main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum avatars from Episode VII concept arts

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth_Pevra, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They should be banned.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well technically, this is the only section where absolutely no spoilers are allowed. Every other section, PT, OT, Saga, etc, it's all free reign when it comes to Ep VII spoilers. It's true that asking us who do not want to be spoiled to be confined to this one tiny section is rather unfair, but I'm afraid there's just not much that can be done about it so that it's reasonably fair for all parties

Revious Nugo likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm not sure. Aren't you required to put Episode VII information in spoiler tags in say the tv-forum?

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm, just checked the spoiler policy and yes, seems you have to put a warning if there's a post with spoiler info. Huh....

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    So, if you have to do that with posts, why are sigs and avatars excused?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Totally agree.

There was a similar conversation in Comms in the summer of 2013, right before the forums split into SA and NSA, and I think it should be reopened.

I was not under the impression that it was "free reign" all over the site either. There is a spoilers-allowed thread in Lit and in the YJCC, and in Saga, Darth_Nub mentioned last year that some spoilers would be allowed in that forum, although I don't think he said "free reign."

7. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yeah, a super tricky situation. I can see why the spoiler folks would want to have the concepts as their avatars if they're out there and I'm not sure expecting our awesome mods to also keep up with every single user's avatar is a reasonable ask. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to find out a big plot point from seeing someone's avatar (full disclosure: I read tons of rumors up until about three weeks ago, when I felt I had read one too many and made the vow to go spoiler-free from that point forward, but do still pop into 7SA to visit the GIL thread there). When I saw that concept art had leaked, I had a feeling some folks there would be using some of the images as avatars, so have become accustomed to not looking to the left of posts, just looking at the bottom to see who posted. Not super reliable or easy, but better than avoiding every other forum here.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right about the mods, but asking users not to go there with their avatars, is not too much really.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We've actually been having a discussion about this already... please stay tuned.

10. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    It might just be me, but if you're a spoiler hound and decide to put an image (that's a spoiler) as your avatar...what would you be doing running around the No Spoilers Allowed section? I hope someone puts a stop to it. I know people are excited for the movie, but think of those of us that don't want to be spoiled!

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Maybe it would help to put a sticky in 7SA, asking members to please refrain using concept arts as avatars in other parts of the Forum.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I think the issue is actually those spoiler hounds then posting in other forums (Lit, SWTV, Collecting, etc.) with those avatars while non-spoiler folks are also going there.

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

It's not exactly free rein - my thinking is that Saga should be "spoilers allowed" where relevant (Ep VII isn't yet included as an actual part of the 'Saga', but the ST is certainly related to a number of discussions), but I'd still like to keep it somewhat friendly for users wanting to go spoiler-free, so any spoiler content should be flagged pretty clearly, and spoilers aren't allowed in thread titles. Policy here (also applies to CT):

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/sw-saga-in-depth-forum-eps-vii-ix-spoiler-policy.50019106/

However, I'm planning on treating this more as a housekeeping issue and will edit titles and content if need be, I won't necessarily come down hard on anyone who includes spoilers in posts or thread titles, unless they keep doing it after being asked not to - in which case it's a separate issue to violating a non-existent spoiler-free policy. More of a courtesy to fellow users than a hard-and-fast rule.

Avatars - as EHT mentioned, it's being discussed, stand by.

Frank T., Seagoat, EHT and 2 others like this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    A new policy announcement is coming soon...

Seagoat and DarthWilliams like this.
  15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  16. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Thanks, EHT!!!

EHT likes this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007