main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Forget all you know, or think you know." - The Willow Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Another blah episode.
    This ^^^^^^^^^

The Brownie cameo was pretty sad. The trailers got you all excited that they'd be their usual funny selves and bring some belly laughs to the show, but apparently they're just too old. It was like a tease. I'm still not keen on any of the actors/characters for the most part. So Jade is among Kael's offspring...and she's infatuated with the daughter of the one who killed him. Didn't see that one coming...maybe if I was paying attention I'd have guessed it. The dialogue is still cringe-worthy; and outside of a slimmer between Kit and Jade, I haven't found any good chemistry with any actors. I feel bad, because I'm sure Warwick Davis has enjoyed his return to the character that put his name on the map. I watch these episodes merely because it's there, but I still find myself paying attention to the time left.

At the very least, they could've used Joan Jett's cover of the song, but I guess Disney didn't want to pay for the royalties.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Plot-wise it feels like it hasn't gone anywhere because it hasn't. There's no sense of urgency to save Airk but they make sure to talk about it each week otherwise we'd forget why they're all together on this "quest" in the first place.

105 "Wildwood" was a slog. I had 13 minutes left in the episode and I almost turned it off.

Sadly there are still 3 episodes left.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, weird -- I loved that last episode. Sorry it's not working for you. Go to hell, Tony! :p

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I watched the original movie, and how do I put this….some of the actors have grown.

Grown worse at acting.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Just watched the new episode.

That’s about it.

I don’t like this.

I wonder what they plan to destroy next?

Sarge and TiniTinyTony like this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The thing is, each week, I want to like it . The magic just isn't there, with the writing and in the fantasy sense. It's got "A Knight's Tale" vibe except the characters are actually likable and work well together in that movie. Boorman was the most likable character but has just become a walking contradiction.

In Willow '88 I cared about baby Elora as I didn't want to see a baby get hurt so I was almost immediately endeared to the character. Her reaction shots are funny and warm the heart. When we're introduced to Willow he's a simple farmer with a family and when his wife gives him a lock of her hair before leaving - tears! Willow and Meegosh's friendship immediately made me think of Sam and Frodo and I loved them together. I could go on and on, gushing over the original, and unfortunately there has not been one point in the ~5ish hours of the new series that gives me one good reason to care about any of the characters.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    Ahsoka's Tano and Sarge like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Honestly, I'm not sure why they chose this as a story that needed expanding.
    I don't think the original movie is that good and is it even hugely popular?
    I don't recall a toy line for it or a huge fanbase.

Who was supposed to get excited about this show, Warwick Davis fans?

It certainly has potential like most fantasy shows, but like so many Lucasfilm productions these days it doesn't know what it wants to be & so it's nothing

Sarge likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think I'm watching it just to watch it.

9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't think it needed expanding. I think a sequel has been talked about for a very long time. I think audiences wanted more adventures with a young Willow and Madmartigan similar to when Star Wars ended in '83 and people wanted more adventures. Unfortunately, we didn't get them then so we're getting them now, and in both instances, they've been lackluster to say the least.

Personally, I think Warwick Davis is great. The British mockumentary "Life's Too Short" is pretty darn funny.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It had a toy line. If there is an opposite to "action" figures, the figures were that. They had no movable limbs. They just stood in their set position. Or, tipped over, rather.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Its an ok tv show.

12. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Just finished episode 5. I think Warwick Davis is great in this series - he's very subtly funny. And the situations this group find themselves in are so ridiculous, with just enough movie nostalgia, I can't look away. I wasn't even a big fan of the movie but I love every reference the series makes to it - including the trolls at the end of this episode, something only barely glimpsed in the movie.

There's a lot of mythology under the surface in the Willow movie that didn't get fleshed out because it followed the narrow story of Willow protecting the baby, and this series is exploring the larger world that was barely hinted at. Maybe the movie didn't need expanding, but it's so rich with potential, why not? I'm glad this series is doing it.

Unfortunately, I think the overall reception to the series has been lackluster, so I'm not confident there will be a second season, but I really hope there is.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    With 3 episodes left, I'm hoping the writers actually wrote a "satisfying" conclusion to the story they're presenting, but I have a feeling they're mostly world building and tying movie threads/characters to the series.

