main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~For Better or Worse~-- New Post! 7/23

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by val solo, Apr 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Whew! I've been away too long. This is a fic I've been working on for several months now. It's a sequel to an Obi-Wan story I posted last fall called "The General Defender." Here's the link if you're interested. It might help this story to make more sense for you.

The General Defender

To start, I'm going to post the epilogue from that first story before posting the new one. Hope you like it!

Title: For Better or Worse
    Author: valsolo
    Genre/Rating: Romance/adventure--- PG
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Epilogue---

Sari Zendar sat at her desk, her head throbbing with a dull ache due to the myriad of projects still needing to be graded before the end of the term. Lately, she hadn't been able to keep up with her school work like she had been before....... before him.

As the all too familiar knot began to form in her throat at the very thought of him, she struggled to hold back the tears. She was beginning to wonder when they would ever stop. All it took was for one student to ask if she'd heard from Jedi Kenobi, and the floodgates would be on the brink of bursting open. She'd reply, "Not yet," and then scurry off into the hallway until the feeling of despair was bearable again.

Wiping her eyes, Sari picked up her carry bag and carefully pulled out the most precious possession she owned--- his letter.

Not a day had gone by that she hadn't read it at least three times. During the first few weeks, though, it had been much more than that. The paper was pitifully crumpled and worn from all of the folding and unfolding, in addition to the few tears that had landed on it during the hundreds of readings. She kept hoping that by reading it again, she would find something new--- wishful thinking, she knew deep down, but each time she opened the paper, her heart lurched with the possibilities.

She began to read.

Her stomach turned as she realized how close she had been to absolute happiness. He had sensed her inner turmoil and loved her enough to give her up, keeping her from having to make such a hard decision. He had held her in his arms and thought of all they could have had together. Not a day had gone by since his departure that she didn't think of the same thing. While she had been sleeping on that fateful day, a dream had come to her, clearing her mind and showing her the path she should take. Only when she awoke, he was already gone leaving one handwritten letter in his place and no choice for her to make.

She had been devastated, angry, sad, depressed, and all of those other desperate emotions over the last two months. //Two months?// she asked herself. //Has it really been so long already?//

Sari had not tried to contact him, or rather she had not followed through with an attempt to contact him. She was too embarrassed or proud-- depending on how she felt that particular day. Several times she had thought about it-- even gone so far as to begin punching in the code number from one of Anakin's old messages-- but could never force herself to press the last key. She assumed that Obi-Wan probably preferred to forget all about her and Teemar... and their bond.

Again the tears began to flow. Was she destined to be miserable for the rest of her life? Surely not--- she hoped-- but how could she be anything else without him in her life?

A sudden surge of clarity rippled through her body and she straightened in her chair. This had to stop. She absolutely could not continue on like this. She must forget all about Obi-Wan Kenobi and get on with her life. He was nothing to her anymore.

//Then why are you still wearing that necklace and holding on to that ratty piece of paper?// her own inner voice questioned. She sighed as her finger moved to touch the glitterstone pendant around her neck. If she tried to insist that he meant nothing to her, then she was lying to herself. She loved him with all her heart.

"Oh well," she sighed again as she put the letter back int

2. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Okay, here it goes! :)

Part 1---

"Not again, Master!" Anakin Skywalker pleaded as he wiped the sweat dripping from his brow before it could trickle into his eyes.

"You'll do it until you get it right, Anakin," his master stated firmly.

The two Jedi set up for yet another training match. Anakin knew that handling a light saber was an area of weakness for him and that practice would only make him better. However, he doubted he would ever be as graceful and skilled with the ancient sword as was Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ever since Obi-Wan's return from the planet Teemar two months before, he had been a merciless taskmaster to his teenage padawan. Countless saber matches, hours upon endless hours of meditation--- it was pure torture! Anakin was beginning to think his master had gone over to the dark side.

The two began their parry in typical fashion with Obi-Wan pointing out Anakin's few strengths and many weaknesses in the art of light saber dueling.

