main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force-Users, And How to Fight Them

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Shot in the back when he was running away. Yep that sounds totally reasonable to me. Not.
    Not really, by that logic if the police hadn't been armed to start with there would never have been a reason for criminals to arm themselves with something better, which they can not only kill the police with but indiscriminately kill anyone standing near them at the same time. Incidentally I don't think I've actually suggested the prohibition of guns, more like I actually agreed that it's not the existence of the weapon but the behaviour of the person that owns it.

Edit: Sorting out quotey thing.

2. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Really? Perhaps that's not especially surprising, given that the accepted wisdom seems to be "give them whatever they want, and try not provoke anything."[face_thinking]

Which, again, begs the question of why anyone bothers to maintain armed militaries.

As Keralys pointed out, it doesn't have to be a gun. It can be a knife, a stick, bat, rock, broken bottle, rope, bicycle chain... but with the common folk allowed to carry concealed firearms, criminals are on the defensive, because they can't automatically assume that anyone who's not in uniform is going to be unarmed and essentially helpless.

3. kever20

kever20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2004
    Yeah, but just in case he ever got too out of line, Batman kept a small cache of Kryptonite in his belt... Just on the off chance.... I wouldn't say that was unfair: it's the only glowing green rock that can affect him!

4. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    That's ridiculous. That's the same as saying people shouldn't put locks on their doors because burglars will just bring lock-breaking tools.

And can we get back on topic here?

5. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, in the U.S. at least, automatic weapons are outlawed. Of course, you could legally get an AK with a 70-round drum.

Anyways, a well-armed populace makes it harder to take over a nation. For example, US troops in Iraq have to deal with a lot of snipers.

According to Wikipedia, it was magazine-fed. But yeah, .223 caliber, and at much shorter distances than real snipers.

Back on topic...

A large-scale trap might work for difficult cases. Maybe lure a Jedi into a base or a space station, than have it destroyed by turbolaser fire.

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Hmm, effective, but surely a cheaper way could be found to kill Jacen Solo. [face_thinking] :p

7. Lord_Zeke

Lord_Zeke Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2005
    I'm confused, can't a jedi sense what is going to happen right before hit happens (Anakin podracing) In that case, why would it matter if it was droid or a human sniping?

But if a Jedi can only sense emotions or someone intending to kill them, couldn't you stick a detpack on someone who is unaware, and watch a holofeet of them a few planets away, then remotly detonate it when they get close to the Jedi?

Wouldn't a whole bunch of guys with flechette weapons also do the trick, or other spread-fire type weapons, backed up by snipers? (and a capital ship or two)

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hey, you want to kill the best, you better be prepared to cough up the dough-wether for weapons, paying the families of those lost, whatever ship you lure them on and blow up, cortossiss....etc.

9. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    Re: Beltway Sniper

My aplogies. I was under the impression that he was using a Bushmaster, which is basically a civillian version of the M-16.

Re: Second Amendment:

Also remember that, when the Second Amendment was being written, the choices in firearms were either a rifle that could hit accurately at 200 and took a minute to load, or a smoothbore that could hit accurately at 50 yards and took about 20 seconds to load. The kind of firepower available to modern gun owners would have been inconcievable to them. Also, the "well regulated millitias" spoken of in the amendment referred to part-time forces under the command of the states, and not right-wing fringe groups living in the woods and asking for Jesus' help in killing all of the brown people.

Washington D.C., while having some very tight gun laws, is also one of the poorest cities in the nation. I would attribute the high levels of crime to poverty and social decay, and not to the absence of guns. Again, I'm not saying that guns cause crime, or kill people directly. I'm saying it makes it a lot easier for criminals to commit crime and kill innocent people while doing so (how many innocent bystanders are killed every year in gang shoot outs?). While violent crime is as much of a symptom as it is a problem, the ease of aquiring firearms results in much more collateral damage than would otherwise occur.

Re: JFK and Oswald

Q_M, had you bothered to read the rest of my post, you'd have seen my explanation of
    the matter.

Re: Hunting

Yes, M_K, it is more sportsmanly to hunt with a black powder musket or a bow. You show me a man who can take out a bear with a spear, and I'll show you a true hunter.

Re: Sniping Jedi

Here I agree with you, Q_M. The more populated the area, and the less suspecting the Jedi, the more difficult it is to pick out the sniper. Again, I agree that sniping is the best way to take a Jedi down one on one. But if it was as simple as buying a halfway decent rifle and a ghillie suit, then why wasn't the whole CIS army composed of sniper droids?

10. Suspen-Dead

Suspen-Dead Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2005

Those ARE the ones in charge. Well, at least, where I live it sometimes seems that way. The people in my town are scary.

11. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    For close combat, I'd say anyone who has an ability to cancel out their short-range precognition. Like the Echani's move reading(which surpasses the character Cassandra Cain, the second greatest MA in DC), Mandalorian strength and speed enhancements, etc.

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    So would a lot of things.

