main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    As far as I can tell, we've not been given a canon production timeline for the X-Wing yet.
    Yeah the earliest use we saw them was Rebels 1BBY, but did the show say that was their first use?
    Wookieepedia doesn't have any dates listed for X-Wing production in their articles.

Maybe the Partisans stole a prototype idk.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  2. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Ah, thanks for the info - yes, most of that was very new to me. I see Abel G. Pena strikes again, partly involved there.
    My assessment of Blue and Green squadron dated back years, and was based on names I collected and what seemed to make sense at the time. I didn't have the Fact Files quote, for one, and we didn't see any other X-Wings with Simms in Rebel Assault, so I assumed they were mostly accounted for. Marskan could have flown an X-Wing, all the same, although I think the strategy guide somewhat implied he survived the battle? Either way, he could have flown either type of craft. My sense at the time was that there also had to be more Y-Wings somewhere, but that was hard to reconcile with other hints to that point. Still, if all Gold squadron Y-Wings bar Farlander had been shot down, and two more survive in the Rebel Assault cutscenes, my instinct at the time was that those too, had to be with Green group, likely.
    Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time a secondary source goes somewhat against the spirit of an earlier, or more prominent one. Understandable that Wedge should keep some prestige from this, however.

3. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Farlander notes that Marskan still hates him, so he presumably survived.

The eight Y-wing figure can work with six casualties in Gold Squadron, and Farlander and Doyle Skims from Green Squadron as the two survivors, but that's only if you have the Rebel Assault survivors group overlap with the film's.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not gonna lie, seeing folks discuss/debate/argue topics we've been debating in this thread and its predecessor for nearly two decades make me VERY happy. Nostalgic, one might even say.

Fleet Junkies, HO!

--Adm. Nick

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Nice to see some designs that are not just a flying rectangle.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  6. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Shadows of the Sith: (spoiler just in case one doesn't want to know about ship appearances, nothing plot wise)
    So a couple of notes on this one.
    1) Features a TIE defender which I was very happy to see. Even at 17 years post Endor, still described as a fast ship. Also confirms that they never did enter wide production (appears here as the ship of a Dark Side cultist).
    2) Lady Luck is Lando's ship, just like in Legends. Described just like the old space yacht as well. I am a big fan of not changing things just for the heck of it so thought retaining this as his personal vessel was a nice touch
    3) Another luxury yacht is featured prominently which from its description sounds like a gold plated version of Padme's episode 2 ship (the J-type ship from the opening). Guess there are different types of ways of rendering a flying wing but it sure sounds like the author was channeling this ship except gold from his description (though only 1 wing per engine). Not explicitly called out as a Nubian design though.
    4)Improbably, an appearance from the Star Herald from Star Was Adventures (and from Adventures in Wild Space though I never read those)
    In general the author does a better than average job of trying to describe ships which has noticibly been absent from recent novels and was appreciated. (get the real feeling that most authors of canon don't care what the ships looks like - ie. they don't really picture a ship when writing. I'm not going to get sidetracked but that's always a little bit frusrating as I think a ship appearance is just as iconic for Star Wars as a costume and writing should be just as descriptive) Nothing super detailed but I at least feel he has a vision of the ship in his head when writing.

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Found this on Scout's twitter - the other ship docked in the background gets weirder the more I look at it. I love it.

And man, I always underestimate how big guantlet types are. I can't believe they were originally called fighters

seeker_two and Snafu55 like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    They really are massive... I assumed that they had smaller fighter variants of the same design.

Snafu55 likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The fighter version, seen in Rebels, is called the Fang.

[​IMG]

The Gauntlet also came in two versions - one with the guns on the two bows prongs, and one with the guns between the two bow prongs. The former version only appeared early in TCW and then stopped, with the latter version effectively replacing it.

seeker_two, Snafu55 and Vialco like this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oooooh.

Mandalorian fighter continuity is hardly my thing.

Now, if you want to talk about the Maelstrom-class, or the five Subjugator-class warships, I can do that.

Vialco likes this.
  11. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Hello old friends! I'm GMing a SW RPG (Saga Edition!), but am a bit rusty on transports. Any chance y'all have a suggestion for the mini-van of shuttles? Something simple with little bells or whistles that could be pretty common across the galaxy. Anything from recent tv shows would be a plus.

I'll eventually make a deckplan, and happy to share with y'all.

12. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
  13. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    A VCX. Although that's a little high end. Or one of the Ghtrocs.

Mazzic likes this.
  14. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    How about a Deepwater-class light freighter? (you can even find deckplans and plausibly shift them to your liking on account of typical Mon Cala variability)

On another topic, regarding Andor; (spoilered only for trailer imagery, nothing spoilery beyond that)
    Happy to see it already surpass the last couple shows on neat ships with Stellan Skarsgard's light freighter and the Arrestor cruiser (sure the latter isn't technically new but this qualifies as its real debut as I don't even think it made it to any fiction post its almost appearrance in Solo - maybe that Solo Imperial training comic?). Still don't like the troop transports but looks like they're local militia ships, so I'll excuse their plain look.

