main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Foundations of the Force- Pre TFA (Luke, H/L, Ben) **Ch 21 up 12/3**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ridley Solo, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, I felt so bad for Areila. I'm glad that she'll be alright. I love the closeness between Luke and Celleen. Great update! :)

2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thanks for reading, as always. Yes, I agree...Luke definitely deserves his own love.
    @Sara_Kenobi She'll be okay.

Reading all the mush on these boards must have influenced me, because the next chapter has a lot of it! Checking in first with the Solos.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Breha? Breha, where are you?" The not-quite-young mother wandered in and out of each room in her apartment, looking for her daughter. She had just washed her hands after changing a dirty diaper and had returned to find the changing pad empty.

Presently Leia paused and put her hands on her hips. The Force told her that her one year old was in no danger, so she was more annoyed than concerned. What she couldn't figure out was what room the baby was hiding in. She should have been able to see her-

A loud rattle and crash from the kitchen startled Leia, and she whipped around. A pair of chunky thighs and a diapered bottom sat behind an open cupboard amid a small pile of pots and pans. The former Senator smiled and crept around to see exactly what the baby was doing.

Breha picked up the pots and pans one by one, examining them, gumming the lids, and setting them aside. Presently she picked up a long-handled pot, cooed at her reflection, and then set the pot on her head like a hat, obscuring her vision.

Leia bent over at the waist. "What did you do?" she asked in mock consternation.

Breha giggled and grinned, showing her four teeth. "Dadada!" she babbled happily.

"Dadada's not home yet," sighed Leia, "and you need some clothes on, young lady."

To be fair, Breha wasn't really talking yet and called everything Dada...though she never used less than three syllables.

"Come here," Leia grunted, lifting her daughter into her arms and taking off the cooking pot. "You can try on hats later."

Breha squealed, clung to her mother, and blew a raspberry in her face.

Leia grimaced and wiped the spittle off her cheeks. "Darling, if you were trying to kiss me, that's sweet. But you don't use your tongue." She leaned out of the way of the spray and brought Breha back into the nursery to finish dressing her. In the process she marveled at how different her children were, even at such a young age.

Ben had been a baby somewhere in the middle, active but not fussy. Walking at nine months, he turned into a laughing holy terror, never stopping or slowing down until he was asleep. But even then he had showed his tendencies as an introvert, shy around strangers and not easily warming up to people.

Breha was the exact opposite. She had colic for the first four months, making Leia think that Ben had been the easy one. But when her tummy issues were resolved and she was sleeping through the night, she turned into an angel. Rather than be the active wiggly bean that her brother had been, she was more casual in everything she did; eating, sleeping, and moving. She had been crawling since the age of eight months and only just started walking, but had been babbling since six months. She was turning into a real talker. Finally, she didn't know any strangers and was as outgoing and enthusiastic with them as she was with her family. It seemed at times that the only two things Ben and Breha had in common were blood and the Force.

Leia smiled absently as she snapped a onesie onto her daughter. It was no surprise that Breha had inherited that part of the Skywalker legacy. While the presence she felt had not been as intensely strong as Ben's, Leia had sensed it since the beginning. The practice she had with the Force had certainly helped this time around, and she found some things easier. She was even learning how to use the Force to calm her daughter when she was upset.

And the influence wasn't limited to Breha. Leia had grown even more perceptive around her peers and friends, sensing their moods without much of a pause. When Leia had visited Ben at the Temple in the last month before Breha was born, Luke saw her progress and expressed how proud he was of his sister. While she felt as if she'd never be a full Jedi, she finally felt at ease with the power she had inherited. The Force was no longer a source of fear or mystery. It was a friend.

Thinking of Luke, Ben, and the Temple pinched Leia’s heart. She’d heard about the horrible accident between Areila and the lightsaber. Ben was quieter than ever during their last comm call and nearly cried upon seeing Breha. He did address his mother’s concern by saying everything would be fine when Luke came back.

Luke’s brief messages saw him red-eyed with too little sleep and too many tears. Otherwise he seemed all right, and spoke of how feisty Areila was. After ten days she was well enough to leave the medical center, but had weeks of recovery and physical therapy ahead. Luke and Celleen had decided to stay in the Capital until it was over, rather than make multiple long trips four times a week. In the meantime Bez and Cham were teaching the others.

Presently Leia sighed. She wasn’t sure how to feel. While happy that Areila would be all right- and for Luke’s newfound romance with Celleen -she couldn’t help but wonder how all this was affecting the rest of the students...

Breha wiggled her toes as her mother wrestled her tiny feet into socks, looking over her mother's shoulder with a curious coo. Half a moment later Leia sensed the familiar presence of her husband arriving at the door...and he wasn't alone. Someone was with him...someone she knew, but couldn't identify.

"Hey, we got company," called Han with a grin. "Anybody home?"

Breha squealed in recognition and squirmed out of her mother's arms to toddle unsteadily for the door. When she tripped, the baby resorted to crawling.

Leia smiled, swept her daughter back into her arms, and walked out to see Han standing there with a huge grin and- "Chewie!" she cried with delight.

The two-meter-plus Wookiee raised his furry arms in greeting and gave a happy howl. He hadn't changed a bit.

Breha seemed to ignore the hairy creature. She had eyes only for her father and wiggled wildly, reaching for him. "Dadadada!"

"Hey, sweetheart," chuckled Han, willingly coming over to pick his daughter up and give both her and his wife a kiss. "How are my girls?"

Breha stuck out her tongue, patting her father's arms. "Da!" she squealed again.

"I think she missed you," said Leia.

"I missed you too, Breha." Han kissed his daughter's forehead. "C'mon, say it for Chewie. 'Dada'. Dada?"

"Da!" crowed the baby. She bounced on Han's arm. "Dadada!"

"Ah, well. Close enough." He tickled under Breha’s chin, making her giggle.

Leia had since moved in to give Chewbacca a warm hug. “Chewie, it’s so good to see you. How is your family?”

Chewbacca shrugged, nodded, and launched into a long series of howls, grunts, and growls.

Leia bit her lip. She still wasn’t the expert Han was in Shyriwook, but she caught the general idea. “Your son came of age? Oh, congratulations! And your wife wants...what was that?” Leia knit her brows at that last phrase.

Han grinned. “He’s gettin’ underfoot. Malla wants him outta the house so she can get stuff done and he can’t take two steps in his hometown without bein’ swamped with admirers. All the attention’s makin’ him nervous. So he asked if I wanted to have him as a copilot again. Part time, of course.”

Leia nodded in understanding. Chewbacca had helped free his people. Of course he’d be a celebrity. Being seen as a hero of the Rebellion made it difficult to live a normal live. Han and Leia both had to deal with the problems of holonet reporters hovering around any time they made an appearance. Luke, as he was out of the public spotlight most days, had practically become a legend. Leia didn’t blame Chewie one bit for wanting to get away from it. “Oh. I see. Well, I hope you and Han can work as well together as you always have...maybe with you around, he won’t get himself into as much trouble.”

Han threw his wife a look of mock-annoyance. “Hey! I don’t look for trouble, it just finds me.” When Chewbacca gave a knowing chuff of laughter, he frowned. “Thanks a lot. Y'know, I got an idea. Why don’t we all take off to Devaron for a day or two? Even take Goldenrod. I’m sure Luke’d want to see everyone, and Chewie, you could see how tall Ben’s gotten now. It’d be like old times, everybody together.”

