main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force-Users, And How to Fight Them

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the ARCs are pure Jango, but the Nulls are the Kaminoan's attempt to improve on Jango.

Of course, the Nulls are probably the most Jango-like in their actual behavior and in the way they were raised.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Found a few interesting quotes in Bloodlines. I don't have the DNT on me, but if I did I'd try to find relevant quotes there, too. Anyway...

So I dunno...it seems to me that, in a non-battlefield situation, a Jedi would have no trouble making it out of Order 66 alive.

Note: "grim purpose" is a better term for what I meant in earlier posts than "murderous intent."

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    *shrugs*

Depends on how good the Jedi hunter is.

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    True enough.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    yep..

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I'd have to disagree, purely on the fact that we know from more recent EU that the Jedi can screw around with the blade settings if they need or want to.

That's easy enough an obstacle to overcome. Just provide the sniper with the appropriate ammunition, like, say, those barradium projectiles you suggested, or if civilian casualties are a concern, phrik or cortosis alloy bullets, or even ultrachrome, which last makes sense in a weird sort of way, given their the silvery colour of the metal and the historical use of silver bullets to bring down super-human prey...

Then again, of course, we could just abandon the subtle approach altogether and simply arm a gang of ruffians with ZF-1s...:p

7. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I recall Jedi Horn's 'saber leaving a hole the size of a "button" in some poor sap's shoulder.

8. Lightsaber_101

Lightsaber_101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2005
    That can widely be attributed to like, I think. Jango was a phenomenol bounty hunter, but he only had one weapon, and that shots didn't seem that great...The jedi was clearly caught off guard, having not been facing jango, and the force couldn't really warn him, because as we are told "the dark side clouded everything" at the time. I mean, he wasnt able to dupe obi-wan when he had both of his blasters...I really think a great part of defeating that jedi master (yes, he was a master, and on the council) was luck. And don't give me that "there's no such thing as luck" ;)

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Watch it again. Jango shoots right at the blade, driving it back and out of line, then pumps fire into Trebor's exposed body. That's not luck; that's deliberate.

10. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    *edit*

My entire post was rendered redundant by Havac!:eek::p

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Jango's really good at fighting Jedi. Shoot at the lightsaber and keep your distance. Use explosives and starship grade blaster fire to keep him dodging. Once he loses his saber, get in close and keep him disoriented and dizzy enough to not use the Force. And by all means, don't let him get that saber back.

So, Lightsaber_101, no, he wasn't able to "dupe" Obi-Wan, but he was able to kick the crap out of him. He didn't "dupe" Coleman Trebor, either, but he shot him repeatedly in the chest. Jango doesn't need surprise because he's just really skilled at taking out Jedi.

12. Lightsaber_101

Sep 6, 2005
    His blasters are high powered but not so high powered that it would drive the blade back. If little master yoda can reflect bolts from blaster rifles from several troopers at a time (Return of the Sith) without having his blade driven back, then I should think that the larger jedi master would be equally capable. And the jango-obi-wan fight ended in a draw... obi-wan didn't have the "crap kicked out of him." It seemed a pretty equal match, despite jango's gadgets and his "son" shooting at obi-wan from the pilots seat...

Anyways, the last two posters seem "slightly" biased, seeing as ones name is something mandalorian and the others name is BOBBAmatt... so I'll let it go, I suppose, since there won't be much use in arguing the point.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It is still possible to use the force of a blow to push the blade out-of-line. Depends on how you hold it - just like a lightsaber duel. You usually angle your blows so that you don't lose control of your blade.

If I may, Jango appears to be staggering his fire. There's a seemingly minute pause between the shots. Larger than I'd expect.

It could be me, mind you.

The Kamino fight, I'd say, was a Jango victory by virtue of the fact that Obi-Wan, coming to arrest Jango, was the one tied up, and Jango escaped. Jango had a better control of the fight, what with the rocket launching, and beating Obi-Wan to the ground.

