main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Forum Upgrade 2017

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Dec 23, 2017.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Is the Senate completely gone, or am I doing something wrong?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    It's not like anybody asked me anything, but folks...how about making it easier on the tech guys by checking if they already answered your question?

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That's the issue being discussed immediately above your posts. :) In short, the prefix indexes need to be rebuilt, but they are encountering problems with doing so due to the length of time it takes.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes. I noticed that in Fanfiction Writing Resource when I sorted by something like Challenge or Characters.

5. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    That's the issue being discussed immediately above your posts. :) In short, the prefix indexes need to be rebuilt, but they are encountering problems with doing so due to the length of time it takes.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @Grahame - still having issues with the spammer rejections. I had one this morning (kevanshwartz) and I've left him there if you want to use the ID as a test for anything. I left the rejection reason off and unchecked the 'Notify user if action was taken' box. It still took a long time and ended with the
    502 Bad Gateway
    nginx/1.12.2

message. Looks like this might be on the deletion side of things. All of the approvals went through fine.

7. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks that gives me something to look at, it's mostly likely timing out when updating the users table with a delete but I'm not sure where yet. Will investigate. In the meantime I have a post on the Xenforo support forums about the Prefix issue, hopefully I'll hear back from them today.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Senate is still there but the tag is actually hard to see against the grey background. The US Politics thread is still on page 1 of Community - take a look there and you'll see what I mean. The forum mods might want to consider a change of color once we get tags working again.

Edit - I've mentioned the tag color in the Community thread in MS.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Vaderize03 likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    OK. I'll leave the spammer ID there for now. Thanks!

10. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, the issue with the prefix filtering is due to the Multi-Prefix add-on we're using - if I turn it off (so each thread only can have 1 prefix) the problem goes away and clicking on the prefix brings up the correct results. @Grimby can hopefully take a look at that add-on and see what's up. However since I turned off the Multi-Prefix add-on then turned it back on again, I can't find a thread that has multi prefixes so I'm wondering if I completely screwed that up [face_hypnotized]:_|[face_nail_biting]

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Fan Fic mods are the main ones that were looking into multi-tags - I'll leave a note in their forum and ask if they'd tried anything and if it's still OK.

12. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Well right now multi-prefix is back on, I just can't find any threads using it to see if I broke it completely (meaning it removed all multi-prefixes when I disabled the add-on).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Responded to you over in the Fan Fic Mod Forum - we couldn't do multi-tagging/prefixing prior to the upgrade. (Sorry for the delay - lunchtime for me..)

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Need example threads with multiple prefixes? I have two:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...he-light-bio-autobio-new-april-20th.50038900/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...enge-response-replies-december-03rd.50040093/

And nope, the prefixes were not removed - I added them a couple of hours after the upgrade was over and they never disappeared. :)

Feel free to test as much as you like, but don't delete them or something. :D

Unrelated:

1. Edit reason
    2. Strikethrough (works, but no button), blacked out spoiler and highlighted text (doesn't work).

Not sure if it's on your list.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Same here. Went to try and edit and found my older stories had been auto-locked with no (at least that I could see) way to unlock those old threads.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    @JediMaster Jen - do you have an example? I know the old Xenforo release didn't autolock threads. When we were on IGN it did though after 6 months of inactivity..

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @JediMaster_Jen - I had been told by a user that a thread locked at any time, would not be able to be manually re-prefixed, but I am running tests on a fic that I once self-locked, and it is showing single and multi-prefixes just fine.

Minor note - even though I can tick multiple choices, and the end result displays both prefixes when searched, during the process, the selection box only seems to display one prefix at a time.

Edit: Interesting. I dis-applied all the prefix choices on my test fic, and although Xenforo has obliged by not showing any, it still listed the story when I searched via one of the former tags.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    With regards to the empty pages, are there actually posts in those pages that we just can't see or are they just random empty pages?

19. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Just empty pages

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think they are just empty but Grahame could probably tell you better. Funny thing is I've seen something similar before - just can't remember when. It might have been when we first went to Xenforo. Otherwise it was when we were on IGN. If I can remember I'll post a link to the information.

Edit - ninja'd.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    .I knew dementia hadn't set in yet. There was a discussion on empty pages in the Tech Questions thread in Jan 2013. It starts here. The discussion links to this thread as an example.

There was also some mention of it in the Tapatalk thread back in 2013.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  22. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Yeah, I remember the old IGN boards auto-locked. Here's just one thread of mine, and keep in mind it's years since it was first posted. Not sure how long it's been since I edited it last. I'm not so concerned with the prefixes; just being able to unlock the threads themselves.

Giver of Light

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It does have a button; it's just buried under the Insert menu ("+" icon).

There's no autolocker on the story forum since we moved to XenForo, but threads autolocked in the IGN era (like that one) remain locked.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Well, d'oh on that one. :D

Послато са SM-J510FN уз помоћ Тапатока

JediMaster_Jen and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    I guess I'm frustrated because I was able to get into these threads after the move to restore the posts (due to the truncation issue) and now I can't. I admit I know somewhere between absolutely nothing and extremely little about how all of this works. So, my next question is, if I want to finish some of these fics, do I just need to start a new thread? Sorry I'm so full of questions.[face_blush]