main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    It's possibly related to the size discrepancy with the Arquitens over the years. Since they were seemingly designed (and shown) to be merely 190 meters long, before it was changed later on, during Rebels. The FFG book may have been working on outdated information, a crew of 100 would be reasonable, if just a bit on the low side, for a 190m ship.

The Acclamator could maybe be explained by the vast majority of its space being taken up by storage and deployment bays.

Chrissonofpear2 and Alpha-Red like this.
  2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Personally I think crew numbers have been very high or too high for most ships in the past always. I get if high numbers reflect passengers or full capacity in case of mass evacuations. But crew? Nope.

The discrepancies could easily be retconned away that the Empire replaced not counted droid personnel with crewmembers. And that carried troops are counted as crew under the Empire while the Republic did not count them as crew but passengers or cargo.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. There may have been a crew size retcon at one point. Starships of the Galaxy: Saga Edition had its crew size as 20,141, not counting the 16000 clone troopers.

Did the first printings of AOTC Incredible Cross Sections have the same 700 crew figure? If so, that would mean Starships of the Galaxy the outlier in that respect, which attempted to retcon the 700 figure with their attempt not sticking.

SheaHublin likes this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    When one source gives a different number than another, is it intentional? And who decides which one gets retconned?

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A good question. I think it used to be Leland Chee that made those kinds of decisions.

6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    It used to be old trumps new for new is in error. Then it became new trumps old overwriting what has been. Now it is nobody cares about numbers anymore unless they serve narrative purpose.

SheaHublin likes this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    AoTC: ICS and the new Complete Vehicles both reference the 700 number.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks for the excellent work, by the way. I know from model dimensions that the ISD 1 and 2 are different in terms of width, so an ISD 2 should be around 890 metres wide, maybe upward of 893 (259 cm vs 144 wide model) so that gives some space to work from. My estimate of 275 metres for tower width was based on the micro machine and the EGTVV picture, assuming a 1606 m ISD 2. I'm not so familiar with the Bandai model, but I assume it's quite closely linked to the original filming miniature, as a mold?
    The ISD 1, meanwhile, will be close to 1040 metres wide, per the original model - but Rogue One's version has kind of superseded that. We can likely conclude the tower is below 300 metres though, but probably at least 261.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the domes are larger on the ISD I, relative to the width of the tower at least.

10. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Can anyone tell me how effective mass drivers or some kind of magnetically accelerated weapon would be, say, as a centerline/spinal mount for something ISD-sized?

I know it's all biggatons anyway, but I'm curious if something like that had ever been tried.

11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    It would be as effective as the author wants it to be ;)

Here's EckhartsLadder's thoughts on railguns:

SnubJockey likes this.
  12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That is something I would have liked to see in the Thrawn Ascendancy books....that the different factions in the Chaos have different offensive and defensive weapons.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The newest issue of the ongoing Star Wars comic gave us a new YT-Series, YT-2600. Not pictured, just mentioned off hand.
    They tried to use its reactor to power part of Echo Base but it wasn't rated for such cold temperatures and failed

The only YT-2600 I can find online is fan made, and the YT series never got that high in Legends.

Long Snoot likes this.
  14. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
  15. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Alphabet Squadron: Shadow Fall has mentioned the B-Wing carrying both proton bombs and laser-guided bombs, in addition to proton torpedos while acting in a bomber role, supporting ground troops. Has anything visual ever been seen as to external munitions or hardpoints on a B-Wing?

16. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

edited for image size. From the old Dark Horse comics

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
  18. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    delete the stuff after the file format if you're going to link/embed from Wookieepedia.

Daneira likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Strange...last time I embedded a few pictures I left on some of the extensions (because I wanted the smaller version of the image) and it worked for a few hours before the images broke.

Speaking of which, is there a way to resize embedded images on this forum?

20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I think it might be some sort of anti-hotlink feature.

21. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    [​IMG]
    So in this case...hardpoints and munitions under the strike foil wings...which means the s-foils can't close to "normal flight" position...which means the B-Wing can't land in it's normal horizontal configuration. Interesting, perhaps a special variant that solves this problem.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Hutt ships taken from us all too soon by the reboot...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I really didn't like them because they looked too much like Jabba's barge.

I don't like that they took what Jabba had and turned it into the aesthetic of the entire race.

Like his Palace became the basis of a lot of other Hutt palaces.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Alpha-Red and Gamiel like this.
  24. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I think it is more a Ubrikkian design asthetic...the sail barge, the skiffs, Jabba's ship the Star Jewel, etc...

Now I am not saying that out of universe that is not how it started...

25. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Chrissonofpear2 and Snafu55 like this.