main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Saga - Legends Fragments of Jade | Kessel Run Challenge 2022

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Week Six Challenge: Write an AU (alternate universe) story of at least 500 words where the moral alignment of one of your characters is the opposite of (or drastically different from) what it is in canon and/or Legends (or the source material, for OCs or NSW fandoms). For example: Qui-Gon as a Sith Lord, Tarkin as a Rebel, etc.

-----------------

6. The Emperor's Hand (approximately 4 ABY)

The Emperor’s Hand stood respectfully just inside the door to the throne room, soothed by its dark opulence, and waited.

At the end of the room was the throne itself, and in it sat the very embodiment of majesty and justice, the person who had rescued the galaxy from chaos and who even now maintained order despite threats from both without and within.

The Emperor’s Hand was deeply familiar with the latter. It was astonishing how so many who knew very well the consequences of treason still attempted it.

“And send a message to Viceroy Organa,” the Emperor was saying, “regarding his most recent meeting with Senator Mothma, about which he thinks me to be ignorant. Ensure that it is diplomatically yet unmistakably worded. It would be a great unpleasantness were the Death Star required to make orbit around a Core World.”

“At once, Your Excellency.” Mas Amedda bowed deeply, and at a gesture from the Emperor, he turned and departed, glancing only briefly at the Emperor’s Hand as he did.

The Emperor’s eyes turned toward the dark figure by the door. “Come, my child.” His expression warmed as the Emperor’s Hand dutifully approached. “Your mission was successful?”

The Hand went down on one knee before the throne, the pose as natural as breathing. “It was, my lord.”

A smile graced the Emperor’s face. “Your abilities, it would seem, match even your loyalty. Go, then, my child. The briefs for your next mission will be ready soon.”

Nico Jade inclined his head, his response as automatic as it was reverent. “Yes, my lord.”

-------------

The sun was just beginning to sink into the thin veil of clouds along the western horizon, the endless spires and towers of Imperial City glinting and sparking in the angled light as the lines of traffic wove seemingly endless lines of color and noise between the buildings. Nico leaned against the chest-high wrought-stone railing at the edge of the Palace roof and watched it all, at peace with himself and the galaxy at large.

A peace that lasted until the door out on to the roof opened twenty meters behind him. The familiar voice was soft, but unmistakable. “I thought I’d find you up here.”

“Since when do you need to guess?” Nico turned to watch as his fellow Hand approached.

“I’d heard you were back,” his sister said, ignoring the question. Mara always had been single-minded. “How did it go?”

Nico shrugged. “The Emperor’s justice was dispensed.”

“Yes,” Mara murmured.

“When’s your next mission?” It was more idle curiosity than anything. Although the Emperor had allowed them to maintain association as they grew up, it had been limited, and they had never worked together. Entirely reasonable, Nico felt. After all, nothing was more important than the Emperor, and their rare privilege of helping him maintain the Empire.

Mara shrugged. Stepping closer to stand beside him, she also gazed out over the city. “So many people and lights,” she said. “And how many of them matter in our work?”

Nico frowned. “All of them. You know that.”

“Or none of them, and it’s all been a lie from the start.”

The frown deepened. “I thought you’d gotten past this nonsense a long time ago.”

“You never told him about what I said, did you?” Mara turned toward him at last, her eyes a deep emerald green in the deepening twilight. “Of course you didn’t; I’m still alive. Why didn’t you tell him, Nico?”

Nico shifted uncomfortably. “You’re good at what you do—when you’re not on this ridiculous idea, anyway. I didn’t want the Empire deprived of your service.”

“Is that it? Is it really?” She tilted her head.

“Of course,” Nico snapped.

Mara turned back to look over the city again, then back at him. “I’m leaving. Come with me.”

The breath froze in his lungs. Mara didn’t seem to notice. “I have a ship,” she continued. “It’s ISB; it has all the capabilities and IDs we’d need to stay unnoticed for a long time. Plus credits and weapons. We could even find a contact and join the Rebellion; they’re good at hiding. Even Vader hasn’t flushed many out.”

That broke the spell, and Nico’s response burst out of him like rushing water through a crumbled dam. “What are you talking about? Have you gone insane?”

His voice was louder than he’d meant it to be, but Mara never moved a millimeter, her gaze holding his. “What is there for us here?”

“What is there—” Outrage tied his tongue for a moment. But only for a moment. “We maintain order! We uphold justice! We have the respect of Moffs, Grand Admirals, the Emperor himself—”

“We do nothing of the sort,” Mara said quietly. “Nor do we have anyone’s respect. He uses us, and he’ll discard us whenever we outlive that use.”

“You’re mad,” Nico all but spat. She reached a hand out toward him, and he pulled away. “I’m not going anywhere. And neither are you.”

“I am,” Mara replied, still quietly. “Nico, please. It’s because of me that you’re in this hell in the first place—”

“‘Hell’?” Nico echoed disbelievingly. A noble purpose of which most could only dream, the favor of the Emperor, the luxury of the Palace—

“He took me because I’m Force-sensitive. He took you because you wouldn’t let go of me. I remember it, even if you don’t.”

