main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    If I am not mis-reading this then they are civilian craft adapted to combat in nu-canon.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/T-47_airspeeder

In Legends they were used to haul cargo with the pilot facing forward and the cargo manager facing towards the rear to keep an eye on the load.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Interestingly, the ones in Kenobi are lacking the tow cables if I remember correctly, despite being garbage transports. Maybe they just put the trash in the back seat?

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Or they had low power tractor beams and the Rebels went cheap replacing them with tow cables due to maintenance costs and energy output going to weapons instead of tractor beam?

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Obi-Wan Kenobi finale spoilers:
    As somebody who was disappointed that the previous episode only gave us one brief glimpse of the Devastator's underside - this one made up for it. It feels weird calling a flying fascist triangle "pretty", but there were some good ISD beauty shots tonight, probably the best since Rogue One.

OTOH Obi-Wan's shuttlepod thing - which I think was a new design? - was super boring looking, IMO, but you can't have it all.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Obi-Wan:
    Overall very nice episode, but it's a bit funny that they didn't even try to deploy a single fighter to chase the freighter.

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Not every ship needs to be epic or iconic. A lot of them are just going to be functional. I would say it seems a little big to have come out of the Path's larger ship though.

7. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Ships from the Obi Wan series....
    Scythe (the Inquisitor shuttle)
    the passenger ship Obi Wan left Tattooine on
    the automated freighter
    the light shuttle Tala had
    the Path freighters
    the 'escape ship' in the last episode

Did I miss any??

Vialco likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    The kidnappers' ship

Possibly the Pegasus Ranger which was designed earlier but actually appeared here for the first time. Course, if you do that one there are also the other ships Leia was skywatching, and trying to count star wars background ship blobs is the path to madness...

Chris0013 likes this.
  9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Forgot that one...
    And it looks like a Lancer-class patrol ship in the background when Obi Wan brings Lola back to Leia

But I am thinking more along the lines of new ships.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, yeah, it's not like there's really much you can do with designing a "one room and engines" sort of shuttle like that anyway.

Chris0013 likes this.
  11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    You look at that one, you look at the shuttle Tala had or the ones that showed up in Resistance. You can do some nice shapes to differentiate them...but not every ship is going to be the Falcon, or Slave 1, or the Lambda class shuttle, or the Naboo Royal ships. And honestly...I like the 'family minivans' as much as some of the more iconic ships. The Razor Crest was basically a box with engines and it was pretty cool in its own way.

seeker_two and MercenaryAce like this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Speculate wildly: whats the point of the protruding part at the front of the Resurgent class?

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    So...been kicking this around in the back of my brain...does Riot Mar's ship have space for a small cabin in it? Nothing really luxurious but like a refresher and a bunk or 2?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Sean_Connery and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I always figured some kind of sensor thing.

Sean_Connery likes this.
  15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Given Luke's X-Wing had a compartment with emergency supplies, I wouldn't be surprised if he at least had that.

And maybe some passenger capacity or it would be really hard to transport back bounties to claim them.

seeker_two and Chris0013 like this.
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Unless he prefers to bring them in "cold." Might be room in the back for a couple carbonite slabs?

Chris0013 and MercenaryAce like this.
  17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Even that would take up some space. Like, even if he was just bringing in heads I don't think he would want to put them on his lap. And he did want Mando to hand over the child so presumably he had a place to put the child....

Though yeah, as a fighter focused bounty hunter I could see him going for "dead" bounties quite a bit and confirming he did the deed with his guncam.
    Wait, do star wars fights have guncams?

Chris0013 likes this.
  18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    For carbonite he would need a full set up like Din had in the Razor Crest...that would take up space. And I am not talking the sort of space that the Crest had...but something much more compact....but with a bunk or 2, refresher, food/water storage (is the autochef still a thing ? https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Autochef ) and maybe a large gear storage area converted to hold prisoners (alive or dead).

Think about a private cabin on a train. Turns from small sitting room to bunk room.

Make it more than just a fighter like an X-Wing...but a long range patrol ship that can be out in space for several days or weeks.

You see...this is why we need more cross section books. Yes...that is the hill I have chosen to die on.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  19. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Or an new Essential Guide to Vehicles. I think it's most sad that it doesn't even have a name beyond "Bounty Hunter Fighter" yet. In the past, Star Wars Databank entries on the website would sometime at least give these things a class name. I'm all for waiting till projects are more complete to avoid multiple editions but we could be looking at another few years of Mando, not to mention unending (hopefully) other live action series. Maybe it will make it's way into the X-wing tabletop game. Not strictly canon, but they're usually good about giving us a little more info on these sheets.

As far as the cargo space on this, looks pretty narrow at the back. I have uncomfortable visions of the pilot and maybe one or two prey in coffin like sleeping capsules back there, nevermind the washroom equivalent (unless the model was originally intended for Ugnaught or maybe podracer species sized pilots - hmm, that would actually be a neat wrinkle in ship design - I mean there must be billions of Dug or Veknoid out there looking for a space ride)

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Every ship deserves a make/model identifier. And if they can tie it to something from the past so much he better. For example the shuttle Tala has that they take to the Inquisitor HQ could take the old Sienar Tribune class as its name. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tribune-class_shuttle

gat-65b and MercenaryAce like this.
  21. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    There was a request for pictures of a certain ship from the first Kenobi episode
    the kidnappers ship
    So here are some (to much motion blur to get any really good screencaps).
    [​IMG]
    It's appears to have a cylindrical body embedded into a delta wing, with a quad laser turret in the rear, and what looks like two large forward guns (or they could be antennas).

I also noticed something neat about the small shuttlecraft from the last episode
    The shuttlecraft has retractable engines, which I think makes it look nicer when it's flying (kinda makes me think of a puddlejumper from Stargate).
    [​IMG]

space wise it might have enough room, the problem is it doesn't look tall enough to have a cabin. From what I can see of the pilot in the cockpit, the ship is only tall enough to fit someone sitting, but it could have some sort of seating, or coffin like space, in the back to store bounties - I will note that after looking at the fight scene, it appears to be taller than I think, so I might be wrong:oops:, but would need some good side pictures to tell for sure.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    The Lancer Class on Alderaan when Obi Wan shows up at the end.
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    With Imperial transport appearing in Obi-Wan Kenobi 18 years before The Mandalorian, I will not be surprised if Outland TIE fighter will be revealed to be used way before the battle of Endor. Hope that future seasons of the latter series (or Ahsoka) will feature another Imperial remnant(s) with truly unique post-Endor ships, something like Zsinj's TIE Raptor.

24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Often enough its cheaper to just reuse assets. The Outland TIE is just the R1 TIE asset with folding wings.

25. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Is there any indication during the production of The Empire Strikes Back whether they intended the dreadnought Executor to be pronounced ex·ec·u·tor (a person who produces something or puts something into effect) or ex·e·cu·tor (ala executioner: he who puts others to death)?

I know ex·e·cu·tor is not a word, but I wonder if that's what they intended, given the names of the other Death Squadron Star Destroyers, and people's language skills (I called it the ex·e·cu·tor for 25 years without thinking about it).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022