Leia sighed wistfully. “Han, I really don’t think now is a good time. Luke is still in the capital with Celleen and Areila and...well, it’s going to take them some time to settle in again after what happened.”

Han grimaced in remembrance. “Ah, blast. You’re right. Well...we’ll give it couple months, then...call and ask. How’s that sound?”

Leia smiled and nodded. “That might be better...” She made a mental note to contact her brother and check in to see how Areila was doing.

Their pace was slow, easy, and unhurried. To anyone passing by they could easily be a family walking home.

The human woman held the hand of the little girl, careful not to cling too tightly or disturb the thin bandage. The girl, her wispy looped ponytails somewhat askew, kept her attention on the frozen treat in her left hand. The human man, shorter than the woman but still with an air of strength and calm, stood protectively next to them both. Though few would recognize him without robes or lightsaber, he was still not a figure to be trifled with. No one gave them more than a second glance.

For Luke it was an odd feeling to be walking down the main streets of Montellian Serat, the capital of Devaron, without the trappings he was used to. All he had with him were the two girls he loved more than anything. Seeing the green stain on Areila’s tongue as she licked at her cone of shaved ice, tears finally dry, he smiled. It was good to see her feeling better.

It was a long, difficult, and painful month for them all. It had taken a full week for the gaping wound on Areila’s little hand to close, and ten long days before she could leave the medical center. The first week had been the worst. Bones and tendons had been repaired, but skin and muscle had to grow back. The hole was sealed with an absorbent, healing material that had to be changed twice a day, when Areila’s hand was soaked in bacta to help regenerate the tissue. Areila hated every minute of it and screamed in pain when her bandages were changed. Once it was over, Luke was able to calm her down enough to eat a little before the painkillers could be administered and she could go back to sleep.

Celleen hated seeing her daughter be put through such agony and had to leave the room during treatment. Otherwise she refused to leave Areila’s side except to use the facilities or get a bite to eat, and only trusted Luke to be there when she wasn’t. Her mood alternated between regret and recurrent anger. Often she told Luke that without him she’d lose her mind.

Luke’s emotions were just as raw as Celleen’s, but he did a better job of hiding or controlling them. He sat with Areila during her treatments, doing what he could with the Force, and was there with caf, food, or just a shoulder to cry on whenever Celleen needed it. He took little sleep the first few days and at least twice Celleen had returned to find him passed out in the chair, his hand covering Areila’s. Celleen couldn’t help but love him for that.

Leaving the medical center didn’t mark the end of it. Areila had physical therapy four times a week to strengthen her hand and promote further healing. It hurt, and she didn’t like it, but soon the girl learned to push past her pain and do what the therapists asked. Today had been her last day. Luke had gotten her the shaved ice as a surprise reward for finishing...and to take some of the ache out of her sore hand.

Presently the Jedi glanced at Celleen. He finally sensed calm within her, as well as a strong sense of relief. Fears for her daughter’s future had gone, as had the lingering anger at Gavin. She still felt strongly about keeping lightsabers high and out of reach- and possibly delaying the building of new ones -but felt no animosity whatever toward Luke...though one didn’t have to be a Jedi to see that.

Celleen caught Luke’s gaze, smiled, and reached out to smooth back a few stray wisps of hair from Areila’s face. Luke had supported her, and she had supported him. When exhaustion made him pass out on a couch or the bed at the inn they currently stayed at, she took off his boots and covered him with a blanket. When he forgot to eat, she was the one to shove food under his nose and make it an order. If he even hinted about feeling guilty for what had happened, she shot the idea down cold. When he expressed his love for either her or Areila, she kissed him…hard and for extended periods of time, if they were alone or Areila happened to be asleep.

Luke smiled back. He could find contentment with this woman and her daughter. Already he had made up his mind that, as soon as he found the time and everything had settled down, he was going to ask Celleen if she wouldn’t mind becoming a family.

Bez would protest, of course, but that didn’t bother Luke. He and Celleen could explain things as calmly and rationally as possible, listing all the practical reasons why it made sense, and then let her come to her own conclusions. The only ones whose reactions Luke worried about were Ben and the others who had never liked Celleen. They put up with her, but...

Luke’s smile faded as he thought of his students. He needed to get back to them. Bez and Cham were doing well in their roles, but his work as a Jedi was far from over. There was more to learn, more to apply, and more students to find. Twelve was a start but it wasn’t nearly enough to protect the galaxy. Once Cham and perhaps Alara had been knighted, they could seek out and take on students of their own; the same with the others who were nearing the end of what Luke could teach them. Hopefully by now they all believed enough in what they were doing to want to pass it on. He was going to have to discuss this with Celleen later. He didn’t even know if she wanted to go back with him.

When ‘later’ came after dinner and Areila had gone to sleep, Luke sat heavily on the edge of his bed, taking in and letting out a deep breath. He looked over when Celleen flopped down beside him with an exaggerated sigh.

“Tired?” asked Luke.

“No...I mean, yes...but...more relieved than anything,” admitted Celleen. She rolled over on her side to face him, head propped up on her hand. “I’m just so glad that it’s over. No more medics or needles, no more bacta treatments, no long therapy sessions...it’s finally over.”

“Areila is doing better,“ agreed Luke, looking at the sleeping girl. “There is still the checkup in a couple of months, and she’s not quite back to normal yet, but...the difficult part is over with now.” He turned back to Celleen and found her with fresh tears. “You all right?”

Celleen nodded and smiled. “I’m happy...happy we can leave...and you can get back to your students. Poor things, putting up with Bez all this time. They’ll be so gladto have you back.” And she laughed and wiped her eyes.

Luke’s return smile was reserved. Now that they were on the subject... “They’re fine. But you’re right, I have to get back to them. As a matter of fact, I wanted to talk to you about something.”

Celleen pushed back up to a sitting position, caution written on her face. “You’re going to ask me and Areila to stay, aren’t you.” It was a statement, not a question.

Luke shrugged. “I can understand why you’re apprehensive about it. But you’ll be safe this time, I promise. I’ve already called Master Bez and she has the students building lock boxes for their lightsabers. As for the rest, I’m going to have them wait a while...maybe until after they’ve been knighted. They’ll be more responsible by then and-”

With a sad smile Celleen reached over and covered Luke’s mouth with her hand. “No, Luke. I appreciate the effort, but...I just can’t. No matter how much you do, you can’t be everywhere at once. You can’t control how careless or responsible any one of your students is, and none of you are perfect. Besides,” she sighed, “even I can see how much of a distraction we’ve been. It’s better for everyone if we just keep our distance from now on.”

Luke couldn’t hide his disappointment. He sagged on his joints and felt all enthusiasm leave. He couldn’t really blame her, but...does she mean keeping her distance from me, too? Have her feelings changed?

“Hey,” said Celleen with a frown. “Don’t look at me like that. And don’t you think for a minute my feelings for you are any different.” She ran her hand along his jaw.

“I understand,” sighed Luke with a nod. He was still sad that she didn't want to be with him in the Temple. That made the idea of proposing marriage all the more out of reach.

“We won’t be far. I’m going to look at Tikaroo and see if I can find work and a place to live…maybe one of the pikhron herders needs help.” Celleen managed a smile. “Smile, Skywalker. You’re so much better looking when you do.”

