main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I definitely think you need a mix of fighters...I am just wondering what standard they use for defining how many fighters a ship can carry.

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    That is a good question indeed!

And, does the standard shift over time? High Republic and KOTOR times had way larger starfighters as standard and the Empire had compact Ties. I think it depends on who compiles the stats and for which faction as well as when the ship in question is first released and measured according to these pre-release stat standard sizes!

Imperial Ships may use standard Ties as baseline. Rebel manufactured craft may use X-Wings. But Earlier older craft like plenty of SW ships may use Republican stats and thus standards like Z-95s which would be X-Wing-ish in size. Did the Empire re-stat older ships to Tie standard? Or are numbers off now and ships can carry more than in stats due to that?

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I dunno, I think in this case simply being able to carry more fighters would outweigh the benefits of a mixed force. And the A-wing is just so much more nice and compact than the X-wing, TIE fighter...anything really, unless the Eta-2 or V-wing are still being flown somewhere. Or we can just go back to TARDIS hangars :p

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Over the debris field of Byss. [face_love]

Tuskin38 and ColeFardreamer like this.
  5. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Not that it really matters in the grand scheme but the Technical Journal shows 4 decks as well...short top and bottom decks that run about 1/2 the length of the ship and the 2 middle decks that run from just aft of the hammerhead to the engine section.

6. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    Just got The Art of Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Season Two) this last week, and after having a quick look through it I noticed a few interesting things.
    • There's art of the show's Gozanti carrying Tie Fighters like it does in Rebels.
    • The dimensions of the troop transport are listed, they are: length 14m; width 8.2; height 3.9.
    • The Gauntlet fighter in the show is smaller than its previous appearances; it is slightly shorter than a YT-1300 freighter (maybe 30m long).
    • Lots of art of the Gideon's cruiser, including parts we didn't see - even one where the Razor Crest has crashed into the bridge.
    • There is some art showing how Slave Ones interior looks when it's landed.
    Back to the Corellian Corvette. After looking at the WEG deckplan I ended up on a bit of a modelling tangent and created a simple exterior model based on them, to check how much space is inside the forward cargo hold. This then led to me blocking out a CR90 (because the battlefront model had some inaccurate proportions) and a CR70 (was curious how it compared to the CR90).
    [​IMG]
    The WEG CR90 is a beast compared to the other Corvettes, it's wider and taller, the hammerhead is a good deal larger than the CR90, and its engine section is massive ( especially when compared to the other ships).
    The forward cargo hold can possibly fit the complement of fighters listed in the Wraith Squadron book, but because it's a tapered cylinder the amount of space reduces quite a bit as you move to the sides of the hold.

The good thing about building the CR90 and CR70 is I now have a better idea of how much space is inside them.
    The CR70 has at least 3 decks. This can be seen by looking at the windows on the ship. Windows can be seen on the top and bottom of the ship, giving two decks, plus there is a middle deck where the bridge is located. It could potentially fit 4 decks, but only if a deck or two are shorter; or there is a smaller gap between decks.

The CR90 has much more variance in height compared to the CR70 and as such the number of decks could vary depending on which section they are in.
    Here's few observations on the CR90's interior, using a 150m length and deck height of 3.2m (2.75m corridor height plus a 0.45m gap between decks):
    • The four decks mention previously in this thread works best for the tube section (short top and bottom, full size middle decks), as the two middle decks can use almost the full width of the tube - with three decks the top and bottom can be full height but lose a bit of space because of the tubes curve.
    • The main section can easily fit 5 decks (middle deck with 2 upper and lower deck), but I feel the escape pod section works better with 2 middle decks as it allows a deck for the top and bottom pods.
    • The neck can comfortably fit 2 middle decks and could possibly fit an addition upper deck as well, for a total of 3 decks.
    • The hammerhead can fit 4 full decks, which fits nicely with the bridge being above the centre line of the ship. The only thing to note is the top and bottom decks will lose a bit of space because of the hammerheads shape.
    Interestingly enough a 150m CR90 isn't really much bigger than the 125m CR70. The main difference in size being a longer and slightly taller body, with a thicker middle tube; while the CR70 has a wider hammerhead and slightly larger engines. I will note that the CR90 likely has a much larger reactor, as the large squarish structure at the rear is supposed to be its reactor, and there is no comparable space available in the CR70.

7. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Please don't spam self-shill. Sinre Edit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2022
  8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That's this one?

