main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Footie

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Benny_Blanco, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

2 weeks till the start of the season...........WOO-HOO!!!

No more turning to the back of the paper and seeing reports on golf,cricket,ice-hockey,etc....YAY!!!

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    come on you doooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssss

3. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    Cannae wait.

4. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

So who`s up for relegation this year? (if it happens this year)

Motherwell? Hibs?

5. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    who's NOT up for relegation ?
    PARTICK THISTLE

in fact, this could be the year we finish in the top half..... [face_deluded]

6. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002
    I dunno.....Partick didn`t do so well last season......

DUNDEE, on the other hand........

7. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    I say I say I say

Jeremy Beadle has a rather large tadger

but on the other hand, its quite small.........

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    thats terrible :eek:

but I couldn't stop laughing.

Don't ever buy a dwarf with a learning disability. Its not big, and its not clever.

9. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Scotish football. That makes me laugh

10. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    sez the Hull City supporter [face_laugh]

11. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    OI, Liverpool and Grimsby

12. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't see the amazement of watching 22 sweaty men chase a ball around for an hour and a half.

You could almost watch a Star Wars film in that time.

13. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    // fears for JediMasterGuff's long term mental health

the attraction of football ?

to put it in terms you might understand, the team an individual supports is, in their minds, like the rebels.
    The strikers are heroes like Han and Luke, the wingers are cunning strategists like Leia and Lando, and the defence is a mixture of dependable droids and brave x-wing pilots, while Chewie is the lanky maniac in goal.

Each week, they face various bad guys in a fight for survival.

In Scotland, the worst of these bad guys are Rangers FC , who are roughly analogous with the evil empire, as they are very accustomed to always winning, cos they've got huge technological resources and armies at their disposal.

anyway, each match is a battle, and you will only win if The Force is on your side, and your team is using it well.....at its best, watching these epic confrontations of good versus evil is nail-biting, heart-pounding stuff.

the one big difference between Star Wars and football, however, is that at the start of the game, you really do not know how it will end.

Imagine how exciting Star Wars would be if the ending changed every time you watched it?

14. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Tell me MrDankDonk, what's the difference between The Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Hoth.

Quite a lot.

What's the difference between Rangers vs Celtic at ibrox and Rangers vs Celtic at parkhead (that's where Celtic play isn't it?)

The answer, not a lot.

15. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    [face_plain]

oh dearie me.

and what, young fanboy, is the difference between yourself and an amusingly-named small fishing village in north-east scotland?

answer. not a lot.

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    That doesn't contribute much to an argument.

I'm expressing my opinion, nothing more.

17. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Your opinion appears to be that football fans are, in fact, wasting valuable time that could be more profitably spent watching and re-watching and re-re-watching the same 12 hours or so of film.

my opinion is there is more to life than star wars (and indeed all the passively consumed fantasy material I suspect you habitualy enjoy).

Life should be a varied mixture of experience. And that doesn't mean watching Buffy AND Angel in the same afternoon.

I would suggest that you pick a team to support and attend a few football matches, and then come back to this argument with some of the perspective you currently lack.

18. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I used to like football, I used to love it. I went to every Falkirk match, and geuss what. I got sick of it.

I've liked Star Wars for over 6 years now, fanatical about it since TPM came out. I'm not bored of that, yet after a few years, I got extremely bored of football.

I prefer digging deep into Star Wars, LOTR, teh Harry Potter books, and as you say Buffy/Angel.

The Star Wars universe is a vast one, especially if you do EU stuff.

And there is a lot more to Star Wars than there is football imho.

19. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    //whispers

star wars et al isn't real.

but I can understand a falkirk fan wanting to retreat into a fantasy world........

20. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    When did I say Star Wars was real?

21. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    if you realise that star wars isn't real, why oh why did you kick-off a ridiiculous argument claiming its superiority to the demonstrably real pastime of football ?

If you genuinely believe that re-watching the Battle of Hoth for the rest of your life will consistently generate a level of excitement comparable to a season's worth of scottish football, you truly have my sympathy.

it is simply not a like-for-like comparison, in my opinion, and I cannot imagine why you feel moved to enter an obviously football-orientated thread and embark upon such a line of reasoning.

should you not be across in Ep3 spoilers discussing lightsaber colors?

sorry to be so blunt, but, as a rule, the scottish board is not the best place to display a "star wars is my life" type atitude......

22. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    Rangers v Celtic could be a 1-0 tightly fought victory, then the next match between them could be a 4-0 drubbing. You never see the same game when you watch a match. Football is a great sport, and great social activity. People get into friendly banter with each other like me and dank did earlier.

Saying people would be better off watching star wars is stupid, maybe you would, but personally I wouldn't like to watch the same few films every weekend for 8 months of a year. No matter how much you liked them you would get bored.

23. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Again, not once have I said that Star Wars is my life. Yes, it plays a big part of my life, but there is a never ending supply of star wars stuff to be interested in, from EU and video games and stuff, I certaintly don't have to re-watch things over and over.

Personally, I'm sick of people going on about how Star Wars is crap and that I never do anything else, when there the ones playing/watching football every single night.

So really, there's no difference between being 'obsessed' with star wars and being 'obsessed' with football as so many people are.

24. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    where you on Big Brother 4, per chance???

25. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    "Contraversial"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.