedi narrowed his eyes. "This is some kind of joke, right?"

I love Obi's disbelief at what is being requested of him. I kept thinking that most men would jump at the chance he's been given.

Great work. I can't wait for more. I didn't leave feedback when you wrote these fics originally so I'm determined to do it now.

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    OH my goodness!!!!!! ROTFL!!!! That is juz wayyyyy to funny!!!! This is sooo great! Can't wait to see what Master Yoda tells him! *Snrk* Obviously he'll have to do the ceremony, he 'did' say that he would do it *snrk* hehehehehe

And Anakin is eating it up!!! Poor Obi!!

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I still don't like that wicked Grandmother! [face_devil]

Awesome post,Arwyn! :)

5. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Bravo Arwyn! :) Superb as usual. I can see that Anakin is going to be no help in this situation! LOL!

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this :)

6. Trickster_Goddess

Trickster_Goddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    ROFL! Poor Obi-Wan! [face_laugh] Lol, I loved that Anakin is on the floor laughing at his Master's misfortune- what kid wouldn't be in that situation? :p

7. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Jedi Master Jen Thanks for being the first to reply!

Terrific start Arwyn. So far I'm liking your Special Edition much better than I like Lucas'

Why, thank you! I didn't mean to pull a Lucas, but it's funny how even the passage of a couple of years can give you new insight into a piece of work. I have some sympathy for Lucas now and his need to fiddle around with his work. :)

Kynstar Yes, poor Obi-Wan has got himself in rather a delicate bind, of that there's no doubt. ;)

Sara Thanks, Sara! I introducd Lady Tsara a little earlier this time around. Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.

Sabe Thanks, Sabe! I'm wondering where I'm going to take this myself. :)

Trickster_Goddess Anakin, of course, loves any opportunity, I would imagine, to see his normally stuffy Master in situations like this. :)

I have a second post ready to go. I probably, however, will be posting once or twice a week, depending upon my schedule. Thanks so much, all of you, for your quick responses. It means a lot to me, having returned to this Board after a year long absence.

8. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    TITLE: First Knight - Part Two
    BY: Arwyn Whitesun

------------

"Agreed to this you did?"

Obi-Wan crossed his arms over his chest and curtly nodded. "But that was before I knew---"

"Then go through with it you must."

Obi-Wan stared at the flickering blue hologram of Master Yoda which was being transmitted from Coruscant on his comm unit. He could not believe Yoda was countenancing this reprehensible ceremony.

"Master, perhaps you did not hear what I said." A muscle in Obi-Wan's jaw worked. "I am being asked by the bride's own father to---"

"Heard you I did. Not deaf am I."

"I'm sorry, Master." Obi-Wan took a deep breath. "But surely you can see I can't possibly go through----"

"Unable to physically? Is that what you are saying?"

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. "No, of course not."

"Then problem I see not. Agreed you did this blessing ceremony to perform. To back out would be dishonorable. Not worthy of a Jedi."

"Is it worthy of a Jedi to lie with another man's wife as part of some barbaric ritual?" Obi-Wan retorted, anger sharpening his words.

Yoda's frog-like eyes narrowed and he banged his walking stick on the floor of wherever he was in the Temple.

"Play games with me not, Obi-Wan! See it that way the Ahjanese do not. To them very sacred this ceremony is. Because of your connection to the Force, believe it they do that your lying with the bride on her wedding night will the fertility of her marriage ensure. But if enough research you had done, know this you would have."

Obi-Wan lowered his eyes, but inwardly he bristled at Yoda's rebuke. He prided himself on painstakingly researching the cultures and worlds he was going to visit before embarking on a mission. He had done so with the Ahjanese. He had, however, concentrated his research on their political, economic and military systems. Yoda was right. He had not researched thoroughly enough and, as a result, was now in this woeful predicament.

"Obi-Wan?"

He raised his eyes. "Yes, Master?"

"Not fair of me such a thing to say. That this would happen foresee you could not. But happen it has. Therefore, decide you must what best to do."

Obi-Wan sighed heavily. "I know, Master. But if I don't go through with the ceremony, Dynast K'lia will be shamed before all his people."

"And care for him you do, hmmm?"

Obi-Wan nodded. "He's a decent, honorable man. And decent men are rare enough in these troubled times."

"True that is."

"He asked me in good faith to bless his daughter's marriage. And I agreed to do so, ignorant though I might have been as to what was involved. I do not wish to break faith with him."

"Then obvious the answer is. The blessing ceremony you must do."

Obi-Wan firmly shook his head. "I can not."

"Why? Forbidden by the Code you are not since Knight you now are."

