main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    LucasFilm does all this not Disney.

2. Grivenger

Grivenger Jedi Knight

Sep 18, 2015
    In the near future, I'm running an FFG Star Wars campaign (or a trilogy of adventures), and I'm looking at starships to figure out what kind of options I could present them. Right now, I'm partial to AG-37's freighter. Unfortunately, there's little information on it. Are there similar ships in design that I could check out to find out the manufacturer and possible deck plans?

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Okay, so I'm going through the NJO books to look through Yuuzhan Vong capital ships and I have found that the Wikia is inaccurate and without the Sourcebook, I can't verify the mess for battle pages. It's a nightmare.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm happy to help out if you have any questions? I spent a lot of time on this a few years back. [face_laugh]

5. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    It's mostly that the books don't go into a lot of details on which ship from the Sourcebook is which to match to the analog types used in the novels. And the battle pages are largely assumptions.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hrm, so Crimson Empire was written before Isard's Revenge...is this where Lusankya first shows up as a New Republic ship? And then Stackpole comes along later to fill in the dots?

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We do have a lot of 'analog' information and the ability to deduce the size of certain deployments thanks to the rough order of battle implied by Star by Star and confirmed by The Essential Guide to Warfare.

@Alpha-Red - Bacta War precedes Crimson Empire, I guess? Not sure if Black Fleet Crisis does, which mentioned a captured SSD.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  8. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Well at the end of Bacta War, Lusankya is a damaged wreck, and there's no mention that the New Republic planned on repairing and recommissioning her...hence Wedge's surprise in Isard's Revenge when he finds out they've done just that. But if Crimson Empire was published first, then that means this plot point didn't originate with Michael Stackpole.

Don't remember much of the details in Black Fleet Crisis, but on the Lusankya's page on Wookieepedia under "Appearances", it's not listed as having appeared or been mentioned there.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I do wonder whether authors can seed the future for other authors to pick up.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Black Fleet Crisis said that Mon Mothma had "given orders to scrap the sole captured SSD" in Shield of Lies:

From the beginning, the New Republic had opted to build a larger number of smaller vessels---Fleet carriers, Republic-class Star Destroyers, battle cruisers---rather than adopt the Imperial design philosophy. Mon Mothma had given orders to scrap rather than repair or make a museum piece of the sole SSD captured from the Empire. Consequently, the eight-kilometre-long behemoth circling N'zoth had anything in the New Republic Fleet badly outgunned.

Shield of Lies was published in August 1996. The Lusanyka appeared in Crimson Empire comics in April 1998. Isard's Revenge was published in April 1999.

Out-of-universe, I'd speculate that the Crimson Empire author hadn't read Black Fleet Crisis. In-universe, I'd go with "the scrapping order was cancelled, but some people never found out about that cancellation".

Nom von Anor and Alpha-Red like this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I wonder if we could say the New Republic claimed to have scrapped the Lusankya, after making it into a medical ship.

Iron_lord and Alpha-Red like this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Uh-oh. Eight kilometers [face_thinking]

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the context of TEGTW and its heavy participation in the Orinda campaign, it wouldn't have remained a medical ship very long.

I'd suggest that in between Isard's Revenge and Dark Empire, the rumour spread that it had been scrapped (perhaps Mon Mothma proposed scrapping it) but after the huge SSD-led fleets in Dark Empire wreaked havoc, the proposal was put on hold. I figure that by Crimson Empire, it had been fully returned to active duty.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I prefer 8,000 meter long Super Star Destroyers actually. Means there's not much of a gap trying to figure out the classes for Pride of Tarlandia and Ilthmar's Fist at Endor.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe the Xyston-class is a modification of a pre-existing "oversized ISD-like class" - which was in service as early as the Battle of Endor?

Or, in the Legendsverse, that oversized ISD-like class exists but Palpatine never did the "conversion to Xyston-class" the way he did in the newcanon?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Isn't the Allegiance-class smaller than the Xyston-class?

Because of the net shift to Allegiance-class by the Dark Empire, I just take it that the Pride, Ilthmar, and the Kuati battlecruisers are Allegiance-class. It's just simpler. Lazier too perhaps.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Main problem with an Allegiance class for the Communications Ship Pride of Tarlandia, is that the Communications Ship had hangars to fly into, where the reactors can be hit. The Allegiance only has a tiny shuttlebay.

Lando, Wedge, Blue Leader, and Green Wing went in to take out one of the larger Destroyers—the Empire's main communications ship. It had already been disabled by direct cannonade from the Rebel cruiser it had subsequently destroyed; but its damages were reparable—so the Rebels had to strike while it was still licking its wounds.

Green Wing was hit. "I'm losing power!"
    "Get clear, you're going to blow!"
    Green Wing took it down like riding a rocket, into the Destroyer's front batteries. Tremendous explosions rumbled the port bow.
    "Thanks," Blue Leader said quietly to the conflagration.
    "That opens it up for us!" yelled Wedge. "Cut over. The power reactors are just inside that cargo bay."
    "Follow me!" Lando called, pulling the Falcon into a sharp bank that caught the horrified reactor personnel by surprise. Wedge and Blue Leader followed suit. They all did their worst.
    "Direct hit!" Lando shouted.
    "There she goes!"
    "Pull up, pull up!"
    They pulled up hard and fast, as the Destroyer was enveloped in a series of ever-increasing explosions, until it looked finally just like one more small star. Blue Leader was caught by the shock wave, and thrown horribly against the side of a smaller Imperial ship, which also exploded. Lando and Wedge escaped.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Praetor 1 or 2 class, I guess, seems likelier. Although I have seen images of the Allegiance that imply it may have the secondary hangar bay equivalent to an ISD, after all. Maybe if one includes the Avenger II, from Dark Empire 2, also - although that was drawn like a regular ISD, a lot of the time, though sized larger.

On another note, does anyone have a list of the power and shield output of the Fractalsponge ships larger than ISDs? Rated in yottajoules, preferably. For instance, an ISD 1 rates at 7.73 yottajoules, an ISD 2 at 9.726, and Executor supposedly at 773. Although the shield I believe was only 380 YJ?
    It's easier to interpret than all the notation/order of magnitude figures, anyway.
    Then some estimates of newer ships, including in SBD figures, could maybe be made (for instance, Resurgence class is three times better shielded than an ISD 2?)

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Praetor II has no hangar bay at all as far as I'm aware. The Praetor I has never been depicted in art. The main reason I like the "oversized ISD" idea is that it allows the ship to have actually appeared onscreen with nobody noticing, since when the fleet's seen from a distance, some ISDs could be oversized without sticking out from the rest.

That, and there's the "Falcon rounding the corner of a multi-bridged ISD tower" shot - which makes the Falcon look somewhat smaller, relative to that tower, than it does in TESB.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I guess it depends how 'big' the shuttle bay is for the ASSD, if the Falcon can swap in... and see the reactor.

Which is itself random.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The door is pretty small, and pretty far forward of the dome:

[​IMG]

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Someone tell me how big it is. [face_laugh]

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    About 53m long and about 48m wide, plus or minus a few m each way.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    And the Falcon is 25m wide, I believe? So it could be fine.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. But it's hard to imagine the Falcon flying at full speed in and out of somewhere that small, and hard to imagine that there's a reactor in there, that far away from the main one, capable of causing a chain reaction that will blow the whole thing up.

Imperial design can be bad - but that bad?

Sinrebirth likes this.