main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Forget all you know, or think you know." - The Willow Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or possibly, Prince Caspian, where the Hag and the Werewolf are trying to bring back Jadis the White Witch.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    There's a flashback scene in the second episode where she and Davis appear to be digitally de-aged. That scene really looks remarkably good.

3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Watched it, I agree that it feels like Nickelodeon/Disney Channel writing. Two minutes in and it was reminding me of this show my nephew watches called The Thundermans where the family has these twins with super powers, and lo and behold, the two sibling characters are twins. I think this kind of writing has a niche audience, kids aged 7-11 who are interested in seeing older teenage kids test out adulthood and push back against their parents. It’s a lot less sophisticated than even the original movie where Willow was a young man with a family, and it’s often annoying, but having watched a fair share of this kind of thing recently, I can accept that it’s supposed to be annoying for some kiddie rebellion. Would probably be for the best if Hollywood dropped this kind of stuff altogether, but I doubt that’ll ever happen, it is what it is.

As to production values, it looks pretty good. The creature effects were better than The Witcher imo, the sets and costumes are nice, banquet scene was lively, although Willow’s village seemed too small . . . no pun intended. The fight scene in first episode was shaky cam in the dark, not a combination that speaks confidence, but it was good enough, and a little old horse chase was more than I expected. It’s a pleasant thing to look at and all the young actors are cute if you tune out the relentless snark. What it doesn’t have is the dirtiness of the original, the Dark Age vibes, so there’s no room for substantial atmospheric shifts. This place is the perpetual, happy Renaissance Faire instead.

Some of Davis’ scenes were good, some pretty bad too like his village elder shtick, but it’s still fun to root for him. I’ll keep watching, and it might be easier to not binge as more than an hour per week is probably too much.

Speculating to “The Crone” . . .

Wasn’t Elora Doran played by Bryce Dallas Howard in the original? They could have her come back as the “evil reflection” or something. Would be fun to see her do a turn as a nasty sorceress for a change. [face_devil]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Glad you asked! No, Elora Danan was not played by Bryce Dallas Howard.

Count Yubnub and Glitterstimm like this.
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Ah ok, thought I heard that somewhere [face_thinking]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Elora was played by twins Ruth and Kate Greenfield. They are 35 years old today and as far as IMDb is concerned, they didn't do any acting beyond Willow '88.

Count Yubnub and Glitterstimm like this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    In the original film, they had several babies playing Elora.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I liked the second episode.

But yeah, everyone sorta has that sarcastic humor written way too often and unnecessarily into their lines. It's very teen-centric. And some of the characters feel way too modern and not from a fantasy medieval feudal time period.

I think I'll wait a few weeks and binge a bunch of eps together.

Count Yubnub and TiniTinyTony like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Never saw the film so gave it a look. KInd of surprising - did amyone see an old woman fistfight being part of the finale? Overall, it was all right.

This series? Not really feeling it. Poor characters, bad plot. Sorscha basically wants her kids on the throne so she screws the world over to do it.

And why do so many series now decide to do a poorly lit, massively murky fight sequence where you can't see the action?

It's on D+ so probably see how it plays out, but it needs to improve.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    After rewatching the original film today to prepare for the series, I was reminded of how much I was infatuated with Joanne Whalley's Sorsha. I'm glad she'll be reprising her role in the new series.

Sarge likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Rewatched the original film (as it had been at least 10 years since I last watched the whole thing) before diving into the first two episodes. Film still holds up remarkably well. Some shortcomings with how quick the love story develops and such, but it has a great mystical vibe to it, with some great horror elements with the fantastic creature work (the Eborsisk dragon is so awkwardly ugly that it is a brilliant design, on par with the Dark Overlord from Howard the Duck two years prior).

All the while the film maintains the difficult balance of a semi-serious fantasy adventure mixed with witty/snarky/silly humor to aim the whole film at kids and families (and Willow being for kids is something easy to forget or overlook trough nostalgia). And the Horner score is still amazing. And General Kael (who also played the head guard in the Temple of Doom) has such a badass helmet and great villain voice ("KILL THE BEAST! FIND THE BABY!").

Speaking of the film, didn't realize they finally released deleted scenes a few years ago (and, holy crap, that guy at the end of the film was Sorsha's father! Also- the "3rd acorn" mystery is finally answered!):

Jumping into the series, there is a fairly jarring tonal shift initially. Telling the story through a storybook is a brilliant choice, but once we get into the world proper, the overall look and tone of the world has changed. The movie had lovely scenery, but always had an overcast look to it that gave it that "dark ages" quality (as someone else earlier in the thread described it). But, here, the series has vibrant colors in a very sunny world that gives it a more Young Adult/CW vibe.

