main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga For the Republic - Bail Organa ~ Diary Challenge '09 - Updated 2/28

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Title: For the Republic
    Author: Qui-Gon Reborn
    Timeframe: Between AOTC and ROTS
    Characters: Bail Organa
    Genre: Diary
    Summary: Bail Organa is living in a galaxy of shattered hopes and the death of an ideal.
    Disclaimer: This galaxy belongs to George Lucas. I'm just comin' along for the ride.

ENTRY 1

I believe in the Republic.

All around me, swimming in an eternal ocean of changeless time and timeless change, there are hills of good and hills of evil. Those who live only to seize what others have died for, and those who give their lives so others may continue.

The Republic is more than simply a government. It is an ideal, symbolizing civilization at its proudest moment, when it can cast aside petty intolerances and high-minded greed and come together to function as one.

And the Republic is dying.

We are at war. The universal peace that transcended distance and time, such that it seemed invincible, is dead. It was crushed beneath the avalanche that swept through the silent streets of Coruscant, echoing the exultation that greeted the announcement of the Chancellor?s emergency powers. It was burned on the funeral pyres of the Jedi who were shot to pieces on Geonosis. And it was trampled beneath the sterile white boots of the clone army -- our clone army - as they marched in faceless ranks toward a faceless enemy.

The people of the once-proud Republic are ready for war; they are steeled for revenge. They hunger for it.

A part of me wishes to succumb to that desire to destroy those who infringed upon our right to live in peace. The other part of me is wondering what I have become.

But when blood-red dust of Geonosis has finally settled, and the people grow tired of war and of waiting, what will become of our Republic?

But the Republic is all but dead.

[hr]

[face_alien_1] Comments?

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    hmmm... don't normally see my from bail. you're picking an interesting cast to write these with snips.

keep up the good work, i definitely look forward to them.

:snoopy

3. LASOS

LASOS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2008
    This is a really great start. Bail Organa is one of my favorite characters.

If you're doing PM's, I'd love to be on the list.

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    ENTRY 2

Communication is the surest form of tragedy. The act of exchanging thoughts through expression represents our fundamental inability to understand one another. Action is the quickest way to make a mess out of a good thing, but words are the most destructive.

Years ago, if you would?ve asked me who I was, and what the purpose of my life was, I would have answered without a shred of doubt, from the bottom of my heart, that I am Senator Bail Organa, servant to the Republic. Now...

Now I cannot walk the streets of my own beloved Alderaan without being subjected to cruel, shame-ridden glances the and soft mutterings of ?politician? and ?traitor.? These words shatter my heart, and are an affront to the very core of my existence. That the citizens of the galaxy that they were born to inhabit freely should trust their government and confide in its positive intent is central to the philosophy of the Republic. But how can beings confide in a government they hardly know if they can?t even confide in themselves? No one is as they seem, nothing is pure and untouched like it used to be.

I should be angry. I am not. My heart aches with a searing pain that anger cannot breach, and that love cannot pacify. Only if peace descends upon the land that I love can I truly be happy again.

For now, that seems nigh impossible.

Despair is a grievous sin to all that is good and right.

But what is good and right in a galaxy that has gone dark?

[hr]

[face_alien_1] Commments?

5. UnderCoverJedi

UnderCoverJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2006
    Very well done. =D=

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    ENTRY 3

I cannot pretend to understand the Jedi. I don?t think there?s anyone who truly can comprehend what a Jedi perceives, catch the tiniest glimpse of what a Jedi may see, run their fingers through the soil of a thousand worlds and feel the warmth of a million suns upon their back as does a knight of that ancient Order.

But I have fought among Jedi, seen my own blood upon the blade of another being with the Jedi, seen them die and grieve and rage and laugh as does any man.

Then why are they hated so, even as the war continues?

I have heard Chancellor Palpatine say time and again that the populace needs heroes to keep their spirits alive, and, at those times, the Jedi, particularly Kenobi and young Skywalker, are hailed as the liberators that they are. But, as soon as this is done, the desire to confide in the Jedi, is swept out from under the feet of the citizens of the Republic, and they turn to hatred, to fury.

It is only natural for all beings to fear what they do not understand. That property is of our most primal of instincts, and it has maintained our life and our basic security for countless millennia. But to love one minute and to fear another, and to do so with such haste?it seems almost?unnatural.

Palpatine seems to understand this quality with a fierce wisdom that I fail to grasp. Perhaps I should seek his council in this matter.

But how can I rightfully do this when?when I do not trust him?

[hr]

[face_alien_1] Comments?

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    very nicely done rox, on both. i DID read the last update... i just forgot to post on them.

and bail is right, communication is something of a tragedy... as it seems to breakdown so thoroughly.

interesting perspective on the other one, about how something can be so loved and then reviled at the flip of a switch... not something i've ever really considered.

great job again.

:snoopy

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    ENTRY 4

There was a time, though I can scarcely remember it, where I would have had no fear of speaking from my heart. It is true that my memory of such an instance in our great history has been clogged and battered by the mirrored illusion which we now must wallow amidst, but I am certain it was once true. A servant of our Republic would be honored to speak what he believed and what he held as true for our society. And those words would be embraced, welcomed, cherished.

But gone is that time. Gone is that freedom. Now I cannot hope to speak my mind without being looked up as the traitor that I must now be.

And now that I have decided that I will do what I must, there is no going back. I shall say what must be said, do what must be done.

The root of the fatal corruption that has twisted our galaxy lies in our leadership. Not only in the Senate as a whole, but in its leader, as well.

Palpatine.

A great man, they say. A kind man, a true friend of the Republic. But if I have learned anything over the course of my years of service, it is that nothing is, and ever will be, as it seems. And Palpatine cannot be what he seems.

[hr]

[face_alien_1] Comments?

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    ENTRY 5

My heart is heavy. My hands are trembling, so that I can barely hold the holo recorder between my two palms. My head spins with the sickness that I beheld today.

I was always somewhat?uncertain about Supreme Chancellor Valorum. Of course, he came from a politically influential family, a clan of giants, and that imbedded his persona with a aura of authority that I never thought was very healthy for the corruption-ridden Senate. But he was a good, honest man, who clearly wanted nothing more than what was good for all beings. Never a mendacious word, never a malicious glance.

And now...

...he?s gone.

Dead, at the hands of some mindless terror.

Palpatine calls this an act of random terrorism. But why commit such an act against one who no longer means anything to the governing body of the Republic? He had been cut down, disgraced, virtually eliminated from the vast panorama of the Galactic Republic. Why murder such a man?

Unless...

Dare I say it? Dare I think such a thing?

[hr]

[face_alien_1] Comments?

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    ENTRY 5

Today marks the passing of the fifteenth ?Security Provision Act? in two weeks. Palpatine says it?s for the greater good, so that the women and children of Coruscant will be protected from the mindless acts of terrorism that incite such fear into the good people of the Republic.

Always the women and children! Always the vulnerable and weak!

Why don?t they come after me instead? Me, a politician, an instrument of war as much as anyone?

I suppose it?s the term ?Security Provision? that is?concerning me. Are we to sacrifice our very basic rights to liberty for a base sense of security that has no root in reality?

[hr]

[face_alien_1] Comments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.