Also hoping to finally see those Partisan X-wings in action. I quite like their colour scheme and thought it was a bit overshadowed by Black One's appearance (which i also think is a cool colour scheme) when they debuted, so here will be a chance to appreciate them more (and maybe get some merchandise ). I think alternate squadron markings in general are a bit of a missed opportunity for Star Wars. People dig the clone trooper variations so let's start seeing some new Rebel/Republic livery. Can't be too hard to reskin the assets. Not just a standard New Repbulic scheme either, but different patterns for different squads (though I stil want an onscreen double blue New Repbulic X-wing). Mando in particular should have slapped some new livery on the X-wings that appeared. It's a perfect way to not break the bank but give some new character to decades old ships.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  15. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    There were five?!

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've wanted this so badly you have no idea.

Sean_Connery and gat-65b like this.
  17. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    I know, right. If you are at all a merchandise collector, I've been dying to see one of their product lines (Star Wars Micro Galaxy, the Atlaya stuff, some other line in the future) start with anything other than a Red 5 X-wing (or now occasionally Black One). When you think of real fighter squadrons (or heck even some fictional ones like in Macross), different markings abound. It doesn't take much to please fleet lovers sometimes; this just seems an easy one.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup.

Subjugator, Malevolence, Devastation, Malevolence II, and an unnamed one which was destroyed in its shipyard in the Enoth system.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Subjugator_(Subjugator-class)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Malevolence_(II)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Devastation

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Unidentified_Subjugator-class_heavy_cruiser

Alpha-Red likes this.
  19. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that the older model U-wing from Rebels will appear in Andor.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Sean_Connery and Snafu55 like this.
  20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    What? This one?. Can't see much of a difference.

21. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    No, this one.

[​IMG]

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  22. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Ah, all from stuff I've never played or read lol.

I remember back in the day, around the time of the special edition release (and even for a long time after) of the OT, a lot of products (including textures in videogames) just used Red 3/Biggs's markings, unless they were specifically trying to be another X-Wing.

I asked Pablo about it once, he wasn't sure why, other than maybe that was just the X-Wing used in the reference images that LucasFilm gave licensors.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  23. JohnLydiaParker

JohnLydiaParker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2019
    (Apologies for originally asking in the wrong subforum. Wondering if there's any agreement in (in Legends) about how good a ship's sensors are at figuring out the armament of other ships. My impression is that massively upgraded shields and power generation are undetectable until they're tuned on. (Can actual shield strength, hyperdrive rating, and realspace speed even be figured out by a customs boarding without having to start taking the ship apart?)

-Really, (mostly for a story I'm writing) how well would the "just a convoy of light freighters/just a normal light freighter" routine work for getting past at long range a of couple of Imperial warships charged with protecting a planet (not blockading it), or getting close to an actual convoy before attacking, without revealing all the freighters have been converted into disguised warships that look like regular light freighters from the outside, but actually are as fast as a TIE, have as many as 26 people aboard, have enough shields to take 3 Star Destroyer brim battery turbolaser hits, and are armed with a battery of 6+ proton torpedoes forward with 80+ torpedoes to fire from them and mounts a quartet of quadlasers (two on concealed mounts)? (The rebuild might have cost something like 600k to probably a million credits, which is why nobody other then the group in my story uses them.) I know there's static-damping, but that doing a scan of the ship would reveal that static-damping is in use. There's also some form of sensor masking in existence, and it's possible to make a smuggling compartment basically scan-proof. I'm assuming a sensor focus would reveal more, but how much?

(Or in a more extreme case, an Action-VI bulk freighter converted into a disguised heavy bombardment ship - it's been given 10 blaster cannons, a pair of quadlasers, (disguised) heavy armor, powerful shields, numerous additional power plants and 5 heavy turbolasers and 12? ion cannons mounted on concealed mounts (barrels rotate inward, limited field of fire mounts on the port side). Possibly with sensor masking?)

For that matter, how close do you have to tell the difference between a light freighter that has a pair of quadlasers and one that's unarmed?

Or is it completely inconstantly portrayed, and do whatever seems to suits the plot the best?

24. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Are the larger sizes of Confederate capital ships seen in TCW meant to retcon the original dimensions, or are they really meant to be identical variants two-and-a-half-times the original size? Wookieepedia claims the latter, but I'm not sure what that's based on, when the former was the case for the Viscount and Executor.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    They're obviously out-of-universe mistakes...but there's just no in-universe explanation anyone can come up with other than "bigger identical variant".

Although I do have the same question about the Xyston-class Star Destroyer. Did they intend for these to be identical to the ANH Star Destroyers, only fitted with a superlaser...and the 2,400 meter length was a mistake? Or did they actually want it to be 2,400 meters?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022