main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Forbidden Legacy: In This Storm - Tahl/Qui-Gon - AU/Romance/Action/Angst - UPDATE 12/5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediXManSerenaKenobi, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    JediLuminaraUnduli: Yeah Qui-Gon! And I've never liked Jocasta. Thanks!!

Obi-Gon_Skywalker: Glad you're hooked. Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64: Definitely awkward. But that's fun to write. Thanks for reading!

Jedi-Gon: No, he really hasn't. Poor Qui, just trying to help. Glad you liked Qui's entrance and Tahl's sparring with Nu. I got my impression of Nu from AOTC, where she seemed to be very haughty and holier-than-thou. I, for one, have never liked her, but here I'm kinda portraying her as a little sadistic. I'd love to add you to the PM list!

Quietman77: Well, we're in the same boat, my friend, because I don't know anything about Tahl other than what I've read about her on Wookiepedia. This is a shot in the dark. But I'm really glad you like the story, and I'd love to put you on the PM list. Oh, and you don't have to write out my whole penname - I'm regretting doing that now. Serena is fine.

KELIA: It'll take a while for him to help Tahl out of her bitter, angry shell. Oh, well, maybe love is in the air! I'm not feeling very sorry for Jocasta right now... but oh well!! Thanks, Kelia!

Next postie sometime soon... hopefully...

- Serena

2. qui-gon_and_tahl

qui-gon_and_tahl Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2007
    Great story! Please add me to the PM list. Update soon, please! :D

3. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    qui-gon_and_tahl: Great story! Please add me to the PM list. Update soon, please!

Thanks!! I'll try to update more now that my novel is DONE!!!! YAYA!! Now all I have to do is the editing... and then it's off to the agents!!

Thanks for waiting, everyone. Sorry!!
    - Serena

4. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Very interesting story. I love how you portray Tahl and her defiance in coping with her blindness. And the meeting with Qui-Gon... [face_love]

Please add me to the update pm's as well!

5. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Seremela: Thank you! I'm glad you like my portrayal of Tahl. And the meeting with Qui-Gon. ;)
    More of that coming up.

6. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Yes, yes, I know I haven't updated ANY of my stories in months. But I've been hit with a wave of work and have had little time to write my stories. Please forgive me! But here is the next chapter in any case. Hope you like it!

- Serena

The man halted mid-step.

?Oh? Force,? he murmured. ?I apologize if I?ve offended you.?

Tahl sighed. He did sound sincere. ?No, it?s not your fault,? she said grudgingly. ?You didn?t know.?

?But I should?ve been more careful about my speech,? he protested.

She smirked. ?Yeah, you should?ve.?

She felt a vibration under her fingers and realized that he was laughing. He began to walk again at a steady pace, ignoring the fact that he had no idea where her apartment was located. ?What?s so funny?? she snapped.

?You,? he chuckled.

Tahl?s mouth fell open. ?You?re laughing at me??

?No, no! Not at you. Just? I?ve never met a Jedi quite like you before.?

?I?m sure you haven?t,? she snarled. ?Most Jedi can actually see.?

He sighed. ?Forgive me. Perhaps we should start over.? He raised his voice slightly and called, ?Good afternoon, Master Windu.? Lowering his voice to normal, he said, ?May I ask your name??

?Yes.? Tahl didn?t say anything else.

?Well, what is your name??

?I said you could ask my name. I never said I?d give it. My quarters are on the fifth level in section B4, room 211. Just drop me off there, please.?

He fell silent for a long moment. ?Very well,? he said slowly. ?I will not prod you for personal information, however much I wish to.?

She nodded but didn?t say anything else. [i]Just leave me alone. Everyone else does. Just please, leave me alone.
    [/i]
    ?But you might give me some hints,? he said after a moment.

Tahl found herself stunned into silence. ?No!? she finally exclaimed. ?I thought you said you weren?t going to prod!?

?I?m not. I?m suggesting that you give me some hints,? he protested. ?It?s quite different. Good day, Knight Swan,? he said to someone else.

Tahl shook her head. ?No hints,? she snapped. ?Nothing. I?m not going to see you again after this, so it doesn?t matter.?

?Fine,? he said nonchalantly, ?I?ll just ask Master Nu.?

Tahl growled, ?You do, and I will find you and hack you down myself. Why can?t you just drop the subject??