A wisp of memory drifted through his consciousness like the last gasp of smoke from an extinguished candle: clinging to his adored big sister as a figure in red dragged her away. Desperate voices, familiar yet unknown, begging, pleading. Mara’s wide eyes looking behind them, over his head. He shook his head, banishing the vision.

“It doesn’t matter where we came from. It matters what we do now.”

His sister had always been good at emotional control, but now her expression was tight and pain was growing behind her eyes. “Nico—”

No,” Nico snapped.

Mara took a step backward at last. “All right. But I’ll find you someday, Nico. I will.”

Nico reached for his blaster, and found that he couldn’t unholster it, or even lift his hand. He glared ferociously at Mara. “Knock it off.”

She actually smiled at that, unshed tears beginning to shine in her eyes. “If you weren’t trying to shoot me, maybe I would.”

“I only shoot traitors,” he growled. “If you insist on putting yourself in that category—”

“It’s not treason to escape a prison,” Mara said, taking another step backward. Nico took a step toward her, then heard the slight creak of the door she’d come through.

“That’s far enough,” came a new voice.

Nico turned his head. A young blonde man, about Mara’s age and wearing a TIE pilot’s uniform, was standing there, holding a blaster trained firmly on Nico.

Mara lifted a hand, speaking to the newcomer while still watching Nico. “Not yet.” She began walking backward toward the door, her eyes still fixed on him.

“Wait!” Mara paused, hope flaring in her eyes, and Nico knew a moment’s grim satisfaction at the thought of crushing it with his next words. “Why did you tell me any of this? Why broadcast treason when you could have just left?”

Mara was very still for a long moment, her expression turning to stone as she brought herself under the ruthless control that was so familiar. “Because you’re my brother, and that still matters. Certainly more than any loyalty to the man who stole us in the first place. And,” she added much more quietly, “because Mommy told me to take care of you.”

“We could stun him and take him with us,” the young man at the door offered.

“No,” Mara said softly. “He has all the same training and resources that I do. If we take him unwillingly, he’ll find a way to sabotage us.”

“And if you leave,” Nico said, quietly, dangerously, “he’ll never stop looking for you. You know what he does to traitors.”

Mara shook her head, her pale red hair gleaming and gilded in the sun’s final rays. “He has to find me first. And he trained me well. I’ll find you, Nico. I will.” She looked over at the other man. “Go ahead, Luke.”

The blue rings of a stun blast hit him before Nico could say anything more.

-----------

It was darkest night before he awoke, but the Emperor was still holding court in the main ballroom, and Nico had no difficulty in gaining an audience. His subsequent rage all but emptied the room of the social climbers that had filled it a moment before. Nico remained kneeling before the throne, his head bowed, as the Emperor stood, energy crackling ominously around him.

“And yet you are here,” the Emperor said.

“I am loyal to you, my lord,” Nico answered. “Not to her.”

“Yes,” the Emperor replied, his voice dropping to a low growl. “It seems it was as well that I found you both, despite your lack of strength in the Force.” Nico felt the weight of that yellow glare upon him, and stayed motionless. The Emperor slowly reseated himself. “Loyalty is the quality I most value, and the one I will always show in return to those who are loyal to me. As you are, Nico. Now go, and display your loyalty to the fullest by hunting down your traitorous sister and her helper, and bringing them back to me to face justice.”

Nico lifted his head at last, and met the Emperor’s eyes evenly. “It will be done, my lord.”

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Miiiiiiine

Mira_Jade likes this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    This was really good, nice dynamic between Nico and Mara.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Very AU with Nico serving the emperor still alive. But with Mara and Luke as rebels

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantastic! I did not know that was Nico in the opening scene, very well written! I applaud the interaction between he and Mara. She is not deluded in the slightest and he is. :( [face_thinking] I love that she and Luke are Rebels together. This AU begs to be told in full! [face_love]

Rivad_Bacar2 likes this.
  6. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    Ooof. That hurts. It's wonderfully written, but it hurts. Gabri!

Although it's not your fault. Silly prompt making you make Nico evil.

7. Rivad_Bacar2

Rivad_Bacar2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    A wonderful AU. Given how both Mara and Luke are part of the Empire in this scenario, it begs the question: who was the first to contemplate treason? Our favorite earnest farmboy... or perhaps Mara was the catalyst who persuaded Luke into betraying the Empire. Hmm... [face_thinking]

Also, was I the only one who, when Luke showed up as a "bad guy" in TIE pilot gear, pictured him with the classic Evil Spock goatee from the Mirror Universe? Mixing my fandoms, I know, but I think Luke could totally rock an evil goatee...[face_devil] as long as Mara didn't object of course. He's not totally crazy!

Bravo on a great original twist! I also vote for more from this universe! [face_batting]

ViariSkywalker and Gabri_Jade like this.
  8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Fixed it for you. ;) [face_mischief]

I regret nothing.

Gabri_Jade likes this.
  9. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    @ViariSkywalker
    :*

She truly does not :p

@Nehru_Amidala
    Thank you!

@earlybird-obi-wan
    Thank you!

