main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Image does not show...

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  3. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Ah thx, the Miniature Death Stars on a string ship...

Iron_lord and Alpha-Red like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Hutt ships from the War of the Bounty Hunters comic

[​IMG]

5. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    I kinda like the two blocky ships - even if the upper one looks like a ground vehicle. Some of the other ones look alright, but they kinda feel out of place aesthetically compared to what we have previously seen of Hutt ships.
    The shield/sensor bulbs aren't the only difference. The tower that contained the bridge is missing, and the bridge itself appears to have been moved to the bulbous structure at the front of the bridge superstructure. There's also a few details, like antennas, that have been mirrored onto both side of the bridge structure.

[​IMG]

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Did Clone Wars ever called a Venator a Venator? I'm pretty sure they always just used the Jedi Cruiser moniker.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Fire Dog likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Anyone get a good look at the Rhokai fighters chasing the bad batch at the beginning of the last episode?

Seems weird they would go through all the trouble to design and model new ships only to not show them off

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Unfortunately...no. I do wish they used these opportunities to being in stuff from Legends though. For example have the Rhokai using Cloakshapes.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I've been out of it for a little while, but to keep myself sane while I don't have headspace for properly keeping up with replies at TF.N, I went and threw together an illustrated guide to a lesser-known (but IMHO tremendously funky, definitively STAR WARS, and downright very well-designed) ship from the Preuquel Trilogy...

Mostly reposting here so people don't think I've defected or anything like that, and in the hope that some of you might have better visuals or usefully differing opinions...!

- The Imperial Ewok

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, I really like that ship. Sometimes I think George Lucas has lost it with his (IMO) really weird-looking Naboo, Geonosian, and Umbaran ship designs. But then I see this and I think, "Nah he's still got it. Sorta...maybe...sometimes."

11. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    You do realize he didn't personally design those ships right?

12. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I figure he still has to sign off on it before it goes on screen though, right?

Fire Dog likes this.
  13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    What's wrong with the Naboo, Geonosian and Umbaran fighters? Don't you like certain cultures having exotic craft?

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I just feel like they look too exotic, to the point where they don't look like they belong in the same fictional universe. I think with the Mon Calamari cruisers in ROTJ there's a good balance...they've got their own unique aesthetic, but at the end of the day it still looks like a Star Wars ship. I can't say the same for the Naboo, Geonosians and Umbarans.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  15. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Mon Calamari Cruisers exist at a time when the Empire had created conformity, the last of an exotic line more or less. The Great Peace of the Republic allowed a diverse creation of ships and technology.

And what about the Yuuzhan Vong ships? There were even more Exotic to the point of not fitting.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Well this is a galactic civilization that's been around for thousands of years. All these worlds have been in contact with each other, trading goods, etc. Everyone would have access to the same technology, so you'd expect that ships, tools, and weapons would all have some commonality to them, rather than this one planet having some niche technology that they and only they use.

The Yuuzhan Vong, well, they reject machines and come from another galaxy so that's justified of course.

wmu'14 likes this.
  17. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I dislike the idea that everything's gotta be a copy and paste of the OT, its one of the flaws of the Sequels and things like SWTOR, IMO. The Prequel Trilogy instead introduced a set of ships that were unique, and at the same time, looked well as predecessors. People forget, but the OT is meant to be the '70s' of the Star Wars universe. The Prequels were intended to be the 50s.

18. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I think there's an obvious reason to make each society's designs look different - and whereas the OT is all about industrial modernism, the Prequels are portraying a Galaxy in which there are a lot of diverse local designs - and within that diversity, I think we're supposed to see a contrast in more than just looks: some are genuinely high-precision deisgns with ultra-streamlined sleek exteriors being produced in skilled workshops (e.g. the Naboo stuff, simply polished coachwork wrapped round classic Star Wars components, though the rear spike of the N-1 annoys me a little - the Delta-7 also represents this sort of thinking, and is beautiful); elsewhere, this design philosophy sometimes degenerates into what may be a purely visual stylisation (e.g. the three different Utapauan fighters) and some stuff is just distinctly different and immediately identifiable as such, whatever the performance (the Geonosian designs manage this - I rather like the Geonosian capital ship fom the computer games)...

On the question of GL's involvement in designs, this seems appropriate - the Eta-2 was conceptualised by GL, based on the toy version of the Delta-7, and then got a TIE cockpit front added on... :p

On a rather different topic, and at the risk of spamming with reposts from twitter, this is brilliant:

So the designed interior for the Tantive IV was actually only the "side corridor" area - the successor of the original "linear Falcon" set?!

The situation's actually more complex than it seems, as the wider section where Leia hides to ambush the stormtroopers is redressed from the Falcon's forward hold as-filmed in the movie, but if you look at the set-plan of the Falcon hold, you can see that it suddenly looks a lot like it was a hasty redress of a lounge area originally intended for the "linear Falcon", with the roof sloped down and the curved corridor swapped on...

The layout embodied in the on-screen "side corridor" seems to match up approximately with the final version of the Blockade Runner's exterior - that wider "forward hold" section is presumably meant to be the wider wedge section with the turrets, and the polygonal hub where Vader interviews Captain Antilles, and through which Leia's marched to meet with Vader, looks like it ought to be the junction at the back between the hatches and below the main rectenna; but the details don't match up brilliantly - notably, there are three escape hatches each side rather than four, and they're placed in the corridor rather than the wider wedge, while the side hatches of the aft hub aren't at right angles, though those may have been rearranged during production... I don't know how much this reflects retention or reworking of details originally intended for the "linear Falcon", or how much it's just last-minute improvisation, but one thing's clear - this was not intended as a big ship at all, just a corridor with a cockpit, pods and wider lounge, as it always had been - perhaps under 50m from end to end... :eek:

They added the big white corridor in the last week of production, because they realised they needed a bigger filming space... :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  19. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Ohh I had that toy as a kid, got it after Episode 2 released so the detatching parts confused me as it didn't do that in the movie, but I do remember noticing the similarity when Episode 3 came out.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    So Mando Season 2 (I don't know if untagged spoilers are allowed yet)

Any idea how they boarded that Lambda from the Slave One?

