main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  2. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I apologise, I didn't check it from a while but I assumed it was inactive.
    I'll move on the discussion there and just leave a last clarification to my previous message here. I have nothing wrong with ground artillery being mounted on walkers (and it actually makes sense for the AT-AP to have a successor), what I meant was that I hope it will make sense for them to be used on Mimban instead of multi-role walkers and it will not be an excuse to forcibly introduce a new design. Unless whoever the empire is fighting there is equipped with heavy ground weapons (which seems unlikely during that stage of the galaxy) or the walkers are being strategically used against structures, there would probably be better options in the Imperial Army. @Star_Desperado in canon we know that AT-STs were being used as early as in 18 BBY and AT-DPs may be even older.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, that reminds me of the walker from the old droids cartoon opening, or at least the way it was presented on the data screen.

King of Alsakan and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Haha yeah I see what you mean, the front view in wireframe.

Tzizvvt78 and MercenaryAce like this.
  5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I assume the planet where this is featured has such terrain as to necessitate it. Looks like a muddy, difficult to navigate place. I wouldn't be surprised if they resort to using long-range artillery to hit targets from far away because actively hunting them with AT-STs or AT-ATs is made difficult with sinking into the ground, getting stuck, etc.

6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    If anyone is wondering
    [​IMG]

Also can we talk about that intro theme for a sec? Just......why

7. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    That looks suspiciously like the ATAP from ROTS.

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Why? Because it's an 80's cartoon of course. And its Stewart Copeland from The Police. He probably wrote it in 5 minutes and still it's great.

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    And it's used as the title to a new IDW comic story that's very much in the mode of the DROIDS cartoon, but within canon continuity.

And yeah, that really does look like the ROTS / TCW walker. Cool.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    To some comments made about SDs in atmosphere a few posts ago:

Euh. No one is claiming that repulsor tech is not capable of lifting up Star Destroyers or even SSDs. The question is why should they? They don't disgorge troops and they couldn't get much more targeting advantage being in atmosphere. Ships capable of going through hyperspace can't locate a target from orbit? What, their computer tech can't calculate firing angles through clouds? Doubt it. They're already devoting power to keeping shields up, firing turbolasers, a bunch of other stuff, and now they need to stay afloat. What's the need? Stay in orbit and pound stuff.

Saying well..it's the Empire so they do stupid things so "Yolo" is kind of a cop out.

Then I guess the Death Star must have repulsors all over it too for no reason. Ya know. "Yolo" hyuck.

Oh God, i should shut up now. They're going to hear me.

Did I mention that repulsor Executor is just disgustingly egregious?

Disgustingly egregious.

SSSSSsssssssssssssss. :claws air:

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by the Thrawn novel, the atmosphere blocks a lot of the turbolaser bolt.

That might be why, in the Rebels finale, when Thrawn bombards the city, he does so from deep in the atmosphere.

Jedi Knight Fett and Vialco like this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Which is totally ridiculous and just a bs explanation for capital ships purposely dropping into low altitude. Any laser that is powerful enough to damage and destroy city blocks, isn't going to be dissipated much by any amount of planetary atmosphere.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The bombardment scene (Lothal) show lasers wrecking small buildings. From a range of maybe 2 or 3 km.

Low orbit is 100 km. Being 50-odd times as far away, may make a big difference to how much it is "diffracted" - spread out.

The Atollon sequence at the end of Season 3, which was from low orbit or higher, showed much smaller explosions than the Lothal sequence. The explosions from the landing turbolaser bolts were right next to Kanan's speeder bike and they didn't fry it or him.

One could justify it as "they're dialled down" - since we see bolts from the same Star Destroyer location (the waist trench notches) vaporising small asteroids in TESB.

However, that doesn't explain why the much larger Octet Turbolasers, fired at Atollon from orbit - are doing even less damage - not without invoking atmosphere diffraction weakening the bolts.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  14. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    I don't recall it being discussed here before, but the Databank has now an entry for the "heavy TIE fighter", or TIE/rb (I wonder what that stands for). Apparently it doesn't just carry heavier weaponry, it is also shielded. Sounds like the closest thing in the Imperial Navy to an X-Wing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  15. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    Star Wars lasers are not real lasers and it's not up to us to decide how fictional technology works in a fictional setting.

TK-421 Is vader and TheRedBlade like this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It makes no sense either. If lasers were weakened so much by atmosphere, then you would use bombs and missiles instead.
    No I count this as just another stupid thing that has been added into canon. You want your star destroyer in your scene to be seen over the target being fired on, that's fine go ahead, I'll think it's silly but that's okay. But don't try to explain it into canon and limit every other following story with a Star Destroyer with weakened capabilities.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    What about those shields that you can move solid objects through but lasers bounce harmlessly off? An ISD would need to go in under the shield for that.

18. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Could you elaborate on this, I've read the novel, but I don't recall anything regarding turbolaser bombardments from space being less effective.

19. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Indeed, that's why Ozzel's hyperspace jump didn't allow the star destroyers to attack Echo Base directly: the rebels had already raised the shield generator.
    I'm not sure if Echo Base's generator does actually allow physical objects to pass trough, however, since the transports were able to leave the planet but Veers' Gozanti cruisers had to land far away from the base. They may have turned off the shield for a few seconds each time a GR-75 had to pass trough, tho.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  20. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    They did. Leia tells the assembled pilots "The energy shield can only be opened for a short time, so you'll have to stay very close to your transports."

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Plus at Endor they were worried about smashing into the shields.

After all, if shields didn't stop physical objects, you could just use airstrikes - or missiles for that matter.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I had one light cruiser get its engines disabled and it collided with the shields, based on a line from ROTJ, in my Battle of Endor fan story I made years ago.

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I never said the Empire did stupid things. I said that the Empire has a history of choosing theatrical displays meant to terrify its populous over more practical decisions. They force rebellious aliens into slavery instead of just using droids for their labor force. They built the Death Star instead of just building more Star Destroyers to bombard planets from orbit. In comparison, draining extra a little extra power to float a Star Destroyer over a city to remind any potentially rebellious citizens that the Empire is strong and always watching? Doesn't seem that out there to me.

Oh please, let's not turn this into a "New Canon vs Old Canon" thing as if the New Canon invented the idea of showing Star Destroyers in atmosphere. It happened in TFU (twice actually: a Star Destroyer in the Kashyyk intro level and the second Raxus Prime, had has appeared in art and comics. Much like wether or not lightsabers can work underwater, this has always been a "depending on the author" thing.

24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    And old Marvel SW, right up to the Executor, and Dark Horse's run, with a Star Destroyer on Nar Shaddaa. This has never been news unless you're only going by the Victory profile in the old rpg.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    JediBatman likes this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I was talking about it being canon that lasers are weakened so much by atmosphere that it requires a Star Destroyer to be just a few thousand feet above the target to get an efficient result.

Not everything needs a reason or explanation. It only sets up the likelihood of later contradictions or story limitations. Say I was a writer and wanted my Star Destroyers to bombard a planet into glass from orbit, I wouldn't want to suddenly be told "Sorry, canon says no".