Obi-Wan stared at Yoda. The answer should have been obvious. Attachment and possession were forbidden to the Jedi, but they were not a celibate order. Padawans were expected to remain celibate during their training, but some Knights, and even a few Masters had, over the history of the Order, chosen to marry, though most did not. The years of training and dedication required to become a Jedi usually lessened such desires. Obi-Wan was certain he was above such needs. He had no wish to test that carefully attained resolve.

He firmed his jaw. "I can not do this, Master. And even if I were to do it, intimate relations between a man and a woman should be more meaningful."

"To the Ahjanese very meaningful this ceremony is. Sacred to them it is."

"Master---"

"No use in going over this again, Obi-Wan. Clear your path is. Only following it now remains."

It was easy enough for Yoda to say. He wasn't the one going down that particular path. Obi-Wan was disappointed. He had expected Yoda to side with him on the matter and help him find a way out of this mess. Then a thought occurred to him.

"Master, I don't even know what she looks like."

"How she looks a difference it would make as to whether the ceremony you will

9. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    ROTFL! Obi-Wan and Yoda's conversation was just as hilarious the second time round! :) Poor Obi-Wan, now that Yoda has let him down, I wonder if he will be able to find a solution.

10. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Obi-Wan crossed his arms over his chest and curtly nodded. "But that was before I knew---"

That part reminded me of a petulant litte child. I could just picture Ewan McGregor in that pose.

"Unable to physically? Is that what you are saying?"

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. "No, of course not."

Okay, this cracked me up. It seems hilarious that Yoda would question Obi-Wan's ability to....ahem....perform. [face_laugh]

I also loved Yoda chastising Obi about his lack of research into the marriage rituals on Ajhane. The Master was schooling the student. That was great. Thought it was funny that Yoda seemed to delight in Obi's discomfort just like Anakin, even if he was somewhat less obvious about it.

As usual Arwyn, this is wonderful.

11. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I adored Yoda telling Obi-Wan off about not being prepared going into this assignment. That was fantastic! [face_laugh]

And Yoda telling him that he could "lie" with Onara, because he already agreed to do so. ;) Hehe.

Great update! :)

12. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    :D

I do love the conflict you've set up at the beginning of this story, Arwyn, and am very excited to be a part of this second time around!

I can't wait to see what you change and what stays the same in this piece, which I've always thought was one of your best!

Well, I can tell what has stayed the same...Obi-Wan's dedication to what he believes is right, Anakin's willingness to have a laugh at his master's expense, and the excellent writing that you've always given us...

Great job, hun! :) :D

13. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Sabe Thanks, Sabe! Glad you enjoyed Yoda and Obi-Wan the second time. :)

JediMaster Jen Thanks Jen! I must say I do try to draw as much inspiration from the incomparable Ewan McGregor as I can when writing my fics. :)

Sara Thanks, Sara! Yoda can't resist giving all of his Jedi's a lesson, even when they're no longer under his tutelage. :)

Astoranna Thanks AA! I have some ideas for changes, but will try not to veer too much from the original story line. But, then who knows? I'm discovering some things I hadn't thought of before this second time around.

It's so sweet that you guys are reading this again. I didn't think anyone would want to the second time around. :)

I'm starting a new work assignment tomorrow, so my posting will be as time allows, but since it's Sunday I do have one more post which I'll put it sometime today.

Thanks again!

14. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh man! That was great indeed!!!! ROTFL!!! Great job!! *SNRK!* Yoda asking if he can 'perform' *snrk!* hehehehehe that was priceless! And the 'humor' in Yoda's voice at the end! Poor Obi!!!

15. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    TITLE: First Knight - Part Three

------------------

"No, I will not do it."

"Onara, please. You must not flout tradition. You must not----."

"No, Father. I have done all you asked of me, but I will not go through with the blessing ceremony."

Onara was in her chamber, still dressed in her wedding gown, but she had removed her veils. Her father stood on the other side of the room, having decided, she imagined, that was the safest distance from her.

She glanced at the shards of the vase on the floor and frowned. She had not meant to throw it against the wall. It had been childish of her, she knew, but it was so unfair! It was bad enough she had been torn from her studies at the Cloister to marry a man she did not know and who was old enough to be her father. But to have to go through this ridiculous ritual. And with a Jedi no less!

She firmed her jaw. No, she would not do it.

Her father lifted his hands and Onara's heart softened when she saw how much they trembled. He was not ill, just old and it hurt her to know that someday he would be gone. And who would rule their province then? She was his only child, but she would be spending the rest of her life in Kindah province as Dynast Edress' wife. If she were to have a child, however, that child would inherit her father's province.

If she were to have a child. Edress was old, so there was a good chance he was incapable of fathering children. He'd been married once, but his wife had died childless. Onara's father did not want to take any chances on her not bearing a child. He truly believed that if she spent her wedding night with someone as powerful as a Jedi Knight, she would have a fertile marriage with Edress.

