main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm kinda looking forward to the coming Harry Potter movie. I've been watching the previous four with my nephew over the last month or so, and although I was determind not to, I've gotten into the whole Potter world. [face_laugh]

Those that know, is the new one too intense to take a five and half year old to? I'm hearing its a pretty disturbing film in places, but my nephews been telling me he wants to go and see it...

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I haven't seen the fifth movie yet, but I wouldn't say the fifth book was anymore violent than the fourth. It was darker, though, since it centered more on the students and their schoolwork. And I find the idea of schoolwork depressing. :p

But seriously, the fifth book lacked humor. If I were your nephew's age, I'd probably find it boring until the last quarter. The movie may make for for this, however.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    My buddy at work is a huge Potter buff. Me and her started this whole debate on which is better Star Wars vs Harry Potter. It's a little biased to bring up on a strict SW board, but I feel maybe we can get a discussion going on here.

I mean lightsabers are sooo much cooler than magic wands. Plus the force is all the "magic" you really need.

4. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo*

MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2000
    *gets in line*

I'm hoping Transformers remains tops at the box office [face_praying] :-B

5. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Ugh, Transformers was .... well, i don't want to say "bad", since i had very low expectations from Michael "Who needs to explain anything, just have explosions and dramatic music!" Bay. No, okay, i take it back, it was bad. It was fine for what it was -- a check-your-brain-at-the-door summer "blockbuster". But it was bad in so many ways. The FX were well done, and Shia LeBouf (sp?) is good (the bright spot of the film). And there is of course the "geek factor" -- being a Transformers fan since the 80s cartoon (and comics), it was sweet to see Optimus. But overall, just not good -- although a good set-up film to establish a new film-franchise. As long as Michael Bay stays away from any sequels, i'll check them out. Being anti-Michael Bay has been a rule for me for a while, but since this was Transformers, it got a reprieve from my self-imposed ban. Big mistake.

Not a horrible movie. But not good. No sir. :(

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    They are so differant, I'm not sure you can compare. However, Star Wars will always be my one true love. I think Star Wars is much much more "filmic" than Harry Potter. Potter, like LOTR, is more literate, but Star Wars is cinema in its purest form. It is stylish and iconic in a way that Potter isn't. My heart will always belong to Star Wars. [face_love]

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think it's fair to compare Rowling the novelist with Lucas the film maker. The Potter films are alright, but they're not Star Wars, and the films aren't where Harry Potter makes the most impact.

Lucas made SW at a time where cynical anti-heroes where en vogue, and he really did come up with a "new hope" and got back to the basics of storytelling.

Though I'm no expert on Potter, I expect Rowling started writing Potter at a similar time in children's literature - obviously influenced by Tolkien, Lewis, MacDonald, Baum, but coming up with something new at a time when fairy tales in children's lit were not in fashion.

8. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Harry Potter and Star Wars are like apples and oranges to me. I love both of them for different reasons, and can't really compare the two. There are very similar themes throughout -- good vs. evil, the idea of a 'chosen one', a son's relationship to his father, etc. -- but you could say the same about many epic stories. I do agree that lightsabers are inherently cooler than wands, though. :p

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    that's because lightsabers are really the coolest thing ever.

Once they develop a lightsaber game for the Wii, the North American economy will grind to a halt.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Too true! [face_laugh]

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I just saw Harry Potter 5 last night. Not bad, actually, considering that was the book I probably liked least of the bunch. They cut out a LOT though, but you can't blame them, really, since the book was so long.

Fortunately, they cut out most of the sappy love moments of the novel and the grinding schoolwork the kids were forced to perform throughout 50% of the novel, which made it much more entertaining. They cut out some major plotpoints involving Harry/Voldemort/Neville, however, which might screw them over come the sixth and seventh movies. [face_thinking]

G-Fett, if you're wondering about taking your nephew to see it, I'd say go for it. There's far less violence in this one than the last. The movie's dark, but I'd mostly chalk that up to the lighting. :p The movie's fun, although it's a little too fast-paced at times and might confuse those who didn't read the books.

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I think kids can handle dark.

I've heard quite a few comments on Book 5 being the weakest of the lot.

Though I read the first 3 Potter novels, I found them entertaining but very similar. Tina loves the films but hasn't read the novels, so I get dragged out to them every year. I must say I enjoyed the last film quite a bit, so I have pretty high expectations for the new one.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    The one problem I have with remakes and reprises with film today is the fact that it's all mainstream. People who have never seen the cartoon or the first movie will start praising transformers and wearing the t-shirts. Thats the wrong idea of transformers. Plus it seems like one large car commercial, which bothers me.

