main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Freighter Model

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by olas72, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olas72

olas72 Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2003
    Not sure how much I like the back of the freighter, but the front came out ok, kind of reminds me of the Bossk ship. Not sure what I want to do for textures yet, but what do you all think?

Front
    Back

concept

2. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Looks like a cross between the hounds tooth and the AOTC planetary transport ship...

nice modelling job so far!

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i like it. the back is fine.

4. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Great stuff there. I especially like the obscene amount of greebling in that section of the back.

5. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Do I see apropriated use of the greeble plugin here?

-Matt

6. lolleader

lolleader Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2000
    I like the overall shape & look of the vessel, but the greebling is too random - perhaps make it more deliberate and purposeful, so it looks more convincing as part of the ship?

Thanks for sharing the shots!

7. olas72

olas72 Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2003
    Fair enough, the back greebling was simply because I didn't really have any plans for back there. Although the belly greeble and the little bit on the top is based on the concept drawing (which are from the star wars battleground video game)

There?s probably a low poly alternative, but I was going to map on some blinking lights to the belly and top but generally leave it pretty dark. I'm hoping the detail from the greeble would pick up enough light and give a real sense of depth. I could, I guess just plate the belly, but I'm a big fan of exposed machinery.

I figure I'm going to hunt around for some more reference material and see if I can come up with a better back piece. Thanks for everyone?s comments.

8. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    pretty cool project you are working on man!

9. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    not bad at all, very star wars looking. But please, don't use Greeble plugin

10. olas72

olas72 Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2003
    OK, i guess the concensus is that greeble is bad. For one I can't understand why, and if the plan is to avoid using greeble, is there some simple modeling tricks for making detailed random machinary areas, or is it all crazy modeling grunt work.

It doesn't take a whole lot of skill to be doing the stuff that greeble does, its just very time intensive. Any thoughts from anyone?

11. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Great model so far. I really like the design and shape of it. Yeah, like others have said, don't use the greeble plugin. The things it does is so noticable that people tend to lose some interest in it. The greeble plugin does mostly sharp angles (boxes) at random heights and size. I know it's time consuming but doing your own greebling is well worth it and people will like it even more. And it's true, I saw the front image render and thought, "Oh, cool! That looks great!" and then I clicked on the back render and saw that one spot overfilled with the greeble plugin use and thought, "Oh man, why??!" ;)

12. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Looks nice, but it is over-greebled on the back.

13. 007master

007master Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2002
    I like it. The concept art looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.