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Thank you! I'm sure Vi will also push for more from this AU :p

@Bel505
    It does hurt :( Not just Mara and Nico, either. Can you imagine Ronan and Nadira losing two children like that? =(( But yeah, this is for Vi. Apparently at some point when we were discussing how alike Mara and Nico were, I said something about how Nico probably would have made a pretty good Emperor's Hand even if he wasn't Force-sensitive, and it really stuck with Vi, because let me tell you, she really really really wanted to see Emperor's Hand Nico with this prompt :p Which honestly was a pretty good option. Who else would I have turned dark in this family? (Although Corissa would be very theatrical about it...) I suppose I could have written something about Mara growing up with her family instead of turning Nico Imperial, but Vi would have sulked :p

@Rivad_Bacar2
    I can see that going either way in this particular case. In most similar scenarios, I'd say Luke, but however good a show she puts up for Palpatine here (for the sake of both her survival and Nico's, until he was old enough to have proven himself worthy so that he wouldn't suffer if she left and couldn't take him with her), she remembers her family and isn't the true believer that she was in the EU. I could see her initiating a defection this time around [face_thinking]

lol, yes, Mara's approval is important here. Whatever one's opinions on the ST, scruffy hermit Luke did rock the scruffy beard - but if Mara had been there, she would at least have made sure he trimmed it :p

Vi texted me after you posted this to gloat point out that other people also wanted me to continue this AU, so I'm sure she'll make sure I don't forget the possibility :p

10. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Week Seven Challenge: Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that is entirely introspection. No spoken dialogue, no action.

------------------------

7. Fatherhood (Ronan and Mara Jade, 17 BBY)

It was strange, Ronan thought as he sat in the rocking chair beside the bedroom window, holding their daughter as Nadira slept, how being a father changed everything.

He’d known it would, of course. But that intellectual knowledge was nothing more than the vaguest shadow of premonition compared to the rush of emotion when Mara was born, when he held her for the first time, when he suddenly understood the description he’d once heard of parenthood, that it was to forever have your heart go walking around outside your body.

Right now, being a parent was relatively—well, not easy, exactly, but straightforward. Mara was still tiny and helpless and the most important thing was simply to keep her warm and dry and fed and loved. Ronan knew that it wouldn’t stay that simple for long.

How he wished his own parents were still alive to seek guidance from. Nadira’s parents were, true, and he was profoundly grateful, but he wished that he could have asked his own father how he’d felt at this point in life, and how he’d managed to always be so calm and steady. He wished he could ask his mother how exactly it was that she’d created the warm and loving environment Ronan remembered growing up in. He and Nadira were very young themselves to take on the raising of a child, and as incredibly happy as he was, there was an edge of fear as well. He didn’t really know what he was doing, and Mara deserved the best.

Mara. A name that had no familial significance, nor was chosen for any greater meaning—a pretty, soft-sounding name that rolled easily off the tongue. They had both liked it, and it created a nice rhythm with the surname Jade. Nadira’s father, detail-oriented as always, had looked the name up and pointed out that it meant “bitter.” Nadira had only shrugged. “Bitter isn’t always bad. Good caf and dark chocolate are both bitter. Bitter is strong and distinctive. And,” she’d added privately to Ronan later, “it’s a pretty name, and I like it.”

So Mara she had become, for no deeper reason than that it felt right, and now it was hard to remember why any of the other names they’d discussed had ever been in contention. Of course she was Mara, had always been Mara, could never be anyone else.

And Mara deserved the very best. Not just now, when giving her his best was as easy as this, as easy as changing a diaper and holding her close and rocking her back to sleep in the middle of the night. She deserved the best always, in all things, and how was he going to do that? How would he know how to make her feel safe and secure, and that she could always come to him with any concern? How would he teach her to be strong and kind and to always try to do the right thing? How could he help her to neither be discouraged by setbacks nor overconfident in success? How was he supposed to know how to fix things ranging from scraped knees to broken hearts?

The prospect was terrifying and exhilarating and he hoped so, so much that he was up to the challenge, and knew that nothing mattered as much as this, as doing everything he could to make sure his little family was happy and secure and that Mara had room to grow into whoever she was meant to be, to achieve all the potential he was sure she had.

Even now, as tiny as she was, he could see her personality beginning to develop. Much to his delight, she had begun to smile when spoken to, a big toothless smile that melted his heart. She was so aware, turning toward every sound and making obvious efforts to focus on the faces above her, and he’d swear that yesterday she’d tried to lift herself into a crawling position.

Nadira’s mother had been gently amused; at not quite two months, Mara was still a long way from that milestone. Ronan knew that, and he knew that she couldn’t have crawled, of course—she hadn’t quite managed to lift her own head yet, after all. But her flailing of limbs had already begun to have an air of purpose to it, and he was sure it wasn’t merely his own partiality behind the determination he was beginning to associate with Mara. She was bright and strong-willed, and if she decided that she wanted to crawl early, he had no doubt that she’d manage to do exactly that.

But for now she nestled sleepily in his arms, gazing at him through half-closed eyes as they rocked, his sweet, perfect baby girl, and all those challenges were in the future. Right now all that mattered was loving her.