"Anakin, you're swinging too wide."
    "Anakin, you're leading with the wrong foot."
    "Anakin, you're----"

"All right! All right!" the young man yelled as he stopped moving and powered down his saber. "I get the point! I'm no good with the saber. Geez! Give me a break!" Anakin turned away and mumbled under his breath. "No wonder you haven't heard from Sari. She probably doesn't want to have all of her flaws pointed out by a grumpy old nerfherder."

The minute the words were out of his mouth, Anakin could see the damage they had done by the pained look on Obi-Wan's face. The master stared off into space and shut down his saber.

"That's all for today. The rest of the afternoon is yours to do with as you please."

Anakin felt two inches tall.

"Obi-Wan, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to--"

"No," Obi-Wan cut him off. "You're right. I shouldn't be taking out my frustrations on you, padawan. It's an unfortunate situation that cannot be helped."

Obi-Wan turned and walked several feet away from Anakin. The boy couldn't help but notice how his master's demeanor had changed completely at the mention of Sari Zendar's name. The older man had not shared all of the details of his experience involving the teacher from Teemar, but Anakin knew that she had carved a very special place in Obi-Wan's heart..... and that his life without her was the cause of his unpleasant disposition of the last two months.

Obi-Wan lowered his head and sighed deeply as the thought of her entered his mind for the millionth time. Not a day went by that he didn't think of her and her beautiful smile. Despite his attempts at calming his emotions, that all too familiar lump in his throat swelled once again, and he had to get away from Anakin.

"Excuse me," he said, trying to avoid his padawan's eyes as he passed the boy on his way out of the exercise arena. "We'll meet later for meditation."

"Yeah, okay," Anakin conceded as he watched the retreating form of his master-- his friend. Seeing Obi-Wan like this broke Anakin's heart as well, for since he had left his mother, Obi-Wan had become his only family. Seeing the man's unhappiness lay heavily on the boy's mind.

"There's got to be something I can do for him," Anakin Skywalker determined. "If anyone deserves a little happiness, he does."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ma'am?"

"Hmm? What? Oh, yes, I'm sorry! You were saying?"

Sari Zendar forced herself to focus on the young man behind the ticket monitor as he rattled off her travel options one more time. Her mind kept wanting to drift away to thoughts of what she had heard last night at the school. By chance, she had found out that Chairman Calder, the principal of the school she taught at, had been involved in the kidnapping of many of her non-human students in an effort to sell them into slavery. Along with the new knowledge that he was planning on getting rid of her, she had also uncovered a plot to assassinate Jedi knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. Driving her now was th

3. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    These forums sure do fill up fast! Oh, well, here's another little piece, and hopefully this gets the ball rolling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    The tall, slender, blonde sat impatiently in the private office of the Supreme Chancellor. She could feel the gaze of the guards on her and had to stifle a chuckle. It was something she was used to. Everywhere she went, men of every species always stared admiringly at her. Her feminine attributes had served to escalate her position in life, and she wilingly used them at every opportunity. Men wanted her. Women wanted to be her. It was a burden she happily bore.

Now all of her hard work was coming to a head. She had been sought out by the Supreme Chancellor himself for a job she was sure would be her big break.

Purposely, she shifted her position in the chair and softly flipped her long locks over her shoulder with a shake of her head. Then she offered a flirtatious smile to the two guards standing outside of the Chancellor's door.

"Do you by chance have the time?"

Both men hastened clumsily to look at their chronos, wanting desperately to be the one to answer first. Again, Adara Lon stifled a laugh. These men were supposed to be the elite of the elite. They were trained to stand silent and unmoving for hours at a time, yet one glance from her and their training was thrown out of the window. She sighed. Power was intoxicating.

Just then, the Chancellor's door opened and there stood the most powerful man in the galaxy. The men tried to appear at attention, but he knew instantly that they had been distracted. They would be.... reprimanded later. He offered a smile to Adara and invited her into his office.

She stood to her full height, quite tall for a human female, straightened her tight-fitting dress, then walked past the guards offering a wink that left each of them thinking it had been just for him. Palpatine had to admit... she was good, which is exactly why he had chosen her for this job.

"Please sit down, Miss Lon," he offered as he pulled out a chair for her.

