main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    I am curious to see if the bridge windows are only protected by shields, or if they just have them on to make the bridge look more intimidating.

Technically the ship should be big enough to power that many turrets at once, as they are likely equivalent to heavy fighter grade weapons.
    Even so they do have some limitations. Their mounting restricts their ability to rotate on the horizontal plane; giving them a rather limited fire arc that stops them from being able to fire forward. The openings behind them also look like a massive weak point where a well placed shot or proton torpedo could disable or destroy multiple turrets in one go.

Long Snoot likes this.
  2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Seems like a modified LAAT/le gunship at the New Republic service at the end of the episode.

MercenaryAce and Long Snoot like this.
  3. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    The Mandalorian
    I think it's a bit funny that out of universe the LAAT/le was intentionally designed for late TCW episodes to tie-in (no pun intented) with imperial designs, while now it's "not imperial" enough to not be completely discarded by the New Republic unlike the many TIEs, Star Destroyers and walkers. We don't see much of this variant but they made the canopy more rounded and removed the hexagonal frame inside, making it look less "TIE-ish" than the older model.

In concept art the ISDs are clearly shown to be Imperial-IIs, but as far as I have noticed all the ones we see in the episodes have had their communication tower/tractor beam targeting array scrapped already. The guns are ISD-I styled. I doubt they'd bother with these details anyway, since they didn't for the Xyston.

I was surprised to see such as large fleet of Interceptors at the beginning, especially since so far the imperial remnant has been shown to be very "conservative" in numbers (with very few regular and outland TIEs and Gideon's flagship being an undercrewed Arquitens). Bo says she is surprised that a warlord would have so many fighters, so I'm sure it will get addressed later on in the season.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The design was inherited from another Star Wars project according to the Clone Wars episode guide. It was never explicitly said what project, but I'm guessing it was 'Underworld'.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Long Snoot likes this.
  5. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    [​IMG]

Seems like a Z-95 Headhunter.

6. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Bad Batch
    Turns out the "modern Gozanti upgrade" was not modern at all, but rather a very early one. Either:
    a) both variants were introduced almost at the same time, but the "heavier" one is more expensive and less common (which would fit the already estabilished "Gozanti - class cruiser" and "Gozanti - class assault carrier" distinction);
    b) they're going to retcon this as being the "realistic look" for all the imperial Gozantis all along, even though the Rebels design was already adapted 1:1 in some videogames.
    Personally I'd rather go with b), but I'm biased because I love like this design.

Speaking of realism, I thought the model was oddly detailed compared to most ships in the animated shows.

Snafu55, Slater and MercenaryAce like this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    We sure it is not just an X-Wing with the angle covering up some of its wings?

If it is Z, it certainly seems different than the clone Z-95 that has been more common in canon, and the engines seem different from the most common legends design. New variant? Perhaps the Z-96 mentioned by resistance?

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from the nose,

it looks to me like it could pass for a clone Z-95. Maybe the nose canards are retractable, or maybe they're just smaller and less obvious than in TCW.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    The nose is the smallest difference to me. The blaster tips are too long, the wing is straight out whereas the clone Z-95 has more of a curve or delta, and the engines stick way out in the back whereas they stubby in the clone z-95, and most z-95 models I think.

10. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe it is indeed X-Wing, but I really hope that it is not, it appearing at 5 BBY in Andor was already too early.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I hope not either. I hope it is a Z-95, or better yet Z-96 since I have been dying to know what one looks like since they were mentioned, I just think it looks more like an X-Wing banking than a Z-95.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  12. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    What's everyone's take on the "Hell's Anvil" as a bounty hunters ship?

MercenaryAce and Sean_Connery like this.
  13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Interesting ship...wouldn't mind seeing it in live action.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hell's_Anvil
    [​IMG]

Sean_Connery and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Solidly designed, if not a stand out favorite of mine. Especially compared to many of the other vehicles and vessels from that game, such as Jaster's Legacy, Longshot, or the Vaat/e.

15. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    An interesting new walker.

16. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Mandalorian
    I had to watch the episode on a rush so I couldn't check, but I *think* that the Lambda's interior is pretty much identical to the one seen in the cross sections book.

We also had confirmation that the Lambda is employed by the NR navy, but I wish it and the X-Wings had a blue paintjob or at least markings to show it...

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Pretty interesting choice, since a couple episodes ago they were emphasizing scrapping anything imperial, even lab kits and rations, why would shuttles be an exception?

Especially since we already have a NR prison transport design the showrunners could have used.

Snafu55 and Long Snoot like this.
  18. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    That NR prison transport would’ve been too much for transporting a single prisoner.

Did we have confirmation before that in-universe "corsair" is a type of ship like corvette or frigate?

Because this episode explicitly mentions that Gorian Shard’s ship is a Cumulus-class corsair.

Snafu55, Senator Wan and MercenaryAce like this.
  19. Grevious_Coward

May 30, 2020
    We got to see a lot of the pirate corsair this episode including its engines and flight deck. Once I get my hands on some hi res screencaps I'll try and see if I can get an approximate size for the ship.

I was a bit surprised that the bottom guns aren't laser cannons, but are in fact some sort of projectile launcher.

Also was great to see Y-wings and X-wings again, even if they didn't do much.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Hopefully we see a live-action Starhawk at this rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The Episode guide calls it an AT-TC, but doesn't say what the 'TC' stands for.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    According to the episode guides and databank, Rex's ship is called the Remora, is a modified mining vessel (which makes sense for its boarding abilities - probably designed for boring into asteroids), and is the same type of ship as the Meson Martinet - which seems to contradict earlier descriptions of that ship as a Corellian Star Shuttle.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  23. Grevious_Coward

May 30, 2020
    Here's a very rough attempt at getting the size of the pirate Corsair.
    I was originally going to use the bottom turrets to measure the ship as I've got an approximate diameter of 2m for them, but every side view I had they were to small or hard to see, so I ended up using the bridge's height to measure the length.
    Unfortunately I don't have the interior height of the bridge, but I can make a guess of its minimum height based on Gorian Shard. While we don't have his height, we do know the height of his performance actor Carey Jones; who is 2.01m tall. Since Gorian Shard isn't smashing his head on the ceiling when he stands up, a good guess for the minimum height is 2.2m to 2.3m. I'll go with 2.3m as it leaves enough room for roof greebles and any extra height added by Gorian Shard's costume - I wonder how much of it is CGI and how much is practical?

Using the following image I got a length of 143m, using a 2.3m tall bridge.
    [​IMG]
    For a potential maximum length a bridge height of 3m is a good yard stick. It's basically the height of a number of sets (like the Tantive IV corridors), it's also likely too tall for what we see in the show, so anything over this height is unlikely.
    A 3m bridge gives a maximum length of around 187m.

It'll be interesting to see how close I am to its actual length, but we probably won't know until something like The Art of the Mandalorian season 3 book comes out.

Chris0013 and Foreign32567 like this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Thanks for putting int the work on that..I would go with the larger number.

Grevious_Coward likes this.
  25. Grevious_Coward

May 30, 2020
    Got a new ship. Likely Quarren.
    [​IMG]
    The bridge kinda reminds of a Star Trek ship.
    [​IMG]
    We also got to see Bo-Katan's fleet
    [​IMG]
    Looks to be at least 6 Kom'rk (7 if we include Bo-Katan's one), 2 Gozanti and the Imperial Light Cruiser (it can land!).