And that, Ronan could do.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Baby Mara sweet and adorable

Rivad_Bacar2 likes this.
  12. Rivad_Bacar2

Nov 1, 2004
    Mom mic drop for the win. :cool:

There is always some beauty and truth if you look hard enough. And Mara IS a pretty name.

ViariSkywalker and Gabri_Jade like this.
  13. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Aw yeah [face_mischief] [face_mischief] [face_mischief]

Love this detail about Palpatine's expression warming. He may not have to play at being the benevolent chancellor anymore, but I imagine he would still get great enjoyment out of flexing those particular muscles once in a while, and his dealings with Mara and - in this universe - Nico would be the perfect opportunity to do so. Why break them completely when you can bend them to your will and make them grateful for it?

Obviously I knew who it was going to be because I pestered you to write it, but I still had a big grin here. :D [face_dancing]

Fantastic details! This was such a perfect setting for this scene to play out in.

I love these details, and they really helped to sell this AU. Nicely done, babe!

[​IMG]

(I mean, kind of... I've never read the fic, but you've mentioned it enough times :p)

Nico's self-deceptive reasoning hurt here, as did this whole conversation. =(( Seriously, A+ job with this argument, all the way through.

Welp, this part hurt the most - that absolute control shattering as he realizes what Mara's telling him, and her calm and quiet in the face of his anger - it's all so goooood, Gabri. I LOVE IT. :_| =(( [face_love]

Oh wait, did I say that last part hurt the most? Sorry, I meant this part hurt the most. Just picturing little baby!Nico refusing to let go of Mara... somehow this wasn't how I pictured it happening when we first talked about the idea, but this is devastating. =(( =((

lolol, I can't help it, this made me laugh. This felt like such a sibling moment, even amid all the heartbreak and anger. And also an excellent detail with him being unable to unholster his blaster, because up until this point I wasn't quite sure if Nico was Force-sensitive in this AU or not. [face_thinking]

Luke!!! [face_love] (And TIE pilot Luke at that! Hello there, Rebellion AU crossover. [face_mischief])

Another excellent detail. :( Nico does know how to hit right where it hurts. [face_plain]

:_| :_| :_|

And a perfect answer to another question I had as you were brainstorming this. Of course they can't just drag him with them against his will, he would definitely find a way out and wreck everything. [face_worried]

Chills. =D=

And obviously I need more as soon as your muse will allow. [face_batting] You know... after the dozen other projects you want to write...[face_whistling]

Yeeup. See above. [face_batting]

I mean, this sort of story is directly up my alley, Gabri; how could I not pester you? You gotta remember, when I was a wee 16yo fanfic writer I gave Mara an assassin half-brother (who I am still a teeny tiny bit partial to even if it bordered on cliché, shhhh... probably more because he was a proto-Festus than anything else, though, let's be real [face_mischief]), so Nico as Emperor's Hand was pretty much a no-brainer for me. You might as well hook it directly to my veins. Apparently I am all about the twisted sibling vibes. (And apparently I have more of a pattern than I realized, hmm [face_thinking])

And I don't know if I would have sulked, exactly... [face_whistling]

(Okay, probably. :p)

Yes, she will [face_mischief]

Hello, me :p

(Also, Ronan!!! [face_love])

There is nothing about this paragraph that I don't love. [face_love]

This is pretty much exactly what happened with my two youngest kids. :p

Well, considering everything that ends up happening a few years later... =(( :_|

(Also, this was a beautiful piece of introspection right here. [face_love])

Awwww [face_love]

Yep, this is definitely in-character for a young parent, especially with the first kid. :p

Such a sweet ending, and I just want to leave it there and canon is what I say it is and Mara grows up with her family and everything is wonderful...

:_|

Gabri_Jade likes this.
  14. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    @earlybird-obi-wan
    Thank you!

@Rivad_Bacar2
    Yeah, Nadira won that round :p Even a happy, emotionally balanced Mara Jade is strong and distinctive, like caf or dark chocolate, and Mara is a beautiful name [face_love]

@ViariSkywalker
    You pushy little inspirational genius, you :p

Exactly. You know, Sith tend to be pretty blatant with their names, and Palpatine either chose or was bestowed with (Wookieepedia probably says which, but let's be honest, I don't care) the name Sidious. He's not the blunt force type, he's the gradually and seductively treacherous type. That's what he's brilliant at and what he enjoys. An Emperor's Hand or two is a fantastic opportunity to keep in practice.

Don't say I never gave you anything [face_batting] :*

All credit to Zahn, whose final scene of TLC I shamelessly stole paralleled. :cool:

Aw, shucks [face_blush]

*so proud*

*but not as proud as I'd be if you'd read the fic*

You know how I love to write arguments :p But seriously, this was a fascinating dynamic to write: an Emperor's Hand who believes, and one who doesn't.

*curtsies*

Right? I only had the general idea of this fic when I started writing it; nearly all the little details came together in the process. And why would Palpatine take a non-Force-sensitive child? Because that child wouldn't let go of his beloved big sister, and that determination piqued Palpatine's interest, and he figured, why not? It's not like he'd have had any problems killing either of them later if they turned out to be a disappointment.