"Thank you, Chancellor."

He took a seat behind his large desk and paused before continuing. He studied her as she gazed around his office and took in all of its details. If he were a normal man, her beauty would render him helpless, he was sure. However, he was not just any man, and women offered little satisfaction for him. Ultimate power was his desire, and she would simply be one more tool to help him gain more control over the galaxy and all its people.

"I am sure you are wondering why I have summoned you here, Miss Lon," he began.

"Please, call me Adara," she interjected with another winning smile.

"Yes... Adara. I am in need of someone with your... abilities as a prosecutor."

"Anything for you, Chancellor," Adara replied as she leaned back in her seat. They were always in need of her 'abilities.'

The Chancellor went on to inform her of the case against Gustaf Perrin and his impending trial. Adara couldn't quite read the Chancellor's true feelings on the matter, so she kept listening intently for a clue.

"I want you to lead the prosecution against this man, Perrin. To do so, you will have to work closely with Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi knight who was involved in the downfall of the accused." He paused.

"I can do that, sir. However...," she leaned forward, "... why do I get the feeling there's more to this than you're telling me?"

Palpatine was shocked by her aggressiveness, yet he couln't help but admire her boldness. If she were a man or any other woman, her blatant assertions might have earned her a quick dismissal. He chuckled, and Adara thought it sounded like an evil cackle. A chill ran up her spine.

"You do not disappoint, Adara," he said. He had carefully researched her background and knew she was very ambitious, stopping at nothing to further her own purposes. Just his type. "I am trusting you with this case because it is of utmost importance to me. If you fail me, you'll be finished... and I don

4. McCord

McCord Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 1999
    Yeah, the sequel is here! Wonderful val solo!

::is excited::

5. Knight_Maria

Knight_Maria Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    *screeches and pounds fists on desk* The SEQUEL!!! I didn't think we'd get it! :D :D :D I'm SO HAPPY!!!

6. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    Up! Up I say! :D

7. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks for reading! Yes, I know it's been quite a while since the last story ended, but better late than never, right? Anyway, here's more. ;)

Part two--

"Amazing! Absolutely amazing!" Those were the only words Sari could think of as she peered out the viewport of the transport. They had cleared the planetary shields of Coruscant and were descending upon the center of the capital planet. Everywhere she looked stretched mile after mile of towering buildings, and the skies were saturated with so many different types of vehicles, most of which Sari had never seen the likes of ever before. All she had learned about Coruscant in her life was coming true right before her eyes, yet even all of that knowledge hadn't prepared her for the shock of such a place.

After waiting for an open landing pad, the transport finally set down, and all the passengers began departing for their various destinations. As Sari was walking down the exit ramp, she was almost knocked over by a rambunctious Quarren child. The little boy stopped quickly and apologized before taking off again. Sari just chuckled. She understood that children tended to get a bit excited at times.

"Oh, how abominable!" The voice came from behind Sari on the ramp, and she turned to see the speaker. It was a well dressed, elderly woman, and Sari thought that if she had her nose any further in the air, she might drown if it started to rain.

"I'll tell you the truth, these aliens are really becoming a problem. They have no respect for anyone or anything, I tell you. It's just horrible!" The woman had leaned in close to Sari and apparently expected the younger woman to share the same sentiments.

After recovering from the shock of the woman's blatant prejudice, Sari managed a short reply.

"He was just excited about being here... much like I am. You know, I've found that respect is a two way street-- if you give it, you usually get it back." Then she turned and continued on down the ramp.

"Well, I never--," was all the stunned woman could manage.

Sari had to chuckle under her breath. The poor manners of some people never ceased to amaze her.

She quickly found a hover cab and began the remaining leg of her journey to the Jedi temple. The taxi driver tried to make small talk and asked way too many questions.

"Are you a Jedi?"
    "Do you have family at the temple?'
    "You know, I once drove a Jedi---"

//Yeah, drove him insane most likely!// she thought to herself. She managed to answer yes or no from time to time while her mind drifted off to other places. At first she had been avidly taking in all of the surroundings they passed on their drive, but after a few minutes all of the buildings started melding together and she lost interest. That's when Obi-Wan crept in.