Obi-Wan's technique, bar anchoring himself, didn't appear well thought out. Kicking Jango over the edge probably wasn't very smart....not when you're attached to said heavy man. Kenobi appeared to be reacting to a suprisingly tough opponent. It suprised me, at least.

Just my two cents.

I'm no Mandalorian fan in the slightest. But I do appreciate the new curve they're throwing at the Star Wars Saga, which, I do believe, has become slightly repetitive. Welcome perspective from them.

14. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    1) Bullets deliver more force than light. Mass X Acceleration, Light (blasters) has no mass, therefore 0xSoL (speed of light) = 0, therefore blasters have NO FORCE. therefore it would be impossible for a blaster to drive back a lightsaber.

1A) Blasters definately do not travel at the SoL (movie evidence)

1a) bullets do not deliver enough force to stagger an opponent either, the jumping/falling ect. you see when being when someone is shot, is due to muscle spasms or shock, or nerve damage (headshots seem to produce a phenomenon in which the body twitches and writhes around on the ground even though the brain is destroyed) {no not even machine guns shooting full power rifle cartridges (8mm, .30-06, or even the mighty .50BMG ect.), and definately not any pistol}

2) Jango quite obviously owns Trebor and defeats Obi-Wan (even though I'm no mandofan)

3) Lightsabers are worse than worthless as a weapon in a "Modern War"

4) Star Wars is stuck on a tactical level roughly equivalent to the Napoleonic Wars (and we all know what happens when Napoleonic War tactics meets the realities of Modern War, specifically the Machine Gun and Poison Gas)

5) It would be possible for a well trained shootist to aim for gaps in the lightsaber's sweep to where it would be impossible for them to block every shot. (as Jango appears to do)

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Since when are lightsabers immune to kinetic energy and force applied upon them? He fired multiple times, and such that the Jedi was really just taking the shots straight on.
    Yoda generally keeps his blade moving, and is actively reflecting the shots. Trebor takes multiple high powered shots on an immobile blade. There's canon evidence that lightsabers are effected by the kinetic energy of a blaster shot- characters are often described as feeling the kick of the blow. In SotE, the vibration leaves Luke's arm tingling - but if you're blocking shots and moving,there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

For a real life example, first swing a baseball bat at a ball launched at you. Then, just hold the bat and let the ball hit it without swinging.
    How did it seem an equal match? Obi-Wan got some blows in, but - fairly or not - Jango pretty much kept Obi-Wan off his feet and helpless the whole fight. In the end, Obi-Wan falls off the landing platform, and Jango escapes like he planned. Just because someone doesn't end up dead doesn't mean there wasn't a winner.
    Well, it's BobaMatt, and as I know I haven't seen your handle on the board a whole lot, I'll introduce myself.

Hi, I'm BobaMatt, and I picked my handle long before Karen Traviss enlisted her legions of Fandalorians. I argue against Fandalorians in favor of Jedi prowess when I should be doing homework.
    I thought it was well established by now that blasters =/= lasers.
    Blasters aren't light, and they clearly deliver more energy on impact than a bullet.
    QFT.
    They're not meant for use in "modern war," to be fair.
    Well trained means something on a whole 'nother level when you're talking "able to kill Jedi," but certainly, yes.

16. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    ...And your name is Lightsaber 101.;)

Brother, take the plank out of thine own eye first.:p

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  18. Lightsaber_101

Sep 6, 2005
    lightsaber 101...as in "biology 101" like...a "crash course" in lightsabers if you will...doesn't mean I would defend the jedi wielding them. This isnt a case of bounty hunter vs lightsaber...its bounty hunter vs jedi.

Brother, take the plank out of thine own eye first :D

19. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yes, I think we all realized that... and the fact that it automatically implies close association with the Jedi.;)

Given the, shall we say, "biased" stance you've taken in this thread so far, I would say that it does.:p

To be pedantic, it's specifically a case of Mandalorian versus Jedi.o_O

And the Jedi in question were, quite naturally, wielding lightsabers...

Brother, go down and avail thyself of thine own comebacks.[face_talk_hand]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.