main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Flip Horizontal" in After Effects?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey guys, I have looked all over, and I can't seem to find a "Flip Horizontal" option for video in After Effects? Does it not exist? If so, that just plain retarted.

2. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    You know how when you click the video layer, it gives you points, that line up on the walls of your composition? Drag the left point and pull it to the right side of your composition and that should flip it.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    In the layer controls, Transform > Scale > -100 X 100

That should do it. ;)

4. Martin-S

Martin-S Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2005
    You could also rotate the layer 180° in the y-direction in 3d mode.

5. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok, I'll try those. Geez, that's alot of work when they should just have the option of flipping it.

6. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Yeah. It's "retarted."

7. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I about choked when I saw who posted this...

8. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Alternatively, to avoid scaling your layer, you can achieve a flip by applying Effects > Transform to the layer and scale the X by -100 in there, which will not affect the actual transformation of your layer. It can be useful if you have complex comps where altering the scaling of a layer will mess with parenting or expressions, etc. You could also do this to an adjustment layer above multiple layers to flip them without pre-composing.

9. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    You calling me stupid? ha ha.

10. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    PixelMagic, not knowing something, gasp

11. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Yeah I've noticed this. Adobe makes all the simple things a tad more complicated to do in all their programs. Especially Adobe Encore(which kinda sucks).I mean try to make an outline circle in photoshop (well I have ver 5.5)...it's such a mission!

So yeah...Pixel just flip the scale of the horizontal to -100%

~Rory

12. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Maybe. ;)

Actually, I'm just surprised and oldbie would be asking such a question considering how many times I've seen newbies ask it.

13. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Just add a "stroke" layer style.

14. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Oreckel *is* right LOL

15. FruityTooty

Aug 29, 2005
    Retarted.

16. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Fruity, are you saying I mispelled retarted? Did I?

17. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Retarded

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "Retarded" is not permitted as a derogatory on this board system.

I don't want to have to edit every post in this thread, so let this just serve as a blanket warning not to let it happen again.

M. Scott

19. FruityTooty

Aug 29, 2005
    Yep. Wasn't deragatory, Mike. Like I'd use "retarded" as a deragatory. Or "****," or any other term along those lines.

(I will however use "Cramer" as a double entendre.)

20. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Sorry Dorkman, it won't happen again.

21. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Go to the "Scale" property. Unlink the x and y sliders. Add a negative sign in front of the y value. Done. (beep beep)

22. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yes, that's what DVeditor and fireresq7 already said.

23. Dub273

Dub273 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2003
    I don't mean to turn this into an Adobe-bashing thread, but After Effects suffers from a number of glaring interface issues, especially when you're working with masks, which made some of the roto work I did for Revelations take a lot longer than necessary.

I don't care for multiple functions for certain keys or actions... for example, pressing and holding the Space key allows you to pan your composition, while just pressing Space goes into "Play" mode. This annoyed me to no end when I wanted to pan but suddenly the comp was advancing in time. In one context, the double-click selects all points on a mask, but if you don't manage to click on the thin little line, it opens up some random layer in a new window. The worst thing is the utter lack of customization... not being able to map the keys the way I want is a real let-down.

I also didn't like trying to move a point on a mask, only to have EA move all other masks that weren't locked down. (Unless I SPECIFICALLY de-selected all masks, adding two or three clicks to each selection. Did I ever hate that.) This was especially disheartening when I had a bunch of Stormtroopers walking along and was roto'ing each of their separate armor pieces.

Still in all... if you can bear through some of the interface issues, there's a whole lot you can do with AE that makes your work sing, so I tend to be somewhat forgiving.

24. majormorgan

majormorgan Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    It gets a lot of the pros everytime. Even people who know how to do it and its just been a while since they last had to do it... lol

Heck, each time I have to ease a key frame like an object's position I have to spend a while adjusting it as it takes a while to re-acquaint myself with the curves that Aftereffects has. I can never get used to what AE thinks is easing on the graph especially from one type of keyframe to the next.

The one thing I really hate about AE is when you have audio layers and it has to pre-render the audio everytime you ram-preview something once you've made a small change. It should really have a render buffer for audio and picture seperate. Heck, even changing the layer order with sound affects it a whole ram-preview even though it doesn't affect the picture.

But its one heck of a program nonetheless and I can't live without it !

Major M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.