main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ForceFest 2005: Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Archive: Western Canada Regional Forum' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    As a recent PM reminded me, last Labour Day, a couple of Victory Basers crashed an Edmontooine camping trip. (We did bring food.)

It was wonderful to meet fellow fans from outside our own areas, share in the in-jokes, put faces to user names, and get, er, "relaxed" together. We talked Star Wars, and a lot of other stuff too, ate really well (while I *crisped* the roast, the chocolate fondue was a big hit!), saw some incredible countryside, took pictures, played hangman in person, and just generally had a very good time.

Since it was so much fun last year, I think we'd like to do it again, right?

SO... we need to think about when, and we need to think about where.

Please use this thread to toss out your suggestions to be booted around in open discussion. This will be an open attendance event. When we have a good idea of who wants to meet up where and when, we can start the final planning thread, and we can put this forum to the use for which it was always originally intended.

My suggestion as to date is the BC Day long weekend: That's the first Monday in August, so that would be the weekend preceeding it.

My suggestion as to where is some (quieter) park, preferably near a lake, in the Kootenays.

Anyone wanna toss their ideas into the ring?

*Derisa*

PS: thanks for the reminder, Berx. I figured starting the thread was as good a reply as any. :)

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Copy that ;)

I recall at our last general FanForce meeting here that Darth_Haggis mentioned a nice campsite in the okanagan that we might consider...

Other than that though I don't care where it is. So long as we make this one a freakin' blast!

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    okanagan or the kootenays, both sound good, august long weekend seems a good time too, i've already requested it off :p its going to be a lot of fun :) it would be good if we could find somewhere with group camping.

4. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    IIRC, the place Steve mentioned had group camping.

Yeah, this is gonne be awesome. Hopefully the weather cooperates. :D

5. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    even if the weather is bad it won't be as cold as jasper :p

6. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Hmm... Fuzzy, my brain is.

At this exact moment, I can't remember which campground that was, but either way, there are definately some nice ones in both the Okanagan and the Shushwap. Also, Rogers Pass/Revelstoke is nice at that time of year, except not as hot as Kelowna.

7. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    As long as it has group camping then I'm happy. No more of this paying for individual sites ;)

8. DarthGrizz

DarthGrizz Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2004
    Can we come too? (Those of us in Jasper...) :confused:

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Sure, anyone can come! ;)

10. Ann-Elk

Ann-Elk Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2004
    can't wait, sounds like fun :D

11. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Okay, I sense some reluctance or just a plain old lack of interest, so I'm going to have to sell this.

I'll start by saying one thing: the last Forcefest was awesome. I know you're probably thinking 'It's just camping! I've been camping! It's not that much fun'. Well you'd be wrong. It's not just a camping trip. I met two great people and made some memories that'll be with me forever. :D

I don't like camping, it's cold and there's bugs, etc.

If you just plain old don't like being out-of-doors then there's nothing I can do to convince you. Regardless, I still pity you and hope you will come to see the light. :p

However, the weather should hopefully cooperate since the area we're hoping to have it in (the Okanagan) is well known for its warm temps and over-all great weather. Bugs aren't a big problem either. If this summer is anything like last summer then it'll be too hot during the day for the mosquitoes and fly's and in the evening that's what deep-woods Off is for. ;)

How do I know y'all aren't axe murderer's or something?

The simple fact is we're not, but you can't go by that can you, you un-trusting paranoid can you?! :p

I can easily say that the people in my Fanforce are perfectly normal people that I would trust with my life. I can also vouch for everyone who came last year since we're all here now, but I know that's also not enough for you. If you're truly worried about going camping with people you met on the internet then rest assured you're going to be with a large group, some of which are quite reputable people. Not only that but you of course have the option of attending forcefest with a friend, or, if you're a member of your local fanforce, with some of them (assuming you trust them of course [face_devil])!

This sounds like it'd be expensive. I doubt I can afford it

Well there's nothing I can do for you if you're too cheap to pay for an awesome time in the woods... kidding!

Seriously though. If you can afford to go camping at all then you can afford to attend Forcefest. Granted there are other factors that could affect the cost such as how far you live from the campground, etc. (cheaper for those coming from Vancouver then Edmonton) but it is perfectly reasonable. Food is going to done the same way it was last year with a food plan system that you buy into for roughly $40 for the entire weekend. You only need buy your own snack-type food and alcohol if you want any. But I gotta tell you guys; the food last year was better then I eat at home and easily comparable to the best food I've ever eaten. I still salivate at the thought of the fondu or the filling roast dinner! (Thanks once again to the saints Rani and Derisa) [face_love]

Other costs like the campsite, wood, supplies etc. are also divvied up as needed. The only major cost this summer will be the gas to get there, which can still be absorbed easily by car-pooling.

What about supplies? I don't have a tent or cooler or camp-chairs?

Again, no problem. Many of us have tents that sleep more than one person. I slept in a 4 man tent by myself last year. Bunking up is no problem, and if you're not comfortable bunking up with a relative stranger then bring a friend with a tent or borrow! Things like coolers and such we should have more then we need since we won't need a cooler for every single person. In the end all you need is a mattress, sleeping bag and a tent to share or borrow. Quite a few of us already have the supplies we need.

I'm useless in the woods!

Then when we run out of food you're the first to get eaten! [face_devil] :p

Lots of people are. But a lot of us aren't either. If you can't chop wood or cook over a fire or campstove then you can pull your weight by washing dishes on occasion or watching the fire. Trust me when I say there are going to be way more hands then jobs that need doing. :)

Now hopefully I've convinced a few people or at least made the idea seem not-so-impossible. I know this event is a long ways away,

12. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    all i can say is the food was awesome =P~ its going to be a lot of fun

13. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I agree... the last ForceFest was a BLAST!!! Looking forward to doing it again this year!!! :)

14. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Okay, this sounds like a pretty cool idea.

