main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    That may also be a mistake with the Boarding Craft, which has a similarly sized middle section and two connected pods that both carry passengers:
    [​IMG]

Grevious_Coward likes this.
  2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    So I was thinking the other day...

How many rooms in a normal production ISD?

How many types of rooms could I think up. I saw a breakdown once that suggested, given the size of the ship, even a full compliment crew (37,000?) could easily have their own quarters given the available space...but that assumes the space is not otherwise occupied. What else would occupy the space?

So...I put it to you all...what are all the "rooms" in an Imperial Star Destroyer:

1. Bridge
    2. Hangar
    3. Auxiliary Hangar
    4. Crew Barracks
    5. Officer's Quarters
    6. Captain's Cabin
    7. Brig
    8. Crew Dinning
    9. Officer's Dinning
    10. Kitchens
    11. Armory
    12. Maintenance Stations
    13. Power Plant
    14. Engine Maintenance
    15. Hyperdrive Control
    16. Droid Maintenance
    17. Fire Control
    18. Guest Quarters
    19. Conference Rooms
    20. Interrogation Rooms
    21. Cargo Bays
    22. Training Rooms / Gymnasium
    23. Shield Control / Maintenance
    24. Tractor Beam Control
    25. Soldier Barracks
    26. Weapon's Range
    27. Medical Stations
    28. Communications Control
    29. Sensors Control
    30. Trash Compaction
    31. Water Collection/Reclamation
    32. Bathrooms/Washrooms
    33. Laundry

Please add on as you can.

Beyond this, is conceptualizing how many of each room, and the dimensions they would require.

For example: Kitchens to serve 37,000 daily...is there a centralized Kitchen with service to scattered dinning halls? a huge central crew hall? Are their kitchens on every level with kitchen staffs serving crews on each deck? Different menus on different decks? Seems inefficient.

But there is the crux of the whole thought exercise...how much of the ship was dedicated to massive single purpose operations, vs multiple redundant operations throughout the ship. Can an argument be made for scheduling thousands of solders through routine dining, bathing, training in large rooms, or is it more "regional" and crew rarely venture far from their quarters, mess, and work station?

If you start to think about the scale of the vessel, comparison to naval ship operations starts to become less realistic.
    The WWII-esque nature of Star Wars is thwarted by just how far you would have to go to find a meal.
    If you start to think about Imperial doctrine and practice, comparison to sci-fi ship operations (like Star Trek) break down completely. Not going to be science stations, counselors, or holodecks on an ISD. Might be lucky to find a lounge or 2 in the officer's sections.

I have been trying to remember any EU references to regular ship operations, which were rare, but they seldom speak at scale.

I know the cross sections took the approach of "GIANT ENGINE" stuff to fill cavernous space inside, which we probably have to take at face value, but they tend to be thin on the day to day crew sections.

Just a thought exercise. So many years talking about how big these things are, their mission profiles, their variants...just want to imagine all that space filled in.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well this is the Enterprise-D from Star Trek and not a Star Destroyer, but probably still relevant as a point of reference in discussing crew space:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Senator Wan, Tuskin38 and Jedimarine like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    More ECHenry haha.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  5. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    What a coincidence that this topic got raised, as I recently re-read the section of The Black Fleet Crisis dealing with the wreck of the Gnisnal and was trying to visualize all of those decks and sections mentioned within.

Jedimarine likes this.
  6. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Dark Force Rising has that whole sequence when Luke and Mara break Karrde out of confinement. They break into a crew lounge / pilot ready room to steal disguises. Dark Horse's Dark Force Rising #5 depicts that sequence, so some internal visuals of the Chimera. There's also the "Deep Storage" where the Falcon was being stored.

Jedimarine and JABoomer like this.
  7. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    You know I think you're right!
    After having a closer look the middle section is similar in height, but stretches further back, than the main part of the TIE Bomber's middle section (it doesn't have the bottom part of the TIE Bombers mid section). Similar to the TIE Bomber it could have a crawl way through the middle, but it's height would probably only be 60-80cm high, which isn't great if you have to crawl through it in full Stormtrooper armour.
    I can only think the extra passenger space in the cockpit pod is for when it has somewhere it can land, and isn't used when it has to use the boarding hatch.

Long Snoot likes this.
  8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    At least we know why the corridors are always so empty.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think we finally got a good look at the fighter used by the Rhokai gang in this week's bad batch:
    During the transition where they show the underworld portal and the Martez garage, I think the ship in the foreground is the same type of ship. I mean, it is hard to tell since we saw little of it in its first appearance, but I think it looks similar, and it makes sense to reuse the model rather than bother to make two throw away ship models.

