main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Forces of Destiny: New Animated Shorts Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I do wonder if we will ever see a home release of these on dvd or something. I know something came bundled with rogue one in USA but it was just a disc as far as I know.

And yes, I am aware they are easily accessible online, but still an official home release would be most welcome.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Force of Destiny Vol 2 showed that there was a different actress for Jyn Erso as well, maybe they got Felicity Jones for the first ep but it's definitely not her in Vol. 2. Qi'Ra I thought really came close to Clarke, though.

I did like this one, IG-88 being a dofus is kind of fun and I liked seeing Qi'Ra outsmart people cuz she only really does it about halfway through the film.

3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I saw that one immediately after getting home from the theatre and seeing SOLO. Part of me now feels like Hondo was actually in the movie, or just around the corner in any given scene -- probably on Beckett's speed dial, at least. That was cool.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I saw a store called something like "Boy's Toys" the other day. The storefront window was full of Forces of Destiny dolls. Thought that was kind of a funny juxtaposition.

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I never liked IG-88 before these cartoons, they somehow made him cute and likable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I got to admit, I am not interested in these at all.

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Interesting that they kept IG-88's voice from the 80's Droids cartoon. I guess that and the bg characters from various old SW Marvel and newspaper comics is a plus. But, yeah, the cost-cutting animating techniques put me off.

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Do we care much about spoilers for these things? I don't know. I'll spoiler tag this anyway just to be on the safe side. So we learn from the framing story that
    Hondo is still alive in the ST era!

I love how he noticed that Maz is telling her stories to an unseen audience. "I thought you were just talking to the wall." With Solo having hit the "anything goes" button as far as possible crossovers go, the idea that we might someday see live-action Hondo in a film or tv project is tantalizing.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Wasn't his symbol already hanging on one of the flags outside of Maz's castle in TFA?

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would say this proves that Hondo is alive too (I just watched the framing device, speaking of which I still haven't seen the Vol. 1 framing device with Maz cuz it's region locked) But is there anything that definitively proves that Maz's storytime is set in the ST era? She's been running the watering hole for a 1000 years, it could kinda be anytime. (Of course, if she is telling stories about people in the events of TFA and TLJ then she kind of has to be afterwards cuz as smart as Maz is I don't think she can see in the future)

Overall, I think the FoD shorts are actually getting progressively better, if anything there's more action, the animation is slightly less static, and the stories are getting slightly more interestingly written and not quite as basic short ad morality tales as Vol 1. The Ahsoka / Ezra one had an interesting twist to it and the Qi'Ra one. Also having Mark Hamill play Luke Skywalker anytime in anything helps a lot.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Revanfan1, jSarek and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, these ones were a slight step up, and adding Hondo to Maz's narration is a great improvement. I think they need to take more risks in the creativity department. As Maz would say.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If we get another round, I would love to see a Luke on Ach-To with the Caretakers one. There has to be at least 3 minutes outta that, we've already gotten 2 Porg-centric ones.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

At the very least... FoD gave us this.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Wish i could get the porgs and porglets without Chewie. If they ever release those beyond SDCC, that is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah if the Disney era has proven anything it's that fans love this.

[face_batting]

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, keep in mind these are first and foremost toy ads. Porgs sell toys. Fish nuns... maybe not so much, at least outside of Innsmouth.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Toy ads yes, but it seems more and more that the show is used as a relatively innocuous form of "new canon glue", which is what I'm digging about it.

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know what "new canon glue" means but I am positive that the powers that be see it primarily as an advertisement over that.

20. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean that it sort of has a secondary, but also commercial aim, to sort of equalize all forms of SW in importance -- thus hopping around in eras, crossing over film and cartoon characters, etc. Kind of trying to make it all seem "essential". It's a bit transparent, but it still results in some fun moments.

21. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I actually wouldn't mind more of these. Season 2 grew on me.