Plus, y'know, the angst factor :p

It is super siblingish, isn't it? I suppose that's what happens in a family where one sibling is Force-sensitive and the other isn't. It's the Force-sensitive version of sitting on your brother to keep him from running to tattle to Mom :p And up until this point, I hadn't quite decided if Nico was Force-sensitive in this AU or not :p

I couldn't resist :p Luke and Mara find each other in every AU [face_love]

Just like his sister. Which goes back to how this all started: they're so alike; why wouldn't Nico also be an excellent top agent with the same training?

=(( =(( =((

A problem and a solution that both presented themselves in the process of writing - of course Luke will offer to bring him against his will, knowing how much this means to Mara, and of course Mara would realize the danger and take the right path even if it was the harder one =((

*looks at WIP list; pulls hair out*

And considering your success record in this area, it'll probably happen eventually :oops: *adds plot bunny to WIP list; sighs*

You really do have a thing for warped sibling relationships, ya weirdo :p And if you didn't sulk, you would have continued pestering. One or the other :p Anyway, it was in fact the best option for this prompt within the Renewal!verse theme, so it all worked out :*

*siiiiiiiiigggghhh*

You're so handy for telling me if I got the parenting stuff right [face_love] And Ronan is just the best, and he loves his family so much, and he's just enchanted with baby!Mara [face_love]

Aw yiss :D "Bitter" has far more nuance to it than merely "cynical or unhappy," and there are just as many parents who choose a name simply because they like the sound as there are who pass on family names or look for deeper meaning. And considering that basically every kid in the whole dang EU seems to be named after someone, even if the name had to be retconned to make that principle work, I wasn't about to go that route. Ronan and Nadira liked the name Mara because it was pretty and sounded good with their last name and they could imagine themselves saying that name every day for the rest of their lives, and they didn't really care what other meaning it might have, because to them it just meant "our baby" [face_love]

Realism! :D

Right??? =(( :_| We know from Renewal that Nadira blamed Ronan for losing Mara, and that their relationship suffered badly for several years afterward - but that was very much a case of Nadira being blinded by her own grief. Ronan loved Mara every bit as much, and did the only thing he thought he could to potentially save both Nadira and Mara in an impossible situation even though it broke his own heart. Mara definitely takes after her dad in a lot of ways [face_love]

In VotF, Luke attributes Mara's innate morality to an early influence, perhaps her parents, and you know that reflection helped me to envision the sort of people Mara's parents must be. Ronan wanted very, very much to teach Mara to be a good person. Maybe she subconsciously remembered some of his early lessons; maybe she absorbed some of the sense of her father's convictions through the Force. Either way, he definitely influenced her, even if he didn't get much time with her during her childhood.

Toothless baby smiles, man. I'm not a particular baby person, but no one can resist those [face_love]

Mara is the most amazing baby there ever was, that's just plain fact, not her father's bias :p Although he wasn't wrong that Mara was an especially determined child - but yeah, she probably didn't crawl at three months despite that :p

That's like eighth in the WIP list, be patient :p

Mira_Jade and ViariSkywalker like this.
  15. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Week Eight Challenge: Write a story of at least 400 words from the POV of a character you hate/dislike and make them sympathetic.

----------

8. The Ballet (Borsk Fey'lya, Corissa Jade, Mara Jade Skywalker, Leia Organa Solo; approximately 12 ABY)

It was as New Republic councilor Borsk Fey’lya took the final step down the crimson-carpeted grand staircase to the gold-swirled ivory marble floor of the Coruscant Ballet Theater’s lobby that he heard the voice.

“This new director leans too much on the Ba'lan style.” It was a female voice, young, but surprisingly confident. “It’s smooth, sure, but the composition isn’t nearly as harmonious as it should be.”

Shocked, Borsk spun toward the speaker before he realized it. “But no, I assure you! The Ba'lan style is essential for all proper ballet performances!”

The speaker and her companions, all Human females, turned to him, and Borsk felt his fur ripple involuntarily. He hadn’t known that Councilor Organa Solo would be attending this performance, let alone her sister-in-law.

Mara Jade Skywalker raised an eyebrow at him, so very slightly that if it hadn’t been for his many years dealing with Humans, he wouldn’t have noticed it. “Councilor Fey’lya. I didn’t know you were a ballet aficionado.”

The young woman beside her—the speaker, since Borsk certainly would have recognized either Organa Solo or Jade Skywalker’s voice and not gotten himself into this particular social quagmire—looked as shocked as he himself had felt upon her earlier declaration. “Mara! The Bothans have a long tradition of classical dance!”

Jade Skywalker turned her customary cool look on the other woman, who appeared not at all cowed by it. “Yes, I know. That doesn’t mean every individual Bothan is knowledgeable about dance, any more than every individual Human is, or any other race.”

The younger woman sighed heavily. “Yes, but come on, play the odds. He’d have to know something.”

Organa Solo wore an expression of open amusement. “By that logic, I’d have to know something about it too, and I don’t.”

