main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ForceFest '05: deadline has passed - see you in Radium!

Discussion in 'Archive: Western Canada Regional Forum' started by Rogue_Thunder, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    For those of you who didn't know or weren't sure I just want to clarify: This event is going to take place on the August long weekend. There's no "if's, and's or but's" about it. ;)

The only thing we need is a location (specific) and numbers. So in the coming weeks if we ARE able to we will be reserve a group site (I should know by tomorrow if there are any available) then we will need to hear from YOU! :)

Now, I need some information from people who have camped in the region. Is there a fee for firewood, and if so, how much is it?

Is there any restrictions on Alcohol in provincial parks?

Is there any fees for having a fire? (some campgrounds do this as a flat-fee to cover firewood).

What we know:

When?

August long weekend. More specifically July 29th to August 1st.

Where?

Somewhere in the Okanagan region. We're currently trying to book site(s) at Scotch Creek located near Salmon Arm, BC.

Who?

Absolutely anyone interested in coming. :)

What?

Specifically it's a camping trip in the British Colombia interior (if this is your first time in this forum).

Why?

Because it's hella-fun. ;)

How much?

Estimates put the per-person cost at somewhere around $300 (at the very very most, but that's incredibly unlikely). Something in the neighbourhood of $200 is more likely and even less if you car-pool since gas is going to be the one major cost.

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Let's stress that again...

This event IS going to take place on the August Long Weekend... no ifs ands or buts about it. This IS happening, no matter what.

So if you are waffling about whether or not this is going to happen, or worried about taking time off work for something that doesn't materialize, don't be. We ARE going on this trip FOR SURE!!!! :)

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    i think i'm in for sure

4. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well that's three. Who else is in? ;)

5. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Me! Me! :p

6. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Great! Come one people. We only need *counts*... 11 more to get a group site! :p

7. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I am willing and able

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Awesome. That makes 5! :)

9. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    i for sure have the weekend off :D

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
  11. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I would like to recommend Fintry Provincial park, half way between Kelowna and Vernon BC, on the quiet side of Lake Okanagan. A lovely park, lake access, trees and shade and wide open camp sites... or theres a possibility of using the cliff-faced site, which has big picnic shelters with tables and running water. Full running water on site, plus flush toilets, showers, et cetera... very civiliased, and waterfalls an hour hike up the trails... Rani and Pol and I camped there last weekend: it's a great sIt has the benefit of not being as far to get to as Salmon Arm, and just off major highways.ite.

I'll look into it cost wise if it sounds good to others... There are a couple other parks in the area as well.

*Derisa*

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Cool Rani. We'll definetly look into it. If you could dig up some costs and get us an exact location it'll be much appreciated. :)

You Basers need to get your butt's in gear y'know :p ;)

13. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Hello all. I've been doing some checking around to see how much camping stuff I'd be able to scrounge off people that I know and I came up with the following list:

1. sleeping bag.
    2. nothing else.

Which doesn't really leave me in a very good position for going camping. For me to go I'd end up borrowing pretty much everything and contributing pretty much nothing--which is not cool. While I think it would be cool to meet up with fellow FanForcers; I don't think the camping thing is going to work for me. Anyways, I hope those of you that are going have a great time and the weather cooperates for you.

14. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    All you need is a sleeping bag, really. And maybe a tent (which are cheap). Surely you have a plate and silverware?

Don't let a lack of equipment stop you. I am sure between all of us we would have more than enough of everything to help you out! :)

15. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    I appreciate that, really I do. But I don't want to be the guy borrowing everything, especially when I don't really know anyone else that's going.

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Sorry to hear, Dooku. Hopefully we can convince you to change your mind. There are a few people coming who won't be able to bring much except for the clothing on their backs. Maybe you could see if there's some people you know in your area who are interested in coming and you could borrow some things from if you're not comfortable borrowing from strangers. :)

17. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    In most cases people won't be bringing to much individually. Because we're pooling resourses; if someone can contribute an item, great, if not, that's o.k. we'll have it covered by someone else. We won't need 10 coolers for example. As long as you can contribute to the fees and someone can lend you a tent, you're not actually borrowing anything else. We would be bringing it regardless. :)

Fintry looks to be about 10 hours from Edmonton. I like the idea of the provicial parks.

18. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    must have good swimming :)

19. Jaeden2k

Jaeden2k Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    No one has brought up the question as to whether this event would be Younglings friendly? I am planning my trip for Vancouver as we speak.

If you lovely people are going to be camping close to Kelowna, then I can possible come and spend the night alone, as the wife and two children can stay with family.

As of right now, from Winnipeg, our itinerary is 2 nights in Calgary, 3 nights in Kelowna, 4 nights in Vancouver, 1 more night in Kelowna, 1 night in Calgary. If I could pitch a tent in someone's lot for a night during the August Long Weekend, then I can plan our trip accordingly.

We'll have to wait and see if and when you have arranged concrete plans.

Cheers!

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    We're having a meeting tomorrow Jaeden. We'll keep you posted on the latest developments. ;)

21. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Right now we're looking at revelstoke. I'm going to make some calls tonight and post what I have. :)

ED: Won't be able to make those calls tonight. If it's not already too late. I've just got too much stuff to do before this weekend :(

22. Jaeden2k

Jaeden2k Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    Thanks for the update, Rogue.

Change of plans on this end. We're heading East this year! :(

We're heading to PEI to visit the wife's family. The only reason I agreed was because of all the beautiful golf courses on the Island. :D

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Sorry to hear, Jaeden. Have fun out there, and hopefully you can join us for '06 ;)

24. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Any new info yet? Anything finalized yet?

25. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Nothing yet. Right now we're looking at a location near Revelstoke. A decision should be made by sunday and hopefully reservations made the day after. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.