?Well, well, well, aren?t we touchy?? he sang in a slightly mocking tone. ?I just want to know your name. What is so hard about that??

?Why do you want to know?? she demanded coldly. ?Why do you even care??

?Why wouldn?t I care?? he shot back.

?Don?t answer my question with a question!?

?You did.?

She opened her mouth, closed it, and spluttered, ?That?s not the point! The point is that I don?t want people feeling sorry for me and treating me like an inferior!?

?I?m not treating you like an inferior,? he soothed. ?I?m just lending a helping hand.?

?You?re lending two,? she hissed, pulling back. ?And I didn?t ask for help, did I??

He let out a frustrated groan. ?So we?re back on this, are we??

?Listen,? Tahl said, ?if you want to know my name so badly, why don?t you give me yours first??

[i]Ha. Take that.[/i]

But unfortunately, that didn?t work.

?No,? he said in a false apologetic tone, causing her anger to increase. ?I?m not going to give you my name until I get your name first.?

?I don?t care what your name is!? she said, annoyed. ?I just don?t want you knowing mine.?

?Why not?? he asked curiously. He shifted to press the lift button, and after a moment, they stepped in. Tahl heard a light gasp of shock and wondered who else happened to be in the life with them.
    [i]
    Oh Force, what we must look like![/i]

?Nice day, isn?t it?? Tahl?s mysterious keeper said in a jovial tone to whoever was in the lift.

?Er, yes,? replied a hesitant female voice. ?Um, may I ask what?s going on, here??

Tahl could feel the young man nod. ?Yes, of course you can,? he replied. But he fell silent after that, and Tahl felt the urge to roll her eyes. Allowing her mind to reach out, she sent, Y[i]ou?re stealing

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Yes, you've captured Qui-Gon's voice quite well.

=D=

8. JediLuminaraUnduli

JediLuminaraUnduli Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2008
    Oh, that made me laugh! Poor Tahl! (Or, I should say, poor Qui!) They?ll be the talk of the Temple for the next two weeks, yessirree.. Nice ending there! I can?t wait for the next update!!!

Great job!=D=

-Miks

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Well, you see, I?ve decided to break the Code and get married. We?re on our way to the honeymoon suite right now.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I loved Qui-Gon's warped sense of humor!

The banter was great!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] =D=

Their banter is GREAT! I don't know Tahl (yet, I'm after the books), but she comes over so fiercely independant and self-reliant here - and from the little I know of her that's exactly how I imagined her! Also, although she clearly doesn't like that she's blind (the line 'Just leave me alone. Everyone else does. Just please, leave me alone' is so very poignant, hidden in all the fun) she doesn't come over as self-absorbed and full of self-pity; there's too much hard humor in her for that. I love the balance you mention to strike in your characterization of her.

[face_laugh] And Qui-Gon, oh Qui-Gon! I think you have pinned him just right actually. Like you say, he's so unconventional when older, but not only that, there's humor underneath what he says and does, quiet smiles as if he's having fun about something. At least that's how I see him and so I can see this very much as well, lots of humor in an outrageous way!

Loved it all, but these parts made me howl:

And then it ends so sweet [face_love]

More please!

11. Jedi-Gon

Jedi-Gon Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2007
    *climbs up off of the floor, trying to stop laughing* That was amazing! Unconventional indeed! Oh, poor, poor Tahl... Not exactly how I pictured a young Qui-Gon, but it definitely makes sense - I like it. The banter between the two is priceless. *sigh* Some things never change... Can't wait to see another update! Keep up the amazing work!

12. AniLaminara

AniLaminara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2008
    Please update. I'm liking it so far. It's very good, especially on how you portray the archivist as a mean old krayt dragon! [face_laugh]

Do your best on the next one!

- A -

13. JediLuminaraUnduli

Jul 12, 2008
  14. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    VaderLVR64 : Thank you! [face_blush] I'm always pleased to hear my characterization is doing well. Hope I can keep it up.

JediLuminaraUnduli
    : The talk of the Temple indeed - I'm feeling for Tahl right now, though! Qui's being a brat - but I think he's like that. Defying the Temple as an older man made me think that he must've been a character as a young guy. Thanks as always, Miks!

KELIA : Thanks, Kelia! Glad you liked the banter and Qui's sense of humor. I'll try to keep it going.