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Grevious_Coward like this.
  9. Grevious_Coward

May 30, 2020
    Yeah it's that transport.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    May I interrupt your fleetflirting for the fact that Galactic Starcruiser Hotel has a map in cabins that features amongst others Anaxes in the Core Worlds. Long live Anaxes, Defender of the Core!

11. Octuple_Barbette

Octuple_Barbette Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2022
    This is a fascinating thread, and it seems like a good place to bring this topic up; How many guns can we visibly see on imperial star destroyers? I totally understand the original trilogy when they were physical models etc, but it always bothers me because even in rogue one we don't see it fully armed with all its canonical guns. what gives? are the canon stats wrong or is the model just innacurate? it always bugs me.

Also the same thing with the first order star destroyer, which i believe is listed as having 1,500 guns which is insane, and theres no way we can count that many on the model. anyways i'd love to hear anyone's thoughts!

12. SnubJockey

Jan 23, 2009
    Off the model itself, I'd say eight turrets visible, with four tubes each. I'm not personally clear on what makes what a "Battery" and not a turret, but visually, that's what we can see vs what supplements say. (Note that we can't see any ion cannons there) [​IMG]

Honestly I think people on threads like this are the ones who care the most about the rivet stuff "making sense."

Star Wars is Science Fantasy, and the productions have never really gotten their hands on the equivalents of Mike and Denise Okuda as designers to do technically consistent design the way Trek has. The ICS stuff is neat, but then you have all these people doing Calcs, and it gets really rivet county and kind of insufferable if you're arguing ICS and someone else is dusting off a WEG.

Ultimately I think it's whatever you want personally in whatever you write. If you want WWII Ship classes and like, the ISD and its equivalents are, say, a fast battleship with some strike craft capability to the VSD's pre-dreadnoughts-relegated to heavy cruisers? Go for it!

Octuple_Barbette likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The variant that tie-in materials call the ISD-I (Rogue One, 1st movie) has 8 big two-barrelled turrets, (4 on each side) two of which, the rearmost, are a very different shape from the rest).

[​IMG]

(some of the gun barrels are broken off, but when they were there, they were two-barrelled)

The variant that tie-in materials call the ISD-II (TESB, ROTJ, possibly Star Wars Rebels) has 8 big eight-barrelled turrets (4 on each side) all the same shape.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    This is nerdy and pedantic, even for me, but do we know what the fleet elements were that recaptured Coruscant for the Empire post-Emperor’s Resurrection and pre-Dark Empire? The comics only show a couple ISDs but they can’t be just that.

JABoomer likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe that TEGTW is your friend here.

Lots of SSDs disappeared a bit before the Thrawn campaign - and led Coruscant-capturing armadas. The Whelm, an Executor-class, (along with 3 others, some Mandator IIIs, and some Vengeance-class ships) were the lead ships in three big fleets which were sent from Byss to Coruscant to capture it.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Pre–Shadow_Hand_campaign

Advance from the Deep Core

With Gial Ackbar and the New Republic Defense Fleet far out in the Outer Rim Territories pursuing Krennel, the Core Worlds were left lightly defended, and Palpatine chose this moment to strike. Three enormous Imperial task forces advanced out of the Deep Core, anchored around four Executor-class dreadnoughts (including the missing Whelm), five Mandator III-class dreadnoughts, and three Vengeance-class dreadnoughts. The New Republic Navy, so long optimised for smaller cruiser and carrier-launched snubfighter action, proved to have no counter to the massive Star Dreadnoughts.[3]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Just found this beauty online:[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

17. SnubJockey

Jan 23, 2009
    What happens when the holodeck breaks down? Does Mandalore try to take the ship?

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. Octuple_Barbette

Mar 9, 2022
    Yeah this is cool! but tbh i kinda already knew that lol. Im more interested in rogue one gun counts because i know for sure there are more but still not nearly enough to be canonical.

19. Grevious_Coward

May 30, 2020
    I've observed the following guns on the Rogue One ISD:
    • 6 heavy turbolasers (there's something that looks like a small triple turret on top of them as well)
    • 2 heavy ion cannons
    • 2 heavy quad turbolasers in the trench - one on each side (the bottom and top half appear to rotate independently)
    • 3 triple axial turbolaser on top
    • 4 turbolasers on the bottom (two are triple turbolasers, and the others might be too)
    There might be more, but I need to go over the space battle again.

