main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    On the bright side, we've been waiting for official Mandator art for at least a decade.

If it ends up canonising this fan version of it, that might be nice. Though they need to do better about asking permission and about attribution.

2. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    It would be neat if it does turn out to be a bunch of Mandator dreadnoughts, though I have a feeling it will be maybe another smaller class of warship, but who knows.

3. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    The issue with these "stolen" designs is that they rarely end up "canonising" their original versions as they are often meant to represent other ships entirely. It's unlikely that the First Order would be using ships as old as Mandator-Is, or that the Nebulon-K had already been introduced by the time of the Aphra comic series. If any of these ships will ever receive official art in the future, I'd be surprised if they kept these designs.
    My impression is that the story group may not always be heavily involved on comics given how things like Rakatas or Legends Bothans "accidentally" slipped-in in the past.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    I wondered if they were supposed to be Mandator-IVs, but ended up as Mandator-Is somehow.

Long Snoot likes this.
  5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I guess that is possible, but it is a serious mistake if it is, and shows the lack of knowledge and care from the production team. I want to believe Lucasfilm and marvel contacted Evillejedi and asked if his design could be used.

SheaHublin and vncredleader like this.
  6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I actually dislike the blending of the ring into the hull. The locations of the weapons and combat systems on the ring as opposed to the rest of the Profundity seemed like a delibarate choice- the core frame was a city-ship, but the combat systems were basically a bolted on attachment, making it a far faster refit than the more integrated MC-80s

7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I don't recall ever seeing that last one and it's really great. Almost like a Mon Cal version of Voyager (ST) in the fore section.

I'm a little rusty on what McQuarrie did concept-wise for ROTJ. I seem to recall that his big paintings (the ones that went into the portfolios that accompanied all of the OT films) were done after the concept phase for that film and somehow that's left me with the impression that he did less concept stuff in general, but that's probably my memory playing up on me after all this time.

8. DB 2310

DB 2310 Jedi Knight

Sep 18, 2018
    I really like the last one, it's really good looking. I remember I saw that image associated with the mediator battlecruiser and used to think it was an official image, it's still my head cannon visual though.

9. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    well my idea was to create a triangle like cruiser as main opponent of FO star destroyers, so that ring is actually and double armor plating of main systems.Allmost all turbolaser have possibility to fire forward course, as well as more than half of them have possibility to taking side fire.Also acording to New republic doctrine it has very little of crew members.A lot of system automated or running by droids.Several hangars .To withdraw the risk ofdestroyinf full wing by one direct hit.Also it has not much of marines on board-more like small special forces teams.It was created to defend borders of New republic and be main weapon against FO capital ships. It has 2350 meter long and much more of turbolasers and torpedos(on that benaeth wing) than Ressurgent-class

10. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018

Well, it seems like we already had it under our noses since 2017...
    It perfectly matches the pictures from the new guide and the hologram in TLJ.

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm looking at the Wookieepedia and did Lucasfilm literally steal this guy's work for the TIE Command Shuttle? Or get him to work for them, like with Fractalsponge?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Long Snoot likes this.
  12. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    I had been doing some research yesterday and it's interesting to note that the custom model seems to be the only instance where the now canon name "TIE Command Shuttle" had ever been used before the book came out. This along with the fact that the model isn't very easy one to stumble upon (the classic TIE-Bomber with no bombing shute is much more common in Google Images) makes me want to believe that it was at least an intentional nod, but I guess you can never know. Crediting Jason Eaton somewhere in the book would have surely helped.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had been comparing the two models side by side, and the one in the book is indeed a very slightly angled version of the same image in his website:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Tzizvvt78 and vncredleader like this.
  13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So...question about the Millennium Falcon being captured and brought aboard the Death Star in ANH.

We know they weren't flying with the landing gear down. And I would assume that Han did not put them down because that would signal that there was someone on board the Falcon. So is there some sort of automated landing sequence that gets activated by certain things that a ship's computer recognizes?? Like the tractor beam captures and no one is operating the controls and sensors show the ship in being pulled aboard another ship.....put down the gear.

seeker_two, Alpha-Red and JABoomer like this.
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Got the TIE Fighter Haynes manual the other day. I love it, except... the standard TIE, in every instance, is referred to as a TIE/in instead of a TIE/ln! There's some lines where they're talking about the base TIE and the Interceptor in the same sentence and they're both called TIE/in! How did this get past the editor?!

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The same way the Hammerhead / Sphyrna-class corvette became 315m long in Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles.

vncredleader and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Only thing I can think of is...maybe they sent in a boarding party to lower the landing gear before it touched down?

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Probably most major commercial and military docking bays use automated landing controlled by the port to maximize traffic control and minimize risk of inexperienced, incapacitated, stupid, or criminal pilots crashing into things.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they have a spellchecker which corrects ln to in and they didn't notice the issue?

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    And that is why it should always be written in capital letters.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been doing a bit of measuring of TIE windows and cross-referencing to the listed size of the ship - and I've noticed that some (but not all) ships have the same size of viewing window.

Most notably, the TIE Fighter, TIE Striker, and TIE Boarding Craft all have the same (smallest) size. Which makes sense, since all three appeared together in Rogue One.

Bombers, Interceptors, Defenders, TIE Advanced, TIE Brute, etc all have significantly larger windows.

Sean_Connery likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You could assume then, that if they had all been in Rogue One, their windows would all be the same size there.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, we're stuck with them all having larger windows. The book actually states outright that the FO TIE has larger windows - which is consistent with the measurements - and the Advanced and Interceptor's windows, relative to the size of the ball cockpit, are proportionally larger than those of the TIE/ln.

So we have ships with similar-sized ball cockpits, but proportionally larger windows.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    The fact that the TIE boarding craft and the TIE bomber share the same airframe for me means the difference in window size is not an in universe thing, and if seen together in a movie/tv show/comic, they would be identical in that respect.

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Today's Luke centric issue of Age of Rebellion features a wonderful story set before Endor. Of note to Fleet Junkies, the Rebels have a captured "Imperial support ship", ie the new canon Dreadnaught cruiser seen in the finale of Star Wars: Rebels. ;)

--Adm. Nick

25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It's sad what they have done to the Dreadnought. It looks terrible here, and keeps changing size drastically. And why does it have windows???