"Onara," her father began, his voice shaking. "Please. Do not make this any more difficult than it has to be."

"I'm not the one making it difficult." She sighed and shook her head. "Father, I have done everything you have asked of me. I have married Edress. I have left the Cloister, and you know how much my studies meant to me. Now you ask me to participate in the blessing ceremony with that....that Jedi."

"Master Kenobi is a fine and honorable man, Onara. There is no reason for you to fear him."

"I'm not afraid of him."

That wasn't entirely true. She was afraid of him. Or at least he made her uneasy. He was, after all, a Jedi. What did she know of the Jedi? Nothing except that they possessed magical powers and were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy. But what peace had the Jedi brought her? She was bound in marriage to a detestable, greedy man who cared nothing for her. What little peace she had known in her life was gone.

And what justice had the Jedi given her? Her life, through no fault of her own, was over as far as she was concerned because the Jedi, with absolutely no thought as to how it would affect her, had arranged her marriage to Edress. What justice was there in that? Were all Jedi so unfeeling? Was that what made them so attuned to this Force of theirs?

K'lia smiled at her. "It pleases me to here you do not fear him. You are as brave as your mother was."

"Thank you, Father. But listen, please. The blessing ceremony is nothing more than an archaic ritual with no basis in fact. Therefore there is no reason for me to go through with it."

K'lia's kindly face crumpled into puzzled creases. Onara was well aware her father did not put much stock in her modern ideas, but she hoped that appealing to logic would sway him.

"When I was at the Cloister," she went on, her voice throbbing with conviction, "I read histories that proved the ceremony only came about because long ago some Dynast decided he wanted to be the first to lie with the virgin brides of noble families."

Onara went over to her father, took his hands and gently squeezed them. "It's true, Father. The Dynast had his priests concoct this nonsense that a bride's fertility could be increased by her lying with a man of power on her wedding night. Don't you see, Father. The blessing ceremony is noth

16. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Another great post Arwyn. I like how you portray Onara as being both aprehensive and a little excited at the prospect of being with a Jedi.

Tears stung Onara's eyes. Never. She would never wear that shameless gown nor would she go through with the ceremony. She would find a way out of it. Somehow.

Sounds like Onara and Obi-Wan are pretty compatible. They're already thinking alike. He doesn't want to go through with it either. [face_laugh]

Wonderful job.

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor thing... ohhhh she hadn't seen the good looking Jedi, eh? *Snrk* shoot... no wonder she's objecting! She ain't seen how such a fine man he is!! [face_mischief] hehehehe! Lucky chit! She should consider herself lucky!! ;) But how 'selfish' of me is that? *Snrk* hehehehe

Great job once more!!

18. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi Arwyn!

I've just had a chance to catch up now. Already I'm seeing some small changes in langugage and it's wonderful. I see Tsara is just as evil as always. :D Great job and I can't wait for more!

Shaindl

19. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Kynstar Thanks, Kynstar! Yes, it is true that she hasn't yet had a chance to behold Obi-Wan in all his lovely Jedi glory. :)

Jedi Master Jen Thanks, JM Jen! It's so cool that you picked up on her excitement. It could be that the lady doth protest too much. ;)

Shanidl Hi Shanidl! How nice of you to take this journey again. Again, I'm very touched that people who read this before are reading it again.

Thank you all. @};-

20. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    TITLE: First Knight - Part Four

---------------------------------------------

"Master, I don't think I've ever seen you look better."

Obi-Wan's eyes flashed a warning. "Anakin."

Anakin only laughed which, Obi-Wan noted with no small degree of irritation, his Padawan had done a lot these past few hours. When Obi-Wan had reluctantly agreed to at least ostensibly go through with the blessing ceremony, as he had yet to discover a way of avoiding it without bringing disgrace upon Dynast K'lia and his family, the household had gone into hyperdrive. Obi-Wan and Anakin's quarters in the Dynast's manor was soon filled with servants running to and fro as they prepared for the ceremony. Unfortunately, most of those preparations had centered around Obi-Wan.

The Jedi Knight had been bathed in scented water and massaged with exotic oils. The servants had trimmed his hair, wanted to shave his beard until he made it quite clear he would not allow that, manicured his nails and had also tried, until Obi-Wan had finally had enough and shouted at them to leave him alone or he would run them all through with his lightsaber, to curl his hair in a style they insisted was appropriate for the ceremony.

The sight of the terrified servants tripping over each other to get away from his incensed master had sent Anakin into a paroxysm of laughter. He had laughed so hard, as a matter of fact, his face had turned red, tears had streamed from his eyes, and Obi-Wan had been certain he was going to bust a gut.

