main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Forces of Destiny - Episode 31: A Disarming Lesson Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 3, 2018.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

During a lightsaber training exercise, Ahsoka encourages Ezra to find his inner strength in order to anticipate her attacks on the fly.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    - Ezra avoided the Ken-doll look.

- Man, I wish we'd seen this on Rebels. Those two needed more screen time given that TotA was going for the Gandalf/Balrog/Frodo dynamic.

Vialco and RaptorMusic like this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think this is also the first time we've seen Ahsoka at this point in her life in a FOD short. It's all been Clone War era for her so far.

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  6. TheCloneWarsForever

Apr 24, 2018
    This easily ties with "Unexpected Company" as my favorite FOD to date. And it comes close to Ahsoka using Maul as a training remote for a blinded Kanan as my favorite "Rebels Ahsoka" moment.

We've seen Ahsoka mentor many times before but never with this kind of confidence and spirit and oompfh. She usually sets aside the snark when interacting with the younglings, which lead some to complain (wrongly, I believe) that Ahsoka had left her fun personality behind. If this is a taste of Gandalf Tano in the post-ROTJ period, I want that Ahsoka/Sabine series more than ever.

The lesson of forcing Ezra to cope without his weapon fits in well with Ahsoka's own TCW past where she never really bought into the "your lightsaber is your life" mantra and fought like a beast unarmed on many occasions.

One oddity about the soundtrack: Is Sabine's theme now the main theme of Rebels? I love it, but it was weird hearing it used in an Ahsoka/Ezra episode. Ezra does have his own theme.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    RaptorMusic and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  7. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I think I heard a little snippet of Sabine's theme. It's not the main Rebels theme, though.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. TheCloneWarsForever

Apr 24, 2018
    1:29 - I see Ahsoka's refined her saber helicoptering maneuver from "Holocron Heist"

Vialco and RaptorMusic like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    This was probably my favorite FOD short to date.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I speculate Filoni and the music crew liked it so much that they wanted more of it in Rebels content. They had already expanded and modified Sabine's theme to become the theme for the Loth Wolves. The same happened with the Inquisitor's theme, which was modified for Maul.

TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  11. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I really hope in future animation we see her teach more.

12. TheCloneWarsForever

Apr 24, 2018
    And to think they gave us "The Lost Droid" instead of this :confused:

At least I assume it's in that time frame. (It's Atollon, right?) Though I found it funny how Ezra talked about hearing Yoda in "a Jedi Temple". Kid, the three of you were just in that temple....

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think they're on Lothal, or some other planet. There's tall grass and rocky formations. Atollon is more maritime themed. This probably takes place between the end of S1 and the S2 premier.

RaptorMusic and cwustudent like this.
  14. TheCloneWarsForever

Apr 24, 2018
    Oohh, so that's what that theme signified. I noticed how similar it was structurally to Sabine's theme and had them confused for a while.

Thinking about this further, I think they were trying to do something similar to what the Ahsoka/Yoda training FOD did with the triumphant Ahsoka Theme fanfare when she "gets" the lesson. And in these two minute shorts, Sabine's theme just gets to the point faster than Ezra's own theme does.

Probably, given that she asks about Ezra's blaster-saber as if she hadn't seen it before. Funny, though, that she has no reaction to Ezra letting out that he'd talked to Yoda. In "Shroud of Darkness", she had a noticeable "How the hell are you guys talking to Yoda?" reaction.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  15. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah I definitely think this took place near the end of season 2. I really enjoyed this episode, Ahsoka did give off the Aura of a Master.

16. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    I think you can hear Morai/Daughter at the beginning.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  17. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I really like Ezra in this one.

Jedi Knight Fett and RaptorMusic like this.
  18. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Excellent segment.

19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    This one and the one with Luke training with Yoda are the best shorts from the whole series for me.

20. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    These shorts have slowly gotten better over time. I do find it interesting that it was so easy for Ahsoka to remove the crystal. Always nice to see Ezra.