Seremela : Thanks so much! Honestly, I've never read any books with Tahl, so I'm making it up as I go along - harder to do when I don't really know her true character, but oh well. I'm glad she's how you imagined her, and I'll try to keep the balance of independence and poignancy going throughout the story. The last thing I want is for Tahl to be all weepy-weepy and dependent on Qui-Gon, because even though she's blind, she can work through it.

As for our dear Qui-Gon... yes, I've made him very unconventional - perhaps too much so - but if he is the way he is as an old dude, I'm gonna make him even more so to match his youthful energy.

I'm glad you liked the funny parts! Humor always lightens a story, or else it gets too depressing. And why do people want to be depressed when reading fanfiction? :D

Jedi-Gon
    : I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for reading! :)

AniLaminara : Glad you like it, AL. I've never liked Jocasta, especially because she's so snooty to dear Obi-Wan, so I made her a little more krayt-dragonish than usual. Love your signature, btw!

JediLuminaraUnduli
    : Working on it, Miks! Thanks for nudging me, though. I'm writing the next chapter right now.

15. JediLuminaraUnduli

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_blush] :p Good luck!!

-M

16. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    All right, this has been way too long. So sorry, everyone! I'm just about done with the first draft of my book, so I've progress on that front. Yay!

This whole story, I think, is inspired by the song "Somethin' To Talk About." It just fits it so well!

And this chapter is dedicated to Mikki, a fellow Qui/Tahl fan and nerd! You're the best, Miks! :) [:D]

- Serena

A few days after the embarrassing incident with the mysterious Qui-Gon Jinn, Tahl sat, inserting files into the archive, brooding. She was still glowering over the whole affair and hoped never to see that horrible man again.
    [i]
    I can?t believe he actually said that. Did that to me ? humiliating me in front of other people! What kind of Jedi is he? [/i]

?Hello, Tahl.?

But Tahl wasn?t listening.

[i]If I see his annoying face again? kriff, I can?t see his face! If I hear him, I?m going to Force push him all the way across the room.[/i]

?Tahl??

[i]He?s an arrogant, insufferable?[/i]

?Tahl!?

Tahl jumped and grabbed the archive shelf as a hand reached out and touched her shoulder. ?By the Force, Adi,? she breathed, ?you startled me.?

?I called your name three times,? Adi told her in a confused voice. ?Are you all right??

Tahl sighed and nodded. ?Yeah. I must?ve spaced out.? [i]Or been grousing about a particular Jedi Knight?[/i]

?You did seem deep in thought,? Adi said. Tahl could tell she was smiling. ?Are you sure everything?s okay??

?Yeah.? No.

?Good, because I wanted to know if you wanted to get some lunch. I don?t know if you want the company or not, but I?d be happy to take you.?

Tahl, touched by her thoughtfulness, smiled. ?Thanks, Adi. I appreciate it.? But do I want to be stared at by everyone? ?But I?m afraid I?ll have to decline,? she said, regretting the words as she spoke them. ?I don?t? um? I prefer the quiet now.?

Adi was silent for a moment. Finally, she said in a gentle tone, ?Tahl, I know you must feel embarrassed because of your eyes. But there have been blind Jedi before ? it?s not uncommon- ?

?Yes, it is,? Tahl interrupted. ?I just? I?m sorry, Adi. I just don?t want to be stared at ? and I can feel their eyes on me. I just know it. They look at me like I?m some freak.?

?Tahl,? Adi said, sounding incredulous, ?We live in a world full of strange looking creatures. One beautiful blind woman isn?t going to attract attention. If anyone?s staring ? it?ll be men because you?re so gorgeous. And your eyes still look the same ? and they?re stunning.?

Tahl sighed. ?Adi? really, I don?t??

?I won?t take no for an answer,? Adi said firmly, and she took Tahl?s hand and helped her to her feet. ?Now, I?ll make a deal with you. Once we get a table, after ten minutes, if you still feel uncomfortable, then I?ll take you back and we?ll eat here.?

?Master Nu would have a fit if we did that,? Tahl said dryly.

?Honestly, do you care?? Adi said with a giggle.

Tahl found herself smiling. Adi was incorrigible. ?Of course not. But I just??

Adi tugged Tahl?s arm. ?Come on, Tahl, it?ll be fine. Just trust me, all right??