Good analysises, I have thought much the same - I mean, I expect that even some of the Hosnian survivors would have surrendered or gone down in localized last stands, and one could argue that there couldn't have been too much of the NRDF at Exogal or else the "Its not a fleet just people" thing wouldn't be there, but I can definitely see surviving NRDF force being the backbone of local defense and resistance groups.

.....honestly, the story I want most for this era is a BSG style story of a New Republic ship that wasn't at Hosnian due to being on patrol or under maintenance, and then ends up leading a force of rescued PSF and civilian volunteer ships to wage a guerilla war against the First Order. Which admittedly is stepping on the toes of Resistance a bit but you know, larger scale...what can I say, it is fun story archetype.

Pons likes this.
  10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    You get a screen grab?

11. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Not the best quality, but I have these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For comparison, here is https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rhokai_gang_starfighter
    Note the large back engines, blocky front, and struts hanging down from the wings. Almost something Cylon Raider esque about it...

Chris0013 and Foreign32567 like this.
  12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Thanks. And Iagree...it looks like it.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

I was pursuing a collection of TCW material when I found this, I think the ship might be a modification of this Coruscant taxi cab design. Certainly the square prongs on the front and two big conical engines look similar, though the possible fighter has much larger wings giving it kind of a manta shape.

Honestly, given how brief the fighter's appearance was and how little it was in focus, I suppose it makes sense to modify an existing model rather make up a whole new one.

14. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    Nice find! Comparing the two they match up pretty closely. The main differences I've noticed are:
    • The wings added to the bottom
    • The main cabin width looks to have been reduced by half. This has also brought the engines closer together.
    • Engines appear to have had the rear part and lower fins removed. They also appear to have been shaped to give a similar top down silhouette to the the taxi.
    • Two guns have been added to the front
    • The front fins may have been extended further downwards.
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    So, the mini-Eclipse showed up in the first Mando S3 ep. Looks vaguely Kuati? Also seems Arquitens-ish in size.
    [​IMG]

Chrissonofpear2 and MercenaryAce like this.
  16. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I really like the hangar style (visible in the concept art), almost Venator-ish.
    Also...
    ...I think we might be seeing that Gozanti again in the future, with the rest of Bo-Katan's former fleet.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    More detailed look on Crimson Dawn's fleet and recanonization of Royal Guard TIE/IN starfighter.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Ahh I was about to post that! [face_laugh]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    MercenaryAce and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Wish it was bigger...not ISD bigger but just bigger.

20. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Excellent observations. Somehow I totally missed the blasters on there even though I knew from the chase that these ships were armed. And overall more distinctions than I first thought, while still maintaining an overall similar look.

I will headcanon them as produced by the same company. I mean, incom makes civilian airspeeders as well as military fighters, so why not these guys?

That big, my first thought was something more corvette sized.

But yeah, even ignoring the eclipse resemble it does seem pretty imperial/kauti. Stolen and modified like the Demolisher perhaps?

Overall, very cool looking - I especially love
    the stripes that remind me of dazzle camouflage, and the turrets - which looked like B-17 ball turrets, but were deployed in a way evocative of a galleon opening its gunports and extending its canons. Very star wars mix of inspirations there.

That sounds like a safe bet. I wonder what else they might have. Stolen imperial mostly, but it would fun to see some other designs, particularly if they brought back crusader corvetters or keldabe battleships from EaW.

Very cool, thanks for the heads up.

Much better looks at the cruiser and frigate designs, plus new landers and corvettes. All the need is a few more fighter types and they could be a playable faction in squadrons.

Fleet junkies are eating good today. Also shoutout to the Bad Batch and
    The imperial research ship with the giant stun ray. Given the godzilla influence for the Zillo beast and how the stun tanks were based on maser tanks, I wonder if this ship was a shout out to the super-x aircraft, some of the few human weapons to ever give godzilla trouble.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh I meant to say.

Those were R41 Starchasers in Mandalorian, yes?

MercenaryAce and ColeFardreamer like this.
  22. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Also Guavian Ship in the background, but not red.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Mando:
    That tiny Eclipse-y thing looked like a cross between Eclipse and a Marauder class Corvette... But I liked its different flat hangar and topside docking capabilities as per concept art best visible in the episodes end!

Bad Batch:
    I do wonder if the ship that transported the Zillo beast was the same or similiar to the ship Sidan Ithano has in TFA. The backside profile looks exactly the same. The Crimson Corsair though was much shorter and if not mistaken by far not as tall!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    The Wook lists the
    mini-Eclipse as a "Corsair." [​IMG] Also, looking at the bridge and overall size relative to the fighter, it looks like it's been heavily scaled-up from the concept art.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.