main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Yeah but it seems like this had such little impact on Jango. His time as a slave is over and done with in 5 and a half panels in the comic. He says it was "years" but according Wookieepedia it was only 2 years. I think it makes the most sense as either a holdover from the prison he stole it from, or in the programming sense to emphasize that the ship is just a tool to him.

Back to "evil Imperial Ship names". I'll give Aaron Allston credit for his justification. Still, some of those names are a bit on the nose. "Executor", "Conqueror" "Brawl", "Iron Fist" and the like are one thing. Powerful, combative names that *could* be considered good things in the context of defeating a dangerous foe. But then you've got "Corrupter", "Oppressor", "Tyrant" (the very thing Palp's enemies accuse him of being) and my personal favorite . . . "Persecutor". Persecution is by definition unjustified ill treatment based on prejudice. There's no possible way to put a positive spin on that name. And that one's from the New Canon, it's in Rogue One!

Sure maybe Palps was playing mind games with his officers by using those names. But at a certain point you might as well abandon all subtlety, start naming your ships "Civilian Killer", "Evil Murderer", "Kitten Eater", or "Orphan Stomper".

Nom von Anor, Vthuil and Alpha-Red like this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I almost listed it as Brawl/Iron Fist. But Iron Fist fits the theme better-tyranny vs. simple violence.

blackmyron likes this.
  3. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Executor isn't a nasty word!

Actually a lot of them seem to be taken from royal navy ship names, and not all of them that ominious, such as "Intrepid" or "Courageous" or "Protector"

Perhaps Palps is selective on which imperials he needs to corrupt, particularly the ones that would overwise have more noble ideals

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] Pat Mills would approve!

JediBatman likes this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Honestly, after seeing a major political campaign directly compare itself to the Death Star and other famous villains, it doesn't seem too outlandish anymore for them to go with over the top evil names, and probably insist they are just badass names and thinking they sound evil makes you weak and/or traitorous.

In other news, looks like we are getting a classic Z-95 in "The Village Bride" from Star Wars Visions:
    [​IMG]

Slater, Gamiel, Yoda_Jammies and 8 others like this.
  6. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I can't post an image since Disney+ has blocked any possible system I tried to use to take a screenshot, but Bad Batch has introduced a new variant of the Nu-class shuttle. The main section is much longer and the wings are placed further back, making it look more like a Sentinel than a Lambda.

Snafu55 likes this.
  7. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Odd I've been able to take screenshots of disneyplus on my macbook?

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I use the browser plugin 'FireShot'

Long Snoot likes this.
  9. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Yep this seems to work just fine:
    [​IMG]

Snafu55, Iron_lord and Tuskin38 like this.
  10. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I was reading a Superman comic, and uh lmao, Nebulon-B engine sections. And later are there are modified Lucrehulks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    SheaHublin, JediBatman and Alpha-Red like this.
  12. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    It's upside down
    [​IMG]

It's pretty blatant. I think it's partially based off a fan model as well, the missing panels are identical to one I saw on google images (I can't find any pictures of an official model with the same missing panels)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The local giant monstrosity mall (American Dream aka Xanadu) has a scifi themed mini golf course that has, I'm almost certain, that exact image on the walls. I remember noticing the Lucrehulks among what were otherwise generic spaceships I couldn't attribute to any of the popular franchises.

SheaHublin likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So is this just the familiar story of stuff being directly traced, or is someone going out of their way to put Star Wars ships into DC comics?

15. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    No clue. I can't find anything about it on google.

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I wonder if the Nu shuttle that got stolen in the Bad Batch is the same one the Ryloth Resistance uses later in Rebels

17. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    I think this might be the implication in the episode (so it could be retconned), although in Rebels it's a "classic" Nu shuttle (shorter body, no dorsal fin).

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    It looks like they are Rho-class transport shuttles, which have apparently been in the TCW before. So yeah, pretty much the Republic version of the Sentinel. It does look like they moved the wings further back for TBB version.

19. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I think this fits here

Fire Dog likes this.
  20. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Over in another thread, the very obscure German mini books that have a lot of unique information from a far into the future time in-Universe have been attracting some interest. I recently obtained a few copies, and among other things the "Das Imperium" book contains a list of known ISD and SSD class vessels! While their back in the day EU canonicity status remains ambiguous, they were still overlooked when the various late EU Guides and reference materials were put together, and were thus left in a limbo of official uncertainty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I am translating them and started with the Empire. If you need anything, ask. It has some "new" ship names in addition to the EU ones I thought.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

SheaHublin likes this.
  22. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    I recall learning about the existence of these volumes many, many years ago but never saw anything on them until recently, and could only find three of them for sale. Do you also have the 4th volume, the Jedi one? Are any others known or thought to have been made? Were these officially licensed? I'm also translating a few of the pages, but only by typing it into google translate. If nothing else, it's better that EU buffs enjoy these late instead of never.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  23. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Only these 4 were made for Star Wars. Many others though for other fandoms like Indiana Jones, Young Indy Chronicles, Pherry Rodan, Star Trek, Xena etc.

Officially licensed, well yes with logo and all credit to LFL by official german licensed publisher. But written by one head of the back then official german fanclub and magazine. But if LFL ever checked any Script, no idea but I doubt it. Like many likewise foreign language products they barely checked if at all but allowed.

And yes I own all 4.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

SheaHublin likes this.
  24. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    Excellent info! I could probably track down the missing 4th volume but I'll wait for your translation. Thank you for making these more accessible to us. As for the canonicity status of these, well, they're set far enough into the future in-Universe that there isn't anything necessarily contradictory about them (from what little I've read so far), and in the real world they would seem to have slipped into the fringes of the EU and have some degree of being official. This sort of thing would never happen today, but it really isn't a huge surprise that it happened in the 90s.

As it relates to the SSDs, there could be a way to integrate it into the continuity. Perhaps some of those vessels were indeed later (in-Universe) discovered to have been constructed.

ColeFardreamer and Sinrebirth like this.
  25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    In terms of integrating the SSDs, there are plenty in Legends that are still unnamed. Palpatine launched four during Operation Shadow Hand, of which only the Whelm is named, at a time when most of the named ones had been destroyed. The Rogue Squadron games featured one under construction at Fondor, where it was destroyed. And one of the Battlefront games features an unnamed SSD under the command of the post-Endor warlord, X1. So there's plenty of space to add them into "canon" without inventing new ships.