“Well, you will if you finish listening to me,” the young woman informed her, without a hint of the respect most would show a high government official such as Organa Solo. Borsk’s interest was well and truly piqued now. “And,” the young woman continued, looking back at Borsk appraisingly, “apparently Councilor Fey’lya as well. It was Fey’lya, right?”

“Councilor,” Jade Skywalker said, still cool. “You remember my sister, Corissa.”

“Of course,” Borsk said. It was even true, though he hadn’t remembered her until Jade Skywalker’s introduction. But now he did indeed remember meeting Jade Skywalker’s family at some point. Her sister had, at the time, seemed—not indifferent, exactly. Vaguely distracted, perhaps. Certainly not very interested in the fact that she was being introduced to a New Republic councilor, which, Borsk readily admitted to himself, was rather irritating. He’d worked long and hard to attain such a position and the respect that went along with it. Now, though, Jade Skywalker’s young sister was watching him with all the intensity of a prowling nexu.

It was fascinating and slightly unsettling, and Borsk had to concentrate on not letting his fur ripple again. “A pleasure to meet you again, Mistress Jade.”

“Yes, never mind that,” Mistress Jade said. The three of them were clustered around one of the standing tables that dotted the edges of the lobby, where patrons could enjoy a drink and conversation at intermission, or after the performance. Now she set her champagne flute down on the table, all her attention on the discussion at hand. “The Ba'lan style has its merits, to be sure, but artistically, it can be pretty sterile.”

“Nonsense,” Borsk replied, again shocked into engaging in a more casual level of conversation than he normally would with anyone but his very closest allies. “It is well known that the Ba'lan method of training gives the dancers a greater lightness in the performance itself, not to mention the speed of the dance!”

“It’s true that Ba'lan offers a syncopated musicality, and I can appreciate the effect of the performance’s asymmetry,” Mistress Jade said, leaning forward, her eyes alight. “I’m all for an unconventional approach when it’s done right. But the Vanova method gives a dancer an intuitive anticipation for how to use every part of the body to achieve breathtakingly elegant results onstage.”

“And yet,” Borsk countered, “it can be mundane, even hidebound, compared to the modernity of the Ba'lan-influenced troupe.”

“Hidebound is a simply ridiculous characterization,” Mistress Jade responded dismissively. “It’s traditional, yes, but from the earliest training on, a dancer taught the Vanova method learns to be precise without sacrificing artistic integrity. You start with a strong classical dance foundation, and, with extreme attention to detail and precision, the individual performer learns to execute positions with ease, thus actually giving themselves more room for individual creativity within the requirements of the role and the narrative.”

“I cannot argue with the inherent nobility and even tranquil feel of a Vanova performance,” Borsk allowed. “But truly, Mistress Jade, you cannot wish for all troupes to adhere to tradition at the expense of innovation!”

“Of course not,” Mistress Jade replied, actually taking a step forward, so caught up in the discussion was she. “There’s room to meld the styles, and even take both of them further. But if an artistic director is going to go entirely with one style or the other, then I admit I prefer Vanova.” She turned back to her sister, who now wore the tiniest of ruefully amused smiles. “Don’t you think so, Mara?”

“You’re just fishing for automatic support now,” Jade Skywalker answered, taking a sip of her own champagne. “You already know perfectly well that I prefer Vanova.”

“What do you think, Leia?” Mistress Jade spun on Organa Solo with all the speed of the night’s prima ballerina.

Organa Solo glanced past her to Jade Skywalker, who said, “Vanova emphasizes soft and artistic precision. More formal and traditional. Ba'lan is faster and more technical, with pared-down aesthetics.”

“Ah,” Organa Solo said. Her politician’s facade was firmly in place, and yet Borsk saw the tiniest crack in it, and felt a moment of self-satisfaction. For all her expertise in the political realm, clearly she was out of her depth in the artistic one. “Vanova, I suppose.”

“There!” Mistress Jade spun back toward him in triumph. “Three to one, Councilor. Vanova wins the night.”

“So it seems,” Borsk said, amused despite himself. “Though I, for one, enjoyed tonight’s performance greatly for all that.”

“Oh, so did I,” Mistress Jade said, lifting her glass to take a sip of champagne. “This was an excellent example of the Ba'lan style used effectively. But I liked last year’s director better. If I ever choreograph,” this to Jade Skywalker, whose usual implacable expression warmed perceptibly when turned upon her sister, “I’ll definitely draw more on Vanova. But maybe with some of the Bournon method thrown in.”

“I approve of this approach,” Jade Skywalker said, with another tiny smile. “Don’t you, Leia?”

Organa Solo gave her an exasperated look, which turned smoothly into a gracious smile as Mistress Jade looked to see her response. “Corissa’s taste is impeccable. Clearly Vanova mixed with Bournon would be the superior choice.”

Mistress Jade laughed, a clear, bell-like sound. “You only say that to be supportive, but it’s still true. You’ll see.”

“You are studying choreography?” Borsk asked politely, yet with more than a modicum of genuine interest. “I would indeed appreciate seeing such insights as yours played out upon the stage, Mistress Jade.”