She knew she had to warn him, but after she did, then what? Having never been to Coruscant or many other places, she had no idea of where she would go. Maybe he would help her find a place to stay, or maybe even a job like he had suggested before. She snarled her nose as she looked out the window of the cab once more at the crowded city. Could she stand it here on Coruscant? Only time would tell.

"Well, here ya are, sweetheart--- the renowned Jedi temple. Are you sure you don't want to stop at a hotel first? I got a friend that owns a good one just a few blocks away."

"No, thank you. I... I'm not even sure how long I'll be on Coruscant," she replied casting her eyes down to the ground with a sigh.

"Well, enjoy your stay on our lovely planet." His last words sounded a bit sarcastic, but he had been pleasant enough. He helped Sari remove her bags and then took off in search of his next fare. Maybe, she thought as she stared after his cab, just maybe all of the stories she had heard about the capital planet and its cold-hearted citizens wasn't true after all.

"Hey!!" came a gruff female voice. "Why don't you get your junk out of the middle of the sidewalk!" A tall, rough looking woman w

8. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    Okay, I read this earlier, but never had time to comment, but I'm sad there's no new post for me tonight. :(

But I loved the last one!!! :D
    So Sari is finally in the Jedi temple. :)
    I wonder if Obi-Wan will be told she's there when he gets back, or if he'll have a surprise waiting for him!

And what does the council want I wonder.? ;)

I loved Anakin's thoughts on Sari! :D

MORE!!!!

9. McCord

McCord Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 1999
    Aw, Ani the Gentleman, how sweet. Am I wrong, or was that Yaddle that greeted Sari?

Loved it, want more soon! :)

10. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    That's who I thought it was... :)

11. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    Up! And STAY there!!! Me want a POST!!! :D

Come on people READ this!!! ;)

12. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Yay! Readers!! Thanks for stopping by!

You guys are good, about that Yaddle thing. ;) That's who I intended it to be at first, but then I thought, "What in the world would she be doing greeting people at the door?" So, it is someone like her though.

Anyhow, here's another piece. Enjoy!

"Jedi Kenobi, it's an honor to finally meet you in person!" Adara Lon rose from her chair and moved toward Obi-Wan Kenobi thrusting her hand into his. Just as he was beginning to shake it, she raised it up to him as if expecting him to kiss it.... but he didn't. He offered a kind smile, shook it firmly once and then gently let it drop. The blonde woman in front of him seemed a bit taken aback at his apparent unaffectedness, but quickly smiled a large, toothy smile to cover up her shock.

To him she was blindingly transparent.... so self-absorbed in her own beauty that she could scarce contain herself. True, outwardly she was dazzling and most men would gladly kiss a bantha just to have a minute of her attention. However, she didn't compare to the beauty, inside and out, of a short little brunette that he couldn't get out of his mind.

"Won't you sit down?" she offered motioning to a chair next to hers. He nodded his head in thanks and took a seat.

Adara began to speak, stating what she knew of the Perrin case up to this point. Every so often she would stop to ask for affirmation from the Jedi, and he would nod or offer a short answer. His head just wasn't into this endeavor. For the past couple of days, he had continued to have a nagging feeling at the back of his mind that something life-changing was going to happen to him soon. He had learned early on in his use of the Force, not to waste time guessing at all the possibilities such a premonition conjured up, but he couldn't help but hope that maybe it had something to do with Sari.

Even after two months, he hadn't been able to forget about her...... and truth be told, he didn't really want to forget her. Leaving her on Teemar had been for her own good so that she would not have to choose between him and everything else in her life. Still, they remained legally bonded even though he had told no one, not even Anakin. If she ever wanted to get on with that part of her life, she would have to contact him again.

//Only she probably hates me by now,// he admitted. After he had left, he realized what a coward he was when it came to matters of the heart. He had taken the easy way out, and if he ever did see her again, he wouldn't know what to say or how to act. She'd probably give him a smack, and rightly so.

He tried refocusing on the pretty young lawyer and what she was saying instead.