There is a rich mythology with lots of names and places dropped in the film that you have to watch multiple times to catch. I do love the movie but there are moments of "tell" instead of "show" where I'd prefer the "show" rather than the "tell".

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Tbh, at this point comparing the movie to the series is just giving a disservice to the film. There was chemistry among all of the characters in the film. Willow and Kaya. Madmartigan and Sorsha. Willow and Meegosh. Willow and Madmartigan. Even Bavmorda and Kael lol. You have to dig deep to find anything in the series.
    Maybe the two kids Kit and Jade; but it seems pushed for the most part. The Graydon and Elora thing is like two pieces of cardboard. And if that ever develops further into something more, will everyone just forget about Arik completely?

Sarge and TiniTinyTony like this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is the Slaughtered Lamb a reference to an American Werewolf (altho I can't think why)?

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    There is a bar in NYC called the Slaughtered Lamb. I went there with friends for my 21st birthday. I don't remember that night at all.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught up on the last two episodes. It's frustrating but still just enjoyable enough to keep with it. Episode 4 was actually pretty good on the whole. Just needed to be a little tighter. Episode 5 meandered but I'm surprised Kasdan restrained himself from making the drinking game an overt Raiders homage.

There are some character pairs that have good chemistry but they haven't clicked together as a group yet. Kit/Jade work, Boorman bounces well off anybody (or, in the case of a door, any thing), Elora and Kit are starting to work, and Willow and Graydon actually seem to work together well, oddly enough (there just hasn't been much of that yet).

But I still don't like how the series is shot, as far as a look and tone goes. And that is magnified by how every episode seems to be about 33% great, 33% terrible and everything else ending up anywhere in-between depending on the episode.

But if they dropped the pop music and changed up the directors and directors of photography for Season 2 (and maybe even the editors), the show would be immensely better without having make any cast or writing changes.

It wasn't a huge hit, but was a big release- and long notable for its multiple special effects breakthroughs. And it grew in popularity on video over the years. Partially because it has been part of the "Big Three" of LFL productions, alongside SW and Indy. THX even used it as part of their tech demo laserdisc as well. Though, of the Big three, it has obviously always remained in the shadow of the other Two, as it never had more than one installment.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I started watching it and after 12 minutes I realized I was 12 minutes closer to death, and I turned it off.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Wow, you didnt really like Willow.:p

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No, I just like every other part of life better.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just watched the lastest episode.

As if you didn't think the show couldn't get any dumber or more cornier, now trolls have personality? Ugh. Talk about cringe-worthy. They're this episode's comic relief. Christian Slater's appearance (albeit brief, single-episode) was somewhat interesting for awhile; but like the rest of the main characters, I still don't particularly care for any of them. And just like the last episode, we get a brief glimpse of Jim Morriso...I mean Airk. Don't ask me where the heck he is; I haven't a clue.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Darth Smurf and Sarge like this.
  22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Nothing can save the show for me at this point. It will be a one and done for my clicks on the rate count.

So the trolls are now white and smart yet still dumb af.. ok

Good Vibrations. No!

The red hair is coming back. Ok that’s fine and I still wonder if Bahvmorda comes back the hair from the spell in movie will play any part with her essence..

I can’t stand any part of Jade and Kit together or separate.

Boorman and the other kid are the only ok characters in this show for me and they are overdoing Boorman being Boorman imo.

Airk can only be interesting to me at this point if he goes full Bahvmorda evil heir.

This show is a stinker.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I didn't remember there was a new episode today until it was getting dark. And I still didn't rush to watch it for a few hours. Apparently I'm losing interest.

At least for the totally inappropriate pop song this week, it was the original and not a really bad cover. I actually sat through the credits just cuz that's a great song.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Good song, just how it's supposed to relate to anything going on in the show is beyond me.
    I guess maybe we're supposed to think that there's good vibrations with whoever that girl is that Airk meets in that great beyond place, but that was about the last two minutes of the show, so it's only left to interpretations at this point.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    None of the songs belong in this show. I don’t get what they were going for with them but whatevs.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.