She tilted her head at him, the red hair so like her sister’s gleaming in the soft light that dominated the lobby. “I’m a dancer, myself. But I might get into choreography later.”

“Or teach,” Jade Skywalker murmured, taking another sip of champagne. “Or found your own troupe.”

“Or all of the above,” Mistress Jade retorted. “Unless you think I can’t do it?”

Jade Skywalker gave her sister a broader smile than Borsk thought he’d ever seen her give anyone. “I think that you can do anything you set your mind to.”

“As do I,” Borsk said, sweeping her a formal bow. “It was an unexpected pleasure to be able to discuss the subject of dance with one as knowledgeable as yourself, Mistress Jade. Do please keep me informed of your sister’s career, Mistress Skywalker. I greatly look forward to enjoying her performances in the future.” He turned to Organa Solo, who swiftly lowered her raised brows and put on a politely composed expression. “I congratulate you, Councilor, on your good fortune in having not one, but two rather remarkable sisters-in-law.”

The brilliant smile Mistress Jade gave him was nearly as satisfying as the bewildered look Organa Solo and Jade Skywalker exchanged behind her back. “I hope we see you here again, Councilor. Are you attending the performance of One Summer Afternoon in three months’ time? Perhaps we could discuss it afterward.”

“Corissa,” Jade Skywalker said, a bit too swiftly, “We really should go. Luke said he’d have dinner ready for us half an hour after the performance, and it’s almost that late already.”

“Oh, yeah,” Mistress Jade agreed. “I almost forgot.”

“Good evening, Councilor Fey’lya,” Organa Solo said, with exquisite courtesy.

“Good evening, Councilor Organa Solo,” Borsk replied, bowing again. “Mistress Skywalker; Mistress Jade.”

The three of them nodded, Mistress Jade favoring him with another bright smile as she did so, and walked off.

Borsk smiled to himself as he headed out of the lobby in the opposite direction, toward the parking facility that currently held his own speeder. Organa Solo was far from his favorite person; nor was Jade Skywalker high on the list of people he personally esteemed (remarkable, after all, had more than one shade of meaning), but Jade Skywalker’s sister, now—

Well, it wasn’t every Human who appreciated the Bothans’ cultural contributions to the galaxy, nor every ballet attendee who truly knew what they were watching. It had indeed been a rare diversion to have a proper discussion on the subject.

Even if Ba’lan was still clearly the superior style.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Who knew Fey’lya was a ballet expert?

17. Rivad_Bacar2

Nov 1, 2004
    [face_rofl]
    Even annoying old Fey'lya has to have a hobby/passion he enjoys! This was just plain fun, and brought a smile and a chuckle after an annoying day at work. Thanks for an unexpected pick-me-up! [face_laugh]

Gabri_Jade likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Fun to see that old Bothan with a hobby at ballet

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_rofl] Fey'lya is a ballet aficionado!

His horror when he realized who he was talking to cracked me up. :p

Headcanon accepted! [face_laugh] (And Corissa being appalled at Mara was hilarious. I could just picture her expression.)

I could have quoted this entire exchange. :D I have no idea what they're talking about, but it was hysterical. [face_laugh]

Lololol, Leia is me in this situation. :p

I LOVE this snarky little exchange between Mara and Leia because it shows how close they've become (like actual sisters), and I also love that as soon as Corissa turned to look at Leia, she flipped the switch from exasperated to all smiles.

Everybody loves Corissa. [face_love]

[face_whistling]

lolol and there's the jerk we all know and don't really love. o_O (But he still likes Corissa, lolol)

[face_rofl]

Mira_Jade and Gabri_Jade like this.
  20. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    @Nehru_Amidala
    Not Mara or Leia :p

@Rivad_Bacar2
    Thank you! :D The tricky thing about this prompt was keeping it in the Jade family theme, since I love all the Jades, but hey, Fey'lya runs in the same social circles as Leia and Mara, and Mara would surely be indulging her little sister with trips to the ballet whenever possible, soooo.... [face_batting]

@earlybird-obi-wan
    Thank you!

@ViariSkywalker
    Everyone needs a hobby! And yeah, things have got to be forever socially awkward between him and Leia and/or Mara, so that wasn't a pleasant surprise :p

Canon is what I say it is [face_batting] I love the juxtaposition of Corissa's appalled shock and Mara's calm "of course I knew that" expression :p Honestly, Corissa is such an amazing foil for Mara, I don't think I could ever get tired of writing them together [face_love]

Babe, I have no idea what they're talking about. Someone explain to me why I thought it was a good idea to create an OC who absolutely lives for a subject I know nothing about :oops:

Me too. May we all have a Mara in these scenarios to throw us a lifeline :p

They love each other so much [face_love] And of course Leia would never do anything to burst any of Corissa's bubbles; Corissa has become the adored baby sister for both sides of the family :p

They do! Because she is sweet and enthusiastic (and unnervingly intense) and adorable [face_love]

Yes, yes, I know :p

Fey'lya's gonna Fey'lya :p (But everyone likes Corissa [face_batting])

Look, the prompt said make him sympathetic, not make him into a different person :p

Mira_Jade and ViariSkywalker like this.
  21. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Week Nine Challenge: Write a poem in any style/form, and of any length.