"So then, this....um.... S--Sa--,"

"Sari," he corrected.

"Yes, thank you, Jedi Kenobi. This Sari actually saw and spoke to Gustaf Perrin?"

"That's right."

"Hmmm... well, then this would appear to be an open and shut case. That is if we can locate this Sari in time to testify."

"Locate? What do you mean?" Now she had his full attention. "She lives on Teemar. Her address is listed in the case file, I'm sure."

Adara noticed the urgency in the Jedi's demeanor. He had not been very attentive to her during this meeting, and she did not like it when she was not the center of attention. She would enjoy 'sharing' this next bit of information with him.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed you would know. It seems that Miss Zendar is........ missing. Our office sent word to her. We even sent an agent to Teemar to talk to her and inform her of the necessity for her presence here on Coruscant."

Obi-Wan could feel a sense of dread gripping his heart.

"However, she was no where to be found. She hadn't reported to work. Her apartment was empty. Even her parents were contacted and they had no idea where she was either." Adara could sense the desperation in Kenobi. She could tell that he and this teacher must have gotten 'close' during their escapade. She rose from her seat and moved behind him

13. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    *pounds desk* You can NOT leave us THERE!!! Don't tease us!!! :) We wanna see Obi's reaction when he sees Sari!!! :D

MORE!!! PLLEEEAAAAASSSSSEE!!!! :p

14. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Okay, I have the next part written, but I want to tweak it a little. (Is that a word? ?:l

Hopefully, it'll be up in just a bit. :)

15. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Here we go! They meet again.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Whenever I see that door," Anakin motioned down the corridor, "I immediately prepare to be scolded. Of course, that could be because that's usually the only time I come here!" As he finished the last sentence, he offered a lopsided grin.

Sari chuckled. "So, you're in trouble a lot, eh?" He was definitely going to be a heartbreaker someday. It didn't hurt that he also had a healthy sense of humor to accompany his killer smile. Obi-Wan had shared some of his young padawan's past with her, and she found it inspiring that a boy who had gone through so much in such a short amount of time could still be such an optimist. It was refreshing.

As they approached the chamber entrance, a robed figure moved in front of them. Anakin offered a brief bow.

"I am Padawan Skywalker here upon request of the council with guest Sari Zendar."

//So formal!// Sari thought as the other figure nodded and moved to open the door. Anakin leaned down to whisper in her ear.

"There's a lot of that in this place," he said. Sari looked at him a bit confused trying to figure out what he was referring to. "Formality, I mean. Especially with these guys." He faced front and led her into the large circular room.

//How did he know---?// she wondered. Jedi were certainly an unpredictable sort.

Sari tried not to appear too amazed by what she saw, but knew she probably wasn't hiding it too well. The moment she set foot in the council chamber, a serious solemnity overwhelmed her. This was a sacred place..... a place of great wisdom and contemplation..... a place that held the moral fate of the galaxy within its walls.

//Whoa!// was all she could mutter to herself.

Anakin continued into the middle of the circular room. Twelve robed figures sat at even intervals in chairs of various styles all around its circumference. All eyes and minds were focused on her, and she felt as if her very soul was laid bare before them.

"Welcome, Miss Zendar." Sari turned to face the speaker. It was a tiny green man with elfen features. "Yoda I am. Graced by your presence the council is."

"Thank you.... sir," she replied, not knowing the proper way to address him.

"Jedi Yeedo informed us that you bring news of great importance for one of our own. Related to the Teemar kidnapping incident, is it?"

"Yes... yes, it is. Jedi knight Obi-Wan Kenobi is in grave danger. I felt I must come here in person to be sure the warning reached him in time."

The council went on to ask Sari questions about this threat. Anakin stayed right by her side listening intently and finding out more about his master with her every word. Although Obi had shared the basic story with his padawan, Anakin knew there was much more to tell. And besides, Obi-Wan was his family--- a strange mix between a father, a brother, and a best friend--- and any threat to his master was also a threat to him.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi could sense an urgency in the Force and something else.... a kind of flicker in the back of his mind that was pulling him as quickly as he could move back to the temple. Unfortunately, due to the 'thriftiness' of the Jedi, he was forced to use the public transport system of Coruscant. He managed to keep a rein on his cool, even though he did let slip a few curses under his breath each time the antiquated passenger car stopped to let people on or off.

