main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh cool page 1138.

I imagine the Sith Eternal named the ships and legions.

All Palpatine cared about was the Eclipse.

Daneira likes this.
  2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I find it sort of questionable that the cultists would either know about Dooku and Maul (given that so much about them and their sith activities was kept secret), or that they would idolize those who fought against Sheev. But then again in Legends Palpy wrote about that stuff in his Dark Side journals, so I suppose they could have gottne access to them before he came back or something.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The best way to hide information or people is not in secrecy but in the open... flooded with way more information and people than anybody seeking them can handle.

I bet Palpy had a blog where he spilled his plans on the holonet, just nobody took him serious!

Huncrweo likes this.
  4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The problem is that a lot of SW ship lengths originate in WEG - for instance, the 150m CR90, the 1.2km MC80, the 9.6m A-wing. I think the "mile-long" ISD goes back further, maybe to the movie production, but I can't identify an individual source immediately...

As long as there was an emphasis on retaining consistency across the canon, retaining those established sizes made more sense to me than using the internally-inconsistent movie scaling, but if you're working from the movies, the size of full-sized sets really ought to carry the most weight. I like designs that really fit neatly together - the light cruiser in TCW/REBELS being an excellent example of this, and two obvious ones in the movies are the Lambda and the Sail Barge (which seems to be around 42m, not the 30m of Cross-Sections)...

Tagging @Chris0013 and @Tuskin38 and @ColeFardreamer because they were in this discussion too...

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Tuskin38 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Here's the 6ft stormtrooper in front of the bridge windows of the command cruiser. I think I posted something similar months ago. There's no interior model obviously.

[​IMG]

Snafu55 likes this.
  6. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000

Thanks. :D As I probably said already, the problem is, the deck for the windows in the bridge wings is a little below the level of the viewports in the centre... from a quick-and-dirty scaling, the length of the ship would need to be reduced by around one-quarter or one-third to bring the trooper up to size, so if this is a 325m scaling, that brings the "corrected" length down to approximately 215m-250m... [face_thinking]

Coincidentally, that 215m command cruiser would bring the docking-ring neatly in scale with the one on a 100m CR90, but that's only because both ship-sizes are being reduced by one-third. :p

- The Imperial Ewok

Chrissonofpear2 and Snafu55 like this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How about compared to the Falcon and Ghost??

8. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    @Chris0013 - is that an ANH or a TFA Falcon...? :p

I also have no idea what scale the VCX-100 "should" be (except that the design seems to fit together inside-and-out almost perfectly, the only part I'm not sure of being the corridor aft to the shuttle-dock)...

- The Impeiral Ewok

9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    So..I am still extremely miffed that they did not include the Naboo Star Skiff from RoTS in the "Complete Vehicles"(HOWCANITBECALLEDCOMPLETEIFITDOESNOTINCLUDEASHIPWITHANIMPORTANTROLEINAMOVIE!!!!!). But it strikes me that they can make this up to me personally for this extremely offensive and personal slight.

A new cross section book based on the 3 animated series and other sources like the comics. The skiff was in TCW so it can be added...along with a whole lot of cools ships like the Kom;rk/Gauntlet, the Kasmiri, the Gozanti, the Arquitens, the Ghost, all the fighters/racers from Resistance....

Sean_Connery likes this.
  10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

I bet the Dusty Duck gets a crosssection before the Star Skiff...

Sean_Connery and Resistance_Man like this.
  11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That's it..your on my list....[face_monkey]

12. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    I’ve been wanting a cross-section of that star skiff for years, and this is how they treat us? Must a personal attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris0013 likes this.
  13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    What about the Resistance B-wing?!

Tuskin38 likes this.
  14. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    There is a lot of missed stuff...I am greedy an want it all. But the Skiff most of all because I just really want to see how they get to the cockpit.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm the exact same. How? Obviously the ship should've been a H-type yacht judging from the cockpit.

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Maybe they used Magwit's mystifying hoop to get to the cockpit...
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Magwit's_mystifying_hoop

Or the Cockpit is in the ships front and once the ramp is close is pulled up to the windows by a lift system.. for whatever reason that may have been designed like that.

17. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Huh according to Wook, they didn't even film on a physical set (for the cockpit) it was all digital, using background plates from Episode 2.
    The only set built for the Skiff were the other parts of the interior, but that was only constructed during pickups.

There's no source connected to this info though.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  18. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    If we get a Dusty Duck cross-section, can we also get one for the Krayt's Honour...? :p

Padmé's Ep.III skiff is not easy to make sense of - perhaps the cockpit is actually in the front of the hull, with holographic viewports, and that's the bedroom up top-back...? That configuration also suits the TPM ship quite well, and while the Ep.II ship they take to Tatooine and Geonosis does actually have the the cockpit where you'd expect, the position of the ramp leaves no room for anything else except engine/storage space... :p

Of course, a lot of this depends on how much you want to imagine the CGI sets as "accurate" representations, and how much you headcanon them as impressionistic holofakery worked around figure-focused holograms of the type we see Artoo using throughout the movies... [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Wait for the day Star Wars adopts Star Trek Discovery's Season 3 Nanotech solves floorplan issues tech!

If nanobots can make Kenobi look like anybody in TCW and turn humans into shapeshifters, I can imagine a ship can be rearranged more easily... (yeah I am still not over that episode's technological or rather biotechnological entanglements!).

I still wait for a Ghost crosssection, that ship too is nonsensical in some ways so floorplans only work in 2D.

So many ships in need... Gozantis, Duck... DK can do rebublished complete books for years to come!

20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Let us not forget variants...Gozantis have the civilian freighter but also the Imperial freighter that carries TIEs, AT-ATs, etc..

I also think that Maul's Gauntlet may have had the troop bay modified to something of a living space.

21. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Some Starhawk concept art has been released, squadrons spoilers

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  22. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    If the Mandalorian Visual Guide goes the Rogue One approach we could see 5-6 cross sections, including perhaps one or two about the imperial ships from this season ;)
    Or they could go like with the Solo Visual Guide and only release one for the main ship. I'm still salty they went for the Falcon and not the AT-Hauler.

Snafu55 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

I still wonder why the AT-Hauler got a shower on board... I mean... why the luxury? it is a tug and hauler only! Unless that was no shower and they just... abused some anti-fire supression system as one?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Snafu55 likes this.
  24. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Because Han and Chewie needed to wash the mud off....

Snafu55 and JediBatman like this.
  25. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    I'd prefer the use of hypertech to create pocket spaces (I sometimes wonder if the smuggling compartments work this way)... I'm also too much a fan of the well-designed TOS Enterprise (especially in season one form, before they started tweaking sets for easy filming) to be much impressed by the impossible twister of some of the Disco interiors...

That stuff makes my head hurt. :p

The VCX-100 actually fits together really neatly - the main deck has the bridge, a corridor with the four crew cabins off either side, a central lobby with the docking arms off either side and the top turret above, and then the crew lounge with the 'fresher at back left. The lower deck has the forward gun position at the front, then the big hold under the corridor and cabins, and then the rarely-seen engineroom beneath the lobby (only seen in The Holocrons of Fate, I think, where the space was depicted as a simple redress of the lobby with implied hatch access to the complicated stuff - the hyperdrive is behind this underneath the crew lounge). Access between the two decks is by ladders from the bridge down to the gun position and the lobby to the engineroom.

If anyone's interested, I can see about digging out some screencaps or video clips and linking them for a walkthrough. But the only bit that looks dubious to me is the access corridor for the shuttle dock aft, which is up the ladder in the crew lounge, and uses a redress of the forward corridor that doesn't look like a great fit for the space.

The Essential Guide to Gozantis? :p

Interesting - was that seen on-screen, or just in the comic? I do like those big Mandalorian fighters, though. :D

So, what's the backstory of those things? Were they always intended as a NR type? 2015 sounds like this thing was designed around the time of TFA... [face_thinking]

I'm guessing that the hauler is designed for hyperspace deployment (the thing can get from Mimban to Vandor) and is more sophisticated than it looks. The concept is interesting - a tug that probably has minimal thruster/repulsor performance, but a hyperdrive as well. Not quite sure where the propulsion goes...

- The Imperial Ewok