main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Focus Group Update: Negotiating Peace in the Canon Wars (Updated 12/6)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark Lady Mara, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
  2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If the EU makes a person happy and enhances their enjoyment of the franchise, that's wonderful. If it's just the opposite for another person, that's great, too. I never understood this whole debate. I really don't.

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The point is not to bash the EU. Why spend time talking about it if you don't like it? Talk about what you do like, such as the movies.

The thread is for movie fans who don't want to be lumped in with the Purist/basher image.

Just thought I'd post that again, because it was well-said and will hopefully be a guideline used in the future of the thread.

4. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    If the EU makes a person happy and enhances their enjoyment of the franchise, that's wonderful. If it's just the opposite for another person, that's great, too. I never understood this whole debate. I really don't.

DS, me neither. And I've got into many fracas with EU'ers about it.

Its all about tolerance and ignorance. There isn't that much tolerance for each others opinions frankly (but the guys in the FG seem to have come to an understanding which is great).
    And there seems to be some wilful ignorance on the matter too, both EU'ers and Saga-ists/Purists are guilty of this.
    From my experience with EU'ers some of them will not accept my explanation of why I dont take the EU to be canon, or keep badgering me to repeat myself ad neuseum (then I realised you shouldnt post in the Lit forum if you dont take the EU to be canon! :p ). Plus I did get attacked quite a bit just for expressing my opinion. Being "illogical" came up alot from what I recall.

Personally I think its fine to like just the movies or like the movies and the EU. Whatever floats a persons boat.

There is no point fighting over opinions.

5. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    From my experience with EU'ers some of them will not accept my explanation of why I dont take the EU to be canon, or keep badgering me to repeat myself ad neuseum (then I realised you shouldnt post in the Lit forum if you dont take the EU to be canon! ). Plus I did get attacked quite a bit just for expressing my opinion. Being "illogical" came up alot from what I recall.

Exactly. That and I find it offensive that people bash the movies and Lucas and then praise the EU as better than the movies. If it weren't for the movies, the EU wouldn't exist.

I don't much care if people like the EU--there are a few parts of it that I like myself--but when I get slammed because I don't think Mara rocks, or I don't think Boba Fett should come back to life, or I don't think the Solo kids should get kidnapped--and I'm getting slammed by the same people who say that George Lucas should never be allowed near another Star Wars movie--I start to wonder if I'm on a Star Wars fan site or an EU fan site.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Exactly. That and I find it offensive that people bash the movies and Lucas and then praise the EU as better than the movies. If it weren't for the movies, the EU wouldn't exist.

I, for one, have never done this. And I agree that some people can take it a bit far. But I'm of the opinion that bashing of any kind shouldn't exist, whether it be the movies, the EU, or Lucas, or the EU authors, etc.

7. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    ousley: Most completists probably don't do this...at least let's hope not. The rudest ones are always the loudest though, and I think that's also true of the purists (the ones who tell you you're idiots if you like the EU--something I have never done).

I'd like to see a site with no bashing allowed, particularly of either Lucas, the actors, or the authors. I think this would be a much more pleasant place if we could allow constructive criticism and friendly disagreement, but not bashing.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    ousley: Most completists probably don't do this...at least let's hope not. The rudest ones are always the loudest though, and I think that's also true of the purists (the ones who tell you you're idiots if you like the EU--something I have never done).

I can agree with that. I haven't seen very many instances of this, and I nkow its not common. There are certain things in the EU that I have liked better than certain scenes in the films, though I don't think that's too uncommon. The only real problem I have with the "Without the movies, there would be no EU" arguement is this:

Without ANH, there would be no ESB. So should people be able to say they like any movie better than ANH (by that reasoning)? Also, there was EU material released before ESB, not that it really matters to much to the arguement, but if the stuff wasn't popular, ESB may have been either different or not exist.

9. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I'd like to see a site with no bashing allowed, particularly of either Lucas, the actors, or the authors. I think this would be a much more pleasant place if we could allow constructive criticism and friendly disagreement, but not bashing.

I share that sentiment. But its going to be quite difficult when you have the odd few wilful troublemakers who don't care for such policies.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    The rudest ones are always the loudest though, and I think that's also true of the purists (the ones who tell you you're idiots if you like the EU--something I have never done).

Very true. We're discussing that in the FG right now. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people we've had to give strikes to so far under the new rule. But those same few people have been antagonizing others everywhere - CT, the new saga-ist thread, you name it.

Well, I agree it would be better if there were no bashing anywhere, but it's up to mods of other forums now to decide if that would benefit their forums. In general, we've been trying not to let people get away with too much bashing of any sort in CT, be it EU-bashing, RotJ-bashing, PT-bashing, or whatever. A lot of CT regulars are there because they don't like the PT. I recognize that. But respectful disagreement will always be allowed.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Just an announcement that we've wrapped up the focus group because we think we've addressed all that needed to be addressed. I was very pleased with what we accomplished in the group, because as controversial and drama-inducing as the topic was, we managed to develop some good new policies, and I think both sides have been more civil in CT lately as a result.

We'll make the board publically-viewable either tonight or tomorrow, so hopefully the skeptics will see for themselves and be convinced that Focus Groups have a purpose after all.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    The Focus Group is now open for public viewing here. Enjoy.

13. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Aw Sithspit, you beat me to it Mara. :(

I feel that it has done a lot of good in the CT and perhaps even to all of the movie forums as a whole. The focus group has been worth it.

I would like to thank all of the members who put in so much work in making this thing succeed. :)

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Is it too late to edit my posts? [face_blush]

15. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    E_V, that last post in the FG thread was out of control. I was ROTFLMAO.

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    LAST POST!!! :p

17. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Hehehe, glad you liked it.

I really did get bored last night, so I figured what the hey. :p

I might add some more later, perhaps tommorow evening or something.

18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "So any person reading this topic, can pick up at least something "real" and educational. Patton is always educational!"

I'd rather watch the movie, thank you. :D

19. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Yeah, but you can get a short bio of Churchill, soon a short bio on Lincoln and Neil Armstrong. Heck, you never know who I might throw in. So long as I'm bored enough to continue editing my last post for educational purposes.

The movie Patton is very good, I will give you that.

20. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I have noticed a decrease in the number of canon debates lately.

BTW EV, its up to you to keep us updated for when you update your last post. :p

21. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Will do. I've been fairly busy right now so I have not gotten around to doing any more updates yet. I'm shooting for tonight though. :)

22. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I have too. I'd like to think our having drawn attention to this issue has led more people to think about their behavior. Also, the first few people to have gotten a strike under the new rule, although most of them have griped a lot, have been much more careful about toeing the line lately. I hope this will ultimately turn out to be a rule that helps the community rather than a rule for rules' sake, but we'll see how things continue to develop.

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I'm rather curious to know how many people have actually read the thread, and what their impressions are (both about canon as well as FG's in general.)

Any word from the Mod squad on the process itself? Are there any other FG's going on right now?

24. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Updated. It's not all that good, at least I don't think so, since I did it so late at night. :(

There are currently 4 underway, and I don't really recall reading about the MSs opinion on specific groups. Perhaps I missed something though.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    That's likely. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.