Tahl sighed. ?All right, all right! I?m coming!? She couldn?t help it ? a grin crept across her face at Adi?s antics. She?d seen Adi around before, but she?d never gotten the chance to really talk with her. Now that she was blind, Adi seemed to be coming around more often. Tahl hoped it wasn?t out of duty or because Adi felt sorry for her. As the two of them headed to the mess hall, Tahl said, hesitant, ?Um, Adi? you?re not doing this because you feel sorry for me, are you?? She was afraid of the answer, but she had to know.

Adi snorted. ?Of course not, silly.? She squeezed Tahl?s arm in a friendly way. ?I?m doing this because I?m your friend and I want to cheer you. That is-? Her voice became shy and hesitant ? ?if you want to be friends.?

Tahl smiled. ?I?d love nothing better, Adi. Thank you.?

?You?re welcome, Tahl.?

A few minutes later, a throat cleared in front of the two of them, and Adi halted. ?Yes, Master Koon??

Tahl frowned. What did he want?

?Uh, I?m sorry, ladies, but

17. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Hello there,? said Qui-Gon Jinn in a good-humored tone. ?Is this seat taken??

oh boy, I have feeling things are about to get very interesting!!

I hope Tahl will come to realize the Jedi don't think she is a freak because she is blind.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

18. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_dancing] YEEEAAAH!!! AN UPDATE!!!!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] And what an update it is, Serena. Tahl's inner thoughts are hilarious! They really take off with her, don't they? [face_laugh]

And setting master Koon on Qui-Gon, oi... [face_devil]

I loved how despite herself she started to think about the good things Qui did as well. Loved when Adi was so surprised when she heard poor Tahl had been 'manhandled' by none other than Qui-Gon.

I so agree [face_love]

And Adi is a great friend, I'm glad she gets Tahl to come with her. Tahl needs that.

:eek: How... how CAN you stop there??? Cruel! [face_shame_on_you]

19. JediLuminaraUnduli

Jul 12, 2008
    Tahl smiled a slow, almost wicked smile. ?Qui-Gon Jinn.? Oh, this will be good.

*snickers* Oh yes, yes it will.

:eek: Oh noes!! You can't stop there!!! Update, update!! *rushy* Pweasey pweasey!!

-Miks

20. Obi-Gon_Skywalker

Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

May 25, 2008
    Evil cliffie! But great chapter :D. This was so worth the wait. Can't wait to see what happens next! *hint hint* :p

21. Jedi-Gon

Jedi-Gon Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2007

:D:D:D

I just want you to know, I'm grinning like a maniac right now. My sisters are looking at me weird.

That was amazing! Haha, Tahl is secretly falling for dear 'ol Qui. I love it! Rectify this cliffy soon!!!!!!!!!

Update!

22. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    [face_love] *sigh*

Tahl has no idea how lucky she is...

Can you put me on the PM list please? Thank you, and write more Qui-Gon yumminess soon please!

23. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    KELIA: I think your feeling is right! Tahl's got a ways to go... but maybe someone can help her with her self-doubts. :D Thanks as always for reading! [:D]

Seremela: Yes, I'm cruel. But I'm already in the process of writing the next chapter, so it won't be too long! :) Glad you like Tahl's inner thoughts. For some reason, I really like to get into my characters heads and write what they're thinking, their internal debates, etc. Thanks for reading!!

Miks: Hurrying, hurrying! Getting right on it, sir! *salutes* :D

Obi-Gon_Skywalker: Er, yeah, it's evil. But I'm updating soon, so never fear! :)

Jedi-Gon: LOL! Now you're making me grin. And yes, she's falling for Qui-Gon... she just doesn't know it yet. :D

Ubersue: No, she really doesn't. Not yet, anyway... hehehee. I'd love to add you to the PM list! Thanks for reading! :)

I am writing the next chapter which should be up soon. Thanks for waiting, everyone!

- Serena

24. Jaidyn_Knightfall

Jaidyn_Knightfall Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2008
    How on earth did I miss this?:eek:

This is great, Serena. I almost fell off my chair laughing during a couple parts. Qui-Gon is great, and I can imagine him teasing Tahl like that.

I haven't read very much about Tahl either, but I like how you portray her. Please update soon!

25. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks so much, Jaidyn! :)

Next post coming soon, everyone! Thanks so much for waiting.

- Serena

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.