Luke’s mouth twitched in amusement. “Are you saying I’m only good looking when I smile?”

Celleen traced a line around his mouth. “No, but your smile is your best feature. That, and your eyes…” She studied them thoughtfully, tracing his eyebrows. He still had a boyish quality about him, and yet all his life experience had put a kind of solemnity into his eyes. Thin, faint scars from two decades of injuries seemed to fit with the cleft in his chin, which stubble had hidden until he had finally managed a shave. His face was both eternally young and old…and Celleen found it irresistible.

Luke still wasn’t used to the way Celleen touched his face. He had never thought of himself as good looking, even when multiple people had called him ‘cute’ or even handsome. His dishwater blond hair was shaggy and he was a head shorter than most men. He also had a neutral expression that seemed to him painfully naïve. Han called it ‘freshly punched’. The Jedi cleared his throat. “Why would a beautiful woman like you think that?” He asked, lifting a lock of honey colored hair out of her face.

“You really need to learn to take a compliment,” remarked Celleen with lifted brows. “I knew Jedi encouraged humility, but this is ridiculous.”

“Old habits,” shrugged Luke. He tried to keep his voice steady as Celleen resumed her casual tracing of his face. In return he reached out and smoothed her hair. “It’s good to see you happy again.”

“Same here. Thank you….for everything.”

“Glad I could help. I love you.”

Celleen responded by leaning in for a kiss....a long and hard one. That and the force of gravity ended the conversation until, a few minutes later, Luke paused and held himself at arms length, clearing his throat.

Celleen’s shoulders sagged with disappointment. Before she could raise vocal protest, Luke threw a meaningful glance at Areila. Celleen cringed, but had to nod. She hadn’t been thinking. After Luke smiled in apology and rolled off to prepare himself for bed, she lay on her side with her cheek propped up on one hand to watch him. She didn’t miss the soft smile he directed at Areila, nor the way he reached over to straighten her blanket before kissing her forehead. He really did love them. How did I manage to find the perfect man? Wondered Celleen.

For her part, she had no intention of letting this one go.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Breha is just just adorbs! [face_love] She is outgoing and easy to manage ;) - a relief and source of pleasure to her parents I'll bet!
    Happy to see Chewie again and H/L getting along so splendidly!

~~
    Sweet stuff with Luke, Celleen, and Areila. They really are a family, emotionally. So happy the therapy is over and a success.

Luke's precautionary measures are a good idea in any event and I understand Celleen's wanting to keep a physical, if not emotional, distance. Her musings on Luke were too sweet and ones I agree with completely!

I find Celleen very relatable as a mommy and a life-partner for Luke. You've given her a depth and realism that make her just-right for him. ;) =D=

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Luke has really found a perfect little family with Celleen and Areila. I loved baby Breha! =D=

5. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Of course I had to put Chewie back in! I didn't want Han flying all over the place alone. ;) And yes, Breha has to be adorable...since Ben is semi-paranoid, of course his baby sister has to be easier to manage.
    Aw, I'm so glad you can relate to Celleen! I wanted to make someone the reader would root for in her relationship with Luke.

@Sara_Kenobi Thank you!

This next chapter has more of a focus on the older Solo sibling and his thinking process.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter Thirty-Nine

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge…

It was nearing sunset in the tangled jungles outside Eedit Temple. Twelve out of thirteen students were inside, doing any sort of general tidying up that was required before the Evening Meal. Master Bez had insisted upon it during the times when Master Skywalker was away, and before long it had become a policy; clean tunics, clean hands, and clean quarters before eating.

There is no emotion, there is peace…

Only one student was not engaged in some sort of work at the moment. His chores had been finished hours ago, leaving him free to slink back to his favorite place- the Temple obstacle course- for solitude and meditation.

There is no passion, there is serenity…

There was group meditation in the mornings, of course. It was one of the few required courses for Jedi-in-training. But this young man didn’t like meditating in a group. Even in the silence of the cold stone walls, the feelings of his classmates bombarded his senses, making it difficult to concentrate. Only when he was alone did the unspoken voices quiet. Only then did he truly feel at peace.

There is no chaos, there is harmony…

He sat erect atop the three meter high post, hands resting upon knees, brows knit with deep focus. The Jedi Code may have been old, but it was a good phrase to meditate upon. Its sense of order and repetition helped still his mind and bring his strong emotions under control.

Of course Ben Solo knew he was only fooling himself with these silly words. He was a contradiction to the Code itself. His knowledge would never grow enough...his emotions often overtook his peace...his passion for learning and living up to the legend that was his family history occupied his thoughts...his mind was in constant chaos, except for these rare moments he could be alone.

There is no death, there is the Force…

Ben took another deep, cleansing breath. The Force was the only thing that had always been there, unchanging, empowering, and comforting. He could trust in the Force. People were fallible, but the Force was perfect.

No, he reconsidered, feeling a touch of guilt. The Force wasn’t the only thing he could trust. There was his family.

A smile touched the corners of Ben’s mouth in thinking of them. He could trust his mother. She was the most beautiful, the most honest, and the most caring of anyone he knew. Even when he made a mistake, she was there to welcome him. She put no pressure on him in any way, letting him grow at his own pace. No matter what happened or who he was angry with, Ben knew he could always speak with his mother.

He could trust his father...to a point, anyway. Ben still felt an unaccountable distance from him. Han did love his son. That much was obvious. But Han just couldn’t understand that power that was as a part of Ben as his hair or his hands. He never would, because he couldn’t feel it. Sometimes Ben envied Han that...he would never have to deal with the constant barrage of emotion from everyone else, nor the pressure to keep himself firmly rooted in the light when there was always that streak of darkness in his heart. But at other times Ben just pitied his father. To never know the Force was...tragic.

Ben’s smile widened as he thought of Breha, his baby sister. His fears about her being loud and overbearing were unfounded. Even at the age of two and a half, she giggled far more than she screamed. He envied that she could be so outgoing and didn’t distrust people...and her connection to their father. Jealous didn’t even enter him mind, because Breha was too small to know better. She couldn’t help that Han was utterly besotted with her.

Everyone was, really. She would probably have lots of friends when she started school. And she, unlike most of Ben's fellow students, actually trusted her big brother. She was the only one with no judgment, scolding, or worry. Breha just loved him because he was Ben. Hers was one of the few presences he could be completely open to, and he had no qualms about giving her rides on his back or pointing out her Force powers.

And Luke...Ben frowned before letting out the deep breath he had been holding. Yes, he could trust his uncle. He had always been there for his nephew, his understanding deep and unmatched. He could tame the monster lurking in the deepest corners of Ben’s heart. Luke was a teacher, a friend, a mentor, a role model that he could aspire to be like. When Luke spoke, others listened.

Ben saw his uncle’s most glaring flaw as an overabundance of compassion. He wanted to save the galaxy when he knew it would never happen. Even with all he had seen and learned Luke was still an idealist who chose to see the best in everyone. Ben, the realist, liked to choose who he would help.

Ben grimaced and shook his head as his thoughts wandered to Celleen. He had long ago given up the hope that the non-Force-user would leave, nor did he dare to hope Luke would forget about her...especially not now. Despite the warnings of Kusrai Bez and the unease of half his students, Luke had gone and fallen in love with Celleen. He had been away with them for a long and painful month after that freak accident with a lightsaber. Subsequently Luke’s stance on sabers had gotten stricter, despite the fact that Celleen and her daughter didn’t live at the Temple anymore.