Which, considering how annoyed he was with his Padawan at the time, would not have upset Obi-Wan in the least. As he had watched Anakin rolling about the couch, braying like a maddened gundark, Obi-Wan had decided that when next he saw Master Yoda he would suggest another directive be added to the Code. A Jedi Shall Not Laugh.

Anakin had now recovered enough of his dignity to at least have the good grace to only chuckle as he looked Obi-Wan over.

"No, really, Master. You look great."

Obi-Wan looked at himself in the large mirror of his bedchamber. He had insisted on wearing his Jedi clothes for the ceremony, despite the servants' attempts to force on him what they claimed was the appropriate attire for the blessing ceremony. Said attire, however, had consisted of clothing luxurious and decadent enough, in Obi-Wan's opinion, to make even a Twi'lek slave girl blush.

The servants had then insisted on at least cleaning his clothes while he had bathed. They had returned them, along with his boots, which had been oiled until they glowed. His lightsaber hung from his belt, for he had insisted on not being parted from it, but as he examined his reflection he saw no discernable change in his appearance. He shrugged and turned away from the mirror.

"Where is Simtro?"

Anakin sat on the couch and stretched out his long legs. "He had to check on some final details with Lady Tsara."

"Well, I hope he doesn't take long."

Anakin chuckled. "What's wrong, Master? Can't wait to get started?"

Obi-Wan frowned darkly. "It's not funny, Anakin. I have no intention of going through with this blasted ceremony, and I fully intend on finding a way to----.

He stopped as Simtro came through the door. "Master Jedi, we are ready."

Obi-Wan nodded, but he was far from ready as he still had no idea how he was going to get himself out of this mess.

Anakin rose from the couch and grinned. "If you want, Master, I'd be more than happy to take your place."

Obi-Wan saw that Simtro was about to protest, so he quickly cut him off. "He's only joking."

He turned to Anakin and signaled with his eyes that he was to cease his antics. Anakin rolled his own eyes, but nodded to show he would obey. They followed Simtro into the hall and made their way down a series of corridors until they came to a large, ornately decorated door. Simtro opened it. The three entered the chamber.

Anakin gasped. Obi-Wan shared Anakin's astonishment. The room wasn?t very big. Actually, it was quite small but it was the c

21. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Ah, and the harpy breaks up what could have been a nice sharing moment between Anakin and Obi-Wan. One of the things I liked about this story the first time around is how you showed Anakin as a typical teenager - skewing between juvenile humour and adult seriousness. My brother's 16 and he does that - one moment he's snickering like a 10 year old, the next he's discussing world peace.

Incidentally, just out of curiosity, do you have this planned out all the way through the third story? I'd like to know how this all ends after all this time... :p

Shaindl

22. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Anakin's constant laughing was hysterical.

"You know, if you want, Master, I'd be more than happy to take your place."

Yeah, I bet he would! Typical teenage boy, but I liked how he was able to immediately act older than his years and try to help Obi-Wan.

Was that Lady Tsara that burst into the room? Oooh, I can't stand her! :mad:

Great post Arwyn. I love this story. =D=

23. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Shaindl Thanks, Shanidl!

Incidentally, just out of curiosity, do you have this planned out all the way through the third story? I'd like to know how this all ends after all this time...

Yep, I do have it planned all the way through. Well, I should say as planned as my Muse will allow me to plan. ;) All of us who write know how fickle the Muse can be, but I'm determined to finally finish my trilogy.

Actually, that's why I'm rewriting it. I realized I had to go back and rewrite Books 1 and 2 to fit what will happen in Book 3, In Love and War.

What happened is that when I decided to continue with Book 3, well, during my year and a half-long hiatus I'd come up with ideas that required me to start over from scratch. I hope that makes sense. :)

And I apologize for having started all over. But my Muse is a harsh task-mistress. :D

Jedi Master Jen Thanks, JM Jen! I like Anakin and I like the way Hayden plays him. I know I'm probably in the minority regarding that, but I stand by it. ;) And, yep, that was Lady Tsara bursting in. :)

24. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Woohoo! An update! Yippee! hehehe yeah Anakin would not mind taking Obi's place, eh?

Well I do hope they didn't cut his hair too short! Loooove his locks in AotC *sigh* ;) hehehehe

Poor Obi.. nothing has prepared you for this kind of 'diplomacy' that is for sure! *Snrk* hehehehe

Great job! Can't wait to see what else that 'Lady' has to say! :D

25. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Perfect sense. I had a perfect plot planned out for the third story in my own series until I realised that I had already killed off (in the second story) what would have been one of the third story's main characters. :D

It's just that poor Anakin was left lying on a hard and unforgiving floor for so long...I was worried about the poor kid. :p

Cheers,

Shaindl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.