And that works with the focus on such a young cast (and, even, regretfully, the pop music used later on for the end credits). So it makes sense to advance the tone/target from the kid-friendly adventure of the original film to an older youth demographic. But it really does make for a visual break from the film. It's one reason why the best looking scenes that evoke the feel of the film most in the first episode are those set at night during the fog battle and the camp scenes at night in the second episode.

That said, the characters are very well written as far as capturing the wit/humor of the film. You can tell that the prince and princess are the son and daughter of Madmartigan because they evoke all of his identifiable qualities while still being their own character. Meanwhile the cleaver guy brings the world-worn rogue/bandit cynicism that the castle-born characters cannot. Willow himself enters with some very heavy exposition which wasn't great, but Davis picks up well from there (though the Head Alwin sequence went on for too long as the objectives were unclear throughout).

So, overall, while i can't give it a must-see recommendation, there's something in here for fans of Willow. the first episode is a little tough to get through but the second episode picks up well. However, there is definitely that tonal shift that renders the show feeling simultaneously not like the film (visually and in tone) and exactly like the film (as far as characters and humor go). But there's enough promise here for light, fun adventure to stick with it.

I also think that it’s worth noting that it seems, going by my rewatching the episodes on some react channels that, if you rewatch the episodes, the similarities to the Willow film become more apparent than when they are overshadowed by the tonal shift during your initial viewing.

Well, now i have to revise my assessment of the show and declare it the greatest show ever made. ;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Did you ever see The Singing Detective?

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I have the Willow Blu-ray (and digital version that came with it), and in one of the special features, they interview Val Kilmer; who suggests that he'd always felt a little awkward in the romance scenes with his then gf and future wife - to the point where he was forgetting his lines. Personally, I couldn't blame him. I'd be the same with working with her. [face_love][face_love][face_love]
    -------------------
    I watched the first episode of the series yesterday. I concur it definitely doesn't have that charming feel of the original film. I kind of like the twist in terms of who needs to be rescued from evil this time.

Of course it was extremely predictable who you-know-who really was. So all of a sudden we're supposed to be caring about some young kitchen cook who's infatuated with the Prince? Yeah, there must be more to it. I'll likely watch the second episode later today. Hopefully they'll have an explanation as to why Willow was the only one of two Nelwyns in his village. I had actually been looking forward to seeing dozens, if not hundreds of them. And the "well he just ran off to save Elora Danan" excuse as to explain where Madmartigan seems just too vague and concocted. Unless they explain something more, it just doesn't sound like something he'd do. I guess we'll see.

As far as the characters are concerned, I like Kit and Jade. As I've mentioned before, I'm glad that Joanne Whalley gets to reprise her role as Sorsha. Not sure what Graydon's role is after the palace scenes. IMO he's irrelevant and furthermore, expendable; but I could change my mind. Boorman is a weird character, he's important to Sorsha in some way. I take it that Airk has taken on his womanizer characteristic from his father. Obviously he was named after Madmartigan's red-haired, bearded friend from the movie.

I can't say I have.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Well ... Joanne plays a nurse and .. listen... see Michael Gambon has psoriasis , and ... he needs certain medical shall we say, and attention .. ..

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Basically, McMedieval. If you’ve ever been to a Ren Faire in the United States, you’ll know the feeling.
    Willow: The Way of the Well

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    dp

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes?

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

dp4m likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've just watched the second episode. It answered a handful of my questions from the previous episode; namely
    where were all the Nelwyns and well vaguely...what happened to Madmartigan. It was nice seeing the dozens of little people; I was afraid they'd do the LOTR approach of just shrinking normal people down in size with special effects. Initially I thought on the possibility that Mims was being played by the same actress who played her in the film, but the one in the series was actually born about a decade after the movie filmed. What happened to Willow's son? I guess it's implied that Kiaya isn't alive for this series. She was a sweetheart in the film.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Episode 3 - They fired the lighting director before filming it.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, a lot of the episode was shot day-for-night. Everything was perfectly visible though.

This episode was a big step up from the previous two in my opinion. I don't know if it was the change in director (the first two episodes were directed by Stephen Woolfenden, while this was directed by Debs Paterson), or if it just took them a while to find their feet, but this felt like the same world as the movie. I really liked it actually.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe for you, I saw next to nothing for a good half of the ep.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well that was a little better,

Willow has plot magic. He has power but can't use it unless it's the only way out.

We meet two fun characters out in the woods who are far too quickly killed, but then Elora learns people will die for her.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The fight choreography was easier to see and follow. But I kinda wish it had been harder to see, cuz it wasn't very good.