main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Upgrade 2017

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Dec 23, 2017.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    As long as I can access the site and the basic look remains I’m cool. So I’m a fan of the upgrade.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Since everybody is ignoring @Nanaki who asked about Tapatalk, I'm asking, too. :p A bunch of us use it to catch up with whatever's new, without essentially using a browser and a more complex interface. It's just handy on the go. It's not only a couple of weirdos using it.

Another thing that would be awesome to have as an option would be to expand quoted posts by default, should we want it that way.

Other things I noticed so far:

- The horizontal rule BBCode does not work.

- The smiley pop-up is not loading and, from what I have seen, it's supposed to load on the bottom of the edit box.

- The option to edit the topic title is confusing and once accessed, it's not possible to change prefixes as well.

- When an user info modal pops up, the username is barely visible - on a high-quality desktop computer monitor. The contrast is low.

Other than that, since I stalked you on social media throughout and bugged you more than anybody else did - thank you so much for everything you have done. When I saw that the theme was called "FlatAwesome" I had some concerns because the whole flat trend tends to be kind of blah, but it turned out beautiful. Search works, MULTI-TAGGING IS FINALLY THERE...so, yeah, almost perfect, overall. BRAVI E BRAVE! :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Tarsier, Binder-lover and Nanaki like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Had a nice hour long outage just now.

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Nice look, well done
    Merry christmas for all The Force page!!

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I wrote up a post here before the update. Then copied it over to a Word document (as I often do). Then today when the forums came back up I pasted it in to post it, but whenever I try to post, preview or more options, I just get a "500 Internal Server Error" message.

Can you not successfully post copy/pasted things from other programs in here now?

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    are the boards working right ?

when I click on a board icon (Senate for instance ) I just get "No new threads have been posted "

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I have a question about conversations. I get messages from others fine, but where it says conversation participants, instead of something like 2, it says 0. When I try to reply, I get "A server error has occurred. Please try again later." :confused:

8. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    Yep, same here.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Guys thanks for your input. We are aware of some of these issues and we are working to iron things out.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I dig the new layout!

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Looks good.

I appreciate all the work you folks are doing. Especially as some one who is very much not a tech savy person.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Due to RL (I'm giving my phone a few minutes charge before I head across country), I cannot check my sources until maybe Wednesday, but when I ran a SW club website, I deliberately investigated making my content suitable across platforms.

That, I believe is the correct approach, but not if you have set width to "Fixed", which I believe was a response we got earlier in this thread.
    If you set width to a number of characters across the screen, then regardless of resolution or platform, what passes for memory with me, thinks that that the characters will expand or shrink to fit the environment, but you will always get that character count across your screen.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm getting the Error Code 500 when trying to paste from Word, too, and don't see the smilies.

Still, seems to be running more smoothly! Yay, @Grahame & all the hard-working Admins who have been sweating over this for a few months! If I could give you your own :r2: as a thank you, I would! [:D]

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Looks great, lets see how it runs.

15. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Sorry for any brief interruption there, I left a log turned on and it filled up the temp space. All fixed now.

edit : this may also have been the source of the problem with server 500 errors when pasting from word, but not 100% sure on that.

16. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    What about restoring the posts cut by the update in 2012?

17. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    My post just worked, that might've been it ;) Thanks!

18. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    There's definitely an issue with Tapatalk, server error log is full of errors. Hopefully @Grimby can take a look later, I'm not well-versed with the intricacies of plugins here yet (I just handle the server-side stuff).

19. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh, while we had the downtime about 20 minutes ago I also took the opportunity to upgrade PHP to v7.1 (we were on 5.4 because it was the last version that worked with Xenforo 1.1.x). Upgrading PHP seems to have fixed the speed issues.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Darned youngsters always changing stuff. Didn't need any of this fancy frippery back in '98. Harumph.

Don't mind me; I'm just feeling curmudgeonly.
    ;)

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    will take time to get used to.

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Aaaand...until this moment, I thought @Grimby and @Grahame were the same person, that one changed the username to the other. Now I'm laughing.

I get this when I try to respond to you. Maybe we're cursed.

That is not how CSS works. There is no point in teaching web developers how to use message boards and how to do their own job. Sure, we're the people who think everybody else is an idiot, but daaaaarn, aren't we smart? [face_tee_hee]

However, this would help:
    https://j.eremy.net/confused-about-rem-and-em/

That's the spirit! :) :) :) They totes deserve droids!

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I checked the CSS through Firefox's "Inspect Element" feature, and the forum is using a declaration of "max-width: 1180px;". So it is indeed a maximum width and not a fixed width. Also, I was using the forums on my phone earlier this morning, and it adjusted to the screen width just fine. So that's working.

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @jcgoble - cool, okay! That's good.

Although, there must be a setting that is creating the black vertical bars on the side...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am glad the boards are back on line this Is like a second home to me In a way Your all like family I was sad I might not hear from any of you during the Holidays.