The words of Adara Lon kept repeating over and over in his mind. Sari was missing. He knew that worry was not an emotion a Jedi should cater to, but try as he might, he couldn't knock the feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. The only thing he was certain of was that his life was about to change.
    When Sari was right in the middle of explaining the conversation she had overheard between Chairman Calder and the dark man, the council door unexpectedly swished open and in he strode.

16. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    AAAAAUUUGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sequel! This is the best thing that has happened to me this week! :D

17. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Glad I could bring some happiness into your life. :)

It's been rough for me this week. My beloved little dog, named after the Millenium Falcon, ran off and was hit by a car. It's like losing a member of your family, I tell ya. Writing has helped keep my mind off of it a little bit. However, I'm trying not to let my story become depressing even if that's how I feel.

I have a couple of different directions I could go with this, and I'm just trying to decide which would be best. Hope you all stick with me!

18. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    I'm so glad I found this sequel. :) I'm thoroughly enjoying the angst already. Feel free to toss in a sweaty lightsaber match or two. :D

19. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Jee-dai, you know me so well! Just something about a couple of muscular, good-looking, hard working men, isn't there? ;) Have a great day!

Adara Lon punched in the code for Chancellor Palpatine's private holo line. She didn't have much to report after her first day on the case, but she most certainly wasn't giving up yet. She had the utmost confidence in her own capabilities, and failure just wasn't an option.

His imposing figure blinked to life in front of her, and for just a moment she felt a jolt of fear.

"Miss Lon, I've been waiting for your call. How did it go today?"

"Chancellor Palpatine, I hope I'm not inconveniencing you at this late hour. I spoke with Obi-Wan Kenobi as you ordered. He doesn't know where she is either, of that I'm sure. However, I think I've stumbled onto something we hadn't expected." She was quite proud of her skills of deduction and hoped Palpatine would be equally impressed.

"What might that be?" he asked.

"I believe he and this teacher had some type of 'relationship' . He seemed very upset by the news that she was missing. I could sense his desperation as soon as he heard it." She watched the chancellor while he contemplated this bit of information. Shadows seemed to dance across his aging face causing him to appear almost ghost-like. Adara shivered at the sight.

"Is that all?" he finally said with a slight twinge of contempt.

Adara shifted uneasily in her seat. "For now, my lord. I believe I can use this news to help further our purpose."

"I'm glad you can be so confident, Miss Lon. I look forward to your next call and the better report I'm sure you'll provide. Good night." The image dissipated leaving Adara staring at blank space. This was not starting out very well at all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Despite her protests, Obi-Wan insisted that Sari stay in his apartment. It was the only way for him to effectively do his 'duty'.

"It's late, and it will be better if I can be close by. I'll stay in Anakin's room right next door. Tomorrow we can see about other arrangements... if you want."

Against the better judgement of her all-too-practical mind, she aquiesced. She was getting tired and the thought of trying to find a hotel room at this hour wasn't too attractive. However, the thought of sleeping in his bed, even alone, was causing nervous flutters in her stomach. //He's only doing all of this because he was forced to. It's his *job*, Sari. Just remember that.//

Sari sat down on the couch and tried to relax while he moved into the kitchen to fix her a calming cup of warm kaffe. She felt drawn to watch his every move, being sure to look away if he glanced over. A couple of times he did catch her looking, and she quickly picked up a holomag from his end table and tried to look 'busy'.

He turned away and grinned to himself. //What is she doing?//

"I don't mean to put you through all of this trouble. Just because I came here doesn't mean that I expect you to turn your life upside down for me. I am a grown woman, you know. I can take care of myself."

Obi-Wan joined her in the living room and carefully placed the hot cup in her hand. Then he settled in next to her on the couch, safely at the opposite end. "I know you are capable of taking care of yourself, but this is different. If the council thinks it important enough to ensure your safety, then I'm going to trust their instincts. I happen to think there is more to this whole thing then either of us knows."