The youth growled to himself. Stupid Gavin, leaving that lightsaber out. If not for that freak accident, the young Solo might have been able to build his own by now-

Ben’s thoughts were interrupted by a low whine overhead. He opened his eyes to see the familiar, battered ovoid of the Millennium Falcon soar in from behind and come around to land in the clearing next to the Temple. A slight smile returned to his face as he sensed the people inside.
    His family would be expecting him. Crouching on the edge of the post, he sprang for the nearest rope, lowering himself down to the ground before taking off at a jog.

Luke could hardly stop smiling as he greeted his family. Leia, he embraced. Han, he gave a brief hug and an enthusiastic handshake. For Threepio- indignant at always being left behind -he had kind words and a gentle point toward Artoo. Chewbacca had his own greeting and practically picked Luke up, howling enthusiastically. Luke laughed and took Chewie’s arm in return before finally turning to his niece, who sat happily in her father’s arms.

“Hi, Breha. Remember me? I’m your Uncle Luke,” smiled the Jedi and extending his hand to her.

Breha grinned and leaned over to wrap her arms around Luke’s neck. “Unca Yuke! Dada, Mama, Unca Yuke! Unca Yuke heew,” declared the toddler.

Luke chuckled at her sweet lisp. “It’s going to see you, too. You’re getting big.”

Breha grinned proudly at the compliment. “Yeah! Big-big-big!” She looked around inquisitively. “Ben! Beya wan’ Ben! Weh Ben? Unca, get Ben!”

Luke sensed the approach of his nephew and looked over his shoulder. “He’s coming, Breha.”

Breha’s eyes lit up upon seeing the breathless teenager skid into the clearing. “Ben!” she cried happily.

Ben smiled at his baby sister. “Hi, Breha. Did you miss me?”

Breha squealed happily, squirming to be put down. When she was, she darted straight over to her big brother and jumped up and down with excitement. “Ben-Ben-Ben-Ben-Ben! Hi, big buda! Big buda Ben! Hi! Beya fee Ben!” She babbled a mile a minute, then tugged on a corner of Ben’s tunic and lifted her arms. “Up, Ben! Up!”

Han, Leia, Luke, and Chewie all laughed at the display. “Miss ya’? Ya kidding? She hardly stops talkin’ about you,” said Han to his son.

With a grunt Ben picked up his little sister and balanced her on his hip. “I missed you too, Breha. It’s good to see you...good to see everyone,” he added, smiling for his parents and submitting to their hugs. He frowned a little when Chewie rumpled his hair, but laughed at the Wookiee’s enthusiasm. His smile faded again when Breha squirmed to be let down and ran back to her father. It stung a little to see how close Breha and Han were. Ben stuck next to Leia as the group turned to walk back into the Temple. When Celleen and Areila joined them, Ben sighed and focused his gaze on the Temple’s open doors. Do they have to be here?

After four years of growing affection for Celleen and Areila, Luke had gotten up his courage and asked Celleen to marry him. Celleen had said yes. It was Luke’s idea for the families to get to know each other better.

Ben honestly didn’t mind the idea of having a cousin, even if it was Areila. After her injury from Gavin’s lightsaber, the little girl had gone from the noisiest creature on Devaron to one of the quietest. She didn’t scream anymore, nor did she go out of her way to follow or annoy any of the Jedi students. If she so much as saw a stun stick hanging from someone’s belt, she whimpered and ran to hide behind Luke. She was also less obvious with her Force powers. Despite this her will was stronger than ever. She had done all the exercises required for her hand to regain its strength and regularly found ways to test it. Twice she had been caught trying to climb the first wall of the obstacle course. This determination had earned her Ben’s respect. He would have liked her if it wasn’t for her mother.

Areila’s injury had changed Celleen even more than her daughter. She had gone from inattentive to overprotective, never letting the girl out of sight and hovering almost every minute. As for Luke, her feelings about him were obvious. She couldn’t stop smiling when she was with him and found any excuse to hang on his arm or hold his hand. Affection was shown openly and on a regular basis. If she and Areila weren’t living in Tikaroo, Ben had no doubt that Celleen would soon distract Luke from every duty he had.

Not that Luke was any worse a Jedi for their presence. He was attentive, helpful, patient, and encouraging as he’d always been, though perhaps just a bit more cautious around lightsabers. When Celleen and Areila were around Luke’s attention did waver, but not for long. He was certainly happier these days, smiling and laughing more than ever. He seemed to be positively enjoying life. However much love he showed to his fiancée and future ‘daughter’, nothing was taken away from his students. Ben certainly couldn’t begrudge his uncle his happiness.

But he still couldn’t help but feel uneasy about the impending marriage. Master Bez had nearly left over the difference of opinion. She saw relationships as risky, even dangerous. The rest of the students were a bit more welcoming, but there was still a subtle division among them. Those who had fewer talents seemed more supportive than those with ambition.

Luke knew this and had tried to calm their unease. After a month everyone had finally grown used to the idea and did their level best to put up with it. Ben was the only one who didn’t even pretend to be happy. He knew instinctively that Master Bez was right and had already made up his mind not to be distracted by love.

Not that anyone would fall for me anyway, thought Ben with hunched shoulders. At fifteen he was finally starting to gain some muscle, though his frame was still extremely long and lanky. He had long ago passed his mother in height and was now even with his uncle. His face was long and thin, his ears still too big for his face- which had developed a bad case of acne. Looking in a mirror, Ben saw himself as awkward, gawky, and maybe even ugly. His voice had only just cracked and, to his unending disappointment, wasn’t a rumbling baritone like Han. Instead it was an uncertain, uneven tenor. All this had convinced Ben that no girl would ever like him as more than a friend. Alara competed with him as she did with everyone else and Chrysta treated him like a brother. Even Kodli Sey, the young Zabrak who Master Bez had taken on after knighting Nalko six months before, barely gave him a second glance.

“Ben? Are you coming?” called Leia at the doorway.

Ben started as he realized he’d been standing outside by himself. “Yes, mother,” he called.

Conversations lasted long into the night as everyone caught up with each other. Han’s shipping business was doing well enough that he had hired on several assistant managers so he didn’t have to spend quite so much time doing it alone. That gave him more time with his family, and now he was home every other week.

Leia, despite being well-prepared fro her life as a stay-at-home Mom, was getting just a little antsy to reenter public service. There was division in the Senate again and her allies were asking when and if she was going to run for office again. Leia decided to wait until Breha had started school. The next senatorial election wouldn’t be until after her fifth birthday anyway. Despite Han’s distaste for politics he couldn’t argue.

Han and Leia were eager to welcome Celleen and Areila to the family and gave their congratulations. When casually asked about the wedding, Luke turned red while Celleen was unconcerned.

“Pal, take some advice from a married man,” said Han, leaning over to Luke and pretending to lower his voice. “Make it quick...might start to lose your nerve.”

Leia jabbed her husband with her elbow while Celleen lifted her brows. Luke gave a sheepish smile and turned to his fiancée. “Well...I’ll let Celleen decide when she wants it.”