----------------

9. Restoration (Mara Jade)

Connection, family: chimerical,
    unknown—supposed comfort, love, and yet
    a passing thought at best, unsubstantial
    like smoke; a weightless sentiment to turn
    dispassionately away from. It had
    no hold on one like her, who stood alone
    and strong always; less even than a dream,
    for dreams are wished-for things, and she never
    had missed, or asked, desired—never knew
    the prison walls around her, solid, high
    unseen but binding and insidious,
    and she had never noticed, never looked
    beyond, or wondered over what could have
    been—should have been—hers, never even thought
    to seek; instead accepting—loyal and
    obedient and blind—of all that which
    was given (dictated, demanded and
    imposed). Alone and proud in solitude,
    the lies that shaped her life and mind and heart
    a cherished fantasy; not knowing the
    loss suffered nor the wound inflicted. Not
    until familiar strangers, somehow known
    despite her heart’s defiance, carefully
    and gently, their eyes brimming with hope and
    with love—for her?—reached out to draw the lost
    and longed-for child, beloved, back within
    the fold, embracing her, becoming them.
    Restored, renewed, what had been shattered now
    transformed to whole once more. Her caution turned
    to joy, the gaping wound that she had long
    denied, now healed, the hollow where her heart
    had been, now filled. Happiness cascading—
    astonishing to one so long alone
    and unaware of any lack. And like
    the stars appearing in a dusky sky
    at sunset, those she loves abound yet more
    and more; the walls that once defined all that
    she was now crumbled, dust that blows away,
    a nightmare dissipating in morning’s
    soft light, forgotten, brushed away as life
    begins anew—the pain exchanged for love
    and freedom unimagined, glorious,
    an overflowing joy that multiplies,
    creating family from blood and choice.
    A life she never knew she needed, like
    the air she breathes. She blossoms, radiant,
    adored, adoring, knowing peace at last.

Nehru_Amidala, Kahara, Bel505 and 3 others like this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Mara's life revealed in a poem

23. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    First of all, I knew you could do it. [face_mischief] ;)

Second, this is awesome. [:D]

Third... I've realized poetry is somehow harder to reply to than prose (at least for me), so this is mainly going to be me quoting big chunks that I loved in particular and just slapping these guys all over them: [face_love] =D=

for dreams are wished-for things is a really great turn of phrase, and it sort of represents one of the things that really struck me about this entire poem: there's a very lyrical and even dreamlike quality to the whole thing that stands in such contrast to Mara's personality and how she was raised, but here it fits. And look at you throwing insidious in there. *nods in approval* This was an excellent encapsulation of the lie of Mara's young life, right here.

Seriously though, dreams are wished-for things would be a good title for a story... [face_thinking]

=(( :_| [face_love]

I especially love "becoming them" [face_love]

Look at you go, you poet, you. ;) [face_love]

I LOVE this. Everything is perfect. [face_love] =D= Congratulations on becoming a legit poet, babe. ;) [:D]

*gloats forever*

Bel505, Mira_Jade and Gabri_Jade like this.
  24. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    @earlybird-obi-wan
    Indeed!

@ViariSkywalker
    I did not :p

Aw, shucks [face_blush] (But it is, isn't it? I'm so stinking proud of myself :D)

Yeah, I honestly don't know how to review poetry either [face_thinking] I'll take the emoticons :D

I really liked that bit, too, and I couldn't tell you where it came from, but I think that's where my brain fully shifted into poetry gear instead of prose [face_thinking] I don't know exactly where the lyrical and dreamlike quality came from, either, except - and this might sound silly :p - because I was using blank verse instead of a more universally recognized poetry aspect, like an obvious rhyme scheme or the structure of a sonnet or haiku, I was trying to capture the soul of a poem within the confines of the iambic pentameter (I'll never get tired of saying that phrase :p) rhythm. And although I've read plenty of poetry, it's just not even in the same galaxy as the quantity of prose I've read, and I've read very little blank verse, so I was really flying by the seat of my pants here. And because it's what comes naturally to me as a prose writer, I found myself trying to convey a fairly straightforward narrative of Mara's life, and the effect that being reunited with her family had on her, so - yeah, between telling a prose-like story in an unfamiliar format that lacked the most obvious tells of a poem, I wound up leaning into the "lyrical and dreamlike" thing to make it feel more like a poem [face_thinking] But once "insidious" popped into my head, I knew I had to make it fit :D

I'm pretty sure you'll write a story that suits that title before I will, so you can snag it if you want :*

:D:D:D

It's such a strange concept for Mara to be part of a "them" in any context more personal than "Imperial" that even just that word alone would mean so much when applied to her [face_love]

[face_blush] :D :cool:

Seriously, I'm not going to lie, I'm so proud :D (thanksfortheterriblepromptIloveit)

I'll allow it :p

Bel505 and ViariSkywalker like this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Mara Jade, Imperial agent with no fulfillment to Jedi badass mom!