The main issues for me would be:

1. Transportation. I don't have a car and I hate driving. However, I did go backpacking through some areas in BC a few years back where I took a bus between cities which worked well (and I loved it). The only issue there would be getting to/from the actual campsite.

2. Equipment. I have nothing as far as camping equipment goes. I do have a backpack, some basic supplies, and a sleep sheet--that's a sheet sewn like a sleeping bag used for staying in hostels, but probably too thin for camping. But as far as real camping stuff is concerned (ie. tent, sleeping bag, mattress) I got nothin'. My parents may have some stuff though, I'll have to check.

3. "I'm useless in the woods!". Yes, I'm an urban dweller and always have been. I've gone for day-long hikes a few times, but as for actual camping skills I'm pretty useless. This isn't so much an issue as it is a warning to others if I do go. ;)

15. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    1. Transportation. I don't have a car and I hate driving. However, I did go backpacking through some areas in BC a few years back where I took a bus between cities which worked well (and I loved it). The only issue there would be getting to/from the actual campsite.

I won't presume to speak for them, but the ladies from Victoria are going, and as far as I know Van is on the way. I'm sure if you ask reaaaal nice and if they have the room they wouldn't mind taking you. Or maybe as time goes on some of your fellow Vancouver fanforcer's will show an interest and you can catch a ride with them. Last forcefest only 3 of us drove but six of us came. ;)

Maybe post a thread in your city forum and see if it sparks any interest. :)

If you did end up bussing it and you need a ride to the actual camp-site then that can be arranged no problemo ;)

2. Equipment. I have nothing as far as camping equipment goes. I do have a backpack, some basic supplies, and a sleep sheet--that's a sheet sewn like a sleeping bag used for staying in hostels, but probably too thin for camping. But as far as real camping stuff is concerned (ie. tent, sleeping bag, mattress) I got nothin'. My parents may have some stuff though, I'll have to check.

The sleeping bag might be a little problem (but if you bring lots of old blankets then that solves that) and a mattress isn't really 100% necessary if the tent isn't set up on a gravel pad. As for the tent, as I said above we should have more than we need (in fact I think we had a few we didn't set up because we brought too many). If you have the basic supplies you need then you're good to go. If you can bring some general supplies for everyone to use then that's even better. A cooler or a lantern for example. :)

3. "I'm useless in the woods!". Yes, I'm an urban dweller and always have been. I've gone for day-long hikes a few times, but as for actual camping skills I'm pretty useless. This isn't so much an issue as it is a warning to others if I do go.

Well aside from being able to start a fire (I have a child-hood as a firebug to thank for that) I'm not too useful in a camp either, but that's not all there is to camping. Aside from cooking and dishes and chopping wood (and the one-time things like setting up a tent) there isn't much to do but sit around the fire and enjoy the wilderness. :)

16. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Actually, upon checking my inventory, most of the supplies I got are probably more applicable to backpacking than camping (although some could be for both such as flashlights, basic first-aid kit, compass). The backbacker's credo being, "don't bring anything you don't want to carry for long periods of time," I never really had a need for a cooler. ;)

However, I'm sure I can beg/borrow/steal some camping-type stuff from those I know.

17. banana

banana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Hi to all well as I recall my face was sore for the whole time from laughing it was a blast. the girl made some great food, like salmon, roast, quiche, soup that was better then the red seal chef we have at my work I kid you not! Like rogue said (I don?t eat like this at home).

Well the 411 from me is that I am not a camper I have camped maybe 4-5 time in my life last year was the first time I camped in a tent it was all good. If you have some food allergies the girl can try to work around them as best they can. I did not have much for gear like a tent all I had was a sleeping bag so geekgirl shared with me so it was great .

Banana :D

18. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    It was a lotta fun. :) And we loved cooking for such an appreciative audience. :)

Rides through Vancouver ought not be a problem, but we can discuss closer to the date. ARe there any other Tipocans who might wanna come along? More passengers = cheaper gas costs!

*Derisa*

19. TK1455

TK1455 Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm not sure if you guys would be interested in one of Vader's Finest tagging along, but I'm a HUGE camp-a-holic and I'd be interested in going.

I go camping all the time, and having a 4x4 I love hitting the backwoods trails for some free hardcore camping. But I know how you Rebels like things all cushy, so I'd be in for some paysite-group camping! :p I'd probably be able to haul a few of you as well as your gear up from the Lower Mainland as well.

Keep me mosted as the date gets closer, cuz I'm in if you guys are! :)

20. TK1455

TK1455 Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2004
    Oh ya....I've got like a 5' cooler, BBQ, Coleman stove, propane lights and the whole deal. So I'll come bearing gifts! ;)

21. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Oh ya....I've got like a 5' cooler, BBQ, Coleman stove, propane lights and the whole deal. So I'll come bearing gifts!

You're my bestest buddy now [face_love] ;)

22. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    so we are definately set for the august long weekend? i know its kinda early to plan this but is everyone planning to go down on the friday or thursday, just wondering cause we need all our holiday requests in soon and i've asked for the friday and monday off

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    When is the August long weekend exactly?

My contract is up on July 29th, after which I'm taking a month off until I go back to school. If I'm already out I can probably head out and reserve the spot and/or set up some tents.

We can do what we did last time and wait til everyone's out thursday then head-out. I think it's an 8 hour drive to the area?

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    august long weekend is july 30/31 and august 1st :)

25. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Then unless anyone has any valid suggestions, Forcefest will be on the August long weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.