Celleen grew serious. “It’s not something I want to rush into. I did that once...never again.” When Luke looked worried, she chuckled. “Now, don’t go and get paranoid on me. I love you, I and want to spend the rest of my life with you. I just want to be completely sure this is going to work, both for us and for Ariela.” She threw a meaningful glance to the little girl, who had fallen asleep on Luke’s shoulder.

Leia smiled. “Looks like somebody’s ready for bed,” she remarked softly. A glance at her husband found Breha curled up against Han, also fast asleep. The four exchanged knowing looks.

“Don’t think she’ll have any problem with your gettin’ married,” said Han with lifted brows.

Luke seemed perfectly contented as he turned to Celleen. “Do you want me to put her to bed?”

Celleen shook her head. “No, that’s all right. You get caught up with your sister. Good night, Leia. Good night, Han. It was very nice seeing and speaking with you.”

Han and Leia sent the same, and watched as Celleen lifted her sleeping daughter into her arms and carrying her down the hall. Han saw the sense in this and carried Breha back outside to the Falcon. As the rest of the students had since gone off to their respective hovels, it left brother and sister alone at the table.

“I’m so happy for you both,” said Leia, reaching across to take Luke’s hand. “I’ve never seen you this content before. You’re right for each other. I can feel it.”

“Thank you,” said Luke. “It’s more than contentment, it’s...I can’t even describe it. It feels right...not just emotionally, but it’s as if...as if the Force itself approves,” he remarked in wonder. “That probably doesn’t even make sense.”

“It makes perfect sense to me,” smiled Leia, squeezing Luke’s hand. “And it’s good to see Areila doing so well. The surgeons did an amazing job with her hand. I can’t even see a scar now.”

“I have to admit, I was concerned for a while. But you’re right. Apart from a little stiffness now and then, it’s as if the injury never happened.” Luke sighed in relief, then tilted his head to one side, studying his sister. “Excuse me for saying this out loud, but I’m sensing unease from you. Is something wrong?”

Leia shrugged. “Not really. I was just wondering what your students think of your engagement.”

Luke nodded, trying not to cringe. “Ah. Well, I haven’t heard any vocal protests. Most have at least made up their minds to get used to it. Some are actually happy. I think the main fear has been that I’ll forget about them, but I’m hoping to show them that’s not going to happen. Celleen is certainly trying to endear herself to them. That’s helped some, but...” He shrugged. “I’m afraid the older ones are getting at little impatient to move on and reach knighthood.”

Of the students who had moved up in rank- Cham, Nalko, and Alara- two of them had stayed at the Temple. The other had left, on assignment from Master Bez to try and recruit more students. From all accounts, Nalko had practically beat a path to the door. Luke felt Gavin was ready for knighthood, but the young man had grown withdrawn since the accident, spending more and more time with the creatures in the jungle. He needed to get his confidence back before becoming a knight.

Leia grunted in understanding. “Whether you admit it or not, Luke, you’ve built something of a family here. A change like this is bound to cause some unease. I get the feeling Master Bez doesn’t approve?”

Luke grimaced. “After I announced Celleen and I’s engagement she spoke one word of warning, and then promised never to bring it up again. She’s kept her promise, but...you can tell she’s not happy about it. To be fair, she’s only trying to protect us. The only ‘attachments’ between Jedi that she learned about as a Youngling always led to disaster.”

The former Senator nodded. “That’s too bad.” Her next question was cautious. “What about Ben?”

Here Luke’s shoulders sagged. “I think you can sense his feelings. He doesn’t complain or make remarks or even make faces at the idea. He has told me that having Areila as a cousin won’t bother him. But he feels much the same as Master Bez does. Something is worrying him and I can’t get any specifics out of him, other than just ‘having a bad feeling’.”

“You know how Ben is. Maybe he’s just afraid of being forgotten.”

“He’s been told I don’t know how many times that he’s loved, he’s cared for, and he’s important. More recently I’ve sensed resignation. He's accepted it, but that doesn’t make him like it.”

Again Leia gave Luke’s hand a squeeze. “I wouldn’t worry. Sooner or later, Ben and everyone else are going to see what a wonderful woman Celleen is. Everything will work out.”

Luke smiled faintly in return. “I hope so.”

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I do hope that everything works out for Luke and Celleen. Breha is adorable! =D=:)

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Honest and well thought out reflections. The feelings towards his dad would understandably be complicated. Thankfully there is no lingering resentment or rift though. His feelings towards Breha and Leia seem to be the most uncluttered. :) About Luke -- those are natural feelings blending admiration as a role model and affection for him as a person [face_thinking] Finding Luke's unbounded compassion as a flaw -- that is insightful and even though it is a wonderful quality it could lead to unwanted consequences in particular situations. [face_thinking]

Loved the teasing and warm assurances between siblings. Leia has what I call "good people sense." I think if she approves of Celleen that speaks a great deal already.

8. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @Sara_Kenobi [:D]
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Ben is an angsty teenager, but he's not stupid. You are right about Leia; if she likes Luke's girlfriend, she must be okay! ;)

Look out for this chapter...it's a bit of a roller coaster. I apologize for the length this fic has grown to, but telling 20+ years' worth of story takes a while! [face_relieved]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter Forty

A low bellow startled Celleen out of the soundest sleep she had ever had. For a moment she lifted her head and looked around, wondering what it could have been. She almost thought it could have been Luke and looked over her shoulder to check...but no. That was ridiculous. Luke only snored when he wasn’t feeling well. He was on his side, right arm circling her waist, left arm crooked beneath his squashed pillow. His breathing was incredibly deep and even and there was a look of utter peace on his face. The bellow had been from a wandering happabore, grazing just outside the window.

Celleen rolled over and propped her head up on her hand to marvel at the man who, in only a few short days, would be her husband. After a year-long engagement the big day was in only another week, when Luke returned from his latest Jedi lore-seeking mission.

She remembered her first time seeing Luke and being somewhat disappointed. From all the stories about his exploits she’d expected someone a bit taller. But his personality more than made up for it. As a teacher he was impossibly patient, as a host he was gracious to a fault, as a guardian he was imposing and serious. He had such a generous heart that Celleen often worried about him giving too much of himself and being hurt. But it was this compassion that had made her fall in love with him.

He didn’t look half-bad, either. Those blue eyes were deep enough to drown in, and at nearly forty he was in excellent shape. Most of the time those rippling muscles were hidden beneath baggy Jedi tunics and trousers and Celleen only had a vague idea of just how strong he was.

She knew now. A smile rose as she ran her eyes up and down his lean frame. The thought of last night made her smile widen. It was a little disappointing that the lowing of the happabore hadn’t awakened him. Luke was a surprisingly heavy sleeper. Unless he was worried about something- which wasn’t often these days -the Jedi Master slept like a proverbial log and would only wake up in his own good time. And they had been up rather late last night...

Luke then stirred, gloved right hand stretching to find Celleen again.

Celleen wasn’t going to be caught that easy. She wanted him to wake up so they could kiss each other good morning. So she edged just out of reach, leaving Luke’s hand to slide off and hit the mattress.

The impact made Luke frown, pull in his hand, and force his bleary eyes to open. Drowsily he inspected his glove, as if expecting to see his wife-to-be sitting on his palm.

Celleen giggled at him. “I’m over here, you moof-milker.”

Luke blinked, ran an arm over his eyes, and finally focused on Celleen. “What are you doing over there?”

