main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Frank Oz Defends Jar Jar Binks

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Prisic Duskleap, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    I just came across this video and I don't know if this has been posted in here or not but all I know is I have even more respect for Frank Oz now. As most PT fans know the hate for Jar Jar is very strong by the anti PT crowd that is why I respect OZ for not only defending the character but admitting it was also his favorite character.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    thanks for sharing!

I've got a lot of respect for Oz too!

Cryogenic and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That was cathartic.

4. friedbantha

friedbantha Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    But! But! He sucks! Everyone says so! You're not allowed to have an individual opinion!

5. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Frank Oz...The mighty and Powerful Oz has done it again..

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    There are a lot of people who like the PT that hate Jar Jar too :) But yeah good for him to be willing to admitt that considering what the reaction to that tends to be.

7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I dont need anyone to defend Jar Jar. He's a good character. (respect for Frank Oz though)

PT-haters: Complain that every character is supposedly boring to watch and one-dimensional
    PT-haters: complain about Jar Jar Binks because he is just "too much"

George Lucas, you cant win, my friend! So dont even try it!

8. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Yay. someone involved in the PT who doesn't give a "But, " to every nice thing they say, Like Ahmed Best.

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

To be fair, I don't think Frank Oz cares. That's what comes of playing Yoda, personal tutor to Luke Skywalker, and Miss Piggy, boisterous courter of Kermit The Frog.

Of course, massive respect to Frank Oz. He's been a George fan for the longest time and it shows.

These men, along with Jim Henson, actually know what it means to sacralize the absurd.

Even if many Star Wars fans are seemingly incapable of exhibiting -- or understanding -- such joy.

10. friedbantha

friedbantha Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    The fact that this is even discussion worthy rubs me the wrong way. It's amazing just how much people misunderstand Jar Jar. I agree with you that Oz doesn't care, but more importantly he also understands Jar Jar and the role Jar Jar plays.

Sacralize was an excellent word.

11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think Disney retcon the Muppets so Miss Piggy and Kermit are broken up now on the new show. What is it with Disney making these weird changes to whatever they buy?

leiamoody and Ezon Pin like this.
  12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting.

Yoda is one of my favourite parts of the OT, he seems quite warmly presented in ESB and ROTJ, cool to hear Jar Jar getting some respect from the man behind him.

I actually like most moments with Jar Jar in TPM, could have done without some of his antics in the final battle, but generally I like his innocence contrasting the more serious issues that underlie the film.

13. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    The legendary Frank Oz is defending and even likes Jar Jar Binks?

PT detractors' and haters' reaction:

EDIT: I've finished listening to what Frank Oz said and I tried so hard resisting to laugh in my office! This is certainly a finger to haters! [face_laugh]

My respects to Frank Oz! He's not shy to express his honest opinion!

14. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I love, love Frank Oz. The Muppets are insane. I've made sure that my kids watch the original Muppet Show episodes now; it's one of those things I watch as an adult and am like "I can't believe this was a real TV show." It's gloriously weird fun.

Love it. Love him. Good on him for these comments.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  15. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Lol you should read some of the comments from the PT haters on this video. Some are considering him to be trolling because it just can't possibly be his honest opinion I mean he knows the rules right? You must hate Jar Jar with a passion to be in the cool crowd. I just love that the PT haters can clearly see that not only is the PT not universally hated but so is Jar Jar. Way to go Oz much respect.

earlchinna, Shaak Ti and SW Saga Fan like this.
  16. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    That did happen but I am pretty sure it wasn't Mandated By The Mouse. Just the direction the production team took of their own volition as far as I can tell.

17. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I can also imagine some PT haters reaction when they'll find out that Oz was really serious: "Frank Oz must have questionable or bad taste in order to be a Jar Jar Binks fan!"

Yeah, because during your childhood, you loved The Muppets Show, Sesame Street, Yoda and everything Frank Oz was behind it, so automatically, you must also have a "bad taste" if you're liking Frank Oz's work which originates from "bad taste"...

18. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Man I love this. Frank Oz is the best. And lol at his sidestepping questions about TFA.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's not a retcon. The Muppets franchise has never been consistent with Kermit and Piggy beyond that she's in love with him and he kinda loves her. In the show, Kermit had finally reached the point where he had no choice but to break up with her, because she had become too self-absorbed. Besides, it has made for interesting story telling.

And these people will say that they're for kids, that they grew up and "Star Wars" isn't for kids.

20. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The only thing I can do when hearing those types of arguments from PT detractors and haters, trying to defend their position and justify how some people have "questionable taste", is the following:

[​IMG]

21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Still it is weird, guess each new team will have their own ideas of how a franchise should be like with Doctor Who.

22. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    As i "always" say. Kids are themselves without reproach, Adults are someone else with reproach. Who do you think is living life the right way? Adulthood sucks because you let it

Subtext Mining and SuperPersch like this.
  23. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    He is also Lucas' favorite character.

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I certainly don't hate Jar Jar, but he's not in my top 100 SW characters.

Moll and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  25. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    To be honest, I think this makes a lot of sense. Frank Oz is famous for Sesame Street. Jar Jar gives me similar vibes—something like a more mature version of Elmo or a more childlike version of Grover. I have heard it argued that Yoda was basically doing a Jar Jar impression in Empire to strikes back. I can just imagine that conversation…

Obi-wan [Force-ghost]: I am sending you Anakin's son to train to be a Jedi.
    Yoda: Fear for him, I do, lest the path of his father he follow. How shall I test him?
    Obi-wan: Well, when I was a young Jedi, I can tell you what sort of character got on my nerves…

Huttese 101 likes this.