If they're comming from distant planets, how come they are designed after our car models? Pssschhhh.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Their alt modes take on the appearance of vehicles once they arrive (in the cartoon, it's one-time process of rebuilding, while in the movie they can apparently just scan anything and instantly reconfigure themselves).

As for Potter vs SW, I can only judge the former by the films as I haven't had the time or interest in reading the books, but I think most of the comaprisons can come from the majority of characters being primarily examples of archetypes, and though SW has a lot of that too, Harry Potter's characters are simplified and seemingly much more similar to the characters in Transformers (well, not the Michael Bay movie, but the original series and comics) in that most characters are essentially a single character trait magnified into a personality. A couple occassionally have a few more shades of depth to them, but generally do break down to that. Thus why characters based around irritating and annoying/silly traits are themselves irritating and annoying/silly, while others based around more endearing or interesting qualities are more enjoyable.

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I can't compare HP and SW - I haven't seen the HP films yet.

What do you mean by that? What is this "idea"? [face_thinking]

[face_laugh]

Why has nobody thought of this before? Why is there not a WiiSaber game available right now? Brilliance, GARTH, brilliance.

=D=

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Well the idea is to not be so mainstream. The movies should be for the old real fans, not for the new ones dragged into it by media pressure. People who have never seen the cartoon or the first transformers movie will get the wrong impression of the movie. Man, some people will go not knowing one thing about the decepticons, not knowing who Optimus Prime is...and where the hell is soundwave?!

Oh and for the lightsaber Wii game, theres a little trailer of what this guy did on youtube of how it would look. Not the best quality, but definatly interesting to see how a lightsaber wielding wii game would look.

17. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Actually Nintendo is developing a game right now that will operate just like a lightsaber game would. Money is probably the reason why they didn't go directly after the SW name.

18. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo*

MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2000
    Well I seen Harry Potter 5 last night and getting ready to read Harry Potter 7 [face_dancing] o_O

19. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    The upcoming "Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga" will feature Wii-controlled lightsaber action. Not overly substantial, but it's a start.

20. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Not a big fan of the Lego SW games. I mean, there alright, nothing special though. Very basic combat, and a game objective you really don't have to think about. They should develope the saga with Wii controlling like the SW arcade game in the 90's. The one where you face off against Vader with 1st person view. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    The main focus of the Lego Star Wars games was to laugh, really. It's so basic it's laughable - wait :oops:

The fun behind it drew me in. The new game for Wii definitely interests me - pity I don't have a Wii myself, though. Do you know if it will be on the Gamecube as well?

22. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    I love the Lego Star Wars games. They're hilarious, and yes somewhat basic in terms of gameplay, but very deep if you're a video game completionist like i am. :D They're also just plain simple fun, which unfortunately a lot of games today seem to forget is an important part of video gaming.

As far as the next game, i know it'll be out for all next-gen systems (360, Wii, PS3) as well as the current handhelds (DS and PSP), but i don't think there will be a Gamecube version, as we're in the final days now of Nintendo phasing out the 'Cube. I could be wrong though, and wouldn't be surprised if there is a 'Cube version being done, especially since LA and Nintendo have always had a good relationship. I could see LA producing a 'Cube port if for no other reason but to maintain Nintendo-player fan-support.

But if you can, i'd definitely reccomend picking up a Wii. They're not too pricey, and you can still play all your Gamecube games on it. And the Virtual Console alone would have made me buy the system even if that's all it was. :D

Once the new Lego game comes out, i know people will look at me strange -- i already have the first 2 games, but i'm still going to buy the Saga game as well. And knowing me, i'll probably end up picking up both the 360 version (for the pretty pretty hi-def and Achievements) and the Wii version (for the lightsabering, unless it isn't really any good). Yes, i'm stupid.

Meanwhile, i'm also looking forward to the eventual Lego Batman game they have in development now. That should rule. :cool:

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't expect a GCN verson of Lego saga- since the Wii is basicly an upgraded version of the same hardware, it'd be a little redundant. Plus, both LEGO SW games came out for GCN already (though could be played on the Wii), so I think their positioning saga as being the first LEGO SW release actually for the Wii itself.

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That makes sense, Quest. Either way, I tend to play most games on the computers these days, sadly. The consoles have slowly vanished from the house after the N64 era. The Gamecube is actually my brother's - and Lego Star Wars was a major reason for it, too. Plus F-Zero GX. :cool:

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Finally saw Transformers last night, and I was quite impressed.

It was interesting that they had 3 or 4 lines (at least) straight out of the original TF: The Movie.

Pretty stupid at the end with the humans I think, but maybe that's just me.

The one thing I learned is that the US Army can take down giant alien transforming robots, but can't make any headway in Iraq. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.