Celleen teasingly poked at the cleft in his chin. “I wanted you to wake up, but you were practically comatose.”

Luke was sheepish. “Guess we stayed up a little late.”

Celleen lifted her brows. “Are you just going to lie there, or can I kiss you good morning?”

Luke’s smile returned and he crept back over to his fiancée to oblige. “Good morning,” he murmured through her lips.

“Morning,” answered Celleen with a sigh. When Luke pulled back to smile at her, she scooted a little closer and kissed him harder.

“Mm...uh...okay, okay.” Luke laughed nervously as he edged his face away from hers. Just how late had he slept, anyway? “What time is it?”

“I don’t know...the sun’s up,” shrugged Celleen.

“Uh-oh.” Luke grimaced. He had to be at the hangar soon. “I’m going to have to leave soon,” He reminded.

Celleen frowned petulantly. “Already?”

Luke nodded. “I’m sorry, but I promised Ben I’d meet him at the hangar no later than 0800.”

The woman checked the bedside chronometer. “You’ve got an hour,” she whispered, wrapping her arms around his neck again. “It takes five minutes to walk there.”

“I know, but-” His protests were muffled by another kiss from Celleen, and he sighed again. Time together like this was always so short. Leaving was always the worst part...but no matter how much they hated it, it was a necessary evil.

Celleen certainly wasn’t making it easy on him. Her kisses were long and hard and she didn’t want to let him go.

When there was a long enough pause Luke pulled back and stroked her hair. “Much as I’d like to, I can’t stay here all morning.”

Celleen nodded with sagging shoulders. “I know. It’s never long enough,” she said, taking his scarred cheek in her hand. “We’re not going to see each other for a week. I’m going to miss you.”

Luke smiled sadly. “I’ll miss you, too. You know I’d take you with me if it was safe.”

“I know, and I’m not asking to come along. It’s important, what you do, and I don’t want to get in the way. I just want to savor this a little bit longer.” Celleen threaded her fingers in Luke’s thick hair. “Just a few more minutes, and then I promise I’ll let you go. Please?”

Luke tried to give Celleen a firm look...and failed miserably. And so the kissing resumed until Devaron’s star rose enough to slant light in through the window. It hit Luke right in his eyes. “Sorry, ‘Leena,” he whispered, rolling off to get dressed.

Celleen nearly groaned. “All right. I know you have to go, but...one more kiss?”

He smiling knowingly and sat next to her on the bed to put on his boots. “Hey. You promised. And you know if I stay here any longer I’ll never get out the door. You want Ben to come here looking for me?”

Celleen grimaced at the prospect. “I didn’t think of that,” she admitted, crawling out from under the covers to find her robe. Once Luke had finished loading his travel bag, she rose and captured his face one more time. “Be careful.”

Luke hooked an arm around her waist with a charming smile. “Always. You be careful, too. I’ve asked Alara and Cham to look in on you when they can. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.”

Celleen snorted. “Relax. Areila and I will be fine. Just come back to us.”

Luke nodded. “I will.” Together they headed out of the bedroom. When the passed Areila on her little cot- still asleep, of course -Luke popped in just long to kiss her forehead and tell her to be good. Leaving her deepened the ache in his heart. The girl, who had just turned six, was already calling him ‘Daddy’. Luke was determined to live up to that title.

It took another long, hard kiss to separate him and Celleen at the door. He could feel her eyes on him as he walked off down the hard-packed street of loam.

May the Force be with you, my love.

Ben took a deep, cleansing breath as he settled into the pilot’s seat of the Legacy, his uncle’s ancient Jedi shuttle. Artoo-Detoo’s enthusiastic whistle from behind almost made him crack a smile. Apparently the little droid was just an anxious to get going as he was.

The teenager had only started traveling with his Uncle on lore-seeking missions in the last few years, but it was one of his favorite things to do. He enjoyed the flying, the exploration, and especially the one-on-one attention. Here he felt completely at ease with the galaxy in general.

Luke came up behind his student and nephew and put a hand on the back of the chair. “How’s it coming? Is she warmed up?”

Ben nodded without looking up from the console. “Yes, Uncle.”

Luke nodded once. “Good. Let’s get going.” When Ben rose from the seat, Luke gripped his shoulder. “You go ahead and fly this time.”

Ben flinched. Did I hear right? He turned to his uncle in surprise. “Uh...me? Are you sure?”

Luke settled into the copilot’s seat. “Your father’s been telling me what a good pilot you are. I’d like to see for myself.” He buckled his restraints and nodded toward the console. “Go ahead. Start takeoff procedures.”

Ben’s mouth hung open for a second before his hands flew over the controls. He couldn’t keep the surge of nerves and adrenaline from rising as he buckled his own restraints, and it was a battle to keep his hands steady. “Fuel readings good…engines are running good...navicomputer is primed...activating repulsors.” He flipped a series of switched to his right and gripped the yoke. Slowly the ship began to rise. Once they were clear of the hangar, Ben eased the throttle forward. “Sublights activated.”

Luke nodded in watching his nephew. He wasn’t the least bit worried about letting him fly the shuttle. Ben had passed his pilot’s exam with ease and seemed to be an intuitive pilot. That was no surprise, given his heritage. “Good, nice and steady. Artoo, set course for Rodia.”

The barreled astromech warbled an acknowledgment.

Ben remained tense as they left the outer atmosphere and entered orbit. “Skies are clear. No orbital traffic.”

“All right-” Luke turned back to his whistling droid. “Course is set. We’re clear to jump.”

“Switching to hyperdrive.” Ben moistened his lips and settled his hand over the throttle, simultaneously easing from sublight to light-speed engines. He pressed his lips together and throttled forward. “Jumping...”

Stars stretches into starlines and the ship gave a rising whine. After the flash of light, they entered the blue tunnel of hyperspace.

Luke nodded in appraisal. “Good job.” A glance at his nephew showed his was still tense. “Ben...breathe.”

Ben let out the breath he had been holding in a rush and threw a sheepish smile to his uncle. He took in another deep breath and let it out slowly.

Luke smiled. “That’s better. All right, ETA to Rodia is...” he checked the navicomputer. “Eight standard hours. Good. Plenty of time.” He unbuckled his safety belt. “All right. Head aft. Let’s see how that lightsaber of yours works.”

Ben broke into an uncharacteristic grin and followed suit. “Yes, Uncle!” Eagerly he followed his uncle into the main hold, new lightsaber swinging against his hip. He had just finished building it two days before and couldn’t wait to try his skills with a training remote.

“No. This one goes there, that one goes there,” groaned Dev, shaking his head with annoyance. The main cooling unit had been acting up again, and it needed to be fixed if they didn’t want a Temple full of roast Jedi. He needed an assistant due to a lack of spare hands, but there were none to be found...so Master Bez had given him permission to draft someone. Now Dev was regretting his choice. I should have picked Faran, he thought sourly.

Gavin, meanwhile, bit his lip and tried to keep the tension out of his shaking hands. Even he couldn’t explain why he was so nervous. The main power was shut off and it wasn’t as if Dev didn’t know what he was doing. Something else was bothering him...something that had nothing to do with the task at hand. He just couldn’t figure out what.

If anyone else had noticed how distracted and distant Gavin had been since the departure of Master Skywalker, none but Master Bez made any remarks. Most thought he was still feeling guilty over the lightsaber accident nearly two years ago. While it was true that it had been the catalyst of Gavin’s self-doubt, the young man had managed to work through most of his guilt and get back to his training. Now he hardly thought about it except during sparring classes.