Thought it was better to ask here since this is the ship junkie thread

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Slave 1 has an extendable docking tube in its back that can attach to an airlock on the Lambda, which is located somewhere aft and on it sunderside I think WEG said.

Slave 1's docking is seen in TCW too, but some corridor level inaccuracy exists:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  22. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah I knew about the hatch on Slave 1, but I really can't think of anywhere on the shuttle it could connect to. Looking at the cross sections, there's no docking ports or anything labelled, just the ramp for entering and exiting. Could be one of those things we'll just have to ignore for the sake of the story, or they cut into the hull somewhere.

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The Lamda-shuttle has a lower Deck for Tech and Cargo as Deckplans Show Access Panels down to cargospace. I suspect there is a hatch Hidden too Like in Rogue One Cargo Shuttles the Rebels escaped/deployed through on Scarif.

Alternative would be using the escape pod hatch. They are supposed to have at least one escape pod aft somewhere. The detacheable Cockpit does not count here albeit it is cool and another escape pod option.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

Long Snoot and Tuskin38 like this.
  24. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Okay, so with the Battle of Endor, I tend to go with the Legends numbers on ships present: 1 Super Star Destroyer, 2 battlecruisers, 33 Imperial-class Star Destroyers and 3 Tector-class Star Destroyers. I'm currently wanting to figure out a list of Star Destroyers present at Endor for both a canon and a Legends thing but I've run into trouble -- the survivors list in Legends since we know 15 Imperial-class Star Destroyers were lost (at least 3 captured, at least 1 captured and/or scuttled) and 12 of the survivors went on to serve in Thrawn's fleet. That's where the conundrum is.

So we know these were present:
    • Accuser, Imperial I-class, captured by the Alliance
    • Adjudicator, Imperial I-class, captured by the Alliance
    • Avenger, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Chimaera, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Denunciator, Imperial II-class, fate unknown
    • Devastator, Imperial I-class, destroyed by the Alliance
    • Eleemosynary, subclass unknown, captured and/or scuttled by the Alliance
    • Imputator, Imperial II-class, fate unknown
    • Indictor, Imperial II-class, fate unknown
    • Judicator, Imperial I-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Pulsar, subclass unknown, captured by the Alliance
    • Redoubtable, Imperial I-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Relentless, Imperial I-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Retaliator, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Stalker, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Thunderflare, Imperial I-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Tyrant, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Vehement, Imperial II-class, destroyed by the Alliance
    • Virulence, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    • Visage, Imperial II-class, fate unknown
    • Whirlwind, subclass unknown, survived and retreated to Annaj
    We know from Essential Guide to Warfare that Harrsk took three Star Destroyers with him to Deep Core including the Whirlwind while Pryl and Zed retreated to Elrood and this left Pellaeon and Prittick with 12 ISDs in total. Fast forward five years later, and Thrawn's fleet consists of the Chimaera, Death's Head, Inexorable, Stormhawk, Nemesis, Judicator, Relentless, Bellicose, Peremptory and I'm going to assume the Avenger, Retaliator and Tyrant to make up the last numbers. Considering the Inexorable was in Thrawn's hands circa 6 ABY, we could say that it replaced the Virulence in the number due to the loss of that Star Destroyer in New Republic hands while another ship temporarily took the Tyrant's place until it was recaptured. This also means that the Death's Head, Stormhawk, Nemesis, Bellicose and Peremptory were present for the Battle of Endor. The Redoubtable might have been one of Harrsk's two Star Destroyers we claimed but was caught in a rebel ambush and took repairs at Koornacht when it was captured.

This is where it is complicated though. With the presence of four Grand Admirals - Teshik, Makati, Declann and Takel - it means they would've easily brought their Star Destroyers with them. After all, the Eleemosynary was Teshik's ship while we know Makati held the Steadfast, Declann held the Recondite and Takel the Magic Dragon (and I can write that last one with a straight face). Does that mean the the latter three Star Destroyers were also present and since we know Makati and Takel survived and escaped as well, did they take their ships with them to Endor to be present (Declann as well) or were they kept with their main fleets for their assorted actions?

This makes matters complicated Legends wise while Canon wise is also a conundrum due to the lack of ANYTHING on Endor at present, and the Wook doesn't make it easy.

The Canon List itself:
    • Annihilator, subclass unknown (Note: not the Super Star Destroyer), fate unknown
    • Devastator, Imperial I-class, destroyed
    • Eviscerator, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated (either to Annaj or to Vardos)
    • Subjugator, subclass unknown, survived and retreated
    • Vehement, Imperial II-class, destroyed
    • Vigilance, Imperial II-class, survived and retreated to Annaj
    I still think that the Avenger and the Tyrant were present at Endor, owing to their presence at Hoth a year prior but that isn't confirmed. And I chuck in the Accuser, Adjudicator, Chimaera, Judicator, Pulsar, Stalker, Thunderflare, Virulence and Visage because they "appear" visually on screen after all.

@jasonfry @Thrawn McEwok

I leave the complicated matters on how you sorted through the survivors' list for Essential Guide to Warfare.

I've been dealing with the Battle of Endor stuff for years now and tackling Mon Calamari ships present is my own basket of fun (@AdmiralNick22 , got any ideas on that front?).

Chrissonofpear2 and Alpha-Red like this.
  25. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    another Hutt design from the new comics

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.