main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    This is about space stations rather than starships, but are these two the biggest artificial objects (by diameter anyway) to have existed in Star Wars?

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Let's put it this way: add this to your list and you're likely looking at the three largest artificial objects by diameter to exist in Star Wars. (By virtue of encircling a star rather than a planet, the Glavis Ringworld would dwarf both the others and is by far the largest artificial object we've ever seen depicted in SW.)

Alpha-Red likes this.
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ???

Glavis isn't that big. We can see a passenger liner pull alongside it for comparison, and people walking into said ship, and I think it is more like the size of the rings of Kafene, maybe even smaller. City sized, but still dwarfed by the death star.

Also I don't know why wookieepedia is saying it encircled a star. If that were the case it would always be day rather than going through day - night cycles rapidly like we see in the show. It seemed clear to me the light was coming in from beyond the station via a gap in the ring.

DurararaFTW and Alpha-Red like this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I think there is a shot that includes the star, though it's brief and at a rather oblique angle...so you can see it does encircle it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  5. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    No, I just watched all the clips where you can seen the station from the outside. The star is clearly outside of it and far away.

6. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The item about the Glavis Ringworld encircling a star comes from the Official Databank, which also explains how it has a day / night cycle.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    At the 14 second mark of the video you posted? In the episode itself it's slightly after the episode title is displayed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  8. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, alright then. I stand corrected.

Sometimes it feels like the databank adds new info only when it makes the least amount of sense possible, like the whole Anaxes blowing up thing.

That still looks like it is outside the ring to me. If it is in the middle, that has to be the tiniest star to ever exist.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Wasn't Centerpoint Station just ridiculously huge?

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The central globe was 100 km diameter - less than the DS1 even if you're using the small 120km version (rather than the 160km "newcanon" version). The pillars coming out of the globe made the whole thing bigger though at 350km end-to-end.

Jedimarine and MercenaryAce like this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh, you mean if it's way off in the distance? Hrm, maybe that does make more sense since it would explain why that portion of the ring is darkened...

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Question: if Coralskippers have no Yuuzhan Vong equivalent of a hyperdrive, how did they travel from Helska IV to Sernpidal and then follow the refugee convoy to Dubrillion?

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Carriers off-screen, I guess? chuckles

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm guessing they just had some carrier ships?

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We know they had a few other ships beyond the three worldships with them, after all.

16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Vector Prime has Da'Gara and Ma'Shraid's forces having only coralskippers while Dooje Brolo's carried multi-crewed yorik-coral craft (which could either be Yorik-vec or Yorik-akaga or some unknown craft). No sign of indicating they had a carrier analog in their forces. No confirmation of carrier analogs until Jedi Eclipse either. And no sign of capital ships until the cruiser/warship analog in Onslaught.

Yuuzhan Vong craft are confusing. There appears to be somewhat a divide between the novels and the sourcebook.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Domain Brolo arrived after the Dubrillion attack, or before?

I can't remember the exact timeline.

18. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    After.

Ma'Shraid arrived after the Dozen-and-Two Avengers were wiped out saved Kyp (escaped) and Miko (captured).

Dooje Brolo arrived after the Dubrillion attack.

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I suppose we could rhyme that Domain Ma'Shraid didn't immediately settle on Helska and setup at the edge of the Dubrillion system.

I name the worldships so for ease of reference.

It is notable that losing three Koros-Strohna in the opening days of the invasion really is a blow, when we look at the dozen plus we see going forward.

A few weeks later they lose a Kor Chokk too, and seemingly Uro-ik va'alh at Ord Mantell, but then of course it's relatively little until Fondor costs them half a fleet.

But then the march on Coruscant involves tens of thousands of ships so who knows how much a blow those were. A ship the size of a moon, an 'island ship' and six of the largest cruisers in their fleet are lost before they even reach Coruscant.

20. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    [​IMG]

21. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    The gameplay trailer also shows a Sentinel shuttle, a rare sight since Rebels ended.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Going back to Victory-class Star Destroyers...how many major visual variations do we have? Two engines versus three engines...the forward-pointing antennae on the bridge...do all the Victories have wings? And they open up to form that X-shape right, so that's not a variation...

So I think that's four different combinations, and therefore four variants? Do any of these characteristics correspond to the Victory-I and Victory-II classes?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  23. Grevious_Coward

Grevious_Coward Jedi Knight star 1

May 30, 2020
    Another difference is that some have a targeting array (like on the ISD) between the bridge globe, and some don't.
    Going through my reference folder, the wing structures also vary between different depictions. In most of them, the wings appear to be an extension of the main hull, rather than movable surfaces.
    The only official versions I know of that have the wings open are old games, like Tie Fighter and X-wing Alliance. These versions don't have any structures between the wings and are notched into the main hull. Unlike most depictions, they do look like they could open and close.
    There is also at least one depictions of what appears to be Victory without wings. According to wookiepedia it appears in Dark Empire 2.

As for which characteristics correspond to the Victory-I or Victory-II, I'm not sure. I know the Victory-I is generally thought to have the the two engines. This could fit with the lore of its engines being underpowered, but as far as I know there is nothing visually pointing towards this, and the only depiction with two engines I can think of is the Harrow; which we don't know if it's a Victory-I, II, another variant, or even ship class.
    The wings could be another difference between the two. The Victory-I could have the maneuvering surfaces, while the Victory-II could forfeit them for additional hull space and less maintenance costs. Lore wise it could be explained as the Victory-I being designed for atmospheric combat, while the Victory-II was redesigned as more of a deep space combat ship, so it no longer needed them. Of course, like the engines, I don't know of anything official pointing to a difference between the wings.

Ringo Vinda, along with Kuat and other planet ring stations, are likely some of the biggest objects in Star Wars(depending on the planets size) - the planet Ringo Vinda looks rather small in some scenes if you compare it to the station, but it's a cartoon so not a huge problem... I do wonder what an accurate ring station would look like. Probably would look more like a thread or wire around the planet, than a large visible ring.

Glavis Ringworld is probably a lot smaller than Ringo Vinda. The ring doesn't look all that wide (currently thinking somewhere between 1-4km), and if the diameter was as big, or bigger than a planet, the ring would appear a lot flatter in the closeup shots and the part that curves away in the distance would be a lot smaller. Also if it was big enough to fit around a sun, I'm not sure you would even be able to see it curving away, as depicted in the show.
    I did do a photomatch on one scene and got a width to inner diameter ratio of 1/174. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but even with an overly large 10km width, it would only be 1,740km wide, which is nothing compared to Kuat drive yards; which based on Kuats size has to be over 10,000km in diameter.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    CaptainPeabody and Alpha-Red like this.
  24. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The Glavis Ringworld, despite its name, might not be "ring-shaped" in the manner of Kuat or Ringo Vinda. The Databank entry describes it encircling its star "like a ribbon" which at least to me implies a more complex shape and structure than a basic circle.

And if it really is intended to encircle a star, well, the smallest star ever measured in our galaxy comes in at around 167,000 km in diameter (though slightly smaller stars may theoretically exist). For the Glavis structure to be smaller than Kuat or Ringo Vinda, you'd need either the Glavis star to be really, really small, or Kuat and Ringo Vinda to be really, really big. In the weird and wacky world of Star Wars physics (this is a universe where stars can be "absorbed" into a planet, which then causes the planet itself to turn into a star when it explodes) these things are surely possible, but given the minimal amount of lore presently available re: Glavis I think the creative intent was to depict a structure that basically dwarfs anything else we've seen thus far in the GFFA.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    TBH, my first assumption when seeing the episode was just that it was meant to be a Banks Orbital - a ring-shaped megastructure not encircling a star.