main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Focus Group Update: Negotiating Peace in the Canon Wars (Updated 12/6)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark Lady Mara, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I hope this will ultimately turn out to be a rule that helps the community rather than a rule for rules' sake, but we'll see how things continue to develop.

Have no fear. Even if it's a rule for rule's sake it will still help the community. Those people who are just not able to coexist peacefully within the community will eventually be flushed out.

Those that already get along fine have nothing to worry about.

I don't see why it's so difficult for people to understand that we all don't have to have the same opinions, we just have to be respectful of each other. This is a fundamental life skill, not just an internet ethic.

To those who don't get it, good luck in the real world when you get there.

2. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    I missed this thread in my absence. Allow me to say a few things however...

In my opinion, the problems between "purists" and "completists" all boil down to a lack of respect for the others views. I find some of the interactions ironic, and similar to situations you see in daily life. It is a classic example of the minority versus the majority. The minority just wants to be who they are, and not treated as pariahs because of their beliefs. Most of the majority don't care what the minority believes, they just don't want it in their face all the time. The vocal minority of the minority wants to proclaim their beliefs to the heavens and force the majority to accept their beliefs. The vocal minority of the majority doesn't even want to acknowledge the existence of the minority. The vocal minorities of both groups contribute negatively to the views of their side.

Regarding specifics of the matter... The Star Wars movies are the universe of the set. The EU is a subset of the universe. (Okay, you may be able to find some who hate all the movies but love the books, but this is a very small population, so for the purposes of this post, they have been discarded as outliers.) Movie fans probably outnumber EU fans by at least 100 to 1.

By definition, a Star Wars fan is someone who has seen the movies and loves Star Wars for the most part. Among this group are OT fans, PT fans, and Saga fans. OT fans may not be big fans of the PT; and PT fans may not be big fans of the OT. Among this group of movie fans, not everyone will like the movies, but all have seen the movies. Saying that movie fans can't criticize a movie is just not practical or possible. The majority of fans who are critical of the movies aren't even EU fans.

If you read the EU, chances are you like it, or at least like the concept of it. There are dozens and dozens and dozens of books. If you've read most of them, you must like the EU. There are only 6 movies. It is far easier for people to see 6 movies than to read 100+ books, comics, RPG magazines, etc. If you're read most of the EU, and you aren't an EU fan, you should find something else to read.

I come at this issue from a very different point. I am an EU fan. I like the concept. I am a fan of the movies. However, that being said, there is a lot in the EU I don't like, and I think the OT is far superior to the PT. For me, Han will always shoot first, Vader will say "Bring my shuttle" instead of the stilted "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival", Boba Fett died in the Sarlacc Pit, and the Emperor did not return. I am the much reviled personal canonist. I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like. I am an equal opportunity critic. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.