main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Force projection & places strong with the Force & Safe connection

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BigAl6ft6, Jul 23, 2019.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So stumbling upon Rebels wherein Yoda's voice shows up for Kanan and Ezra in the Jedi Temple on Lothal.

First time viewing after Last Jedi, which got me thinking, is Yoda doing a Force Projection to communicate with Kanan and Ezra? That's how it suddenly read to me, also considering we haven't seen power this before Rebels and Last Jedi so the two things could be connected. Yoda currently is on Dagobah, a place strong with the Force and he appears on Lothal Jedi Temple, also a place strong with the Force. A "safe space", stable connection, probably take a lot of effort and skill but it doesn't seem like it would be as dangerous like Luke did. Also of note, that at first Yoda is simply a voice that they hear and then later on Ezra can see him, although Yoda does say that is because Ezra is becoming stronger in the Force. Which could work either way.

So maybe Luke's Force Projection was so dangerous because he's going from Ach-To, a place strong with the Force to Crait which, yes, the Force is in everything, but it doesn't read to me as a place that would resonate with Force energy. Also Luke was physically manifesting something, Han's dice, and Yoda goes from chat to appearance and doesn't affect the environment from what I remember. But also of note Yoda doesn't seem to be going off willy nilly and just randomly Force projecting onto the Ghost to tell Kanan and Ezra to smarten the hell up. He's going from safe space to safe space, for lack of a better term. Luke's was more of a desperation move, and in the end he joined the Force with "Peace and purpose" so it's not as if he was surprised by his actions.

But, yah, Force Projection is sort of the best way I can come up with Yoda appearing in the Lothal temple because otherwise it would be another, different type of Force power. Which it totally could be! Cuz it's difficult to get super binary 1 + 1 = 2 in Force powers. But I think this may be it. Just worked better for Yoda because there was a strong connection between the two places.

(and he did join the Force, like, years later, maybe that was what pushed it. "When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not! And don't go Force projecting to two dweebs in a Jedi temple! It'll catch up to you!")

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think it was Dave Filoni that confirmed that When Ezra is talking to Yoda in the temple, Ezra was in the World Between Worlds but didn't realize it.
    But that doesn't explain how he straight up materializes to say hello to Ahsoka. I surmise that has to be force projection, but Yoda isn't killed because his projection is just chilling on a log while Luke's was seen by everyone and his projection was doing cartwheels n stuff, not to mention the altered appearance.

that sequence watered my eyes a bit, not going to lie.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He does send Ezra a lightsaber crystal. Though I suppose it could have been one that was already present in the temple or the World Between Worlds, and Yoda just moved it a bit, to Ezra's location.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's a really good post about an interesting theme. But there is one small error in it: We saw this power before in Legends. Luke used force projection in "Dark Empire" without any dangers to his life and health.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, Legends is different continuity and it's possible that his force projection in Dark Empire was dangerous as well.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Major difference is, such detailed illusion had cost Luke his life. He put a tremendous amount of detail into it, from looking younger & healthier to wielding the Anakin lightsaber, all designed to distract and basically annoy Kylo. Such tremendous amount of detail created a tremendous amount of stress that cost Luke his life. We've seen Force wielders creating illusions before, Yoda, Force Priesteess, Sidious and Dooku, Maul and Mortis family. Even the Dark Side cave on Dagobah can create realistic illusions as well.

The Lothal temple was very strange but we know it acted like an amplifier for Yoda, much like Mortis allowed Jinn to appear since Mortis was a magnet and amplifier as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019