main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

For Readers of my "Shadows of Conflict," I Need Help Naming a Character

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ty-gon Jinn, Aug 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Okay, I have both a request for information and one for help.

First, I need some help naming an alien. I know this has been discussed on a thousand other threads, but I'm still stuck. How does one go about naming a Hutt? I'm open to name suggestions.

Secondly, do the Hutts have an organized government? Is there a leader of their "Gang"? What's his title? Or should I just use, say, the president or prime minister of Varl?

Okay, please reply if you read my story. I'll give you full credit for your name if I use it. Thanks to all!

2. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Well, I went and did some research, ultimately taking me to starwars.com, and there is absolutely no mentioning of centralized government. Now, there was a big fuss about Zorba the Hutt being the Hutt, but more research and the job title of that position will have to be done.

As for names? Well, names with double letters somewhere in them help (Jabba a good example). I have a Hutt in my own fics named Yabbula(which of course is a slight varient of Jabba.)

I would try Cagger, Dungo, Fredora, Cadonno, or Nuevo. See if they work.

3. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Hutt's actually have a crude sort of democracy system, according to the Young Han Solo trilogy. the Hutts are divided up into different clans, or 'Desiljics' I believe they're called. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) It's sort of like competing mob families.

In any case, the desiljics all meet together in a form of council. The leaders of each clan acts as the representative. The family with the most money and power leads the desiljic councils.

Now for names. To add on to what Casper said, if it has an 'o' or an 'a' on the end it usually works. And something percussive sounding, like Gerdango or Moltauba.

Hope that helps. :D

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    well, you have several options, Ty-Gon. You can twist some of your friends names around (I always do), or use a popular names and spell it weird.

Since it's like a mob, Tonni the hut, Godfather the Hutt, Pizza the Hutt... Pachino the Hutt... (ignore me...) ;)

5. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Hutt names always sound "fat," like Gardulla, or "Slimy," like Durga.

Names with a 'u' sound especially Huttese to me, for example:

Murga, Yurga, Zulla, Rulba, Tulga. (for some reason those all sound familiar.)

others: Bagga, Golla, Slavva, Magga.

6. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks for all the help, Casper, Rok, Miana, and _Alderaan. I'm in the process of writing the first encounter with the Hutts, but while I will be using a Hutt name from this thread, I prefer to let the reader be surprised with which one I choose. I'll give you all credit for the help.

Onto one more issue-

As are all important Hutts, this character will be "perpetually surrounded by an entourage of sycophants." Besides Twi'leks, which aliens make good Hutt aides?

BTW, _Alderaan, I recognize you from here on the Writer's Resource board, but not so much from my circles on the Fan Fiction Board proper. If you'd like, I can PM you the link to my story.

7. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Okay, one last up for this thread, for I am going to lock it. Maybe later I'll make a Shadows of Conflict Update and Planning Thread.

Big happenings on the Advent of War tonight, you might want to go check it out.

And Darth Ishtar and I have swapped- I've already posted on "Wayward Beings" and I'm saving her post for "The Past Rediscovered."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.