As for the Resurgent I've observed the following guns on the movie model:
    • 8 turrets in the trench (possible all at are triple turrets, but two I'm unsure about).
    • 16 heavy turret (8 on each side of the superstructure). The Steadfast appears to be missing 4 of these (2 on each side).
    • possible 4 small triple turrets on the bridge structure
    • 4 double turrets on the forward superstructure
    This doesn't include the turrets seen in certain scenes; like Poe and Finns escape in TFA (couple triple turbolasers and two missile launchers), or the small turrets seen on the Steadfast in TROS (there possibly are at least 9 of these).

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, so the Rogue One ISD isn't the same as the regular ISD1 model? And is it an actual physical model, or CGI?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's CGI. The actual model from ANH is only 3 feet long - the CGI allows for much more detail - including extra turrets. They did put a lot of effort into keeping the details more "ISD-I-ish" than "ISD-II-ish" - the bridge domes, the engines, the tractor targeting array between the domes, the shape of the turrets.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Decided to do a clean-up of the Matalok page on Wookieepedia tonight. God that was a disaster and I'm still not satisfied with it, mostly the BTS and the Appearances list. Doesn't help that the New Jedi Order Sourcebook data doesn't match really anything to do with the novels and you are just guessing which is which.

So to run down the Yuuzhan Vong fleet, we have:
    • The Koros-strohna worldship.
    • The Kor Chokk grand cruiser.
    • The Miid Ro'ik warship analog.
    • The Matalok cruiser analog.
    • The A-vek Iiluunu carrier analog.
    • The Suuv Ban D'Krid cruiser analog.
    • The Uro-ik V'alh battleship analog.
    • The I'Friil Ma-Nat corvette analog.
    • The Uumufalh gunship analog.
    • The Vua'spar interdictor analog.
    • The Ro'ik Chuun M'arh frigate analog.
    • The Sh'rip Sh'pa seedship.
    • The Clustership.
    • The Yorik-strohna spyship.
    • The Slaveship.
    • The Advanced Scout Ship.
    • The Yorik-et starfighter analog, a.k.a. coralskipper.
    • The Yorik-vec assault cruiser.
    • The Yorik-akaga picket analog.
    • The Yorik-trema troop transport.
    • The Yorik-ta escape pod.
    According to the NJO Sourcebook:
    • Kor Chokk is 8,180 meters in length.
    • Uro-ik V'alh is 2,240 meters in length.
    • Miid Ro'ik is 1,620 meters in length.
    • Vua'spar is 908 meters in length.
    • Sh'rip Sh'pa is 810 meters in length.
    • A-vek Iiluunu is 800 meters in length.
    • Suuv Ban D'Krid is 720 meters in length.
    • Uumufalh is 615 meters in length.
    • Ro'ik Chuun M'arh is 440 meters in length.
    • I'Friil Ma-Nat is 315 meters in length.
    • Yorik-strohna is 228 meters in length.
    • Yorik-vec is 30 meters in length.
    The discrepancy largely lies in the frigate, corvette and gunship analogs. The frigate analogs were either 150 meters (Ksstarr / Trickster) or 200 meters (Gift of Anguish, the one that destroyed the refugee ship Nebula Chaser). The corvette analogs were around 122 meters (Exquisite Death). The gunship analogs were around 120 meters (the ones at Selvaris).

In reality, did we ever get official designations for any ships in NJO? It's been a while since I've done more than skim through each book whenever the fancy takes me.

All I've seen are destroyer analogs, cruiser analogs, light cruiser analogs, frigate analogs, warship analogs, carrier analogs, corvette analogs and gunship analogs being used with only the matalok ever being identified as a cruiser.

This is why I give pause to most Sourcebooks being canon material most times, exceptions to perhaps the early Bantam era ones around Bakura, Thrawn, Dark Empire and Jedi Academy of course.

JABoomer likes this.
  23. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    They also went out and bought the model kits used for the original ISD greebles and 3D scanned them to use on the CG model.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  24. Grevious_Coward

May 30, 2020
    I'm hoping they'll give the ISD-II the Rogue One treatment and create a authentic looking CGI model of it. While they're at it, maybe they can make this turret actually useful;).
    [​IMG]

25. Octuple_Barbette

Mar 9, 2022
    wow thank for this! Im so curious; do you think Disney KNOWS that there are supposed to be more guns but they just couldn't model them all or didn't care, or do you think they just disregarded canon because it made the ships too powerful?

Because for example, the resurgent didn't get any stats until after the movie came out right? so you'd think they would at least loosely base the stats in reference material on what we can see in the movies?

idk maybe its because of my OCD but i need answers XD