main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Fox Sports Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, May 25, 2017.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    With the massive layoffs at ESPN and the numerous defections of some former ESPN employees like Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless, does this mean that Fox Sports is starting to become what ESPN used to be like or are they blazing their own unique trail?

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    If were talking about FS1, I'd say they're trying to follow what ESPN does with their talking head shows. They have quite a few ex-ESPN employees (Bayless, Cowherd and Whitlock) and they are still doing that host who does the blowing hot air take on sports. Look at last week with the LaVar Ball stuff, thankfully Kristine Leahy stood up after it or the network should be ashamed that Colin Cowherd didn't do anything. FS1 also failed pretty bad when they tried to do a nightly Sportscenter type show. Garbage Time might be the most unique thing they have and is actually a pretty decent show.

In terms of actual broadcasting sports, I try my best to not have to watch any Fox Sports coverage. They do have a few good and enjoyable broadcasters or analysts (Howie Long, Joel Klatt, Gus Johnson, Paul Azinger, John Smoltz) but to me they have more ones who aren't (Joe Buck, anyone besides Long on the NFL pregame, Pete Rose, Joe Buck, Erin Andrews, Joe Buck) . Thankfully the city I live in has an AFC team so I might have to catch a Joe Buck broadcast twice a year or so. Root Sports bought out the regional FSN network here too but that hardly changed any actual broadcasting teams for baseball and hockey. Sadly, I have no choice but to watch Fox Sports for their USGA coverage now. That first year in Chambers Bay might have been one of the most painful viewing experiences ever in sports. They made strides getting rid of Norman and hiring Azinger but Joe Buck announcing golf just doesn't work at all.