But Gavin still felt uneasy for some reason. The sense of foreboding had been growing steadily for the last six days and he couldn’t help but think it had something to do with Skywalker’s absence.

It just didn’t make any sense. Life at the Temple continued as it always had. He and Alara continued competing with one another, Chrysta settled in as unofficial Healer, Den grew anxious about advancing, and Master Bez was just as stuffy and strict as ever. Often she spoke with the Knighted Cham, wondering when he was going to pass on what he had learned and take on an apprentice. Cham still felt as if Den was his responsibility and didn’t want to take on anyone else until his ‘little brother’ had reached Knighthood. What was there to be nervous about?

Presently Dev sighed. “All right. Done. What’s up with you?” he asked, reconnecting the wires.

Gavin just shrugged. “I wish I knew.” Even as he spoke, the feeling grew. The back of his neck began to tingle, and his hand instinctively edged toward his lightsaber. It took an effort to pull it away and refocus. What was going on?

Dev flinched, taking another look at his fellow student. “What?”

Gavin brought a hand to his head, shaking it. “I don’t know,” he growled in frustration. “It’s almost as if...no, it can’t be.”

The young mechanic froze. “You feel something through the Force?”

“Why, do you?”

“I don’t know, you tell me. You’ve been at this for longer than I have. What does it feel like when you sense danger?”

“This isn’t danger...not in the usual sense, anyway.” Gavin’s eyes began scanning the area for something amiss. “Are you sensing anything?”

“Honestly I can’t tell if it’s me, or if I’m just feeling your unease,” admitted Dev with a frown. He turned back to the panel and began to close it. “You’ve been a little paranoid lately.”

Gavin pursed his lips, but listened to the urge to close his eyes and reach out through the Force. He wanted to know what was going on.

Eedit Temple was at peace. Master Bez was teaching Kodli the basics of Form 1...Cham was running Barrit, Den, Sirra, and Faran though a round of telekinesis practice...Chrysta and Alara were working on something in the medical bay...and Bron was off by himself, tackling the obstacle course again.

Suddenly all of them froze in what they were doing as the same sense of impending danger gripped them all. It did not come from the Temple, nor the grounds, nor the jungle surrounding them, but at some distance. Someone they knew was going to face a terrible foe...someone Master Skywalker cared for...

At once Gavin’s eyes flew open and he gasped. “No!” In a single motion he vaulted down from the access port and hit the ground running.

“What?” hollered Dev.

“Someone’s in danger...the outpost!” called Gavin, headed for the small storage bay where a pair of swoop bikes were stored. His sense of urgency grew with every stride and he leapt into one of the saddles.

Dev paled and dropped his tools. “Wait! Master Skywalker is supposed to be back this afternoon,” he reminded anxiously.

Gavin shook his head as he powered up the swoop. “He’d want someone to go. Jedi are supposed to help when someone's in danger!”

Dev anxiously wrung his hands. He hated breaking protocol. “At least ask Master Bez. We’re not supposed to take the swoops without permission.”

Gavin shook his head. “There’s no time! Everyone else senses the danger. If they ask, tell them I’m headed to Tikaroo.” Jamming an ancient, ill-fitting helmet onto his head- and making sure his lightsaber was secure on his belt- he released the air brake and gunned the engine.

I’ve failed them once already, he thought, gnawing his lip and ignoring the branches slapping his face. I can’t let it happen again.

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I hope that everything goes alright for Gavin. I hope he doesn't find too much trouble. I love that Luke gave Ben the chance to pilot.

10. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @Sara_Kenobi Thanks for reading. I wish I could say things would go well, but...:(

Last chapter, folks! I did not intend to end it here, but the story has gotten SO long and SO crazy I decided to had to split it up and regroup a little. Obviously everyone is caught up with Rebels right now so I'll give it about a week before I post again. In the meantime, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , @Sara_Kenobi , @Ewok Poet , and everyone else whose name escapes me at the moment, thank you so much for reading!

P.S: Cliffhanger alert! [face_devil]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter Forty-One

Ben felt a strange, vague sense of unease as his uncle brought the Legacy out of hyperspace and the green marble of Devaron lurched into view. One glance at Luke told him that his master felt the same.

“You sense it, don’t you,” said Luke quietly.

Ben nodded, solemn. “Something’s happened. What do you think it is?”

Luke took a deep breath, fighting the pit forming in his stomach. “I don’t know, but stay calm. Let the Force guide you.” With another long stare at Devaron- and a prayer his gut was wrong for once -the Jedi Master made up his mind and began flipping a rapid sequence of switches. “You better hold on. This is going to get interesting.”

Ben wrinkled his brows, but before he could ask his uncle to elaborate, a sharp jolt of acceleration made Artoo squeal in alarm. The planet rushed up to meet them.

Luke was gunning the sublights all the way in. Only the best of pilots could get away with such a stunt.

Ben aggressively chewed his lower lip as they shot back into the atmosphere and gravity plastered him back into his seat. The ground beneath filled the cockpit. The green smudge of the jungle quickly turned into trees, threatening to to spear the shuttle like meat on a fork. The boy nearly yelped as Luke pulled up at the last minute. His stomach lurched and for a moment he worried he might vomit...but not because of the wild ride.

Whatever was going on, it must have been serious. Luke had never flown so recklessly with any passengers. It didn’t show on his face beyond his furrowed brows.

Deceleration upon coming into Tikaroo was sudden. The Legacy shuddered at the strain as she was brought in for a landing.

Luke was already getting out of his restraints and powering down. By now the worry was obvious. “Ben, I’m not sure what we’re walking into, but whatever happens, stay close. Be aware of your surroundings and don’t use your lightsaber unless there’s no other choice. I don’t want to hurt any bystanders,” he warned, squeezing his nephew’s arm.

Ben nodded and felt the blood drain from his face as they headed for the loading ramp. The pit in his stomach had opened into a cold, empty chasm. Confusion reigned as they exited the ship on the street where Celleen and Areila lived...and then he understood why Luke was so anxious.

Worry rose on Luke’s face as they hurried up to the house. “I don’t sense them...Celleen? Celleen! Areila!” Briefly he closed his eyes, then paled. “No,” he whispered urgently. Then he ran flat-out into the house.

Ben knew even as he stayed on his uncle’s heels that, while Celleen and Areila were nowhere in the outpost, someone they both knew was inside...and he was badly hurt. A brief flash of anger blazed in Ben’s heart as he didn’t sense anyone else around. Where is everyone? Why did they let this happen? He winced upon sensing Gavin DeMarc, who lay in a heap in one corner of the room. Luke was already tending to him.

The tiny house was in an absolute shambles. Not a single thing had been left standing. Every piece of furniture was upturned, every decoration lying on the floor. The sharp smell of ozone and the scorch marks on the walls spoke of blasters and lightsabers being used.

Gavin moaned when Luke felt for broken bones. He was bruised and looked as if he’d been beaten. “M-Master...I’m sorry...I’m so sorry-”

“Easy, Gavin,” urged Luke, holding the young man still. “Don’t move. Just breathe and tell me what happened. Where are Celleen and Areila?”

