main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I love his fanlore there and art accompanying it!

I had another thought watching this though: Given the Cantwell X-Wing with its 90° angled wings was not used ultimately, I always regarded the B-Wing from ROTJ as a spiritual successor to the Cantwell X-Wing. Aside the weird B name that is debateable if it fits the shape, the B-Wing has 90° angled wings like the Cantwell version, giving it a similiar profile, merely placing the cockpit not in the center and having two wings shorter and folding down on the same side instead of opposite sides.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not sure I buy this one, TBH.

--Adm. Nick

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I came up with my own more mundane backstory for the X-wing in the headcanon thread, where it's still a good and above-average fighter design, but not quite the bleeding-edge machine that he makes it out to be.

Speaking of which, why did they call it a B-wing to begin with? If they were going with the shape of the craft, T-wing would have made more sense.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Vialco likes this.
  4. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Out-of-, or in-universe? The name originally came from the RotJ model team's labels of "fighter A" and "fighter B", I believe.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, I meant out-of-universe. I mean, X-wing and Y-wing obviously came from the shape...A-wing kinda vaguely looks like an "A" from above so that fits...but then B-wing doesn't.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Episode guide out for the first 3 Andor episodes, some of ship names are given but not all.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That is a lot on just that one pic.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    B for a blade?

seeker_two likes this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    That was one Retcon yeah. But it does not look very Blade-like either, unless you take the B-Wing with its "crossguard" wings extended as the hilt and the "blade" is the powerful boostershot it can use according to Hera and Rebels in its prototype. That'd make it a fine Laserblade!

Though ironic that it also showed the Empire how to miniaturize Death Star technology given small craft can carry powerful guns thx to Mon Cal inventors!

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't know where the name came from in Legends, but in canon's Rebel Starfighters Haynes Manual it's explicitly established that the "B" in B-Wing derives from "Blade Wing" which is what Quarrie called his initial prototype. The book doesn't go on to explain the origin of "Blade Wing" but my guess is that it derives from the ship's silhouette, which could be viewed as a stylized dagger when the wings are extended (cockpit strut as the hilt, wings as the crossguard, and the remaining structure as the blade).

seeker_two and Alpha-Red like this.
  11. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Andor
    It's great to see TIE fighters fill a role other than "disposable cannon fodder" in media for once. I was thinking the other day that while we've gotten used to hearing it all the time for years, the unique engine sound would be really intimidating to hear from the ground.

We also get our best look yet at the "Coronet passenger starliners" outside of concept art for Solo and they look fantastic.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
  13. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
  14. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Andor
    The prison barge is a new design, right?
    I think for the interior they might be using a modified version of the Zeta-class shuttle's set from Rogue One.

gat-65b likes this.
  15. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    It appears to be a new design. Looks like a larger unarmed version of the Imperial transport from Mando and Obi-Wan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Senator Wan, Snafu55 and gat-65b like this.
  16. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    I'll admit I still struggle with the boxy look of ships like this. I mean, yes, it makes sense for a utilatarian function such as the one in the show. But when you start getting a few of the same of these types, it really just comes across as a little boring. Granted, I don't have an idea for something much better but, then, I'm not a concept designer. I just wish there was SOMEthing to breakup the boxes with engines on it. I'm reminded of the Separtist shuttles which aren't wildly extravagant but still have a unique design hook to make them stand out.

Does not detract from the show at all (which I adore) but just one too many of these really basic shapes for me this time around (coming from the perspective of someone who wants memorable ship designs, not as a critique of their look relative to their place in universe).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Snafu55 likes this.
  17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    As far as troop and prisoner transports for the Empire I have no issue with utilitarian...however I really do want to see more ships of different varieties that show different design aesthetics.

My issue...as always...is make and model along with some basic information on the ships.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    CaptainPeabody likes this.
  18. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    Oh, I will freely admit it's my own hangup. And I don't mind seeing one or two models of the same ilk, would just prefer something different at this stage. Heck just try a sphere with engines or a trapezoid or anything.

In contrast, was quite impressed by the purple ship in the second Dooku episode of TOTJ (I think it is new). Yes its finery befits its owner's station but I think it showed there are areas where Star Wars animation excels still vs other mediums. I agree that, like the prisoner transport, would appreciate some offical info about it tossed in a databank article or what have you pending some sort of guide material (prospect of ever getting which may be at mythical status now, but I was going through some old boxes and couldn't help but feels nostalgic for the very many essential guides we use to get).

Snafu55 and MercenaryAce like this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I will say as far as breaking up the monotony of clunky industrial ships while still fitting that aesthetic, I really liked the pyramidical Prex-Mor corporate security ship in the first couple of episodes, and I think it's kind of a shame that it's unlikely to show up again.

gat-65b and Snafu55 like this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I get it...but we did get a bunch of other designs earlier...so I hold out hope.

gat-65b likes this.
  21. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Since we'll be seeing Saw's Partisans using the X-Wing pretty soon, I'll be headcannoning that they somehow got delivery of a number of early models or examples, or even stole them. It's also possible the X-Wing did get limited buyers before the defecting design team story (which numerous reference sources, including the Haynes Guide, have indicated is still canon, so far)

22. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    I was actually hoping some version of the Incom design team rescue would be an Andor mission for Season 2 (honestly would have worked for me as a Season 1 finale before the show started). Nice alternative to a Death Star revelation and I think a flashy shot of an X-wing design as the payoff would be sufficiently recognizable as a major victory to the general audience.

Not going to happen now, of course. Maybe it could still be a part of a hypothetical Saw Gererra show. Retcon it to the Partisans being the ones to facilitate the defection (sure they seem more the blow things up type but I imagine they branch out). Probably makes more sense for another group to have done it, though and the ships filter out to other factions. I just want more Saw and company.

Snafu55 and Alpha-Red like this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting that the X-Wing that would be so iconic would originate in the Partisan extremist faction, whereas the more straightforwardly heroic Phoenix squadron's a-wings get shelved until near the end of the war.

The Raxus senator ship was very fool. Super fancy.

I don't mind boxy, utilitarian designs...though, even then I find myself liking older box ships like the X-Wing series' Stormtrooper Transport or Assault Transport over some of these newer ships. Not a big deal though.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  24. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I just want to say how amazing the T6 Shuttle looks in the ToTJ episodes. So much more detailed than in any previous appearances.

seeker_two and Snafu55 like this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Is that a T-6? I'm almost sure its a precursor to the T-6.

Snafu55 likes this.