"What do you mean?" she asked in between sips, the hair on the back of her neck rising along with a chill that ran up her spine.

"I'm not sure... not yet anyway. It's just a feeling I have." Obi cursed himself for opening his mouth. He could sense her stress level rising once again, which is exactly what he was trying to avoid. He knew she was tired, physically and mentally, way too tired to deal with anymore of this craziness for the time being. But

20. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    *claps* YAY!!! Great posts, Val!!! :D

21. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    REPLY people! I want a POST!!!

*sigh* And now I can't go on again until saturday, if then due to my sister and brother coming home. :p *Groan* Oh well, I just hope there are LOTS of posts waiting for me when I get on again!!! :D

22. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    I actually got on for a minuite, and there's NO new POSTS!!! *sigh*

UP!
    And more please Val!!! :)

23. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Sorry to disappoint you, Knight Maria! Yesterday was a very busy day around here. Hope you'll forgive me. Anyway, here's a little fix to get you through the day. I'm planning on having another post up later, if all goes well. ;)

"Tell me about her." Anakin plopped down into his overstuffed chair, the most comfortable thing in his tiny dwelling, and looked expectantly at his master and friend. Obi-Wan Kenobi worked to arrange his makeshift bed on Anakin's couch, hoping to show that he didn't want to have this conversation.

"I've already told you about her."

Anakin's brow wrinkled. "No you haven't... not really. You've only told me what you want me to know."

"Which is as it should be."

"Oh, no! Not this time. I know there's more to you guys than you've told me, and now I want you to spill it all. Hey, I can handle it. I'm a big boy now." Obi-Wan chuckled at his padawan's manipulation and hoped that he would only use his persuasive powers for the light side. Still, the young master stayed silent in contemplation.

"I mean, it's so obvious to anyone who looks at you two that you're nuts about each other." He paused for emphasis. "Even the council could tell."

Obi-Wan snapped his head up and looked as if he'd just received the biggest shock of his life. "Yeah, they could tell, too, Obi-Wan, so you may as well tell me the whole story."

Obi-Wan tried to play down his feelings and went back to folding his sheet. "There's really nothing to tell, Anakin. Sari is a wonderful person in every way. She cares about others and has a purpose in her life. She's intelligent, witty, brave----"

"And pretty," Anakin added waiting for a reaction from his master.

"Yes," Obi-Wan blushed, careful to avoid his padawan's gaze, "yes, she is.... very beautiful."

"And you like her, and she likes you, so what's the problem? You're both adults, right?"

"If only it were so simple," Obi sighed, "but it's not. I've made a vow to be a Jedi and to train you. It would be selfish to toss aside my responsibilities and leave a job unfinished."

Anakin was surprisingly quiet, yet his master could see that he was organizing all of the information into something he was himself just beginning to understand. Life as a Jedi was simple, yet extremely complicated.

"So then if you decided to have a relationship with Sari, would that mean that you couldn't train me anymore?" Anakin's emotions were conflicting. He desperately wanted Obi-Wan to finish training him to be a Jedi. However, in his heart, he also wanted his friend to have a little happiness for himself. If the two couldn't go together, he wasn't sure which option he would prefer.

"Most likely that would be the outcome." Obi-Wan looked at his padawan with love in his eyes. He could sense Anakin's feeling of injustice... or was that his own?

"I don't understand why you would have to choose like that. It doesn't seem fair."

"Fairness has nothing to do with it, Anakin.... nothing at all."

Anakin sensed that his friend was finished talking for now, so he bid him goodnight and retired to his own bedroom. Somehow he felt like this was all his fault, and it was up to him to fix it.

24. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    I love this story so much! I hope there is a new post up tonight! :D

25. Knight_Maria

Jan 4, 2001
    :Cheers:

YAY! Poor Obi-Wan...such a difficult situation!

And poor Ani for wanting his master to be happy, but not sure if he wants to risk his future for it. :(

And poor Sari for being stuck in all this!

Hopeing for a post tonight! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.