“Gone,” coughed Gavin, blood crawling down one corner of his mouth. “They...they took them...I tried...tried to stop them, but-”

“Who? Who took them?” hissed Luke even as he felt his heart sinking.

“P-pirates...thieves...I don’t know. But they...they took them...both of them.” Gavin gasped in pain when he tried to sit up. “I tried, Master...I did...there were too many...too many...” A single tear of remorse and pain slid down his cheek and he hung his head.

Luke had to fight the impulse to yell, scream, give some kind of voice to the agony in his heart. No, no, NO! Not my family! Not now! He took in a deep shuddering breath, reaching desperately for the Force as a drowning man might reach for air. “Where, Gavin? Do you know where they were headed?”

Miserably Gavin shook his head. “I don’t know...I don’t know!” He could hardly bear to look Luke in the eye. “I’m sorry! I tried to help. I tried! But I couldn’t...I just couldn’t. I’m so sorry.”

Luke closed his eyes, again fighting the anger and guilt in his heart. Sensing the approach of Master Bez and Alara certainly helped. At least Gavin would be taken care of. He made himself take another deep breath. “Gavin, I know you’re in pain, but I need you to answer some questions. How many were there?”

Gavin winced with every breath. “Um...ten...maybe fifteen.”

Even Ben cringed at that number. Hardly any Jedi could take on that many alone, even with a lightsaber. No wonder Gavin looked terrible.

Luke nodded. “All right. What did they look like? Do you remember?”

The whine of a swoop announced the coming of Bez and Alara, who hurried inside and froze in shock at the scene. “Gavin!” cried Alara, hurrying to her friend. “Master Skywalker, what happened?”

“It’s Celleen and Areila. They’ve been kidnapped,” answered Luke, loathing every word. “Gavin, what did they look like?”

“Um...” Gavin licked his split lip. “Weequay...more than half were Weequay...a few Rodians...maybe a Trandoshan...and...at least two Devaronians.”

“No humans?” wondered Alara aloud.

“The bitter, the malcontent...those who still blame humanity for the Empire’s slavery,” answered Bez grimly. “Most likely pirates and slavers.”

“Since when do Trandoshans work with Devaronians?”

“That doesn’t matter,” sighed Luke, turning back to Gavin. “Anything more specific? Facial markings, scars, anything that stood out?”

Gavin nodded painfully. “Two...Weequay had...broken horns...one...Devaronian was...missing….one of his...and...tattoo-” Another cry of pain stole his voice.

Bez laid a hand on the young man’s shoulder. “Be still, DeMarc. Skywalker, at least three of his ribs are broken. He should not speak or rise, lest he puncture something vital. He should be taken back to the Temple before he is questioned further.”

Luke winced, but nodded. Gavin needed help. But his heart ached for his fiancee and little girl. I have to find them. “Just a minute. Gavin...I’m going to ask you one more time. Please try to remember...do you have any idea where they could be headed? A word they spoke, or...anything.” Luke realized he was begging, but desperation had begun to set in.

Gavin breathed painfully and searched his mind for something...anything. Suddenly his eyes flew open. “Wait...maybe...one of them...one of them said...Ven...something...Ven...Core?”

Bez lifted her brows. “Vanqor?”

Gavin stared at her. “Y-yeah...that was it.”

Luke took Gavin’s shoulder. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah...I’m sure….I’m sure,” nodded Gavin.

“Good man,” sighed Luke, patting Gavin’s shoulder. “Gavin, it wasn’t your fault. I know you did everything you could. Thank you.” At least now he had a starting point. He took a deep breath and rose to his feet. “Master Bez, I realize you’re going to protest my action as rash and emotional, but I’m going to go after Celleen and Areila.”

“I supposed as much,” sighed Bez with a shake of her head, “and it may surprise you to learn I have no protest. Celleen Garvisom and her daughter are not only your intended, but under the protection of the Jedi. Going in search of them is only prudent. As such I have only one warning; do not go alone. Many recall your tale of facing a similar predicament and nearly losing your life. The galaxy cannot afford to lose any Jedi, least of all a Master.”

Luke cringed. “I would rather go alone. It’s going to be dangerous and I don’t want to risk any students… but you’re right. There’s strength in numbers. If anyone is willing-”

Ben lifted his head. “I’ll go.”

Luke threw a look of concern to his nephew. “Ben, I want you to be sure about this. We aren’t going to know what we’ll be dealing with until we get there. I sense a lot of danger and uncertainty about this. The last thing I want is to put you at risk, too.”

The teenager swallowed, but lifted his chin. “I want to go. I haven’t been very nice to either of them and...and besides, you care about them more than anything. Please let me help, Uncle.”

Luke’s throat closed a little at Ben’s show of concern. He managed a nod and took his nephew’s shoulder. “All right. But we’re telling your parents what’s going on. I don’t want Leia to worry any more than necessary.”

Ben grimaced and nodded reluctantly. His mother could sense unrest in son or brother from across the galaxy. Of course she was going to worry. “When do we leave?”

“As soon as we can. Bez, can you and Alara manage to get Gavin back to the Temple?” Luke asked.

“Yes. Do you have all the provisions you need?” Bez wanted to know.

“Fuel is fine, and there’s plenty of emergency supplies still on board. I’ll contact you as soon as I find them.”

“Just be mindful,” sighed Bez. She reached out to take Luke’s arm. “Keep your mind clear. Do not let it be clouded by emotion. Trust the Force.”

“I will,” nodded Luke. He motioned to his nephew. “May the Force be with you all.”

“And with you, Master Skywalker,” said Alara with damp eyes. “Be careful, Ben.”

Ben just nodded before turning to follow his uncle outside. There was purpose to their steps, a clear direction. He knew that somehow, someday, no matter how long it took or how far they had to go, he and his uncle would track down the kidnappers and bring them to justice.

His fervent hope was that both Celleen and Areila would be all right.

To Be Continued

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh @Ridley Solo #40 started out so nummy and then Gavin's scene :eek: then #41 -- yikes, 15 attackers, and a mixed bag of species. Who's behind that I wonder? And why would they want Celleen anyway? She's not exactly a prominent Galactic Figure -- just with personal relevance to Luke. [face_thinking]

This entire thing has the wonderfully eclectic mood feels of humor, angst, action, and mush, loads of it. =D= And character and family growth. @};-

Ridley Solo likes this.
  12. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I cannot wait for the continuation. I hope we get to learn more about Celleen's past. It's very interesting that they would choose to kidnap her and her daughter. Please include me on updates for the continuation. This story was a very exciting read. :cool:^:)^=D=

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Your updates were way.too.fast.for.me. I guess I'll binge in a bit. ;)

14. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I started reading this story back when you first began posting and have finally finished. What an amazing story! You've crafted an intricate tale here. I love the relationship between Luke and Celleen and how much Luke loves Arelia.

Ben is the most intriguing character here. I don't often find that I enjoy the characterization of Ben Solo in most stories. I find his insecurity endearing. As such a sensitive child and cautious teenager, it makes him a much more sympathetic character, for me at least. Definitely the best version of Ben Solo that I've read.

I love Leia and Han! They are so far from perfect, but they love their children (Breha is absolutely adorable!) and each other very much.

Well done on this entire story! It has everything that makes for an excellent read-great pacing, spot-on characterization, action, adventure, drama and well-placed doses of angst. =D=

Off to begin part 2!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.