And what that has to do with ordinary citizens carrying concealed handguns is anyone's guess.

That's funny. Edmonton, Alberta, near where I live, is the capital city of my province. It's also one of the wealthier cities in Canada. It also has the highest proportionate rate of homocides in the country.

Again, I'm not saying that guns cause crime, or kill people directly. I'm saying it makes it a lot easier for criminals to commit crime and kill innocent people while doing so (how many innocent bystanders are killed every year in gang shoot outs?).[/quote]How many criminals would feel free to have a shoot-out if there's a good chance any number of people on the street might start shooting at them?

No, it isn't.

There, I made a statement of opinion just like yours.

I did read it.[face_talk_hand]

Or just possibly, a suicidal madman.:p

B1s are crap. Good, long-range sniper rifles are expensive. Nemoidians are cheapskates, and have demonstrated a penchant for mass-produced brute force over mobility, finesse, speed or accuracy (hence kill rates in excess of 200 to 1 in favour of the clones).

13. The_Red_Blade

Jun 10, 2005
    As I said, manly:D

14. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    *rolls eyes at figures* If sniping was cost-effective, the Neimoidians would do it. We don't see them do it, and we don't see any of the many dedicated and well-equipped Jedi-hunters using sniping. Not even Fett. People are focusing too much on the sensing intent and less on foreseeing the bolt coming. Jorus didn't need to sense Rukh to block his shot. It may well work on below average Jedi, but I don't think any Jedi worth his salt would have that much more trouble with a sniper shot than a shorter range weapon.

15. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Jedi don't simply react-- they preact, often anticipating and moving to intercept potential threats before (to use an example) a sniper has even formed the thought to pull the trigger.

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Hey, I know my fellow males will often resort to crazy stunts to attract girls, but...

Of course it's not cost effective, when almost your entire military consists of B1s.

Aurra Sing carries a sniper rifle quite openly, and Jango Fett is also seen to be carrying one just before entering Dooku's castle to deal with him in Open Seasons #3.

Rubbish.

17. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Rubbish? For starters:

There's the description in Revenge of the Sith (N) of Kenobi's recovery of his and Skywalker's lightsabers-- it's too long to quote directly but suffice it to say he's able to retrieve both before Grievous's synapses have completed the processing of his thought to strike at the two.

Kenobi also easily counters an assault of 180 saber strikes per minute by Grievous relying on precognition/force guidance alone.

There are other examples; these three are off the top of my head.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Which still has not been seen in any sources. Only referred to.

19. The_Red_Blade

Jun 10, 2005
    Was being somewhat facetious there. Though I would respect the hell out of anyone that hunted caveman style. More realistically, a smoothbore black powder musket (.50-.75 caliber)has enough stopping power to knock down game with one shot, no matter where it hits. The skill is in getting close and making the one shot you'll get hit. On the other side of the scale, a modern .22 can fire several rounds in sucession, but the shots need to be well placed if you hope to kill anything substantial.

20. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    As an aside, a couple pages ago someone mentioned whether Jedi can manipulate individual air molecules. The evidence is mixed. Jacen stated as being unable to in 'Betrayal', but Tahiri did it in 'Conquest' as a roundabout way to try and kill her Yuuzhan Vong captors. So it seems to vary Jedi-for-Jedi.

It looks to me like there's no guaranteed way; just pile as many clever anti-Jedi tricks into one attack as possible and cross your fingers...

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    So, the fact that C'Baaoth was able to block a shot from a blaster pistol means the Jedi are immune to sniper fire?

Going from what's shown in the movie, I'm not at all surprised. Grievous is a pretty pathetic fighter for having four lightsabers. If you keep track, you can see that he only uses two at best to attack with, while the other pair generally wait motionless until he switches to them and moves the first two back out of the way. He also takes his time about turning around to face Kenobi when the Jedi flips over him, an interval during which Obi-Wan strangely does nothing to press the advantage suddenly gained by the fact that his opponent's back is unprotected. Guess "face-to-face" is something you're supposed to take literally.[face_thinking]

Odds.

So you'd bette be handy with that hatchet when you miss, Davy Crocket...

Of course, you realize that the real reason Anakin Skywalker was the first human podracer was that no one else was interested in the sport.;)

22. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    That's funny. Edmonton, Alberta, near where I live, is the capital city of my province. It's also one of the wealthier cities in Canada. It also has the highest proportionate rate of homocides in the country.

A conserivitive Canadian? I never thought I'ld see the day...

Of course, you realize that the real reason Anakin Skywalker was the first human podracer was that no one else was interested in the sport

That bugged me too. Don't starfighters go a lot faster then podracers?

23. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yeah. There are a few of us up here, mind you, but we don't get a lot of attention.

Precisely. Succesfully navigating the innards of DS II was a greater feat by far than winning the Boonta Eve Podrace, IMHO, and Wedge and Lando weren't even Force-sensitive.

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Or WERE they?......

25. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yeah, yeah, I know...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.